[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>several butched games >stupid censoring all over the place

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5602.jpg (213KB, 1280x885px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5602.jpg
213KB, 1280x885px
>several butched games
>stupid censoring all over the place (couldn't even use the "Holy" name for a magic spell)
>left several masterpieces in Japan because they thought they would've been too difficult for kids

Was there a bigger cancer in the industry?
>>
>>3867000 (check'd)
>left several masterpieces in Japan because they thought they would've been too difficult for kids
This is a pretty big meme usually erroneously attached to SMB2J but you probably mean like Famicom Wars? What games specifically do you mean?
>>
>>3867000

There really wasn't and they're still reaping the rewards today.
>>
>>3867016
Most rpgs actually
>>
>>3867016

The whole 'gameplay was too different from the first one' is bullshit especially considering how different the 2 we got was from the first one.
>>
>>3867029
Well then under your own argument, Sega was bigger cancer for not porting over so many of the Saturn's RPGs.
>>
Isnt that a nintendo america issue rather than a nintendo issue in general?
>>
>>3867083
now take a closer look to the image
>>
I have to agree, even though there are a number of classic Nintendo games I still enjoy. I just don't have any interest in investing in Nintendo hardware today, because the company's unethical localization practices are still an ongoing issue.

To be fair though, early Nintendo censorship was off and on. There were a number of games - like Simon's Quest and Zelda II - that weren't subjected to retarded NoA policies. I distinctly recall seeing crucifixes and hanged skeletons in those games.

I believe the fourth generation was when Nintendo really started cracking down. Censorship went well beyond toning down violence or removing religious references, there were also a lot of inexplicable palette swaps.
>>
NoA was bad for people back in the day but now that we have easy access to the Japanese originals it's no longer as of of an big issue.

EA's rampage will remain forever.
>>
>>3867030
Their reasoning was the exact opposite though, that SMB2 was basically a level pack for 1. And also that it had bullshit difficulty.
>>
>>3867029
Nintendo only has one RPG I'm aware of, Mother. They didn't Westernize it not because they thought it was "too hard" but because it's expensive to translate entire RPGs and they didn't think it would sell well enough to justify it - which the commercial failure of Earthbound kind of confirms.

>>3867030
It's really more that the gameplay was too similar. I don't think Miyamoto ever liked SMB2J. It probably could have sold acceptably in the US if they called it Super Mario Bros EXTREME or something. It wouldn't have cost much to import.

Contrary to the meme, most (third party) games for the NES that saw revisions for US release were actually made HARDER to avoid the beat-on-a-rental phenomenon that hurt sales (video game rental was illegal in Japan)
>>
>>3867102
Never heard of Fire Emblem?
>>
>>3867102
Nintendo also impeded many Square games from coming overseas. Ted Woolsey confirmed it.
>>
>>3867112
Oh yeah! Really more of a tactical game though. Better than Mother by leaps and bounds. Was it actually because they thought it would be too hard for Western audiences? It definitely has less text and would have been cheaper to localize.
>>
>>3867000
>Was there a bigger cancer
Well there was this one parroting shitposter
>>
>>3867116
That seems... Weird. Why would they do that when they let Enix go hog wild? Also didn't most Square RPGs come over by the Woolsey era? What article are you referencing? Sounds interesting.
>>
>>3867097
>>3867102

Probably has more to do with the fact that I didn't play it until a few years ago but I adore jap smb2 and child me would've gone apeshit over it.
>>
>>3867131
It was mentioned in a old interview speaking about FFV, dunno about other games. Most probably Nintendo acted as a publisher for Square games so they had some control over what games to bring and how, I don't think square hated money back then

Go to the bottom https://www.vgfacts.com/game/finalfantasyv/

I mean, if they could force Midway to remove MK's blood...
>>
>>3867131
We only got roughly half of the games that Square released for the SFC localized for the SNES. Final Fantasy V, the entire Romancing Saga trilogy, Seiken Densetsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon, Live a Live, Front Mission and Treasure Hunter G all remained in Japan. Contrast that with their PS1 catalog, where very few games (such as FM 2nd and Tobal 2) were kept in Japan.
>>
>>3867084
whoops sry mate just read
>>
>>3867154
Well that probably has more to do with the CD media being less costly to physically produce but the explosive success of FF7 could have been it too. It was just a later time. I'm pretty sure Square published their own games in the US at least as much as any company could with Nintendo hanging over their heads. It really did piss me off when FF5 didn't get released and then later when I saw how good it was I continued to be pissed off retroactively.
>>
I blame NoA for Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack/Puzzle League not catching on. They seemed to attach the game to a different license with every release. I bet if it had kept its original characters and had an original name (Tetris Attack makes it sound like it's just a Tetris game) it could've established itself as a popular series in North America.
>>
>>3867980
Listen, if Pokemon Puzzle League and Pokemon Puzzle Challenge back-to-back in 1999/2000 didn't make PdP huge than nothing will.
>>
>>3867016

Holy Diver
Magic Sword
>>
>>3867138
Given that most parents thought they were being rused when the Super Nintendo came out, seeing a $50 game that, to them, was literally the same game as the last one they bought would have been heralded as a massive con in Consumer Reports.

Especially when the "It's hard and the levels are different" argument wouldn't have work, as they would have pointed out that all the other black-box games had "Game B", which was the hard mode setting.
>>
>>3867095
Wasn't a lot of NIntendo's assholishness in the 80s because they were basically facing what Atari went through with pirated games in Japan and wanted to make sure that was impossible to happen in America?
>>
I feel like you can find much larger things to complain about than localization fuckery that barely anybody would know or care about until gaming culture became homogenized two decades later and nerds began looking for every god damn minor thing they could possibly complain about, but hey, what do I know.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.