[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've always ignored Arcade Emulation but I feel like I SHOULDN'T.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: video-arcade-1.jpg (269KB, 1200x430px) Image search: [Google]
video-arcade-1.jpg
269KB, 1200x430px
I've always ignored Arcade Emulation but I feel like I SHOULDN'T. I got a Mame emulator like 10 or 15 years ago. Played my Metal Slug games which I LOVE and adore and that's about it. Of course I feel like I am missing out now. Where do I get started though? What do I read up on? I know there is CPS1, CPS2 and CPS3 but I am not even exactly sure what is what. Is this all compatible with the Mame emulator? What games are there to play? It often felt like every game is a fighting game like Street Fighter and while I love Street Fighter it isn't too much fun if you have no friends. So really what should I play? What's out there?

I remember Sega had a LOT OF GREAT onrail shooters. Those are great. What system would I have to emulate for this? What games can you recommend? I remember playing a game in the Arcade where you are on like a Safari and you ride around in a jeep and then there are Giant Spiders. I also remember a Zombie Shooter that's still in my local Arcade and it isn't House of the Dead. You sit inside an arcade and you wear those 3d glasses and wind is coming from the sides if some zombie monster thing appears. Is this even emulateable? Guess this isn't even retro.

tl;dr: Arcade emulation for retards. Where do i start? What should I know and read up on? What games are good and fun?
>>
File: 15.7khz.05.png (3MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
15.7khz.05.png
3MB, 1600x1200px
>>3860220
http://arcadecontrols.com

You want GroovyMAME set up with an AMD/ATI graphics card with hacked drivers. It will output accurate low-frequency RGB signals to CRT at the original resolutions and framerates. Perfect signals, cycle-accurate CPU software-based emulation. Hook it up.
>>
What you're describing is probably 5D Monster Eye or 4D Dark Escape which have way too many gimmicks to emulate and run on special hardware locked PCs that haven't been cracked anyway, not that they're retro.

Considering arcade games were a constantly advancing technology for the entirety of the /vr/ era they're kind of hard to narrow down. You probably experienced them entirely in the 90s when they were indeed dominated by fighting games. The other most common type of arcade "classic" is the one-screen score challenge game like Pac-Man or asteroids but there's no shortage of straight forward 2D platformers including run n guns like Metal Slug.

Do you want more games like metal slug or do you want to follow into other platforms like the rail shooters you mentioned?
>>
>>3860220
I can emulate CPS1/2 and NEO-GEO fine, but everything else requires me to hunt down specific emulators/images to work. Is there a way to emulate everything easily without googling histories of each game?
>>
File: ArinoFullComplete.webm (3MB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
ArinoFullComplete.webm
3MB, 640x464px
>>3860272
MAME sucker. Told you. Get a complete MAMEset with all games. Run all games. Do it properly to an RGB monitor for bonus points.

Full complete MAME set means full complete games to play.
>>
>>3860272
Download a huge romset all of which are a specific version then run them in that version of mame
>>
>>3860220
The rail shooters you're describing seem to all just be the positional ones, which means you can probably get away with an Aimtrak, they're basically just a Wiimote. If you want to play without an on-screen cursor like a man, it's a bit more involved and requires some different equipment

You wouldn't be able to play either of those games though, they're far too new. For anything else, just search the name, find out what arcade system it was on, then look for an emulator. The obvious ones are the Model 2 emulator, DEMUL for Chihiro and Atomiswave, and MAME for a few titles. If you're autistic, you can spend 50 years setting up a front-end so you can run everything from 1 window.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.