[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the definitive way to play NES games on the tv? -Modded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: whole-console-top.jpg (381KB, 1100x825px) Image search: [Google]
whole-console-top.jpg
381KB, 1100x825px
What is the definitive way to play NES games on the tv?

-Modded NES Classic
-clone system + flashcart/multicart
-legit system + flashcart/multicart
-legit system + legit carts (lol)
-Emulation through something like retropi
-Emulation through another console, such as the wii

And for the tv itself
-crt, flat or not
-lcd, led, plasma, whatever modern HDTVs are using now
>>
NESRGB for CRTs or FPGA clone for HDTVs
>>
...or a regular nes hooked to an sdcrt via composite, depending on your definition of "definitive"
>>
>FAMICOM 2
>Original NES pad
>Everdrive N8 Flaschart
>convert to play NTSC-U games

>PAL NES for PAL exclusives
>>
>>3880259
This clears things up
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5MZh-AYVs
>>
>>3880262
For HDTV the best solution is the Hidef right now.
Three points speaking for that:
-Works alongside the original hardware
-Does 1080p unlike the the affordable fpga clone, the AVS, which only does 720p (=> Lag)
-Doesn't cost you 500$ like the better fpga clone, the NT mini
>>
>>3880313
Is the hidef a legitimate PPU replacement like the NESRGB? I was under the impression it was an upscaler.
>>
>>3880318
Neither the NESRGB nor the Hi-Def NES replace the PPU, they merely intercept the data sent from and to the chip and construct a displayable image data from it. You could prolly say it works alongside the PPU.
In case of the Hi-Def, it also sockets the CPU to read button presses(for the ig menu), overclock the system(if activated) etc.
The Hi-Def creates pure digital audio and image directly from the intercepted data, not any kind of analog audio or video so it doesn't upscale anything. So unless you count your display's lag it's virtually lag-free.
>>
>>3880321
I just remembered, this guy also did the real side-by-side lag test with the Hi-Def
http://retrorgb.com/hidefnes.html
Just scroll all the way down.
>>
File: Hi-DefNESZeroLag[1].jpg (43KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
Hi-DefNESZeroLag[1].jpg
43KB, 500x366px
>>3880335
Amazing! I was extremely suspicious of that guy when he originally announced that thing on youtube but I'm officially on-board now. Kevtris is getting the ANT Mini to do some very interesting things but as far as NES only gaming I'll hand it to the Hidef.
>>
>>3880259
NES Mini.
>>
>>3880348
Why would you be suspicious of Kevtris? He made both the NT Mini and the Hi-Def.

He's probably one of the most knowledgeable people in this retrogaming/electronics/fpga programming niche alongside bunnyboy, the creator of the AVS.
>>
>>3880401
Do either the Hi-Def NES or RGB NES have a scanline option?
>>
>>3880401
He just gave me a weird impression the first time I heard him talk but now I'm a believer. It was purely superficial and shallow of me.
>>
>>3880452
The NESRGB doesn't have any kind of configuration options other than palette which can be selected with a physical switch.
The Hi-Def NES does have scanline settings. You can choose between normal scanlines, x2, x3, x4 and x5, as well as their depth. The multiplied options are there to make scanlines look better in 1080p since normal ones don't fit the pixels correctly since 1080p isn't an integer scale of 240p.
It's not a perfect fix and I can't explain it perfectly myself but Kevtris mentions it in this part of his development update series of the kit itself
https://youtu.be/qlb0E_jkYts?t=3m45s
If you want perfectly fitting scanlines you won't get around switching to a resolution which is an integer multiple of 240p, which for the Hi-Def would be 720p (You can set the output resolution in the settings)
>>
>>3880469
Here's a few direct captures I did a while back in case you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrZVP1k6CJy32z0xRWnI2eQ/videos

Another reason I like it more than the NESRGB for is that installing it is a lot cleaner/easier than the NESRGB.
1. Desolder PPU and CPU
2. Solder socket in place of PPU and CPU
3. Put PPU and CPU into sockets of interposers PCBs (board between the PPU/CPU and the Mainboard that intercept the data from and to the MB)
4. Cut case to fit the HDMI socket
5. Desolder voltage regulator from NES mobo
6. Connect NES to Vcc and GND on the Hi-Def PCB
7. Put the Hi-Def PCB into the case
8. Put flat flex cables into their sockets on the Hi-Def PCB and the interposers
9. Put interposers into the sockets where PPU/CPU were
10. Close case
Done.

With the NESRGB you have to wire everything yourself and depending on what exactly you want, you'll have to do stuff differently.
All the Hi-Def needs are two flat flex cables and two wires to supply the NES with electricity (since the Hi-Def replaces the original voltage regulator)

Of course, if you want to play on a CRT you'll still need the NESRGB or composite but for modern displays it's pretty great.
>>
>>3880259
Superior FC versions on a FC connected to a curved tube via RF.
>>
>>3880259
Depends on what type of tv you have.

If it's HD I honestly just recommend using a high-accuracy emulator like MESEN in conjunction with a NES pad for PC, but if its CRT then you cannot beat original hardware (though I'd still recommend using a modded console that can run pirated copies of games)
>>
>>3880321
I believe it's an NESRGB and also an upscaler, it's all just stuffing FPGAs into your NES anyway. LAME.
>>
>>3880670
this, channel 95 for life.
>>
>>3880259
PC, Windows 7, CRT Emudriver, Retroarch or Nestopia, SD CRT, controller of your choice.
>>
Either an NES on a CRT (Modded for decent output) or a GOOD clone for HD. not a retron or another emulator machine, if you want to do that just buy an NES classic because that at least looks cuter
>>
>>3880259
Only two reasonable answers. Legit system on a crt, or emulation on a HDTV. Anything else is a fucking meme. flash or legit carts don't matter as much.
>>
>>3881216
>windows

wew
>>
File: Bill-Gates--005[1].jpg (29KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Bill-Gates--005[1].jpg
29KB, 460x276px
>>3881516
>emulating on not windows
>>
Emulation on a CRT.
>>
>>3881216

I see you too like your pixels clean.
>>
File: water.png (1MB, 638x917px) Image search: [Google]
water.png
1MB, 638x917px
>>3881557
>not emulating on not windows
>>
>>3881216
how are you getting the VGA/dvi to component/composite? CRT emudriver only does 240p output, not turn dvi/vga to component/composite.
>>
>>3882253
VGA is RGB
>>
File: connectix.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
connectix.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>>3881557
Don't hate on not windows emulation.

VGS was a trip.
>>
>>3882456
that's what I'm talking about
>>
Original console, actual carts, on a tube tv, flat or not doesnt matter too much.
Any way else isnt authentic
>>
File: -29221110075649260[1].jpg (35KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
-29221110075649260[1].jpg
35KB, 500x375px
>>3880259
This is the definitive manner to play NES games.

NES (toaster)
13-19" CRT television made before year 2000
RF adapter
Official cart
3rd party controller with turbo function
>>
>>3880259
Real NES + flashcart + curved Trinitron on composite.
>>
>>3882698
This is correct, but replace NES with a superior AV Famicom.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.