[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christ. This has to be the largest fully 3D world I've ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: KF3cover2.jpg (70KB, 640x629px) Image search: [Google]
KF3cover2.jpg
70KB, 640x629px
Christ. This has to be the largest fully 3D world I've ever seen in a retro game. (Maybe excluding Elder Scrolls, which I think had infinite randomly generated environments or something. Plus Elder Scrolls wasn't fully 3D; I believe the NPCs consisted of 2D sprites.)

Just when I thought I had made my way through at least 2/3 of this game, the plot introduced several new regions that can only be teleported to once a key item is obtained, and of course those regions are populated with large dungeons.

I'm curious if there are any other retro games that have similarly expansive and completely 3D worlds. It seems that most RPGs in the fifth-generation preferred to use 3D character models on flat, prerendered backgrounds. It's pretty impressive that games like King's Field existed back then.

Something I noticed, however, is that the game world is only ostensibly interlinked with no loading / transition between areas, but the game actually masks load times by having you walk down very long corridors when you're transitioning from one area to the next.
>>
>>3866318
Shadow Tower is obvious, though the entire game is one gigantic hostile dungeon.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of one that isn't segmented up into stages and stuff now that you mention it. Threads of Fate and Brave Fencer Musashi might count, though both have short bits where you fast travel with vehicles and teleporters for some levels that aren't built into the main map.
>>
EQ?
>>
>>3866331
>I'm actually having trouble thinking of one that isn't segmented up into stages

Possibly Soul Reaver, but I've never finished that game, so I can't comment on the sheer size of the game world.

Crusaders of Might and Magic is fully 3D and has some considerable depth to explore, but I don't think it's anywhere near the size of the King's Field games. Although some areas are kind of interlinked, there's a castle that acts as a main hub, and once you complete objectives in some areas, I don't believe you can ever travel back to them.
>>
Elite
>>
Is kings field actually good or is it just too inaccessible?
>>
>>3866901
You mean the whole series? I only played some them and didn't get far in any, but there is something charming about starting with only basic stuff like a club and slowly moving through a world filled with slow or not-so-slow monsters and traps that want to kill you as you find better stuff while exploring (or finding a vendor), learn magic spells and level up. In a world where all friendly NPCs are even more passive than the ones in Dark Souls, not reacting to you hitting them to death (it's possible to kill them). You also don't need to worry about your stuff breaking up, that becomes a feature only in Shadow Tower.
>>
File: Echo Night 2 Controls.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Echo Night 2 Controls.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
It's funny, I played Kings Field II for the first time this week. I was intimidated by the size of the world and took a break to play through Echo Night II (also released by From Software).
I, too, was surprised by the lack of transitions/loading, it's a smooth game. I can't think of anything as huge.
>>
>>3866901
Only problem I have with it is like 15fps framerate
>>
>>3867059
How is the Windows version?
>>
>>3867059
>From will never release a KF 1-3 collection for PS4 with solid frame rate and dual stick support.
The L2/R2 set up honestly isn't bad when you get used to it, I just know people into the series would eat it up and show From there is still interest. Especially after most people learned about it after getting into Dark Souls.
>>
>>3867064
>>3867073
Some fan remake for PC raises the FPS if I remember correctly.

I can't recall if they got shut down or not though.

He also built an entire world/level editor for the games.
>>
>>3867081
Sword of Moonlight (the editor that came bundled with a remake of 1) was an official product by From Software.
http://www.fromsoftware.jp/pc/product/detail_93.html
>>
>>3867089
Yeah that was the name I was looking for, but There was some dude working on something with that. Not sure if he was improving it or whatever.

Maybe it was him making a game with the editor. don't remember.
>>
>>3866901
>Is kings field actually good or is it just too inaccessible?

It's great, if you can tolerate the slow pacing and tank controls. Once you get comfortable strafing around with the L1 and R1 buttons, you'll be zipping through corridors at a more natural pace.

King's Field is like proto-Dark Souls. Much of the same substance and atmosphere is there, but of course the games are less graphically detailed.
>>
>>3867089
From Software are pretty cool people, aren't they?
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>3867098
I can't help but laugh at faceless NPCs, I always imagine them having muffled "mmf mmfm" voices in dialogue.
>>
File: 6z22v6z9dtby[1].png (416KB, 480x478px) Image search: [Google]
6z22v6z9dtby[1].png
416KB, 480x478px
>mfw those chests in Kings Field that have fucking Strong ass skeletons in them
>>
>>3867113
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4LrhEer6aw
>>
>>3867098
First-person view and tank controls already make the series quite different. King's Field games also have them dwarves and elves and end on a much more positive note.

And in pretty much all of them, instead of some nobody you play as a warrior prince. Besides King's Field II, where you play as a friend of a prince from King's Field I.
>>
>>3867113
When will they make a Zelda mod of King's Field?
>>
I just now cleared Orladin's maze / Place of Beginning. Quite frankly, some of the areas in this game make Dark Souls' Blighttown seem like a cakewalk.
>>
Is there any sane way to grind near the end of the game? It seems like every foe gives a measly 100 or so experience points.

I just now realized that the rooms with the infinitely respawning spiderwomen and skeletons would have been a good source of experence, but since I already cleared those dungeons, those enemies don't spawn anymore.
>>
>>3870072
there's no need to grind and the last dungeon is always filled with fuckhuge demons or dragonmen or whatnot, that you can happily just unload on while chugging piss
>>
>>3870145
>there's no need to grind

Yes there is. You have to boost your magic levels if you want to receive the ability to use sword magic. The NPC who teaches it to you requires you to have at least 50 levels in all elements beforehand.

If I could just gain 10 or so levels, I'd probably be okay to proceed.
>>
>>3866901
I played King's Field 1 and 2, and the offering for the PS2. They are absolutely worth your time. They are some of my favorite games of all time.
Mind you, the PS1 outings have dated graphics obviously, but this is the retro board so this shouldn't bother anybody.
Go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
>>
>>3867125
spoopy
>>
>>3870849
>the offering

Are you referring to King's Field IV / The Ancient City? I've never heard of the game referred to as "The Offering."

I actually looked it up on GameFAQs thinking you were referring to a completely different game.
>>
>>3871430
Not him but I think he was using "offering" in the general sense, as in "the game that was released for the ps2" / "the game that From offered for the ps2."
>>
>>3870163
>he didn't play a low level game until he got his first verdite
>he didn't find enough crystals to get his magic levels up high enough anyway
you're supposed to explore, not grind

you don't even need level two sword magic anyway, all you need to do is get the sword to see the good ending
>>
>>3869205
I hope you meant demon's souls

that shit's actually hard
>>
>>3866358
Soul Reaver isn't that big. The map is basically shaped like a spiral star disc.
I would argue Soul Reaver is barely bigger than Hyrule field, but with so many spiral turns that its hard to figure that out.
>>
>>3871853
>he didn't play a low level game until he got his first verdite
This would have been a good plan in retrospect, but I didn't read a walkthrough before diving in. I had visited all the archmages and gone Verdite by level 20. By the time I reached Cason, most of my magic was still underpowered by 10 - 20 levels.

>he didn't find enough crystals to get his magic levels up high enough anyway
I did, but I just threw into storage rather than using them up. Since they're found in limited quantities, I didn't want to remove them from the game permanently. I'm just a completionist that way. But since Ed sells Verdite in seemingly unlimited quantities, I decided to use about a dozen of those instead.

>you don't even need level two sword magic anyway, all you need to do is get the sword to see the good ending
I know you don't, but I'm a completionist. I went ahead and finished the game earlier today.
>>
>>3874012
>Since they're found in limited quantities, I didn't want to remove them from the game permanently. I'm just a completionist that way.
when you're grinding do you obsess over problems you have in your life that seem unsolvable
>>
>>3874024
No.
>>
Where the fuck can I get this on PC
>>
>>3875168
>Where the fuck can I get this on PC

www.swordofmoonlight.com

As I understand, only the first KF game was ported to the PC using this creation tool. There might be a fan-made rendition of King's Field II (III in Japan) though.
>>
>>3874024
>when you're grinding do you obsess over problems you have in your life that seem unsolvable

That only happens when I'm masturbating.
>>
Something strange I just noticed about this game: Ed (the groundskeeper in the battlegrounds just before the barracks) stocks literally every item you've ever sold to any of the game's shopkeepers, but he stocks only the exact quantities of said items that you've sold.

By the end of the game when you've rebuilt the Moonlight Sword and acquired all the Ichrius armor, you could go ahead and sell any of your obsolete equipment and have a shit-ton of extra gold at your disposal. (You may, however, want to keep the various magic swords in your inventory if you haven't yet learned sword magic, since they're required for triggering the event. And you'll need the Aquarian Boots if you wish to cross Lake Noel again.)

On a related note, I believe Ed's default inventory also has restricted quantities. You can buy exactly 20 crystal flasks from him, but I think only one of everything else.
>>
>>3876113
I like that KF and ST include the storage option just to clean up your inventory and let you collect items.

Honestly playing these games just makes me feel warm inside, even though they're so dark.
>>
>>3876124
>I like that KF and ST include the storage option just to clean up your inventory and let you collect items.

I was curious why a storage option was included, since there doesn't seem to be a limited number of item slots in your standard inventory. About the only use I've found for it is being able to hold more than 99 instances of something, like arrows or herbs. Since you can't buy regular arrows later in the game, it's at least mildly useful to be able to stock up on them in advance.

On another note, I just now unlocked sword magic. I had to grind my magic levels manually by standing in puddles of poison and spamming Despoison + Earth Heal for hours on end until those respective elements leveled up to 50.

Someone insisted that sword magic might be missable if you progress too far into the game, but apparently you can still learn it even after clearing everything else, including restoring the Moonlight Sword. And yes, I obtained both sword magic upgrades - one from Cason and the other in the castle courtyard. Also, the guy in Cason gives you a free Groundal blade that's very much missable if you leave Cason immediately upon getting sword magic. You have to stick around and pester him until he coughs it up, then you can leave.
>>
>>3876678
In Shadow Tower being encumbered causes damage over time.
>>
Is there any reason to play the PS1 version of the first game over the PC version?
>>
>>3876678
the groundal full set is kind of neat

the ancient set in kf4 is better tho
>>
>>3878456
>Is there any reason to play the PS1 version of the first game over the PC version?
I've barely touched the Sword of Moonlight remake of KF1. Since Sword of Moonlight is probably an engine upgrade, I imagine that version would be more detailed. Don't take my word for it though.

But if you have issues getting Sword of Moonlight games to run on a modern PC, it may be easier just to emulate the PS1 version.

>>3878482
>the groundal full set is kind of neat
Wasn't that armor set actually so heavy that it decreased your run speed and increased the recovery time of your weapon stamina?

If I'm not mistaken, the Promeus set was far more useful. I think you were literally invincible while you wore it. But that means having to track down all five Promeus pieces scattered throughout the game.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.