[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's become apparent to me over time, that certain video

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

It's become apparent to me over time, that certain video games which have frightening water sections, they really do give children an actual, long-lasting fear or phobia of open water. What caused yours, /vr/?
>>
>>3866065
Ecco the dolphin. Fucked me up big time. I can handle water sections in video games be it modern or old games. Mario / Sonic 2D water levels are fine. Tho anything like Ecco or tomb raider water levels make me panic and turn the game off.
Fucked up thing is I've been scuba diving and I was fine. I love the sea and have no fear in the real world. It's just video games.
>>
>>3866084
I can't handle** fucking auto correct
>>
Although I agree that water offers some terror in retro games all the way back, I was never scared of it though I do have a fear of heights. I was literally just getting the butterflies from Mario 64 like yesterday but those didn't come along until 5th gen when I was like an adult so I can't blame it on games and I didn't get the hydrophobia neither.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myue9Bsyf9M
>>
File: xlarge_tmnt.jpg (101KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
xlarge_tmnt.jpg
101KB, 640x360px
The classic.
>>
>>3866065
Strangely I never developed this fear of water in games, though I know someone who did (though it's not severe for him) and we played a lot of the same games as children.

Vidya water excites me when you can go swim in it, I can see why it might be scary when you're not really supposed to. Even in Jak and Daxter though I would just hop in the water and have a good time, running away from the fish that would chomp you.

I wonder what causes the phobia...
>>
File: 7Vr7F1r.jpg (251KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
7Vr7F1r.jpg
251KB, 768x1024px
>>3866065
Water sections never really bothered me, unless they were in enclosed areas with no immediate source of air in case of emergency. Using BK as an example, I was fine with all the water areas accept in Click Clock Wood. In the winter area, the water is frozen over and there is one opening in the ice and one in the beaver's lodge. That shit makes me anxious as fuck because the two are quite a distance apart.
>>
>>3866065
if banjoo kazooie is what did that to you youre a fucking pussy
>>
>>3866097

I can relate to this, not water fear. The only thing that has consistently caused me to be afraid in videogames is the idea of falling from heights into the abyss in a 3D game (third person or fps). Even when it's happened over and over, I still get that significant visceral fear of falling.
>>
File: fathoms2[1].jpg (17KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
fathoms2[1].jpg
17KB, 512x384px
not vidya, jaws did it to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7Q7UySxRA

also pic related, but that came a bit later
>>
>>3866065
>tfw I became afraid of large bodies of water because of legends of sea monsters like scylla and charybdis or ogopogo

ironically, I overcame this fear the most when I played shadow of the colossus
>>
>>3866101
Why do people obsess over this part? I mean, the entire game was bad.
>>
>>3866227
Because that was the "casual filter" of the game. Most people never got past it or didn't get much further.
>>
File: elephant-seal-bull-waving.jpg (87KB, 896x600px) Image search: [Google]
elephant-seal-bull-waving.jpg
87KB, 896x600px
>>3866194
I heard somewhere that the writer of Jaws ended up issuing some formal apology for all the needless shark deaths that occurred after the movie was made.

After watching the movie people used their newfound fear of sharks as an excuse to indiscriminately slaughter them, which is the cause of the sharp decline in shark populations.

Not retro, but the Lurker Sharks in Jak and Daxter gave me a bit of a fear of sharks. After I moved to the coast it was quickly replaced by a more realistic fear of elephant seals.
>>
File: 1478767075808.jpg (32KB, 620x338px) Image search: [Google]
1478767075808.jpg
32KB, 620x338px
>>3866065
fucking tomb raider gave me eternal fear of water.
>>
File: Banjo-Kazooie-07.png (815KB, 1023x764px) Image search: [Google]
Banjo-Kazooie-07.png
815KB, 1023x764px
The really deep part of Clanker's Cavern gave me a lot of anxiety, where you had to turn the gears. Other people have said Clanker was creepy, but I liked him (his dialogue makes him a nice guy). But suffocating at the bottom was super tense and the animation of Banjo choking to death was pretty dark compared to the rest of the game's tone.

On another note, I was never really afraid of the ocean until I was 14, went out on a sandbar by myself and a 8 ft shark swam by literally a foot away from me. At the time I thought it was cool and wasn't nervous, but later that week there were a couple of shark attacks (one fatal) right in the same area I was, just a few miles away. After that I just kind of lost interest in swiming in the ocean.
>>
File: 57cw4pM.jpg (214KB, 1200x712px) Image search: [Google]
57cw4pM.jpg
214KB, 1200x712px
>>3866148
>>
>>3866508
Dude, this has to be one of the funniest image I have seen, IML
>>
File: tsite_pancarte_xD.jpg (220KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tsite_pancarte_xD.jpg
220KB, 768x1024px
>>3866508
>>3866532

just did this anons, enjoy!
>>
>>3866508
this is awesome
>>
>>3866549
the internet is now a better place
>>
>>3866227
not really.
Everything up to that point was standard NES fare.
You could bullshit your way through it easily.

This was where the game bent you over and went in without lube.
>>
>>3866473
At least the fish down there gives you air bubbles to breathe.
>>
>>3866148
>chromatic aberration
get this non-retro shit out of here.
>>
I'd just like to interject and say that pixelcucks who don't see the beauty in low-poly 5th Gen graphics like your OP pic can eat a bag of dirty dicks.
>>
>>3867268
Oh please that's as old as color photography you kid-diddling muslim.
>>
>>3867290
>kid-diddling muslim
this is so redundant. you can get the fuck out of the thread too.

post comfy retro island screenshots itt now, thanks
>>
File: move-carefully-to-avoid.png (51KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
move-carefully-to-avoid.png
51KB, 320x224px
>>3866084
>>3866065
I love water levels!

Hell I even like Earthworm Jim's water level.
>>
>>3866150
yooooooou can fuck off actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NK2o1MR4_w
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.