[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's this remake compared to the original? Any fun? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: xcomeu.jpg (34KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
xcomeu.jpg
34KB, 300x300px
How's this remake compared to the original? Any fun? It's on sale on steam right now and was thinking of procuring it.
>>
File: 1489634248928.jpg (230KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489634248928.jpg
230KB, 1280x960px
Personally i quite enjoyed it, over 120 hours on steam and probably 3-4 playthroughs

Give it try.
>>
>>3864257
It's extremely fun, but it does streamline a lot compared to the original, which makes for a somewhat simpler game. Still probably the best retro remake in recent memory.

If you want to be more faithful to the original, you could check out the Long War mod, and there's also Xenonauts, an almost one-for-one remake of UFO Defense.
>>
>>3864257
I prefer the original. It handles too much like a boardgame and winning comes down to learning tricks which exploit quirks which the game's simple systems are full of rather than intuitive tactics and management. Once you work out how the game handles throwing more enemies at you it becomes clear that there's a most efficient way to handle each encounter and that anything else is a challenge run.
>>
>>3864829
To be fair, the original game was full of retarded bullshit too, like grenade/HE hot potato, magnetic ally bodies when they're in the line of fire, psi training in general, and firing lines with rookie spotters being one of the best ways to handle everything. It's just a different variety of retarded bullshit.
>>
>>3864845
Everything feels like playing around with connected moving parts in the original. You can throw stuff around and set fuses on explosives to whatever you want, so why shouldn't you be able to hot potato them? XCOM:EU doesn't give you a tenth as much freedom. You move from cover to cover and shoot or use your context-sensitive superpowers.
>>
>>3864851
Fuses didn't work until unofficial patches and the best way to use them was to hot potato a grenade that was just about to blow up from as far back as you could manage.
>>
>>3864829
>>3864851
>It handles too much like a boardgame and winning comes down to learning tricks which exploit quirks which the game's simple systems are full of rather than intuitive tactics and management.
You're full of shit if you think the original wasn't like this. Take off you goggles man.
>>
>>3866137
The original was full of exploits but they didn't feel so artificial. Overwatch and the 'pod' system of revealing aliens in clusters as you explore each level are both garbage and discourage movement in a system where most advantages are gained by moving around. Rather than thinking about positioning and weapons and distribution of firepower your main concern at all times should be how to move around enough to kill aliens, but without revealing more aliens. It becomes more of an obtuse puzzle than a combat simulation.
>>
>>3866443
Yeah, I hate the pod system.
Overall tho, new X-coms are nice games.
>>
I honestly hate the fucking pod system. Nothing grates my gears more than scripted spawns. Whenever I saw that little animation and the game giving the aliens a free turn, I cringed a little.

Although, the game is quite enjoyable, yes. From someone who played Silent Storm (where the enemies hide and ambush you), Enemy Unknown/Within was a breath of fresh air.
>>
>>3864257

Personally, I think it's a good effort BUT the difficulty is downright shit in my opinion (for me at least). Either it's so easy that you can disregard all tactics and storm through, or it is frustratingly hard where one failed mission basically at any point in the campaign equals a restart (if you don't want to save-scum) because your chances of winning are now zero.

Also, I absolutely hate the new movement and cover system. No TU's, so you can just do two 'actions' each turn (move and shoot basically), so you can't walk a few steps, shoot, and walk a bit more, and if you can shoot the enemy, the enemy can ALWAYS fire back at you. It feels like you just throw percentages at each other rather than actually trying to avoid getting shot at.
>>
>>3864858

I've played it since the early days and I have no idea what you are talking about. Grenades always worked, just put the timer, throw them, and they'll explode.
>>
>>3866137

What are you talking about?

Original: Fully destructible environment, action-points which mean that you can do as many actions as you want as long as you have the points, flammable environments, equip your soldier however you want.

New: You can now only perform basically two actions, move and shoot, and only once each (no move-shoot-move, no standing still and using extra time to shoot more). Characters have set equipment based on their random class (can't give an MG to a sniper, to illustrate). Non-destructible environments.
>>
>>3867719

To clarify: I mean the difficulty-levels.
>>
>>3864257
It's far more polished and balanced than the original, and doesn't throw cheap bullshit at you every chance it gets. The original had far too many factors in the wrong places
>>
>>3867742
Newfoundland?
>>
>>3867742
>hay guise
>let me tell you just how young I am and which version I played first
>>
>>3867719
>It feels like you just throw percentages at each other rather than actually trying to avoid getting shot at.
I agree that this seriously hurts the game but there's really no way around it since the game was built around firefights rather than seach & destroy like the original. Pitched battles wouldn't be very tense if optimal play exposed you to virtually 0 risk. You need lasers flying over your head all the time for XCOM combat to work.
>>
I don't mind the simplification of TUs into two actions per turn. Even with the movement preview feature in OpenXCom it's hard to be able to tell exactly what you'll be able to get accomplished in a turn. It makes sense that taking things off your shoulder takes fewer TUs than getting something out of your backpack but it's a lot of shit to remember.
>>
File: xpirate3.jpg (74KB, 620x386px) Image search: [Google]
xpirate3.jpg
74KB, 620x386px
>>3864257
If you want more of the original XCom experience, try XPiratez
>>
>>3867736
The environment in UFO Defense is fully destructible because it's massively simpler in comparison. The environments in Enemy Unknown/Within are also fairly destructible, but because you're limited to only being able to shoot aliens it's less noticeable.
>>
>>3867742

The new one throws FAR more bullshit at you. Pods. Can't hide from getting shot at after shooting and thus you open yourself up to being critted every single time you want to take a shot at an enemy. 4 person squads, which means that one enemy crit means you lose 25% of your force. One squad-wipe makes the game unwinneable. Thin-men.
>>
>>3868092

In the original you got shot at as well, but you had to think tactically. In the new one the tactics are just locate pod -> alpha strike the enemy so there's no one left so they can't fire back.
>>
>>3868591

Yes, and it restricts freedom. 100% destructible environments are completely possible in these kibds of games, just check out Xcom apocalypse or Silent storm.
>>
>>3868602
I never claimed it didn't restrict freedom. The game does do a very poor job of giving the player many options to deal with things, but the environments are mostly destructible where it matters.
>>
>>3868591
You mean the environment is simpler, or the game system is simpler? Because UFO Defense is not simpler.
Compare this to Silent Storm, where you can level all three floors of a house at once with explosives. It was actually my favorite way to deal with fortified defenses (and you knew there weren't civilians inside). Shoot the windows, throw a ton of explosives in there. 100% casualties.
>>
File: xcom nuuk is on fire.jpg (358KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
xcom nuuk is on fire.jpg
358KB, 1440x900px
It's alright, but it almost completely lacks the micromanagement aspect of the original game. I like the class system and the character customization, it helps you to see which guy is which, unlike in the originals where you have to remember units by their custom names.

I liked the original X-COM because of how frustrating and overwhelming the shit gets. You needed to savor your ammo, build more bases and then protect them, keep your eye on supplies etc.

Picture related, full blown nuclear firestorm, just because I fucking can! You can't do that in remake.
>>
>>3868762
This is basically how a I feel about it. The remake is not a bad game by any means (and in fact I'd say it's one of the better modern games to come out in the past few years) but it's much more simpler than the original. The satisfaction of all your plans working in harmony or the absolute despair of slowly being completely wiped out due to poor management isn't really there.

TL;DR decent game, but watered down compared to the original.
>>
>>3868762
>CRT filter
>>
>>3868773
I used it for a while. Made me feel like a commander in some 90s sci-fi movie.
>>
>>3864257
Superior in every aspect quite franklly, it did grate a lot of nostalgiamongs when it came out though.
>>
>>3868762
>You needed to savor your ammo
>build more bases and then protect them
>keep your eye on supplies
I'm sorry but these are just total bull fucking shit. Ammo can be slapped to troops in such an abundance that they won't run out on a mission and reloading is dirt cheap, the only savoring is remembering to put new mags onto them every few missions which is a chore, not meaningful gameplay. You may need new interceptor bases due to space sure, but new skyraider bases, hell fucking no.

Supplies was a blatant non-issue through the game, build laser cannons and roll in cash was THE formula but building a myriad of other things were also profitable to the degree of just churn out stuff and money won't be a problem.
>>
>>3868795
You might like >>3868534
>>
File: phoenixpoint06.jpg (96KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
phoenixpoint06.jpg
96KB, 620x349px
Anybody heard of Phoenix Point yet? It's Julian Gollop's new project. Looks kind of like an answer to XCOM in the X-com style. The premise seems more like those Eastern European After-UFO games if anybody played those. Earth has been fucked by ayys and now a resistance movement has to scrap enough stuff together to gorilla warfare the planet back into humanity's hands. Opponents are fucked up mutating ayys, aesthetic is grimdark post-apocalypse and the general design seems to be mostly in line with the old one with lots of micromanagement where it works and an emphasis on providing freedom of action, but 3d combat sort of like the new one.

>>3868762
Also you didn't name it but I can see you're a fan, openXcom. The useability alone is fantastic, but then the mods make it absolutely incredible. Final Mod Pack is unbalanced as hell but adds so much fun shit that the game gains an additional lifetime worth of content.

>>3868792
WOWOW I'M SO FUCVGAHIHGINNGNGGG MADDDD EVERYEONGIDSAE GET MADDD AT THIS SANANONNN HOLEEEE FUCCQQQKKKK
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.