[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So yeah this game is pretty good, but it's always been my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: LttP_map.jpg (1MB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
LttP_map.jpg
1MB, 1000x662px
So yeah this game is pretty good, but it's always been my personal least favorite of the series and a big part of that is because I think the map design is objectively awful.

Link to the Past is what started the N64 Zelda trend of having a big empty space in the center with all the interesting shit crammed off into the sides, except on the SNES it feels even smaller and the center is taken up by a giant castle/pyramid that you only need to go to twice in the game. In the original Legend of Zelda on NES it takes a long time before you feel like you've seen all of the map, but in Link to the Past you can circle almost the entire light world save the mountain within 15 minutes of playing.

I just had to get this off my chest since I feel like the only one who is bothered by this sometimes
>>
File: zeldaww2.jpg (172KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
zeldaww2.jpg
172KB, 1600x900px
>>3869065
In my experience most people like either the first or second Zelda game they complete the best and then find all the others derivative. This happens no matter what order you play them in.
>>
>>3869102
>>3869095
I'm not even talking about the game overall, which I enjoy. I just want to analyze the overworld map design here, which I think can be done objectively. I don't want people to project their defensiveness over the games as a whole and make this a big shitstorm
>>
>>3869113
Have fun then.
>>
>>3869065
>>3869113
>>3869115

You're over exaggerating your complaints so hard. You can't base an objective conversation on opinion and hyperbole.

>I just had to get this off my chest since I feel like the only one who is bothered by this sometimes

Grow up
>>
>>3869154
Well, he does have a point.

>Link to the Past is what started Zelda trends

or rather increased the usage of some trends that were just barely in the first game. More than in the original, there was a large emphasis on collecting pieces of heart pieces. Same can be said about other collectibles like bottles or sidequests to attain better equipment. Besides, since LttP it became the norm to have "two worlds" in a console title. The plot got emphasised bigger and bigger and it became more of a linear experience where you should only use a newly obtained item to beat the boss of the dungeon.

It's strange to see that so many people on this board attack Ocarina of Time for trends that already got enforced with this game. Why is it that this game gets a free pass and any later Zelda doesn't? Don't give me that "it was original back then" nonsense because as mentioned before, most new elements are enforced results from the first Zelda. Now don't get me wrong, I like both games none of them my favorite for what they do well on their own but it's just baffling to see how you guys turn a blind eye to it while knocking on its 3D counterpart for the same bullshit. What's up with that circlejerk?
>>
>>3869065
OP is right, though. Link's Awakening has a much larger overworld map. LttP does feel small.
>>
>>3869154
Yeah OP is a bit of a tard.
>>
>>3869065
>objectively
Nice b8
>>
>>3869186
A little bit larger I guess, but I wouldn't say much larger.
>>
>>3869394
I feels larger because of the way it's laid out. You can't just freely circle around the whole thing
>>
>>3870052
Yeah, that's true. Everything feels like a distinct area, and the routes from place to place can be a bit labyrinthine. Going from say, the main town to the animal village actually feels like a "journey." It's really just an absolutely lovely setting.

Also, if my numbers are right, the Link's Awakening overworld is actually 25% larger than LttP.
>>
>>3869065
>you only need to go to twice in the game

-very beginning of game
-after you get master sword
-Gannon fight

Hyrule Castle/Pyramid is probably the most important location in the game.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.