[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>When finished, this mod will completely remove Cait Sith

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 16

File: latest[1].png (161KB, 353x417px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
161KB, 353x417px
>When finished, this mod will completely remove Cait Sith from the game in favour of a new human character called Iscar Matthias. Iscar is from Judus Iscariot, and Matthias was the apostle chosen to replace him. I have chosen these names to be symbolic of the character's betrayal, and change into a valued ally. Iscar will change and grow as a character. At first he will be a simple Shin-Ra spy, dedicated to his job, but over time, he will come to understand that he is working for the wrong people and change sides.

>Cait Sith is a poorly written character that was probably shoe horned into the story late in development. The character has no logical or believable reason to join your party, or be allowed to join it. The idea that Reeve, a top executive for Shin-Ra, could or would remote control a toy robot cat mounted on top of a stuffed white toy as a tool for espionage, is ridiculous.

>Iscar will change the character model, script, FMV and battle related information. Cait will be utterly annihilated. Where possible I will stick to the original script. The basic plot will remain intact, except that it will be more plausible. I have actually had fanboys trying to rationalise the writing regarding Cait Sith. These people generally display an unbelievably poor understanding of fiction and writing (the usual excuse being "It's just fiction" *roll eyes*).

>Cait's going no matter WHAT you say.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140928113219/http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0
>>
>>3871303
I remember this autism.

Fanfiction at its finest.

A world of magic, clones, selective memory, talking cats with flaming tails, rocket ships and steam punk tech and a remote controlled robot is the thing he obsesses over.
>>
>>3871309
>steam punk

Not steam punk in the slightest. It's not Victorian, or steam powered.

It's clearly analogous to nuclear power and follows an anime cyberpunk look ala Akira.
>>
>>3871309
FF6 was steampunk and 7 was cyberpunk.
>>
>>3871324
>>3871336

It's Makopunk.
>>
Awful. Retconning fanfiction characters into copyrighted games is like something Chris-chan would do.

Looking over that site, it seems like it's very much a melting pot of autism.
>>
>>3871303
There's something called joke characters in the video game world.

Characters that doesn't matter too much in the story, but look funny/talk about funny stuff.
Another example in the FF franchise is Quina.

While it's true that such a thing is not "deep" or "complex", FF never was about seriousness all the time, if someone can't grasp such a simple concept then this person is beyond salvation.
>>
File: 1489976447810.jpg (113KB, 606x584px) Image search: [Google]
1489976447810.jpg
113KB, 606x584px
>>3871303

>mfw i saw that Iscar Matthias was never finished
>>
>>3871446
but the clear joke character of FF7 is Yuffie. I can't recall a single funny moment with cait
>>
Why not just replace Cait Sith with Reeve instead of making a new donutsteel?

Did he ever post any art or models of Iscar? I need to see this.
>>
Changing the game to have his fnafiction character is retarded, but you gotta admit his criticisms about cait sith are fair. Though I guess him awkwardly pushing his way into the party might be intentional since he's a spy.
>>
>>3871341
>Makopunk
This.
>>
What d iscar look like
>>
>>3871303
Why not just replace him with, you know... Reeve? Who pretends to defect only to actually defect in the end. All you'd have to do is get rid of the suicide sacrifice instead of having to work around all this edge.

I don't mind Cait, but I did wish we got to see more of Reeve and see whether or not Cait has another personality entirely or is just Reeve playing out the equivalent of a weeaboo :3 fantasy while he's just a shut-in.
>>
File: 8b2.jpg (26KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
8b2.jpg
26KB, 540x540px
>mfw people who mod in Advent Children clothing and replace the overworld models with the battle models
>>
>>3872058

The whole fucking community is cancer, mods are just a rabbit hole best left avoided.
>>
>>3871336

Not near enough computer shit to be CYBER punk. At must you could call it some kind of weird miltiary punk or industrial punk. But CYBER punk sort of demands a certain amount of CYBER
>>
File: 1329527122823.jpg (63KB, 447x400px) Image search: [Google]
1329527122823.jpg
63KB, 447x400px
>Cait will be utterly annihilated.
This line gets me every time.
>>
is there any visual for what Iscar would have looked like.
>>
File: 1.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>3872187
I scroll through the forums every couple of months and there's a couple tasteful mods that are worth taking a look at IMO. The menu overhaul mod, music mods, a couple portrait mods, the reasonable difficulty mod and depending on your tastes, the PRP/Chibi Reconstruction mods to "fix" the 3D models. I think there's a couple complete magic texture mods, too.

Qhimm's only problem is that the vast majority of people on there are attention whores that release unfinished """demos""" for projects that will never be completed/get dragged out for too long/suffer hard drive failures/scrapped and remade just so people would suck their dick for them to finish it. So you're left with a melting pot of mods that are incomplete and don't mesh together well at all.

The PRP mod went on for years before being abandoned and finished up by some guy years later who pumped out all the unfinished models in a couple of weeks.
>>
>>3872457

>Dat Shinra Executive model.
>>
>>3872457

That screenshot reminded that Cloud is in fact, walking around 24/7 with a giant sword strapped to his back.
>>
>>3872340
It's dieselpunk you faggots.
>>
>>3871324
it's deiselpunk retards
>>
>>3872520
I was sitting in a weird position when I read your comment and looking back at the picture I think I nearly cracked a rib
>>
>>3871446
Quina is OK because it doesn't impose on the story in any meaningful way. You can accept it as an abstract and it doesn't destroy the integrity of the story. Not so with Cait Sith, who exists to make sure Shinra keeps up with you all the way to the crater.

That's fine—it's completely believable that the group could have an interloper. But it shouldn't be the character that defies all logical conventions and norms set by the story. A character like that should be one of the optional ones. Yet instead they made Vincent optional, who has direct story impact. I'm not sure what they were thinking.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 274x184px
PC MASTER RACE WINS AGAIN
>>
File: chris headache.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
chris headache.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>YFW you found his name is pronounced Ket Shee or some shit.

THAT'S NOT HOW LANGUAGE WORKS, SCOTLAND!
>>
>>3872680
>it's deiselpunk retards

It's not 50's retro-futurism.

It's "anime cyberpunk". Blade Runner and a few other films filtered through an anime aestetic. Look up anything from 85-92. It was a fad at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZGrAGx8Uc
>>
The funniest part is the justification for Beacause is that the original writers are god and that whatever they had written is more important than the translators who may have fucked up in parts. A fine opinion to have until you start literally fucking removing characters because you don't like them.
>>
>>3872874
I just reported that video for copyright infringement, thanks.
>>
File: 1489274072494.jpg (21KB, 387x309px) Image search: [Google]
1489274072494.jpg
21KB, 387x309px
>>3872958
>>
>>3871341
Makopunk could also be cyberpunk. Cybernetics doesn't care what you use to power it, it only cares that you have the disciplines of control and communications relating to computers and networks and information.

That being said, electricity exists in FF7 and is used to power much of their world including computers and networks. mako is like hydroelectric or wind turbines. Still ends up converted to electric at the end of the day. Shinra's full company name is Shinra Electric Power Company.

We mostly see cybernetics as electric modern hardware because that's how a lot of it is studied and what our reality works on. There's no electricpunk and if there were FF7 and us would fall into that categorization.
FF7 is actually cyberpunk. Because the slums below do have electricity and technology including computers. Outside of Midgar though most of the tech dries up to effectively nonexistent except for shinra bases and golden palace and it ends up playing more like a military sci-fantasy genre outside of it.

The thing that makes steampunk what it is, is not that shit is powered by steam but that all forms of mechanics operate on steam. The computational ability of most of the genre and networking are often largely non-existent, despite electricity existing in the world. (though electricity should exist in basically any world unless it makes something up to explain existence. Electricity isn't just a power, it's a primary element in our very existence that isn't casually shrugged off).
>>
>>3872818
I think that's the point of Cait Sith. If you had to guess "Shinra spy", would you really think it's the cat riding on top of a giant moogle? The only problem with Cait Sith is the problem with Reeve controlling him remotely.
>>
>>3873293
Mako's more like steam than cybernetics.
>>
>>3872949
I think it's more autism than anything else.

>The installer allows British English or American English. I personally don't like how the British English has been messed about with over the years but that's just me :P There is 1 exception, however- some words ending "ise" are infact fully acceptable as -ize. This change is not an Americanisation and it is technically more correct when dealing with words of Greek origin. Words ending -yse like Paralyse are exempt from the rule. Unfortunately, since many words in english retain "ise", even in America, it seems like bad practice dividing words up and this would only lead to perceived inconsistencies. Thus, -ise will be preferred for all words.

It almost reads like a Stallman post at times.
>>
>>3873297
You didn't actually read the post did you?
>>
>>3873314
I think it's funny you wrote a long serious reply to a half baked joke so I thought I'd see if I could get another.

Also you're missing the role of Ether in steampunk literature, but whatever.
>>
File: FFVIII_Biggs_Wedge.jpg (89KB, 567x480px) Image search: [Google]
FFVIII_Biggs_Wedge.jpg
89KB, 567x480px
>>3871446
Biggs and Wedge is another example
>>
File: 1255305688226.png (84KB, 890x1583px) Image search: [Google]
1255305688226.png
84KB, 890x1583px
>>3871303
Oh, I remember this. Yeah, Cait is ridiculous, but that's kind the point: Final Fantasy isn't suppose to be a super serious angst fest all the time, you need the occasional levity. We might as well get rid of Red XIII, Cosmo Canyon and Wutai too; they clearly have no place in this grimdark story.

Could Cait have been better? Certainly; I personally would like it to be to clear how much of his actions are the the cat itself talking and how much is Reeve speaking to you. Plus, Cait still has a few good moments, the end of Temple of the Ancients being the best example.

Replacing Cait with a literal donut-steel who's name may as well be "Judas the Backstabber" is not how to fix things. Especially form a guy who purports his translation is more faithful. I find that hard to believe when you're next step is to start deleting canon characters.

People like this who demand "muh FF7 must be serious and grimdark!" are why we got crap like Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus.
>>
>>3873295
True, but why would an eco-terrorist group on the run tolerate such a spectacle anyway?

>>3873352
In fairness, 50% of the scenes in this image are from "mini-game land." There are some pretty dire parts of FF7.
>>
>>3873317
>Also you're missing the role of Ether in steampunk literature, but whatever.
No.
>>
>>3873575
Not denying FF7 had dire moments, but it was able to have lighter ones too, and mix them. Remember the sequence in Junon right after Meteor get's summoned? It starts with Tifa about to get executed in a gas chamber and ends with her, well, have a bitch slap fight with Scarlett atop the Mako Cannon.

Like I said, my problem is people think FF7 is all serious all the time and that expunging any light-heartness is "fixing" the game.
>>
>>3873596
Well you did leave it out....
>>
Am I the only man who actually likes Cait?
>>
>>3873352
>Advent Children

All I remember about that movie is cellphones and crying.
>>
>>3873575
The point is that FF7 is constant dourness. The light hearted moments help balance out the experience.
>>
>>3873690
Basically.
When I was a kid and played through FF7 for the first time I really wanted to like Cait Sith.
But soon after recruiting him I put him on the bench for the rest of the game.
>>
>>3873991
Meant to say "isn't constant dourness".
>>
>>3873293
>Makopunk could also be cyberpunk.

No it's at best ELECTRO punk.
>>
File: Yuffie.Kisaragi.full.199468.jpg (37KB, 576x789px) Image search: [Google]
Yuffie.Kisaragi.full.199468.jpg
37KB, 576x789px
>>3873295

Im glad you said that because it let's me bring up something important. You know how Yuffie and Vincent where cut for time and made optional?

The spy subplot works so much better if you get Yuffie and do the Wutai quest ASAP. She was meant to be a red herring. She flat out says something to the effect of "I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ONE" When the Shinra guys jump you after she steals your shit.

Then you do her quest hear her story and when Cloud says he trusts everyone it's less fucking retarded
>>
>>3873986
I just remember the first like, 4 lines of dialogue is different people saying "hmph".
>>
File: 1487374275904.png (396KB, 596x697px) Image search: [Google]
1487374275904.png
396KB, 596x697px
>>3872670
>>3872680
>dieselpunk
>a valid subgenre or aesthetic
It's just what morons try to use to describe settings fashioned after periods between the Victorian Era and the 50s.

And no, FF7 doesn't even fit that shitstain of a weak "aesthetic".
>>
>>3874186
Yeah, not everything has to fit into some kind of -punk genre.

FF7 takes design influences from a lot of different things.

>>3873994
Same.

Anyone know how good Cait Sith actually is in battles? Ive barely ever used him. He's kind of tanky right?
>>
>>3871324
Sakaguchi said he was inspired by Jules Verne when he made the world - but Jules Verne meets sci-fi and fantasy
>>
>>3872457

I hadn't heard of Chibi Reconstruction, that's actually a really good idea. The perspective is completely off when you put battle models elsewhere - end up with doors that go up to people's stomachs and shit like that. It always baffled me it didn't bother people.
>>
>>3874032

>The spy subplot works so much better if you get Yuffie and do the Wutai quest ASAP

But what about Trine on the 4th Enemy Skill materia?
>>
>>3874324
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's finished or not unfortunately. It's such a simple, doable thing that would make a world of a difference.

The perspective problem isn't as bad as you'd think. Some parts of the game make it look like the original idea was to have more proportional models but other parts make it pretty obvious that it wasn't.
>>
>>3874343

It's possible that some of the earlier backgrounds were made with more realistic proportions in mind back when the team wasn't 100% sure how they'd handle the overworld models, then swapped to being built with the SD models in mind when the team settled on the SD overworld models.
>>
>>3874408

Plus it was new hardware, they probably settled on SD after having concerns that effects like the seamless FMV transitions would cause too much slowdown with higher poly models. Hell it already lags with the SD ones. They made it work in FF8 of course but that was years later.
>>
>>3874343

The real tragedy is Square didn't keep any backups of the background renders and no fan has the 2000 person sweatshop needed to whip up corrected/higher resolution ones.
>>
>>3874408
>It's possible that some of the earlier backgrounds were made with more realistic proportions in mind back when the team wasn't 100% sure how they'd handle the overworld models, then swapped to being built with the SD models in mind when the team settled on the SD overworld models.
So you mean that's exactly what was going on? That's pretty funny.
>>
>>3873348
Biggs had a side story. You could find out more about it in the Shinra town with the big cannon on the port. I forget. It's where cloud dresses like a sailor. NPC talks about Biggs kid or wife, or some family shit.
>>
>people actually trusted this guy to do a good re-translation
>>
File: FF8_Norg.png (257KB, 671x858px) Image search: [Google]
FF8_Norg.png
257KB, 671x858px
>>3871309
That's not even the most ridiculous thing a Final Fantasy game has done either.
>>
>>3873986
Yeah that's pretty much it, along with some DBZ battles thrown in for good measure.
>>
So how would the part where Cait-Sith sacrifices one of his robot bodies to remove the black materia from the ancient temple or whatever worked with Iscar Matthias?
>>
>>3875343
He probably would've omitted that part altogether and removed the plot point about the temple being the materia itself
>>
>>3875315
That Seymour's dad?
>>
File: 16641854340_b29aeaffb7_b.jpg (344KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
16641854340_b29aeaffb7_b.jpg
344KB, 1024x576px
>>3874432
The couple of backgrounds that Team Avalanche completed are seriously impressive and actually stick to the FF7 art style. Most mods have zero style consistency. Of course, I doubt any more will be completed.
>>
>>3875924
that looks lifeless compared to the original
>>
File: 0082-Aeris-House.png (56KB, 350x253px) Image search: [Google]
0082-Aeris-House.png
56KB, 350x253px
>>3875931
k
>>
>>3875953
>>3875924

Missing the waterfall and rays of light. Weird aspect ratio too. Sorta lifeless looking. Weird proprtions for Cloud too. Why is he so tiny?
>>
>>3875924
Worse colors, worse textures, inexplicable removal of details.
>>
>>3875931
too bad it requires an original console and CRT and 240p to look good.
>>
>>3872850
Gaelic is weird.

IOMBHÁ, pronounced like "Armoire"
>>
>>3873295
I think Cait was more or less an autonomous AI programmed by Reeve. There's no way he's sitting in his cubical 24/7 manually making the thing walk, fight, and talk.

I don't remember Dirge of Cerberus too well but I could swear there's a part where Cait (the cat) is talking and doing his own thing while Reeve is also standing right there.
>>
Cait Sith is entirely logical. It's a piece of technology created by Shinra to gather intelligence. It was planted in the Gold Saucer presumably because of the sheer number of people passing through that region. The device had to be designed to fit in with the Gold Saucer's flamboyant aesthetics, hence a cat riding a moogle.

As for Reeve's connection to all of this: Dirge of Cerberus elaborated that Reeve has some sort of mental / telepathic link with Cait Sith, and dictates its actions accordingly. Although Reeve was originally using the device to gather intelligence, he came to sympathize with the party's goals, and continued to direct Cait Sith to assist the party clandestinely as not to compromise his career with Shinra. (Not everyone who works for Shinra is hellbent on some global conquest, or is even a bad guy.)
>>
>>3872850
Scot here, we've been telling the gaelic speakers that for a long time.
>>
>>3873295
Well Cloud is the protagonist, Barret is a terrorist, Aerith is who they're after, Tifa is also a terrorist, Yuffie is a thief who has never been near Midgar (and optional), Red was subjected to research, who else is it gonna be?
>>
>>3874195
>Anyone know how good Cait Sith actually is in battles? Ive barely ever used him. He's kind of tanky right?
He's like MVP for speed runners.

Honestly, he is pretty good especially if you can get Slots timing down for most of the main game so if you don't intend to do all the sidequests, he's a decent tanky caster. It's when everyone starts having 9999 x 8 limit breaks where he starts to fall off.
>>
>>3879809

This t.bh. His HP is nice for taking some extra hits and he can cast just as well as the others. He's a bit goofy, but his reaction when Aeris dies is nice.

He, like most characters, falters at endgame, where a 2x/4x Cut Yuffie with Conformer, Barret with maxed-out Missing Score, Cid with Venus Gospel, or Cloud with Ultima Weapon can easily outdamage almost everything else (except for KoTR, and you only need that for Ruby and Emerald Weapon).
>>
>>3875962
there's still light rays, they're just shittier light rays.
>>
>>3879845
Vincent's reaction is still the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDCqObctdLU

Who's your goofy optional character now?
>>
>>3871303
>No, we aren't leaving in any beloved localization quirks, fuck you, we're going 1:1 with the Japanese version
>Except we're replacing a main fucking character with a shitty fan character because we don't like him
And this is why fan modders are the fucking worst. They act like their vision for the game is the objective best one, and that anyone who disagrees is a blind fanboy, yet they are always the ones with the stupidest ideas on how to "fix" games.
>>
>>3882747
>No, we aren't leaving in any beloved localization quirks, fuck you, we're going 1:1 with the Japanese version
>1:1 with the Japanese version

Except he did the exact opposite of this. The guy doesn't speak a word of Japanese. I'm quite certain he ran the script through Google Translate.

This community is everything that's wrong with fan translation.
>>
>>3882815
Even better
>I will restore the script to its glorious Nippon roots, so that Sakaguchi-san himself will smile upon me!
>I don't speak Japanese, I just assume that Japanese is better, and the wiki has all the Japanese names for things anyway, so close enough
>>
>>3882065

>He forgot about Yuffie, the lighthearted ninja girl, bursting into tears on Cloud's chest.
>>
>>3882820

Even better:
>I'll render the entire script in a bizarre conflation of both American and British spelling, because autism
>>
I usually end up having oddball characters in my party just because I'm a hipster that way. Everyone and their brother can beat FF7 with the highest-tier characters, but are you really getting the most out of the game that way? A little self-imposed challenge to force you to think outside the box might be more entertaining.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.