[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /vr/'s favourite NES black box games? Also do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

File: nes_black_boxes-01.jpg (412KB, 1600x663px) Image search: [Google]
nes_black_boxes-01.jpg
412KB, 1600x663px
What are /vr/'s favourite NES black box games? Also do you own any physical copies in their glorious packaging?
>>
File: hogan_0[1].jpg (70KB, 312x459px) Image search: [Google]
hogan_0[1].jpg
70KB, 312x459px
SMB obviously - although I also truly love Pro-Wrestling and Gumshoe. I don't have a single boxed example although I do have a Vs Unisystem with Vs. Hogan's Alley in it that's sort of similar right?
>>
>>3876356
Why are they black boxes?
>>
File: Pinball.png (6KB, 172x448px) Image search: [Google]
Pinball.png
6KB, 172x448px
I love Pinball, I can play it for hours.
>>
If those are all the black box titles, then my favorites are Balloon Fight, Kung Fu, and Pinball.
>>
>>3876356

10 Yard Fight is such an underrated game. I remember a lot of evening spent on that game as a small kid.
>>
>>3876392
Most are shitty games so the packaging needs to offer some consolation...
>>
>>3876467
That sounds like a /v/ response

I want a real answer
>>
>>3876470
Truth hurts, eh kid?

*tips sapporo and onegaishimasu's away from you*
>>
>>3876356
Sorting alphabetically, and not by genre which is color coded. .... cmon broseph
>>
>>3876470
Based on this list, I'm guessing this was their box design for the first year of the NES, then everyone just did whatever they wanted to do

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

>>3876478
>Alphabetically
Somewhere between Donkey Kong 3 and Gumshoe, the organization seems srewed up
>>
File: 198.png (225KB, 455x400px) Image search: [Google]
198.png
225KB, 455x400px
>>3876356
If retro games are supposed to be played in scanlines and "filters" caused by outputs, then why these boxes shows sharp clean pixels?

Checkmate.
>>
>>3876356
Popeye is probably my favorite that's not SMB. Excitebike is great too.
>>
>>3876498
America designed those boxes and does not represent what the developers originally intended

Or something stupid like that, I'm at the point where I don't even care anymore, everyone has personal preference
>>
>>3876498
If you look closely, these covers aren't actual sprites taken from the games, but artistic representations of them (you'll see they have extra details that aren't on the actual games, like some lines on Mario's body depicting speed).

The back of the covers have actual CRT screenshots though.
Also, "scanlines" aren't always visible, in fact they shouldn't be visible from afar. Kids who never saw a CRT irl have a huge misconception of these due to emulator filters.
>>
>>3876498
>>3876506

It was a reaction to the ridiculous and wildly misleading art that was on ATARI/Coleco/Etc games before the crash; Nintendo was trying to accurately represent what the games actually looked like. They thought the graphics were a big enough improvement that they stood on their own without glorious 70s style artwork; they were right. In Japan the early Famicom games have much more traditional box-art, but the carts themselves are known as 'Pulseline' carts because they all have a cool line design with the title with no picture.
>>
>>3876515
My question was why do THESE SPECIFIC games have black boxes, although thanks for the history lesson. Probably mixed with >>3876483 , they used your reasoning during the launch, and once NES became a success, shit like Mega Man boxart started happening
>>
File: 5684463871_6e26b4869a_b.jpg (430KB, 1024x732px) Image search: [Google]
5684463871_6e26b4869a_b.jpg
430KB, 1024x732px
>>3876515
Pic(s)
>>
>>3876515
>Implying Night Driver doesn't look exactly like this if you take enough acid
>>
File: pulse_line_carts3.png (173KB, 435x287px) Image search: [Google]
pulse_line_carts3.png
173KB, 435x287px
>>3876515
>>3876523
related
>>3876518
Yeah, it's just the 'launch' series like that; also Nintendo published all the launch game so they could get that cohesion. Some of the games were 3rd party developed for the US launch unlike Japan though, we clearly had a way bigger lineup than the Fami in 83.
>>3876526
kek, I do fucking love Night Driver though.
>>
File: Colecovision1[1].jpg (66KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
Colecovision1[1].jpg
66KB, 450x338px
>>3876526
>tfw sparing no expense for full immersion
>>
>>3876528
10-Yard Fight was the only one that was a third party game on the Famicom. Kung-Fu was also based on an IREM game, but it was a licensed in-house conversion by Nintendo developed by none other than Miyamoto himself.
>>
>>3876356
captain comic
>>
>>3876541
I was fairly certain Kung Fu was literally just Spartan X with a different title screen and not developed by Nintendo.
>>
>>3876504
This. Also the Donkey Kong series. Yes even the third one.
>>
>>3876470
Observant. It was
>>
Is Urban Champion any good?
>>
>>3876867
It's decisively "meh"
>>
>>3876867
It's shit. It's essentially a one-screen game without any difficulty or speed progression whatsoever. Look up gameplay footage
>>
>>3876867
One of the worst Nintendo game ever made.
>>
>>3876867
It's the first game ever where you fight people on the streets. So there's that.
>>
>>3877072
Ah, so the original Street Fighter it is.
>>
>>3876867
I picked it up in the late 90s, after we already had an N64.

I don't think it's a very good game, but I still got kinda hooked on it for a while and was eventually able to plow through it until the computer opponent becomes impossibly difficult.
>>
>>3876867
Depends on the setting you play it in. Single player isn't really worth it, but it's a great time if you're with a group of friends sharing some beers since it's an incredibly simple game.
>>
>>3876605
I like you, anon; DK III is hugely underrated.
>>
>>3876509
Mario background confirmed blue not purple
>>
>>3876356
I feel like this post is borderline bait/trolling attempt...

But I never kept my NES boxes, and I sure as hell ain't paying some faggot on ebay for them. The only one I think I have is my box from Zelda 2, which I got from my mom as a random present in the mid '90s.
>>
>>3876605
>even the third one.
I missed this meme. Do people think the third one is bad?

I mean, it is clearly different from the previous two, which I suppose IS grounds for blindly hating it, but still.
>>
>>3877934
Yeah it's generally disliked or memed at as far as I can tell. I mean it's a fun vertical shooter, but I think it's so unlike the other 2 that people write it off.
>>
>>3876393
What makes it better than any other pinball game?
>>
>>3879958
It's less buzzy and in your face, if that makes any sense. It's like a quiet, simple pinball game with good physics that's very fun to play.
>>
>>3879958
Basically what >>3880035 said although I never said I like it better than any other pinball game.
it's very simple but it works and is still fun to play.
>>
>>3876356
The NES version of Kung Fu/Spartan X is one of my GOAT favorite games.
>>
>>3876356
SMB should be disqualified from these threads, its just too obvious an answer.
>>
>>3883314
Agreed, I opted to qualify that with mine. I enjoyed this discussion though, sad to see this thread fizzle out.
>>
>>3883314
Yeah I think everybody has already acknowledged this since there is no SMB discussion in this thread. Really, besides that game everything else in the NES black box series is arcade-style stuff.
>>
>>3876356
Clu Clu Land and Balloon Fight are probably my favorites barring Super Mario Bros.
>>
How does everyone feel about Ice Climber? I wrote it off as being shit once upon a time but lately I've really been enjoying it. I think the biggest problem people have with the game is the jump physics but once you familiarise yourself with them enough the game can be quite an enjoyable but challenging ride.
>>
File: YOU ARE MACH RIDER !.jpg (494KB, 784x700px) Image search: [Google]
YOU ARE MACH RIDER !.jpg
494KB, 784x700px
Where are my mach rider fans? I always though a reboot that really expands on the post apocalyptic setting the original gives, would be so great. The black box games are obviously quite simple but I love to boot them up occasionally.

>>3883573
I find the jumping too clunky honestly. It's not as bad as people claim it is but I do think its nothing special.
>>
>>3883573
It's not a bad game, but the jumping mechanics are a little painful.
>>
>>3883573
I played Ice Climber a lot as a kid, it's probably one of the first games I remember ragequitting to.
But I kept coming back to it, I find the gameplay addictive, and love the music and strange art direction of the game. I played the japanese version by the way, with seals instead of these weird white things, etc.
The jumping and slippery physics are part of the game, once you get the hang of it it's good, Ice Climber is a game that requires patience and doesn't let you fuck up a lot, a miscalculated jump could be your death.
>>
File: Topi.png (4KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
Topi.png
4KB, 126x126px
>>3884592
I believe they're called 'Topi'.
>>
>>3883690
I wanted to get into it but for some reason it just won't. It's a shame because the setting seems very interesting.

>>3883573
Really like the game. Not gonna call it a classic or a must-have but it's got some great tunes and I like the level design. Jumping can be annoying and take some longer to get used to as you mentioned before.

>>3876356
I only owned Gumshoe , next to Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros. but who didn't, and even though it's not mentioned so much nowadays I actually enjoyed it a lot. The levels had variation in design, the music was catchy and seeing Gumshoe getting hit cracked me up. Is it the best Zapper game or the best black box? I don't know but it sure was good for its time and still can be interesting for newcomers on this board.
>>
>>3876356
>all those games
>the only good one is Pinball
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.