[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MDK thread, this game is one of a kind. You can talk about MDK2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: MDK.png (149KB, 599x359px) Image search: [Google]
MDK.png
149KB, 599x359px
MDK thread, this game is one of a kind. You can talk about MDK2 also because it's retro on the dreamcast. MDK2 was pretty good honestly despite being different.
>>
MDK was so outrageously bizarre and I loved it, the lack of a MDK3 is a damn shame. One of the creators actually wanted to make the sequel happen a while back, but Interplay was being unsurprisingly uncooperative about the licensing shit.
>>
>>3863667
Way better as an actual platformer than the collectathons that came out soon after.
>>
>>3863678
MDK2 was never a collectathon unless you're talking about a different game. Only time it even came close was with the doctor and even then there was very little of it.
>>
Cool but extremely short game unfortunately
>>
>>3863667
Your character is sprite, a SPRITE in a fully 3D world

I love it
>>
>>3863667
I picked up the ps2 port of MDK2 a couple weeks ago, is it okay to play it without having played the first one?
>>
The OST of this game is really awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOVX16X6oqs
>>
>>3863736
The opening to 2 gives a tl;dr about the story to 1.
>>
>sniping alien pranksters all around

This game was very nice.
>>
>>3863882
Indeed
>>
I miss the grundgy technopunk theme that this game and a lot of older Ps1 and PC games had.

This, System Shock, Loaded, Steel Harbinger, Project Overkill, so on and so on.

There's something that was lost once we came out of the 90s. I barely see anything that is sci-fi and has that same grit. Most shit today is just an offshoot of Halo in terms of aesthetic.
>>
>>3863736
1 is IMO, a much better game, with better style.

MDK 1 was bizzare in a rather unique alien, extra-terrestial way.

MDK2 is bizzare in a common 80-s - 90-s cartoon way (reminiscent of Earthworm Jim).
>>
>>3865229
MDK2 also had nothing to do with the original developers. Interplay didn't feel like waiting for Shiny to get around making the sequel, so they hired Bioware of all people to do the job. No, really, it's also their last non-RPG title to date.
>>
I played my DC demo disc over and over, just for MDK2. I couldn't find it in the wild. When I bought the DC, it was the final bundle with SA1, Sonic Shuffle, and some other thing I can't remember. They'd already announced they were stopping production. I forgot about it for a while until I got my DC back from my mom. I ended up driving straight to a used retailer and picked up a copy in good shape. Glad I did, both for the packaging and the fact that it's notoriously rough to properly make a backup.
>>
>>3863667
I've seen the GOG versions of both games at discount for a few occasions. Are they the best versions to play them nowadays or they miss something integral compared to older ones?
>>
>>3863667
This was the best looking game I had ever seen back in like 1996, granted, I was like 8 and didn't own a pc of my own so I had a small sample size
>>
>>3865243
I heard rumors about one of the MDK re-releases missing the infamous and wonderful ending scene, but I forgot if the GOG version is affected. MDK2 should be solid though.
>>
>>3863667
Loved 1, graphics were mind blowing at the time. 2 sucks tho
>>
I remember playing this on the PS1 during summer in either 1997 or 1998. I probably played through a hundred or so PS1 games from 96 - 2000 (high school sucked and I used video games to cope) and MDK is easily in my top 20 on PS1.

I remember trying the demo and finding it for really cheap at EB games. I loved the game. It had such a cool atmosphere and was just fun as hell to play. It was super edgy at times which made it even more fun during my emo teen years.

Great game that rarely gets mentioned on here.
>>
>>3865246
yeah, MDK looked incredible to me too and it didnt even require a 3dfx card
>>
>>3865237
The true MDK sequel is Giants
>>
>>3865321
>2 sucks tho
How exactly?
As a big fan of it I feel obliged to ask.
>>
>>3863736
It's okay to play first but they're very different and I think MDK1 is more unique.
>>
File: 202606_v1.jpg (42KB, 300x216px) Image search: [Google]
202606_v1.jpg
42KB, 300x216px
I was really confused after I finished the first game. Real goofy. I heard some version of the game have a proper ending, is that true?
>>
>>3867901
That's the definitive version, the other version just doesn't have that "cutscene" at all and dumps you into the menu instead.
>>
>>3865251
GOG's version was missing the video, but it's since been fixed.
>>
I got the PS1 port a while back. Is it any good?
>>
I remember playing them but never really get too far. I remember replaying the first level of each game a lot of times. Definitely cool visuals and aesthetics, but I can't remember if I liked the gameplay.

This was by the creator of Earthworm Jim, right? I guess that'd explain it, I have the same opinion on the EWJ games, amazing visuals and sound, but gameplay and level design is hit and miss.
>>
>>3863689
Yeah, bit it's actually very fun to speedrun, even if you're not an autist.
>>
>>3867901
>I heard some version of the game have a proper ending, is that true?
>>3868626
The MAC version has a different ending.
It's just a slideshow of concept art as the credits roll though.
>>
>>3866196
Armed & Dangerous felt more like it.
>>
>>3863676
Better to have not been made than to be made and be ruined.
>>
>>3868997

Their best game was probably Sacrifice, which I think is not quite retro. Give that a try if you like.
>>
Does anything actually happen if you let the timer hit zero?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.