[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is the best way to play PS1 games on the PS2? Can the PS2 have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: psjuan.jpg (48KB, 640x469px) Image search: [Google]
psjuan.jpg
48KB, 640x469px
is the best way to play PS1 games on the PS2? Can the PS2 have a modchip installed to read burned PS1 games since there's no decent HDD loading for PS1 games?

I'm aware fat PS2s are not 100% compatible with PS1 games, but the model I have doesn't support like just 10 games I don't think I'll ever play.
>>
the best way to play them on the ps2 is to put a ps1 disk in the tray and begin playing
>>
>>3872118
This, it literally takes 10 seconds to tape down the lid sensor and run a burnt PS1 game
>>
Most mod chips do support playing burned PS1 games but it takes 2 additional solder points that sometimes people don't bother to hook up. You can also use a softmod to perform a swap if you can defeat the door sensor
>>
Slim ps2 flip top. Or just buy a psx for $20 and chip it
>>
Just Get a modchiped ps1 scph 7501
>>
File: fliptopcover.jpg (12KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
fliptopcover.jpg
12KB, 400x302px
>>3872158
Note that a "Flip Top" is a replacement top loading case for fat PS2s.
>>
File: 25264576564564576547567.jpg (40KB, 602x618px) Image search: [Google]
25264576564564576547567.jpg
40KB, 602x618px
>>3872309
>scph 7501
>>
>>3872112
>is the best way to play PS1 games on the PS2?

No, because your laser is going to fault in no time. PS2 optical assemblies just do not like to read standard compact discs before they start doling out DREs.

Used PS1s should be dirt cheap at the moment.
>>
>>3872402
used PS1s seem to be just as prone to failed disc reads.
>>
>>3872158
>Slim ps2 flip top

I also recommend this, but not because of the disc-swap method. A flip top mod is just a good way to avoid issues with the Slim's lid sensor randomly fucking up. The flip top mod keeps the sensor pressed down at all times, which means no interrupts from a faulty sensor constantly bitching about the disc tray being open when it's not.
>>
>>3872112
Only the disc laser can put the console into native PS1 mode.

In other words, whatever your method may be, if it's not using the disc laser then it is emulation, which is shoddy.
>>
>>3872403
>used PS1s seem to be just as prone to failed disc reads

Most definitely not. I have yet to have a PS1 show up any DREs, and I'm constantly popping swap discs in and out of my unit. Only the first batch of gray PSX units that were produced had an issue with DREs, and that was because the material used in the assembly literally melted. The issue was fixed in the very next revision.

PS2s are notorious for this issue though. Just Google it.
>>
>>3872112
the ps3 plays and displays ps1 games better than ps2, there's some detailed info around the internet if you're curious for details. I'd honestly stick to it for ps1, and save the ps2 for it's own games, only, also to avoid it's laser from being forced between ps1/2 (though it reads both, it seems to struggle every now and then). I think it had something to do with the way the reading process was alternated; i don't really remember, though, it's stuff i used to read back in early 2000's.
>>
>>3872331
>These were followed by the SCPH-700x and SCPH-750x series, released in May 1998

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_models
>>
Anyone else annoyed about constantly having to adjust their games screen position? I've spent hours getting perfect geometry out of my CRT, then when I boot up my ps1/2 games they're almost always eschewed in one direction and I have to pray that the game has a screen correction option.
>>
>>3872661
Yes, and it's only PS1 games like Castlevania Chronicles and shmups like R-Types and G-Darius that I have to adjust.
>>
>>3872321
Theres a slim ps2 flip top and its a lot easier to install
>>
>>3872673
For me it's even ps2 games like onimusha. Might be the fact that I'm using component cables.
>>
>>3872464
You should be using a hdd for ps2 games
>>
>>3872464
>the ps3 plays and displays ps1 games better than ps2
only on hdtv, 480i is gross. PS2 via Component if you're a sdtv user

inb4 rgb scart and pvm, fuck off richfags
>>
>>3872834
>inb4 rgb scart and pvm, fuck off richfags
There is nothing "rich" about rgb cables and monitors.
>>
>>3872331
The banding is what the developers of those early games intended. Early games should be played on an early console with banding and later games on a later model.
>>
>>3872112
No.
The best way to play PS1 games is on a fat PS3.
>>
>>3872112
Nah the best way is to play them on a smartphone with touch controls :^)
>>
I'm sad I missed the PS2 homebrew.
Even modding the PS2 to emulate games is much better.
>>
>>3872907
yes I'm reasonably poor ang got a BVM20F1E. You just have to be patient
>>
>>3875098

not sure if bait
>>
>>3875114
on hdtv, no 240p kiddo.
>>
>>3875114
* with a wired controller

The input lag makes a lot of games terrible.
>>
on vita
>>
>>3872112
Memeshitposting aside, What models of the PS3 can run PS1 and PS2 games, particulary cause i only want one system to use on an HDMI setup, how much is the latency.
>>
>>3872112
>be me
>year is 2003
>binge play spyro for saturday and sunday
>its a school night and I am playing on a ps2
>realize i can't save the game on a ps2 memory card or on a ps2 in general
>my face when
>>
>>3877194
All ps3's support playing ps1 games, however they all EMULATE them, even the original fat cecha01 that has full hardware support for ps2 games without emulation.

All the later revision ps3s that cut ps2 hardware support in favor of software emulation will still play ps1 games, but again it will be emulation.

Anyone who says a ps3 will play ps1 games naturally without emulation doesn't know their shit and needs to recheck their shit.
>>
>>3877194
fat models with 4 usb ports. only chrome fascia models play via hardware. 2 usb ports and it's ps1 and ps3 only. You can swap the hdd with any 2.5 sata drive and a usb flash drive or sd card reader.
beware any old ps3 will need new thermal paste and a good internal cleaning to not be a jet engine.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.