[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /vr/ hate the Raspberry Pi? It seems like it runs most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

File: 913XYU1VtjL._SX355_.jpg (20KB, 355x228px) Image search: [Google]
913XYU1VtjL._SX355_.jpg
20KB, 355x228px
Why does /vr/ hate the Raspberry Pi?

It seems like it runs most of the games I use just fine if you have a 3 Model.
>>
Just riding the bandwagon.
>>
There are some people with a rather irrational hate or aversion to the Pi here, but it shouldn't be surprising considering there are threads dedicated to CRTs and other outdated or otherwise inconvenient hardware.

I've got a Pi 3, it runs all of the games I want to play and I haven't really noticed any real input lag or issues with it aside from slowdown in some of the more taxing games I've tried. It's gotten me to play more than I would have if I'd gone through all the trouble and cost of finding original hardware, cartridges or discs, converters for current generation televisions or finding/purchasing an older television, then making space for it in all in my house.

I'm not going to deny input lag exists. But if it's not super noticeable then I'm not sure I even really care about it at all, considering the alternative.
>>
>>3868305
I've noticed slowdowns during the first Legend of Zelda game where goblins can cause massive lag.
>>
v3 seems p. good to me

>>3868305
We had a pretty big thread about connecting them to crts
>>
Is there an easy way to install a power button onto a pi?
I've been thinking of installing one into a very tiny PC case.
And I've yet to see a pi case that says "game console" instead of "just hiding a pi."
>>
>>3868310
Try a different core then. Some are better than others, and in the case of Nintendo systems, the are a shit ton of options.
>>
>>3868310
Isn't that normal?
>>
>>3868313
I saw that. It still feels like wasted effort to me, but then again I feel the same about the CRT threads and things here in general. It's just not for me, and I'm aware some of the shit I do will seem like wasted effort to others. To each their own.
>>
>>3868316
I think you have to attached a power button to the pin board, right?
>>
>>3868316
it depends on your distro and if it lets you run python scripts. If you can, it's a snap. I think either recallbox or RetroPi have it in the settings to set up a power button without coding.
>>
>>3868272
If you have a computer, a dedicated Pi seems kinda silly.
>>
>>3868327
Might not always be feasible to run an HDMI cable from your computer to your TV. You could always try something like a Steam Link and stream emulators to it that way, but at that point you're getting into a similar issue.
>>
>>3868327
I dunno, I was able to clean up my front room by taking out my old consoles and replacing them with a RPi computer, which is hidden behind the TV mounted to the wall with standoffs and drywall anchors.
>>
>>3868327
It depends on your setup. Wanting a simple, dedicated emulation device for the living room isn't silly.
>>
>>3868305
>There are some people with a rather irrational hate or aversion to the Pi here, but it shouldn't be surprising considering there are threads dedicated to CRTs and other outdated or otherwise inconvenient hardware.

People are just tired of Raspberry products being shilled on /g/ and /vr/. I own a Pi board, but I'm not going to deny that it gets way too many threads for something that's supposedly so "hated." It's worse on /g/ where they lazily copy and post the same PR text thread after fucking thread.

A Pi is fine as an emulation box, but there are some inconveniences you'll have to deal with, like constantly having to unplug the entire unit instead of the unit having a power switch. They also lack real-time clocks. While I'm sure either of those features could be done through modding, it's probably more hassle than it's worth.
>>
>>3868351
> like constantly having to unplug the entire unit instead of the unit having a power switch

Just add one. This doesn't seem like the most complicated thing in regards to construction.

> not keeping your Pi on

It doesn't take that much power.
>>
>>3868360
>keeping your Pi running nonstop and shaving several years off its lifespan

No thanks. I don't even do that shit with my desktop.
>>
Why do you /v/ rejects keep trying to start emulators vs hardware wars? No one cares. Just play fun retro games and stay in your containment threads if you enjoy talking about emulators/crts/original hardware/etc.
>>
>>3868361
It's actually more unhealthy for the PC to constantly be shut down. It takes a large power boost to start it back up again thus lowering the lifespan of your computers. This is why Desktops have a sleep mode usually.
>>
File: QpM-rAUs.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
QpM-rAUs.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
>>3868371
>>
>>3868371
>It's actually more unhealthy for the PC to constantly be shut down.

This is highly debatable. I don't see random electronic devices like TVs or stereos inexplicably failing because people don't leave them running 24/7.

And I don't see how leaving a Pi running could benefit it in any way. The first thing I imagine would happen is that the unit's power supply eventually overheats. And what happens if there's a power outage in your area? Better hope your Pi wasn't actively writing any data to the SD card.
>>
>>3868385
The most practical skill of the 21st century.
>>3868371
Were do people get this shit?
>>
>>3868385
>>3868393
This is what /g/ told me and I expect them to know more about technology than the video game boards here.

>>3868387
Why would the Pi be writing to the SD card while sitting at the main menu of the RetroPie OS? You don't use surge protectors, Anon? Why would the Pi overheat?
>>
>>3868416
/g/ is just as retarded as any other board on 4chan.
>>
>>3868371
>Do you leave your computer on?
>Do you leave your lights on?
>Do you leave your oven on?
>Do you leave your car on?
>Do you leave your shoes on?
>>
>>3868431
Lights, shoes, cars, and ovens are completely different things, you retard.
>>
>>3868437
No shit sherlock. Are you going to answer the questions or not?
>>
>>3868443
> Implying I'm the same guy
> Implying your questions weren't stupid and deserve answers
>>
>>3868450
Idgaf if you're the same guy. The oven and car questions are obviously dumb, but I'm legit curious if there's some kind of correlation between the people who leave their computer on and if they're the same ones who leave their lights and shoes on.
>>
>>3868371
>it takes large power boosts to start it back up thus lowering its lifespan

What the fuck are you even trying to convey here? Don't speak so blantantly out of you ass and get informed. The only deterement I can remotely think of is maybe a computers HDD may wear out a little quicker if it was turned on and off a lot but that would not be way after the product forfilled it's "lifetime". Besides that's not applicable to a raspberry Pi. In short kys
>>
>>3868316
you can just get a short extension cable with an inline on/off button, i think that's what most people do
>>
>>3868459
We leave our computers on at work.
>>
Someone asked /g/eeves.
>>>/g/59473880
>>
>>3868272
Because it's meme shit and fuckers shitpost about it incessantly. The ignorance of the fanbois turns even a well intentioned thread into a shitfest.
>>
>>3868272

Because people treat it as the go to solution for emulation, when there is better options, that are cheaper and easier. Also, using a Pi for emulation, or worse, arcade manufacturing, demands knowledge the people making the threads usually don't have in the first place.

That said, it is not a bad solution, is just that there is few reasons you should go after it in the long run.
>>
>>3869009
>when there is better options, that are cheaper and easier.

like?
>>
>>3868272
I never liked these because I've had unacceptable stuttering issues that my Shield TV never experiences but I have given these away as gifts packed with full romsets for the consoles and handhelds RetroArch ran with satisfying results. Sure, RPi is cheaper but I don't like how people treat it like the best thing since sliced bread.
>>
>>3869040
>closed as duplicate
Welcome to /vr/ How's your first day going?
>>
>>3869375
>RPi is cheaper but I don't like how people treat it like the best thing since sliced bread.
Can you prove that it isn't?
>>
>>3868305
The input lag is noticeable in twitchy games like fightan and shmups. It's fine for just about everything else and emulates everything up to ps1 (but not saturn and n64) perfectly.

Real hardware ultimately is better, and if you are serious I'd suggest starting with a pi and slowly phasing it out in favor of system+flashcart or modded system + burned games if you are starting at square one in the year of our lord 2017. I mostly like my pi for the portability.
>>
>>3870057
yeah, with benchmarks for everything 5th gen.
>>
File: picase.jpg (36KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
picase.jpg
36KB, 570x380px
>>3868316
If you can tolerate the look of 3D printing there's a lot of cases made to resemble retro consoles and computers.
>>
File: draalin-Raspberry-Pi-Projects-9.jpg (115KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
draalin-Raspberry-Pi-Projects-9.jpg
115KB, 800x533px
>>3870070
At least when you do phase out your pi there's other uses for it.

I'd recommend anyone start with one if running emulators off their pc/mobile device wasn't cutting it.
>>
>>3870268
Aw lookit that cutie
>>
>>3868310
That's normal, just like the original NES. I think some cores provide an overclock option (basically letting the nes system render additional scanlines beyond what is shown, allowing for additional processing time) that could get around it.
>>
>>3868361
My Pi2 has been a sitting online as a NAS 24/7. The thing doesn't give a fuck.
>>
>>3870070
I have a SF4 SE Arcade stick (replaced with Sanwa parts myself) hooked to my Pi and I haven't noticed a difference between it and my PC playing Super Turbo. I'm sure on a CRT you would, but the input lag is tolerable - more of a CRT vs whatever discussion.
>>
I play every night on my pi3 with recalbox and a usb snes controller, OP.

On a crt no less.
Fuck the haters.
>>
POWER BUTTON PEOPLE:
use a fucking power strip, they have an on/off switch right there.
Also, be sure you shut down using the OS, as just cold yanking it will corrupt the FAT filesystem. Recalbox makes that super easy, can't rec Recalbox enough.
>>
My games aren't fullscreen, they have their standard aspect ratio in Retropie. How do I get them to run full screen in 16:9 without having to manually code stuff?
>>
>>3870956
There's a menu that pops up when you select a game. Gray box that says something like "press a to configure", which will go away when the game launches if you don't press a. Press a to access this menu, and there should be some display options to pick from. If you are outputting through HDMI note that you won't get any sound unless you are using a widescreen resolution (720p). Not sure why, doesn't matter if you are using a crt.
>>
>>3870812
This is why I backup my SDCard on my PC after I make enough changes/add roms. If my card ever corrupts I just write everything back on it, I guess I'm lucky however because I've pulled the power cord out a lot when it was on and haven't had an issue.
>>
Has anyone used a XU4 with Lakka? I don't use my Raspberry Pi much because it's an underpowered mini heater.
>>
File: mediapi.jpg (131KB, 500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mediapi.jpg
131KB, 500x1000px
>>3870268
I'm looking into something more like this. The one thing I don't like about the pi as a "game system" is the port layout.

This one is almost perfect. If the power switch and 2 usbs were on the front it would be perfect.
>>
>>3868272
i dont hate it, i would love to make a miniconsole.

unfortunately, i need something like the Lattepanda or the Udoo x86, and those are expensive as fuck!

Why? because for example, i want to emulate systems like the DC, the Naomi or the Atomiswave too, and, in ARM machines (the RasPi or the Odroid XU4) theres no Naomi/Atomiswave emu AT ALL!

Also the DC emulation sucks ass in comparison to other emus, many games doesnt work (the WinCE ones mainly), or others look horrible or are slow as fuck (like bomberman online)

This is what we are missing:

>Naomi
-Melty blood AC (actress again i think doesnt exist, this is a decent alternative.)
-Guilty gear X

>Atomiswave
-Rumble fish
-KOF Neowave
-KOF 11
-Samurai Shodown 5 (the only way to play it in an ARM device is thru the Samsho anthology in PPSSPP, and IT SUCKS ASS!, mainly due to the frame rate and extremely fugly texture downsampling ,and unless anyone is able to create a proper texture replacement pack for it, it will still sucking)
-Guilty gear XX Accent core (theres the PSP version, but still the reduced screen size limits a lot of shit.)

I reiterate, i DONT hate the machine, but right now, theres still a lack of software for many systems or the existing software is not very good, and i doubt that problem will ever be fixed.

I mean even on a Nvidia shield 2 the U64 games in MAME (KI, KI2, CruisinUSA) are still slow as fuck, and nobody is doing nothing? what the hell man?
>>
>>3871420
*-samurai shodown 6

sorry.
>>
>>3871362
That is rad as fuck. If i ever make a new one as a gift for someone, I'll definitely use that case. Does it come with everything in that pic (aside from the pi itself?)
>>
File: 81Qon19E7dL._SL1500_.jpg (398KB, 1500x1417px) Image search: [Google]
81Qon19E7dL._SL1500_.jpg
398KB, 1500x1417px
>>3871539
The questions and answers sections says so.
https://www.amazon.com/Limited-Raspberry-XBMC-MEDIAPI-integrated/dp/B00JNXERM2

I just noticed it has an updated version. It's kind of expensive, but it does come with an IR remote and everything.
https://www.amazon.com/Limited-Raspberry-MEDIAPI-integrated-Remote/dp/B00SEGYY7C
>>
Is it possible to get component output from a Pi?

>>3871559
>$80
>doesn't include the pi
For what purpose?
>>
I have a raspberry pi 3 with retropie installed, I mostly play snes and gba games, is it ok if I dont have a heatsink for the pi?
>>
File: $_12.jpg (26KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
26KB, 500x414px
>>3871362
The usb ports could easily be added to the front if you're up to cutting the spaces on the case. I love that case otherwise.

I'm about to start work on a case mod for one of these usb hubs.
>>
>>3871362
I wish pis came with no connectors. Something like the memeberry zero is close. I end up taking nearly all the connectors off most of my builds.
>>
>>3871605
>is it possible to get component output from a pi

See pic in this post
>>3871362

You have to use a 1/8th" jack (like what headphones use) that are specially made to output video and sound.
>>
>>3871651
No, you don't need the heat sink. It wouldnt hurt of course, but i have several pis that I have left on 24/7 for over a year that dont have em and they are running strong, not even remotely hot inside their cases.
>>
>>3871605
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/8524/component-video-hat/13

Soon I guess.
>>
>>3872512
That looks like it's composite with L/R audio RCA, not component.
>>
>>3868272
Input lag, underpowered, no 240p, the list goes on and on.
The biggest problem is the users tend to all be retards and ask really fucking dumb questions over and over.
>>
>>3874843
>no 240p
That recently changed.
>>
>>3868423
Confirmed /b/ autist
>>
It's not that it's hated, it's just overhyped and shilled constantly so people wnt it to fuck off. That being said /vr/ prefers the wii because it just werks.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.