[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it hard for so many great developers to revive their careers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: original.jpg (361KB, 1294x728px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
361KB, 1294x728px
Why is it hard for so many great developers to revive their careers?

Over the past few years we've seen a return of some amazing talent whose games we grew up with thanks to crowdsourcing.

Sadly, the promise of their return has been more satisfying than the actual game they've returned with.

Why is it so hard for these devs to come back when so many great indie games are being made on shoe string budgets?

Look at the wasted talent:

Tim Schafer - a rock star in adventure games who has pissed away all his good will.

Al Lowe - wasted his time remaking a game rather than producing anything new.

Frederick Raynal - the Twinsen's Odyssey/Alone in the Dark guy. Getting mediocre reviews on Metacritic for a game that has been completely overshadowed by its DRM.

Peter Molyneux - lol

Keiji Inafune - Has no idea what he was doing.

Doug TenNapel - his claymation art style was wasted on a truly dull game.

What the fuck is going on? I don't want these people to fail. Why can't the veterans get it together?

Has an old school designer actually delivered?
>>
>>3872687
Because that was 20 years ago when they actually had to work. They're lazy old farts now that just want to make money off fans and hire a bunch of chinese interns to pump out their shitty kickstarter iphone game.
>>
>>3872687
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDCcdjgMNs
>>
because in the first place they were just the name in the magazine, they never did the real work
>>
File: origin.gif (7KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
origin.gif
7KB, 320x200px
Richard Garriot

Chris Roberts
>>
Thimbleweed Park looks cool

But now that you've posted this horrifying trend I realize it's probably going to be bad
>>
>>3872687
all of those except TenNapel and Raynal are hacks or shit how never delivered
>>
I recommend reading Eurogamer's History of Lionhead.

It shows a good couple of things:

-how game development has drastically and rapidly changed over the past 20 years, due to how big of a business games have become and how much more expensive the technology is becoming

-how the explosion of the video game industry has forced everyone to either become a AAA studio as some huge publisher's bitch, or become a minuscule indie studio hoping to make a cult hit through KS/early access

-how "big names" like Schafer and of course Molyneux were never the be-all-end-all of these games, they were just one of many talented minds whose combined passion resulted in great games, and the transition of everything into these massive AAA studios has reduced each of those talented minds into just another one of hundreds and hundreds of drones spending 12 hours a day modeling ten square meters of map or coding exactly one scripted event

Also, there's the obvious fact that all great artists have a peak, and especially in a field like video games where technology improves so fucking fast even great artists are going to have difficulty keeping up with design trends into their older age. I'm sure plenty on this board can relate to that, I know I can. So all I can really blame these guys for is not assembling the right teams to complement their own knowledge, teams who understand the current technology and designs better, who you can merely impart your wisdom upon and serve as a guiding hand for, instead of treating the games like their own ego projects that's all about the big name on the Kickstarter instead of making a great game.
>>
>>3873116
>Schafer
>talent
>>
>>3873202
>muh gamergate
>>
File: CDkt1pFW0AAdPBA.png (198KB, 500x530px) Image search: [Google]
CDkt1pFW0AAdPBA.png
198KB, 500x530px
>>3873213
>talent
>>
>>3873202
>>3873217
So are you planning on demonstrating why Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, and Full Throttle are not good games or are you just going to ignore everything I wrote in my post?
>>
>>3873232
They are not even "games". Point 'n click isn't "games".
>>
File: credits of Star Wars Racer.jpg (146KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
credits of Star Wars Racer.jpg
146KB, 1920x1080px
>>3873232
Secret of Monkey Island is good but not because of Tim Schafer, Grim Fandango is good Psychonauts is massivly overated and so is anything else he worked on that isn't a point and click games.

I'm sure everyone remembers Shafers masterpiece Brutal Legend. Why not give this little quote of Bobby Kotick?
> "I've never met him in my life – I've never had anything to do with him. I never had any involvement in the Vivendi project that they were doing, Brütal Legend, other than I was in one meeting where the guys looked at it and said, 'He's late, he's missed every milestone, he's overspent the budget and it doesn't seem like a good game. We're going to cancel it.'

"And do you know what? That seemed like a sensible thing to do. And it turns out, he was late, he missed every milestone, the game was not a particularly good game..."
>>
Don't put devs on pedestals. Judge games on their own merits.
>>
>>3873248
None of the stuff about Brutal Legend or Kotick has anything to do with what I'm saying. The fact is still that he co-designed Monkey Island and is responsible for a lot of the jokes and writing that made it memorable, he was hugely responsible for GF and Psychonauts writing and whatever your feelings are on Psychonauts it is very highly acclaimed.

My point is that at least at some point he demonstrated talent, and I was trying to give reasons as to why he no longer does, part of which is undeniably per your own quote that he doesn't fit into the modern business of video games and doesn't have a good grasp on modern design principles.

I also said specifically that big "personalities" like what Schafer has become are not what made these games good in the first place, they were just one part of a team, and just taking one member of that team out and treating them like the king of a project leads to situations like you have with Schafer where their strength (writing) shines through and everything they're not as good at (gameplay) suffers.
>>
>>3872687
>Al Lowe - wasted his time remaking a game rather than producing anything new.

I think that was more because the people who were doing the remake (2nd remake actually) only got the rights to remake the first game.

I think Al would have loved to design a proper Larry 8, but what can you do if the only thing offered to you is another remake?

Also I remember reading somewhere that he didn't actually do much, more of a consultant I think.
>>
File: creators.png (18KB, 302x271px) Image search: [Google]
creators.png
18KB, 302x271px
>>3872687
>Why is it hard for so many great developers to revive their careers?
because most of the time the real brains behind those games were other people and the famed "creators" were mostly mediators and ideas guys
>>
>>3873275
psychonauts being highly acclaimed is irrelevant, especially with game devs and journalists being in bed together. The game itself is a mediocre, half baked fetch-quest collectathon platformer with one-note writing, "so randumb" jokes and story and character moments. It's shit.
>>
>>3873232
>Full Throttle

Full Throttle is a mess of good ideas poorly implemented in great presentation and it absolutely baffles me that people look back on it as some sort of classic.

If anything, Broken Age showed me Tim Schafer didn't really change by giving us another Full Throttle when people were hoping for another Grim Fandango.
>>
>>3873376
>psychonauts being highly acclaimed is irrelevant, especially with game devs and journalists being in bed together.

Considering only one game of Tim''s has ever been critically lauded (Grim), either that assertion is ridiculous or Tim is just unbelievably awful in bed.
>>
>>3873442
schafer had been held up as journo's sweetheart for a long time.
>>
>>3873446
All of his games are like mid 80s on metacritic. In gaming, that means "entertaining but with large flaws" which i'd say is about accurate

You cant really claim journo corruption when you don't even get high reviews
>>
>>3873442
does it tire you out being such a contrarian retard?

monkey island and day of the tentacle (and grim fandango) are considered some of the best in the genre.
>>
>>3873453
>All of his games are like mid 80s on metacritic. In gaming, that means "entertaining but with large flaws" which i'd say is about accurate

holy shit go back to neogaf you stupid faggot you've never even played these games
>>
>>3873453
>implying scores mean what they should mean
>>
>>3873243
So you have a painfully limited definition of what constitutes a game? Nothing surprising here.
>>
>>3872687
No idea. I don't see why someone who single handedly developed a game, coming up with the idea, the art, music, and coding it all a few years ago couldn't do the same today. lel
>>
>>3872687
>Why is it hard for so many great developers to revive their careers?

Because it turns out that one developer wasn't the reason the games they worked on were so good but instead the collaborative effort their team put in under their leadership before everyone turned into a bunch of yesmen.
>>
>>3872687

Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avellone, I guess? Can't really think of many others.
>>
>>3873453
get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>3875059
is Tim Schafer the George Lucas of video games?
>>
>>3872687
>Tim Schafer - a cuck star in cuckventure games who has cucked away all his good cuck.
>>
>>3872687
Julian Gollop's new game looks pretty interesting. Phoenix Point. His answer to Firaxis' XCOM.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/16/phoenix-point-music-writer/
>>
>>3872687
Raynal is a genius tech guy but without chanfray as art dir, and all the og aitd and adeline software, i doubt his games would have been that great. His cancelled mmo at ubi looked cool but i think 2dark suffured from a shoe stringed budget and big ben as a publisher.
>>
>>3875219

Well, at least Schafer didn't make 3 shitty prequels
>>
>>3875841
Don't jynx jt
>>
File: tim schafer.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
tim schafer.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
Remember when Tim Schafer and Randy Pitchford were "one of the nerds" and not the people who bullied nerds?
>>
File: 1,44 mb of feels.gif (3MB, 287x191px) Image search: [Google]
1,44 mb of feels.gif
3MB, 287x191px
>tfw some of my favorite games are made by people I absolutely loathe nowadays

Sometimes I wish I had never read a single game journo shit. I would rather live in that childish belief that vidya is made by some video game wizards with magic and love.
>>
Because the industry has changed and they're not used to how developing a game works now.

Also they're old and many great artistic visionaries have their downturn after a certain period.
>>
>>3875219
Nah I'd say he's more like Kevin Smith. Worked on a few good things in the 90s and has been riding the fame on them ever since even though he hasn't made anything good in nearly fifteen years. You even get the same response from fanboys when you criticize their work just replace Clerks and Dogma with Monkey Island and Grim Fandango.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.