[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does there exist an example of a Game Boy port being better than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

Does there exist an example of a Game Boy port being better than the original version? Help me think of one.
>>
>>3880069
Zelda: Link's Awakening
>>
>>3880071
Literally not a port in any possible way.
>>
>>3880069
Dragon Quest III comes to mind, unless you're thinking strictly of GB and not GBC
>>
If you're including GBC many people would consider the whole NES Classics series superior ports but others would harp hard on the lower resolutions so...
>>
>>3880069
Bionic Commando, but I'm using the word "port" very loosely here.
>>
>>3880102
The NES Classics series was the Gameboy Advance, not the Gameboy Color.
>>
>>3880102
How would the NES Classics series be better than the originals? Aren't they just straight ports with lower resolution?
>>
>>3880069
Daikatana?
>>
>>3880069
I remember hearing some of the disney games were better on GB, like ducktales 2 or maybe darkwing duck.
>>
>>3880069
>Does there exist an example of a Game Boy port being better than the original version?

Off the top of my head:

>Tetris Flash / Tetris 2
The Game Boy port adds a new "puzzle" mode that doesn't exist in the Famicom version. It's a pretty elaborate addition to the game. The graphical style is also arguably more attractive, at least if you're using a Super Game Boy.

>Atomic Punk / Bomber Boy
I think this was the first Bomberman game released for Game Boy. In addition to being an original entry in the series, it also includes a straight up port of Famicom Bomberman. The port is tweaked to make levels slightly smaller in scope, which is arguably an improvement due to the game's slow pacing.

>Dig Dug
Adds a rearranged gameplay mode where you have to collect three keys to unlock the exit to each stage, all while surviving endless waves of pookas and fygars. I though it was much more enjoyable than arcade Dig Dug.

>Dragon Warrior / Quest I & II
Debatable, but there were a lot of changes for better or worse. Grinding in DQ1 is made easier by enemies giving more experience, and DQ2 gives the Prince of Cannock more sensible equipment options. Note: Although the box identifies this as a GBC game, it is in fact a dual-mode cart. (i.e. compatible with both original and Color hardware)

>Gargoyle's Quest II
Japan exclusive port of the Famicom game by the same title. A bonus level is added to this version.
>>
A link to the past? It's the same game, but packed with a second game, also an extra dungeon.
>>
>>3880108
Whoops yeah you're right.

>>3880117
So yeah, the DQs and on GBC aren't really any better - but the FFs on GBA are.

Is this a stealth GBA thread?
>>
>>3880091
The only thing I can possibly think of that it has over the SFC version is that it has an official English translation.
>>
>>3880140
>Is this a stealth GBA thread?

No. You're the only one who brought up GBA.
>>
>>3880142
Doesn't the GBC version have extra bonus content, like those board game mini-games or medals to collect? I played the game when it came out but never did the extra stuff.
>>
Personally I prefer the gb version of return of the joker to the nes version, but they're completely different games.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
Core game is faithful with a lot of improvements, but Challenge Mode is the real champ. Takes the game to a new level. Only major downside is the cropped screen.
>>
>>3880142
>>3880146
GBC has Monster Medals and an extra dungeon, other than that they're basically the same games with different graphics
>>
>>3880150
The screen is cropped so bad that the game is unplayable.
>>
>>3880204
>unplayable

Nice hyperbole.
>>
The NES version of SMB doesn't tell my horoscope, seems like a compelling upgrade to me
>>
>>3880204
Nah. It plays great, the screen crop really never hinders the gameplay. It just feels squashed compared to the original.
>>
File: Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg (26KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg
26KB, 250x251px
Donkey Kong '94

Basically the arcade version plus about 90 more stages
>>
In comparison to NES version Ghosts and Goblins is a better game on GBC. Super Mario Deluxe it's also pretty good but in North cases fuck the field of vision
>>
>>3880316

>North

Dumb phoneposter. I meant "both"
>>
>>3880069
Bionic commando, kinda? I think they're both good games, and honestly the gameboy one is different enough that it's pretty much not a port so much as just a new game, but it's marginally better than an already good game.
>>
Blues Brothers
>>
>>3880204

You can shift the camera around. Since the game never allowed backtracking, just shift the camera ahead of Mario / Luigi and leave it there. That mostly solves any issues.

Also note that the version of Super Mario Bros. 2 included with this release had quite a few things toned down to make the game more manageable with the GBC's smaller resolution. (Although many changes were also done for compatibility with the original SMB engine's limitations)
>>
>>3880316
>In comparison to NES version Ghosts and Goblins is a better game on GBC.

Aside from having password saves, I didn't really care for this version. The difficulty was toned down, and I'm not sure that any changes were made to accommodate the smaller screen.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (73KB, 751x270px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
73KB, 751x270px
Wayforward was supposed to port Xtreme Sports for the Dreamcast to the GBC, but it has nothing in common with the Dreamcast version except that it's extreme sports-themed. So I don't know if you can really call it a port. And it's subjective which one is better.
>>
>>3880150
>>3880308
These.
>>
The GBC version of Daikatana. Instead of an FPS it's a Zelda clone.
>>
>>3880142
But, his point still stands. Is GBC port better than the original on NES? Yes it is.
>>
>>3880140
>Is this a stealth GBA thread?
No, you're just retarded

>>3880142
So for the 99% of this board constantly bitching for translations it's infinitely better just on that point.
>>
File: gb_dr_mario_p_r2571i.jpg (79KB, 640x650px) Image search: [Google]
gb_dr_mario_p_r2571i.jpg
79KB, 640x650px
The GB version of Dr. Mario is better than the NES version. The NES version has wonky pill selection that just loves to give you the exact same yellow-red, or what other pill you don't need at the time, six times in a row, where as the GB version seems to have truly random pill selection. I've also seen others claim that the NES version has a certain input lag which makes beating the high level stages on the fast speeds just about impossible.
>>
>>3880129
And the added sound effects of young link from ocarina. God, that just felt dirty and wrong.
>>
File: mortal-kombat-usa-europe[1].png (313KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
mortal-kombat-usa-europe[1].png
313KB, 500x503px
>>
>>3881574
I really don't understand the point of this post. It's obviously not serious but is too ballsy to be bait.
>>
>>3880069
Not really a port, but the Gameboy version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a game than the NES version.
>>
EVERY GOD DAMN TIME I SEE THAT BUN. I AM GOING TO GET MYSELF SOME CINNAMON BUNS.
>>
>>3881856
>EVERY GOD DAMN TIME I POST HERE I BREAK THE 18+ RULE
Some day, several years from now, that will change
You'll still be breaking the shitposting rule though
>>
File: 250px-GameWatchGallery.jpg (23KB, 250x223px) Image search: [Google]
250px-GameWatchGallery.jpg
23KB, 250x223px
This whole series.
You get the original versions on one screen plus modern versions and extras.
>>
>>3881881
I'm almost 30, can't a man crave cinnamon buns?
>>
File: Kid_Dracula_(cover).jpg (95KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Kid_Dracula_(cover).jpg
95KB, 300x300px
Not necessarily a port, could be considered a sequel, but I think it qualifies.
It's definitely superior to the famicom version.
>>
>>3880128
That Dig Dug one sounds very interesting.
>>
>>3881691
You're reading too far into it
>>
>>3881951
Have to agree, this one is better.
>>
>>3880709
>The NES version has wonky pill selection that just loves to give you the exact same yellow-red, or what other pill you don't need at the time, six times in a row

As bizarre as this sounds it's 100% true. Code for the generation of the stage layouts was basically copy-pasted into the code for pill selection. Thus because each loop of the level generation is weighted toward picking a color of germ that so far appears less, the next pill is more likely to be a color that the level "needs" (i.e. the germ the level has the least of) which is the opposite of what the player needs.

Basically the NES version is a broken piece of shit.
>>
File: 1488581773022.png (3KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
1488581773022.png
3KB, 160x144px
>>3881952

I enjoyed (emulating) it. Good luck tracking down a physical copy though. Resellers want nothing less than your firstborn child for it.
>>
>>3882379
Good to know. Thanks, anon.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.