[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Besides the Nee Geo Pocket (+color) and Game Boy (+color), what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: tttt.jpg (40KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
tttt.jpg
40KB, 800x533px
Besides the Nee Geo Pocket (+color) and Game Boy (+color), what other retro handhelds have a library that is worth looking into? And I don't just mean for emulating, I mean for actually spending money on and collecting.
>>
>>3883028
Oh God, I want that game boxole now.
>>
>>3883028
>worth looking into...for actually spending money on and collecting
You shouldn't be making these decisions based on monetary value but if you are, any retro gaming stuff you buy is likely to hold it. Try not to lose them, handhelds are way easier to lose. I have a terrible track record.
>>
>>3883028
Ahem.
The WonderSwan (made by Bandai) was also great and the color model was at a midpoint between a Neo Geo Pocket and a Game Boy Advanced.
It's killer franchise was a series of Digimon games which were ALL part of the official canon continuity between all manga and anime versions.
It also had great versions of known franchises such as MegaMan, Klonoa, Ghost n' Goblins, Tekken, and some Squaresoft games, just to name a few.

One of it's best Digimon RPGs had an official English translation, too.
>>
>>3883028

Game Gear and TurboExpress are the only ones that immediately come to mind. GG had a terrible battery life though, and the capacitors are pretty much ticking time bombs. TurboExpress allows you to play the full library of TG16 games on-the-go, but I'm sure it's absurdly overpriced by now.

If you're open to imports, then a WonderSwan, WS Color or WS Crystal might be a good investment. The handheld has a pretty solid library, but it was never released outside of Japan. Note that there are some technical differences between the original WS and the Color / Crystal models. Not all WSC games are backward-compatible with the original grayscale WonderSwan.
>>
>>3883061
I meant worth looking into from a monetary perspective in the sense that the games are good enough that they're worth actually buying, sorry if that was unclear. I'm not trying to flip them for profit.

>>3883062
Isn't the vast majority of its best games untranslated? I mean if its possible to mod the thing to run romhacks I'd still be cool with it since I like playing on the original hardware, I'm just asking.
>>
>>3883043
if you use google reverse image search you should be able to find a website where you can buy them custom made
>>
>>3883073
>Isn't the vast majority of its best games untranslated?
Eeeyup.
>>
>>3883073
Handheld games are still really really cheap. Not as cheap as some Android remake probably but close to it loose. The consoles themselves are moderately expensive, often beat up and generally in need of screen replacement and capping.

Game Boys are the cheapest hardware, pretty durable and the games are still mostly reasonable unless you want non-bootleg pokemon games. Get yourself an SP and start collecting. For any other platform, just keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on. Like Anon said, TurboExpress/PCE-GTs are awesome but will cost you near $300 for a good example.
>>
>>3883028
The shape of that thing looks uncomfortable.
A game boy advance sp 101 with the Nes Classic ports are such a bless. They are great and I really reccomend the console.
Ds and Psp are very good for emulation tho. But I really like the ds for the comfyness of the emulators (wich are not perfect) but they are very cool.
>>
The Lynx? The actual games are high quality, but the LCD and battery life suck.
>>
>>3883143
God, why are surfing games so rare? Even back when extreme sports games took off in the nineties there were barely any made.
>>
>>3883143
There's a screen replacement and vga output mod combo now some McWill dude, iirc
>>
>>3883028
Totally depends on you. What you like. Price vs McIncome, etc. GG has a great library. SMS+ and is cheap as chips. The console itself is pretty shit though.

>>3883061
>take shit advice from a basement troll
Top kek kid
>>
I know it's not retro but now is the time to go nuts on DS games. The only ones that are ridiculously priced are games that are expensive because they legitimately had very low production runs and they aren't games anyone wants anyway unless they're going for a full set.

It's got a bunch of amazing retro style games that would be right at home on the Saturn. I imagine prices will start to get stupid in about 5-10 years, especially complete games since gamestop is still taking DS games but they throw away all the boxes/manuals and sell them cart only.
>>
>>3883072
When you take away the Game Gear games that are ports of Master System games there isn't much there.
>>
>>3883043
This is why GBA will never be allowed hipster baby
>>
>>3883684

What's your point? I don't think OP would rather be stuck at home with a Master System tethered to a TV set. This thread is about gaming on the go.
>>
>>3885064
The games are better on Master System, the console they were designed for.
>>
>>3883571
I only get a few hours a week down there anymore if I'm lucky.
>>
>>3885778
So where do you troll from these days?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (131KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
131KB, 1001x1001px
>>3883590
Some of the highest priced games on the DS right now are Pokemon. If you can find a legit cart for sale among all the pre-loaded R4s.

Those didn't sell poorly and didn't exactly have low production.
>>
>>3886483
The ones that go for stupid money are the not for resale carts. Heart gold and soul silver are the most expensive standard release pokemon games and even those are going for around 40 bucks loose and 50-60 complete. 15-20 bucks more than MSRP for a complete copy is still pretty reasonable in a world of $200+ CIB SNES games.
>>
>>3886020
I'm not trolling at all. I am greater than or equal to 50% sincere in every post - barring obvious facetiousness of course.
>>
>>3886628
Being a natural born troll doesn't mean you aren't trolling sport.
>>
>>3886624
Above the original retail price is stupid and crazy to me on any console.

Which is probably why I mostly pirate nowadays
>>
>>3887582
Paying any amount of money is crazy to a poorfag

Which is probably why people laugh at you so much
>>
>>3883043
Meh. $500 hipster shit? I've made better shit for $10 in a hobby box
>>
>>3887582
The vast majority of games on DS are below their MSRP, you were talking about the most expensive ones. My point was that most games on it are still ridiculously affordable and the amount of games with boxes/manuals is being slowly chipped away at since gamestop is throwing them away every day. Now's the time to get in on DS.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.