[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/, I keep trying to get into JRPGs beyond Pokemon and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (9KB, 200x198px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 200x198px
Hey /vr/, I keep trying to get into JRPGs beyond Pokemon and just bought pic related. Will I like it? I own FF1+2, FFX, and FFXII but haven't beaten any of them yet, the one I've gotten the furthest into is X but even then only about 2 hours in. How can I get this genre to hold my attention?
>>
>>3873530
>How can I get this genre to hold my attention?
Pokemon has a very kiddie atmosphere, but gameplay wise it's head and shoulders above most JRPGs which are mostly very simple with limited options. Gameplay wise most of them are very boring, the story and characters are the focus so if that's not enough then the game will just be a boring slog.

I would ask yourself why you are trying to get into them. What about the games makes you want to play them?
>>
>>3873530
X picks up about where you left off, I imagine.

I'd recommend you continue to play through X, as 7 can be a bit dated and frustrating for someone new to the genre. If you do play 7 despite that advice, I'd recommend paying attention in the tutorial segment in the Slum area, specifically the advice that tells you to press the 'Select' button to prompt some on-screen guides with navigating the pre-rendered backgrounds, and being able to spot entrances, exits, and some objects to interact with. It also helps with locating the player.

But, as for continuing you X playthrough, I'd imagine you're well on your way to Besaid Island, and from there the game will really pick up. Once you get to Luca it's a really fun game, but until then it's mostly tutorial.
>>
>>3873530
I think the Earthbound/Mother games would be a good stepping stone between Pokemon to Final Fantasy.

Maybe Mario RPG.
>>
>>3873530
FF7 will be as hard to get into initially because Midgar is linear just like FFX but unlike X the game will open a lot once you get out of Midgar.

Problem is wether you will get even to that point in FF7 since Midgar is at least some 10 hours.

Maybe try Valkyrie Profile? Its a very good RPG were battles are more aboult building combos and the dungeons are basically platform segments.
>>
>>3873548
I played Earthbound and despised it. Not well made at all.
I've played every Mario RPG, including Paper Mario and always enjoyed them.
>>
>>3873581
I didn't like Earthbound either but loved Mother 3.
But oops, that's not retro!
>>
>>3873581
Yeah, it's got that shitty dragon quest style combat. You might like Suikoden 1 and 2 if you like pokemon. 108 party members and lots of unique combat combinations. Good stories, too.
>>
>>3873530
Start playing 7, most other games will feel like shit after that.
>>
>>3873618
I've heard nothing but praise for Suikoden but I've had a hard time finding copies
>>
>>3873530
I cant speak on 12, ive never played it.

FF1 depends on which version you have.
PS1 version retains the NES difficulty, the action canceling if an enemy dies before your turn, high cost on items and spells, and the MP cost system as well as a level 60 cap. The PSP and GBA versions change all of that to make it easier and added extra dungeons.

FF2 you can build your characters however youd like, a lot of freedom to make your party whatever youd like, and a cool keyword system.

FFX is alright, one of the harder games to get all the ultimate weapons... that fucking Chocobo minigame... otherwise the Combat has options to hotswap your characters for another, the leveling system will eventually allow you to "multiclass" if you care to level up that much. Id pick up the Steam HD version.

FF7 has its own customization due to the Materia system, pay attention to the stats when equiping them, and also your weapons and armor. Some weapons double or even triple your materias exp gain. Lots of missable Materia, and potential missing key items such as Huge Materia which you can later us to create a Master Materia. Its a good solid game, id probably play the Steam or PS Store versions it polishes the graphics a bit you should enjoy it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.