[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just bought a purple drank n64 with two controllers for $40 off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

File: il_570xN.721820355_6t1q.jpg (47KB, 570x321px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.721820355_6t1q.jpg
47KB, 570x321px
just bought a purple drank n64 with two controllers for $40 off craigslist. why does /vr/ hate this console so much?

also good deals thread
>>
A good chunk of people who hate on the N64 are just resentful that it was the party machine of choice while growing up and not the PS1 or *chortle* Saturn.
>>
>>3881350
Saturn had the good fighting game arcade ports though.

but yeah the whole n64 hate meme is console warriors that are still resentful, or just people who want to hate on popular things in general, i.e contrarians.
>>
>>3881342
>why does /vr/ hate this console so much?
that is generalizing a bit

The console doesn't have a lot of games. Handful of really great ones but overall the library isn't very impressive.
>>
>>3881342

/vr/ is not one person. I don't think I've ever seen an N64 hate thread. Many of us probably owned both an N64 and a PS1 at some point.

The only threads I've seen that might vaguely resemble N64 "hate" are those noting that the N64 didn't have a huge third-party library.
>>
>>3881361
There used to be a guy who made daily anti-N64 threads and posts 24/7, but that was around 2014/2015.
>>
>>3881361
newfag
>>
>>3881369
>There used to be a guy who made daily anti-N64 threads and posts 24/7, but that was around 2014/2015.

I don't think I started posting here until 2016. I took a long hiatus from 4chan back in 2010 and only recently came back.

I do recall a number of anti-Dreamcast threads at one point though.
>>
>>3881352
>Saturn fighting game ports
>good
>>
File: Vampire_Savior_SS_A.jpg (266KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Vampire_Savior_SS_A.jpg
266KB, 1000x1000px
>>3881384
What are you trying to imply?

Also, even the ones who didn't use the extra RAM, like Night Warriors or SFA2, are still much better than the PS1 ports.
>>
>>3881387
saturn is shit
>>
File: 7869875.jpg (207KB, 1184x713px) Image search: [Google]
7869875.jpg
207KB, 1184x713px
Got these for 100$ from a friend.

By today's standards, i'd say it's a good deal. Pic is blurry, he didn't really care. Still didn't pick em up.
>>
>>3881387
any port that isn't arcade perfect is ipso facto trash
http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior/FAQ#Best_way_to_play_Vampire_Savior.2C_console_release_or_otherwise.3F
>>
>>3881350
N64 had some of the best party games but not too many numberwise. Saturn had a ton of fun multiplayer games, best bomberman was on saturn. Best fire pro was on saturn. Virtual on, gunbird, tons of fighting games superior to competing versions, and some good co op games to boot. Having a saturn, a snes and an n64 hooked up makes for some very fun nights.

That is, if you have friends.
N64 is a huge normie meme which makes vr want to be contrarian, but saturn games are so expensive they have to settle on psx or collect autistic 80s c systems that didnt even work in their time
>>
>>3881405
>recommends PS2 version

didn't that one have input lag?
I'll take the Saturn version over Resurrection by the way.
>>
>>3881415
>>>/eventscrubs/
>>
>>3881342
I don't hate it, but the library it offers just does not pull me in nowadays except maybe 5 games. I had the console when it came out and played it a shitton, sold most of it 5 years ago and it wasn't worth shit. Now the meme boys grew up and have disposable cash for hobbies so the prices skyrocketed, so even less a reason to jump on the n64 train... Only game I would like to play again is killer instinct gold vs somebody, but since I'm on vr it means I don't have any friends anyway...
>>
File: 5433556.jpg (27KB, 405x285px) Image search: [Google]
5433556.jpg
27KB, 405x285px
>>3881428
>posing as a tourneyfag on an anonymous image board about retro games
>>
>>3882134
It's just mad Playstation fanboys who can't accept Saturn got special treatment by Capcom when it comes to arcade ports (or, well, that Saturn is better at 2D period), so they try to lump the Saturn's ports along with the shitty PS1 ports.
>>
>>3881342

That's weird I've only been here a short while but I see a lot of love for the goldeneye and mariokart box where the ps1 is always hilariously referred to as an fmv box.
>>
>>3881350
>*chortle*

That made me chortle.
>>
>>3881342
I think they are very jelous at how the N64 is in general. Not so much about the technical part but how it was recieved so fondly by society and how over the time people loved it even more.
It's a very fun console with big long hits for the 1 player mode and great for multiplayer with friends. Also a lot of games for the console are very iconic and colourful and they are remembered a lot by the masses and those games are the complete opposite of niche obscure games (wich /vr/ hipsters love the most).
The critics LOVED N64 games even saying that Ocarina Of Time, Majoras Mask and Super Mario 64 are the best games ever made for years and years.
Imagine how buttblasted you'll be if you are a raging sony/sega fanboy all your life and a lot of critics and people around the world are saying that the games for a console that you always hated for not having has the best games ever made.
It creates a long resentment for decades and decades.
>>
File: 1486532532014.jpg (241KB, 980x1306px) Image search: [Google]
1486532532014.jpg
241KB, 980x1306px
>>3881342
Good choice. Purple would've been my second pick, but I went with smoke.
>>
>>3881342
>hate
I don't think people hate it, is just that it's overrated by nintendrones who decades later can't shut up about how it's the best console ever when it's arguably Ninty's weakest offering not counting the Wii U
>>
>>3881342
gonna go ahead and ignore everything else and treat this as a "good deals thread" I guess

I went to a flea market and got all this+a couple empty cases for PS2, DS, and the empty gameboy box for about $15

all I wanted was the memory cards but the price I was given for everything was too good
>>
File: laughing girls.gif (742KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
laughing girls.gif
742KB, 200x200px
>>3881350
>party machine

Yeah Im sure you had a good time playing with your mom and day
>>
>>3881350
I remember being an excited little kid upgrading from an NES to 64. I thought the graphics looked great! Then wishing a year or so I didn't think they looked great. Then playing crash warped I really thought they didn't look great. But I still had loads of fun playing multiplayer shit. Then years passed and it went untouched. Then later in my college years we decided to go retro. We'd been playing a lot of GameCube so why not try out something older that we all had fond memories of. The 64 is absolute shit.
>>
>>3884154
Now that's what I'd call a projection.
>>
1. the controller is retarded
2. It's the number 1 normie console, and this board is full of autists

The N64 was for the popular kids who would regularly host sleepovers to play mario kart, smash brothers, pokemon stadium and goldeneye. Now those same popular kids are grown up, and taking their tinder dates back to their apartments after drinking at the bar, as a pretense for fucking.

Where as the PS1 is for playing metal gear solid, castlevania, ace combat and other games by yourself, or maybe with one friend.
>>
>>3885640

So, people here are projecting their shit personalities on gaming consoles instead of enjoying gaming?
>>
>>3885663
not entirely. If you've never played multiplayer N64, there's no reason to think it's a better console. Smash Brother, MK64, Wave Race 64, Mario Party, and goldeneye are premier titles and none are exactly amazing by yourself. Outside of the few good single player games; SM64, OoT/Majora's Mask, and various others like perhaps Turok (was partly a multiplayer game even) and Star Fox 64, it paled in comparison to the PS1's singleplayer library.

Yes the PS1 had multiplayer games, yes the N64 had singleplayer games, but it's pretty obvious that both had their specialty. There's definitely some virtue in being an introvert autist, don't get me wrong, and playing mario kart 64 with 3 friends is not an inherently better experience than playing Symphony of the Night by yourself.

My point is, overall a group of people disliking the N64 over the Playstation is probably a reflection of their introversion. Honestly I can't imagine thinking Smash Bros is a good game if I'd never played it with a bunch of people.
>>
>>3881342
The frame rate kills it for me. I had one growing up and I loved it, but took a 10-15 year hiatus from it and just picked it up again recently. 4 player goldeneye is fucking painful
>>
>>3885640
If you played multiplayer games with your friends in 98 & 99, you were not fucking popular. Especially if you played Pokémon stadium
>>
>>3881342

um we don't? there's like one or two faggots here with absolute shit taste that hate it, that's it.
>>
File: idiot.jpg (4KB, 187x140px) Image search: [Google]
idiot.jpg
4KB, 187x140px
>>3885640
>The N64 was for the popular kids who would regularly host sleepovers to play mario kart, smash brothers, pokemon stadium and goldeneye
Yeah, those faggots and their friends having fun together as children, fucking casuals!
>>
>worst controller ever
>ugliest console ever
>only console with a worse library is the CD-i
>>
>>3886559
Yeah, the CD-i had THE FACES OF EVIL. What did the N64 have? Ocarina of Time? lmao
>>
>Tfw i will never own a special purple drank edition n64.
>>
>>3881354
>The console doesn't have a lot of games.
And the PSX has a ton of crapware. Does that make it a better console? Surely not.
>>
>>3884154
>tfw two siblings
>tfw every day is a party
>>
I fucking HATE with a passion the people who call an obviously good console like the N64 "shit". Get a life.

Why don't you call it "overrated" or "lame" or "mediocre", calling it "shit" is just not fucking in the ballpark of reality.

>>3884220
You and your fuckwit memories, nobody cares and you're absolute shit.
>>
>>3887239
And Mario 64. What else did it have compared to other relevant platforms at the time? Jack fucking shit, that's what.
>>
File: 1474677691394.jpg (67KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1474677691394.jpg
67KB, 600x400px
The PS1 was probably better than the N64. The PS1 library is targeted towards adults with adult themes like storytelling and emotions. It had a lot more of an impact on gaming. The controller was better, and discs were had their advantages, but the PS1 games also looked and handled clunky. Games on the N64 played better, like the Genesis to the SNES. Things were blurry, but not nearly as blocky. /vr/ hates the N64 because like /v/, the users place value on adult storytelling and emotional connection above all other qualities in video games. That is also why they shit on OOT.
>>
Nintendo excels at being for babies and man children who run away when they see blood because they are immature babyfags and can't handle a deep, dark, serious game like I can. Sega and Sony had games that reflected the inner darkness of my soul from having two Christmases since my parents were divorced, while Nintendo did kiddy shit because nintentoddlers are fucking babies who never had to rough it in high school like real people, like me, who had to deal with bullies and preppy douchebags since they didn't understand my real power...
>>
>>3886552
I played that........
>>
that whole gen of consoles was off. you look back at the two before or the two after and they're completely fine. ps1/n64 are problems
>>
File: fdfdsfd.webm (2MB, 850x666px) Image search: [Google]
fdfdsfd.webm
2MB, 850x666px
I wondered why this megadrive was so cheap
the fuck is wrong with it?

>S3 cartridge battery still not dead
ayyy
>>
>good deals thread

>used to work at a pawn shop when in college (~2 years ago)
>some retarded middle-aged woman brings in a bunch of shit from her garage all packed in a box
>find a PS1, but it's missing the AV cable
>store policy is that we can't buy a console without testing it first because customers are retards who will break everything and try to resell it
>tell her I can't buy it unless we have a PS1 AV cable
>we don't
>"Eh, just have it anyway, I don't care"
>store owner doesn't want it either
>take it home
>buy AV cable for like $5
>test everything out, it works perfectly
>there's a copy of Spyro 3 inside

tl;dr I got a PS1 and a copy of Spyro 3 for $5.
>>
>>3887340
it does have a ton of crapware, but a whole other ton of pretty good to perfect games too
>>
>>3887787

It looks trippy dude. I think the drive is tripping balls dude. Lol. 420 indeed. Did you feed it acid and speedballs lol.
>>
>>3887893
>but a whole other ton of pretty good to perfect games too
I doubt about "ton".
It has a bunch of good games, dunno any perfect one.
>>
>>3886557
He never implied anything negative about kids like that.
>>
>>3881354
Exactly. There's so much fanboyism when it comes to the N64. And while I agree it had some of the best games of its generation, its overall library is lacking.
>>
>>3881342
That's a hell of a deal if you really got it for $40. Most stores around here charge $130-150
>>
I don't understand how this console gets any hate. Aesthetically it's rad, it has an iconic library and rarely are there any hardware issues with it. The thing had all the Nintendo first party games as well as Blitz, No Mercy, Ken Griffey JR, Glover, GoldenEye, Banjo, and tons of other rad games. The only knock on it is the controller is bad
>>
>>3888052
I don't hate the console. I just hate all the hype and circlejerking that come along with it. If everyone could shut up about Goldeneye for a second, that would be great.
>>
>>3881342
>inferior to PS1
>cartridge format
>stupid controller designed by a monkey
>20 games worth playing
>A fraction of those are still playable today
>>
>>3888087
Nailed it.
>>
>>3887893
Not more than the N64. And it's looking pretty dour aside from RPGs, Metal Gear Solid and some fighting games.
>>
>>3881342

I don't hate it, it's objectively the best console ever made. People who hate it are just jealous sonyfags.
>>
>>3888087

>inferior to PS1

inferior in which way? Not hardware. Nor quality games.

>cartridge format

which proves to be more durable and better for collectors nowadays. Also, no loading screens or the need for memory card in most games.

>stupid controller designed by a monkey

there is nothing wrong with the controller other than the fact the analog stick wears down with time. Stop being a stupid memelord repeating "hurr durr n64 controller sux"

>20 games worth playing

it shows how little you know the n64 library.

>A fraction of those are still playable today

Which is way more than you can say about the ps1.
>>
>>3888274
Not him, but the N64 rose-tinted glasses today's gamers wear sure are thick.

Both the PS1 and N64 didn't have the best libraries, because at that time gaming was becoming more about an "experience" than solid gameplay. I get shit for this every single time, but Mario 64 is a perfect example of how gameplay was pushed to the side for a "pretty", "gee-whiz" experience for new gamers of the time that didn't know any better, propped up by Nintendo paying for good reviews. The controller was imprecise, the camera was terrible, and the only way you were able to play the game past the relatively easy and forgiving first few levels (which seems to be the only ones people remember) is sheer repetition and expecting the problems those terrible issues caused. People will point to these OCD GOFAST players as evidence that SM64 has good controls, but really, all they're doing is being good via insane repetition and memorization of exact control stick positioning and button timings, making the game sort of an extension of Dragon's Lair; meanwhile the older Mario games were less about memorization and more about watching what happens, properly reacting to it, and knowing what to expect because the controls and camera weren't a limiting factor.

Many other games for the N64 (and PS1) were the same way, and the controller was just a hideous mess, made for tiny hands and having a control stick that was overyly floppy, imprecise, and didn't take advantage of its full range of movement.

It and its contemporaries essentially ended the retro gaming era and ushered in the new era of gaming that continues today where showy games trump quality.
>>
>>3884096
I think that Gameshark needs a memory card.
>>
I guess I'm the only one who has an N64 sitting lovingly next to their PS1.
>>
>>3881403
holy shit earthbound
>>
>>3881342
I hate myself for selling my n64 Jungle set, one of these days I will get one again
At the time I was one of the few kids that had one, everyone else had a ps1 because they could get pirated games on the street market
>>
>>3881342
It's not like I hate it.
It was never represented in my country back then, and I'm not a fan of Nintendo franchises, multiplayer "party" games or 3D platformers. My favorite genres are shmups, fighting games, arcade games and JRPGs. That's why N64 library is kind of "not for me".

I thionk most people who love N64 are Americans who had it as their first/second console growing up.

I still got it last year to plat Wonder Project J2. 800 JPY for base unit, 1000 JPY for controller.
>>
>>3888289
I dunno about gamesharks but I'm pretty sure that's just an action replay thing

unfortunately the gameshark doesn't seem to work anyway

maybe if I buff it out it'd be good to go but I dunno

what matters most is that syphon filter 2 and evil zone(although with minor audio issues) work fine
>>
>>3888283
>The controller was imprecise, the camera was terrible
Compared to what? Keep in mind it was pretty much the first game of its kind to do 3D right.
>sheer repetition
2D platformers (or most genres) before it had repetition by killing you all the time. It's how we used to define a game as challenging. I remember few problems with controls and camera forcing me to repeat sections. Wet-Dry World and the rainbow level had me fall down a couple times, but that's it.
>>
>>3887787
sick LGBT rights filter broski
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.