[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought a Sega Saturn. What are some must-have games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10

Just bought a Sega Saturn. What are some must-have games?

Also Saturn thread.
>>
File: recommendations - saturn.jpg (1MB, 2500x3174px) Image search: [Google]
recommendations - saturn.jpg
1MB, 2500x3174px
>>
>>3867676

Virtual-On.
>>
File: SovietStrike_Saturn_US_Box_Front.jpg (1011KB, 929x1576px) Image search: [Google]
SovietStrike_Saturn_US_Box_Front.jpg
1011KB, 929x1576px
Soviet Strike. A better port than the PS version.
>>
YU-NO
>>
>>3867676
>>3867685

This is a good guide.

1. Any Neo Geo games (King of Fighters, Metal Slug, etc.) or Capcom fighting games (Street Fighter, any of the Vs. games), just play on MAME as the emulation is 99.9% accurate and runs much better than the Saturn ports.

2. Any games that are 3-D multi-platform will almost always be better on PS1. There are some exceptions like Silhouette Mirage, but if it has anything 3-D, it will run better on PS1.

Besides those, the Saturn has roughly 30 amazing first party or exclusive games that never were ported or remade for other systems.

Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun have far superior Xbox 360 HD remakes, but Dragon Force, the Panzer Dragoon Series, Fighters Megamix, and many others cannot be found anywhere else. The Saturn bomberman is also considered the greatest of all time.

Also, don't collect for this system. It's terribly overpriced since the games had smaller than normal print runs in the USA. Get the system modded so you can play the great games without spending thousands of dollars to shitty re-sellers. This is a 21 year old system and the better games have a very limited supply that are sold and still working.
>>
>>3867676
Sonic
>>
>>3867731
Also, Sega made many fuckups with Saturn but the worst was putting the copy protection on the outer edge of the game disc. Because of this, many games that are in otherwise fine condition will not work on a normal system because the outer edge of the data side has an imperfection.

Just burn the games and have a blast.
>>
>>3867749
burned games damage the drive.
>>
>>3867676
>acquire console
>have no idea what to play
lol
>>
>>3867756
I have not had any problems with my modchipped saturn
>>
File: sonic-jam-cover.png (509KB, 387x649px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-jam-cover.png
509KB, 387x649px
>>3867735
This.

>>3867770
And this.

>>3867731
>Any Neo Geo games (King of Fighters, Metal Slug, etc.) or Capcom fighting games (Street Fighter, any of the Vs. games), just play on MAME as the emulation is 99.9% accurate and runs much better than the Saturn ports.

Stuff like Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Vampire Savior is pretty much arcade perfect as far as performance and frames go.
I mean yeah, if you want, just emulate, but the japanese Saturn versions of fighting games aren't expensive and still good.
Saturn ports of SNK are much better than Neo Geo CD ports, for the loading time alone, so there's that as well.
>>
>>3867756
It's a 21+ year old piece of hardware with multiple moving parts. The drive is going to break at some point so who cares? Best bet is to do the SD card mod because the disc drive is going to be the first thing to break on these.

>>3867917
There are at least 20 games that are really good to amazing that cannot be played anywhere else.
These are usually the most expensive, hence why OP should just play burns.

>>3867943
Why would OP buy any game for Saturn that can be emulated for free on MAME and play better? OP should just burn copies of the exclusive games on the guide above and be done with it.

Saturn is almost as bad as Neo Geo to collect for due to the absurd markup on games from shit resellers.
>>
Funny Saturn story,

Game Players magazine fucking LOVED the Saturn and shilled like crazy for it. There was some point in late 95 early 96 where they were touting how all a bunch of PS1 exclusives were coming to Saturn and that Sony was going to have a real bad time. Off the top of my head these were Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Battle Arena Toshinden, and a few others. They were all poor ports and it wasn't until the N64 launched in September of 96 that they finally stopped claiming it was going to win.
>>
>>3867676
Should have gotten a Dreamcast instead.
>>
>>3867917
My SEGA Saturn folder has over 115 games.
>>
>>3867676
I'll just hand you my top 10:

1. Lunacy
2. Street Fighter Alpha 3
3. Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire
4. Shinobi Legion
5. Saturn Bomberman Fight!!
6. Die Hard Arcade
7. Dark Savior
8. Galaxy Freulein Yuna
9. Virtua Fighter 2
10. Steam Hearts
>>
>>3868119
Which games?
>>
>>3868119
That's a lot of shovelware.
>>
>>3868262
I bet it is for someone who doesn't play video games and decidedly after that post you don't have a Saturn on your side, so how would you know?
>>
>>3867731
>There are some exceptions like Silhouette Mirage, but if it has anything 3-D, it will run better on PS1.

Soviet Strike is another exception, surprising because it comes from EA of all places. The graphics and framerate are basically identical to the PS1 version (possibly even better actually), except the Saturn version comes with extra content.
>>
Didn't realize these SD card optical drive replacements were so limited in production. G-guess I'll get on the waiting list...
>>
>>3868525
I got mine on the first try
REKT
>>
>>3867685
>deep fear

hahahaaha what
>>
>>3868525
there is always satisfier
>>
>>3867756
I require proofs
>>
>>3867685
>no Quarterback Attack
Shit list, into the trash it goes
>>
>>3867685
>snesorama.us
F
>>
ARE YOU READY FOR THE FUCKING SATISFIER?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E
>>
>>3871340

When?
>>
File: 1.png (76KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
76KB, 320x240px
Powerslave aka Exhumed.

At this point you'll fall in love with Lobotomy and the Slavedriver engine so you're going to want the Saturn ports of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, too. Quake's port is worth it just for the 4 exclusive secret levels they made, alone.
>>
>>3871401
IDK MAN
i'm donating 50 bucks though, fuck collecting for the saturn, I want this shit bad
>>
>>3871469
is it a one time 50 or is it a patreon every month 50 for the beta test
>>
>>3871520
I don't know if I have to continuously fund 50 dollars every month until he's finished in order to receive the beta hardware, or if I just give him 50 bucks once, that qualifies me to get it.
I can afford it anyway so I don't mind giving him 50 bones a month to get a taste of this magical hardware
>>
>>3871531
it's a bit much for me, so I may just wait for the release model. My saturn's still kicking ass so I'm OK with burning media for now.
>>
>>3867731
this is a very helpful post, thanks.

I picked up a super cheap saturn a few months ago but haven't had time to play it after setting up pseudo saturn.

Was a bit confused by the hype as many of the good games are available elsewhere so this helps clear things up. I love radiant silvergun and don't have a 360 so I look forward to burning that.
>>
>>3868735
>I require proofs

CDRs reflect the laser poorer than originals, which means the laser has to work harder to see the discs, which means it dies faster than if you were using originals.
>>
>>3871796
>a kid posting on a gook toon image board is proof
lel
>>
>>3871796
I said proofs
>>
>>3871941
ya got me!
>>
File: nintendont.jpg (317KB, 1234x926px) Image search: [Google]
nintendont.jpg
317KB, 1234x926px
Great a sega thread. Hey /vr/, I found a sega cd, genesis, and saturn all at goodwill together today for $10 a piece. I didn't bother checking the pile of cables they had laying around because the power cables on the genesis and cd looked pretty standard (never owned any sega consoles). Unfortunately I'm learning how big of a bitch it is to find a good ac adapter for the genesis and cd. Anyone know of one that doesn't cost $20? I don't mind using a knock off as long as it doesn't fry the system. I have the genesis and cd model 2 (shown in picture).
>>
I picked up a saturn a while back with a non-working CD drive (doesn't spin). I've already adjusted the tray height but will do so again. Haven't checked the laser yet either.
Any idea where to test to make sure the drive is getting power properly?

>>3872289
Nice find. Have you tried aliexpress or amazon for the adapter? I think I last found one for $12 USD plus shipping.
>>
>>3868074
>Why would OP buy any game for Saturn that can be emulated for free on MAME and play better?

The "play better" is not really true for some of them, as Vampire Savior has the Hunter characters that aren't on arcade VS (and if you play VS2, you're still missing 3 characters).
Also neat shit like Oboro Bishamon.
>>
>>3872289
I've never found anything good and cheap online. But a local shop has really good quality ones for $5 for 1A up to $1o for 3.5A. Might be worth checking your local electronics shops.
>>
>>3874425
I've found ones on amazon that say they are for it, but the volt and amp output is different than the original. I don't know much about electricity but what I found on the internet said it can shorten the life of the console. I don't know by how much or if it really matters though.

>>3874909
I might head over to this retro game shop that opened up around here and see if they have a good one for a decent price
>>
>>3872289
>a goodwill that doesn't look up prices online

amazing
>>
Recently got Radiant Silvergun, and it's pretty cool.
Just got to get Guardian Heroes and my collection is complete.
>>
>>3867725
Why's that? I've only played Nuclear and Soviet on PS1. And how's the N64 port of Nuclear?
>>
>>3867676
>1) D (awesome saturn horror game for the saturn, normaly runs for cheep)
>2)impact racing (shooting/racing game for saturn, i got my copy for $4)
>3) bug and bug too (epic platfroming series for the saturn in 2.5D, will cost around $40 a game but i highly recomend it, these are my favorite games from childhood)
>4) Mr Bones (an incredibly hard and epic platformer with a few music maker levels put in the mix, nostalgic fmv cut scenes, $40 to $80)
>5) Nights into dreams (possibly the most popular saturn game of all time, shouldn't cost too much)
>i also recommend getting a memory card plus so you can play Japanese games as well, if you want i can give you 5 good examples there as well, i am a sega saturn collector, i know its retarded but this system is a large part of my childhood
>>
>>3877190
>saturn horror game for the saturn

You don't say
>>
>>3877204
lolz i just noticed, redundancy is redundant
>>
>>3876383
I'd recommend a just an electronics shop. Adapters that meet the exact spec you're looking for are commonly used for modern stuff and are dirt cheap. Your retrofag shop will no doubt charge you much more for the same things with the word "retro" printed on the box.
>>
>>3877190
>Mr Bones..incredibly hard
It's so cute to see little rishwanikla play with the toys one of her dads stole.
>>
my favorite game is always going to be sega rally
>>
>>3871635
Lucky you, my cd drive has problems reading burned cds, itll work for like an hour then boot me back to the bios. Gonna try adjusting the laser once I find details which way to turn the little screw lel.
>>
Dodonpachi for $60 - should I bite?
>>
>>3880310
no, it's a horrible port.
>>
>>3880324
Why?
>>
>>3867685
deep fear and shining force 3 have a pal version
>>
Shining Force 3
Shining the Holy Ark
Galactic Attack
Die Hard Arcade
Guardian Heros
Hexen
Daytona CCE
Warcraft 2
XMen vs SF
Marvel Super Heros vs SF
SF Alpha 3
Nights into Dreams - Make sure you get a Nights controller as well. Its amazing for all games.
Winter Heat
Dragon Force
Fighters Megamix
Road Rash
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua Fighters 2
Thunder Force 5
>>
File: 1400505203686.png (258KB, 912x720px) Image search: [Google]
1400505203686.png
258KB, 912x720px
>>3867685
>Saturn Bomberman
This is my family's most played game period. We all will get together to play it any time. Thank god I got it before it spiked
>>
I'm guessing you have at least a passing interest in shmups or fighters if you bought a saturn. Spend an hour reading through these articles, then spend this weekend burning the stuff that interests you.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/saturn/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega-saturn-2d-fighters-library
>>
>>3868151
I don't know if I'm familiar with shinobi legion. I have a game called shinobi x that is slower paced like revenge (as opposed to 3) and used mortal kombat style digitized sprites. Same game different region, or different game altogether?
>>
So I've almost got a 10player Bomberman setup ready, the only issue is one of the multitaps.

On the 1P position on it, whenever I have any other controller plugged in anywhere else on the multitap the 1P controller's left dpad button refuses to work. If I unplug the other controllers then it works just fine.

This happened no matter whether its in the first or second controller port on the saturn.

I've given all the contacts a good scrubbin' so thats definitely not the problem. Anyone fixed this before?

The multitap is grey and I have a black PAL Saturn, were these things regioned?
>>
>>3880646
To my knowledge, no saturn peripherals are region locked.
>>
>>3880646
You could probably work out exactly what's wrong by testing many possible combinations. But it's a lot easier to open it up. If it is fixable you're gonna have to open it anyway. Look for a broken jumper. Reseat the CPU if it's socketed. I doubt there's a problem with the logic as it works in one instance. You could run tests on each port individually to better confirm that.

I don't own an african american saturn so can't test if it's a region issue. I doubt it.
>>
>>3867685
>>3867676
GET A MODCHIP
>phantom pictured
>>
>>3880473
and that will be umm about 5000 bucks?
>modchip is needed
>>
>>3880473
Some of those are better on other platforms, though.
>>
>>3880440
theres an ntsc version of deep fear floating around the net too
>>
>>3867676
Get an ActionReplay 4 in 1 and flash it with Pseudo Saturn, then fit a 50/60hz switch.
>>
>>3867676
2 must have items are the 4 n 1 action replay cart and a modchip.
>>
>>3883626
If you're going to mod your console what do you need an AR for?
>>
>>3884614
Probably the extra RAM and save feature (although I do not recommend the AR for saving, it's not reliable in my experience)
>>
>>3883626
You mean the region free bios and the modchip.

AR is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>3880662
VCD cards are.
>>
>>3884617
Yeah, I'd never use an AR for saves. And since RAM carts are a fraction of the price of ARs there's no point unless you want the other features. Certainly not a must have.

>>3884627
Good catch
>>
>>3884735
Not to mention that AR carts are getting higher and higher in price due to Pseudosaturn.
>>
>>3884779
Exactly. I started buying every one I could find for a buck when the proof of concept was done. I've been paying as much as $5 recently. I'll unload them when stupid hipster cucks push the price over $100.
>>
>>3867685
Saturn Policenauts has english patch
>>
>>3885063
$5? Where are you finding these? They're $30-50 here before tax and shipping.
>>
>>3868151
This
>>
>>3885229
Flea markets. I've got a whole box full by now. You're still finding them for as low as $30 on ebay or whatever? Fuck. That only gets me a subcompact. I need them to hit $100 to get the car I really want.
>>
>>3885440
Hundreds on amazon for 29 dollars plus free shipping. Just bought one for PseudoSaturn
>>
>>3886829
Down to $29. Fuck. My box box is barely worth a fiesta with power windows.
>>
>>3886829
>>3887571

Yeah they're $30 minimum now online.
$23 or something if you want to order just the check from Hong Kong.
I bought one but should have just got the mod chip instead which costs about the same.

Anyway...

I got a Saturn from a dude who had it in storage locker in new york for like 20 years. Great deal ($30 + a broken genesis and some games) but I tried Sonic 3D and loading took forever.

Is this normal for this game or is my unit a little fucked up?

Any easy-ish ways to fix it? I am ok with a soldering iron
>>
>>3887621
Are you a retarded millennial who doesn't know what a mod chip is or a retarded millennial who thinks a mod chips is whatever you think it is? Just asking.
>>
>>3887571
Any way you'd sell me one for cheap anon?
>>
File: 1451174322664.png (12KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1451174322664.png
12KB, 640x640px
Is it possible to find Saturn and games in Sweden
>>
>>3888687
sweden cant have good things
>>
>>3888687
Videogames are haram, so no games for Somaliswedistan.
>>
>>3888687
I have a pal one with some games you can buy. Ill put it on tradera for you soon.

I have a chipped ntsc one so i don't need it ....
>>
>>3888136
No. But your mom might be able to work a deal.
>>
no ones posted Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Completed

Accurate Richter Sprites, New Areas, Bloody Tears, Maria actually fucking playable
>>
>>3890290
does it fix the weird ass sprite scaling present on every diagonal set of pixels
>>
>>3867685
WHERE THE FUCK IS SUPER TEMPO
>>
>>3890296
I'd say improve, doesn't look anywhere near as wonky
>>
>>3887571
Dumb flipper.
>>
>>3890575
u mad?
>>
>>3890312
Stored in bank vaults for their price
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.