[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the SNES Shadowrun game good? I recently played some of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Shadowrun Female Player-1.png (27KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun Female Player-1.png
27KB, 320x224px
Is the SNES Shadowrun game good? I recently played some of the newer shadowrun games (Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong) and they got me hooked on the series. Can I expect a good RPG in terms of story & character progression?
>>
>>3854104
It's pretty good, but expect it to have a lot of classic adventure game type puzzles.

Some people say that the genesis shadowrun game is better, but my opinion is that they're just different games and both are actually good.
>>
>>3854104
I liked it a lot. It gets stupid hard in some places but you have infinite ammo and can easily grind ghouls for karma.
>>
>>3854104
Story is interesting, character progression is abysmal.

Try it out though, it's worth experiencing, although the Genesis game has vastly superior gameplay with TONS of customization. If you're more into gameplay and RPG features go for that one. I mean hell you can't even shadowrun in the SNES game. Genesis has an interesting story too but the world building is a lot better.
>>
>>3854129
disregard this. its symptomatic of someone who only played 1 version, the genesis.The Snes version is great game.
>>
>>3854129
Genesis game gets very dull and monotonous rather fast. The SNES game always throws something new at you. Only thing the Genesis version does better is the Matrix, while the atmosphere, game design and writing are much more commendable on SNES.
>>
>>3854129
>Genesis game has vastly superior gameplay with TONS of customization.
I really have to disagree there's not a lot there once you get down to it.

You get all these spells but there's pretty much one kind of corp run and I'm not even sure you ever need to do one. So then there's "Guy who shoots stuff" "Guy who hits stuff" and "Guy who casts spells" and the spells you're gonna cast are almost always gonna be healing spells, attack spells, or invisibility. Then one of your guys is also going to be a decker, and you're going to spend like 90% of the game in the matrix cause that's the only meaningful way to make money and karma efficiently, which means you'll play the weird matrix board game rpg which also breaks down into some really basic strategies that make it so you only ever have to do one of 2 or 3 things, over and over, until you get the data loot, go and sell it, and somehow your other party members got stronger from that.

So I have to say I like the ambition of Shadowrun on Genesis, but it really is kind of a waste of potential just by being a mostly single player console game, when it could have been a lot better as a multiplayer PC game with more scenarios.

SNES Shadowrun on the other hand is a solid single player console RPG and I feel like it did whatever it set out to do.
>>
>>3854143
I played both.

>>3854145
I disagree on the writing. I mean both stories are not all that great but the Genesis delves a lot more into the world of megacorporations, racial tensions, the awakening, etc. This is probably on account of it being a lot more text driven. SNES Shadowrun doesn't really develop the world at all, I mean you barely know what Aneki is.

>>3854149
The fact remains that while there most certainly is one way of cheesing the Genesis game, you HAVE all those options. You have tons of spells and programs. Most programs are novelties at best but most spells are useful in any given situation. You have tons of stats, many that are also situational, there are several ways of shadowrunning and the Matrix is its own little gameplay mode. Also you can crash the CPU on a corp run or get to slave nodes to turn off cameras and alarms and stuff, it's not ALL data loot. Is it 100% required? No, but it's there and can save your neck. Weapons and items offer certain advantages and can be customized with silencers, scopes and stuff. And you can customize all characters. Even their prices depend on how you play.

Compare to the SNES game where you can only choose to learn a couple of spells and level up certain stats for your playable character. You can't customize anything else. Spells are basic, equipment is just + for stats and nothing else, the matrix is a minesweeper that either opens adjacent doors or gives you text items, and YOU CAN'T SHADOWRUN. The SNES game is fun still, but the Genesis game is on its own league and it's just daft to pretend like its extremely expanded array of gameplay options is somehow a negative. It lets you DO stuff. You can play the Genesis game any way you want with huge variants and many ways of progressing. You can only play the SNES game one way with only slight variants.
>>
>>3854237
I like how the SNES version has a followable story. Can never get far in to the Genesis version before I can't figure out what to do or where go. Hacking seems like a waste, not skill based or anything, more about luck.
>>
>>3854237
The thing is, even if that's true, none of it is really put to any use. You can do a run on the renraku corp as many times as you want but it's essentially always the same. The entire skeleton framework of a great gaming experience is there, but all it has is one stripped down module to playthrough. That's where it really fails, it just doesn't do anything with the stuff it has, so it sort of doesn't matter that it has it.

Meanwhile, Shadowrun on SNES is just a console RPG set in Shadowrun, and it's quite satisfying and well executed.
>>
>>3854403
Not the anon you're arguing with, but that that the Genesis version HAS it(options), as opposed to not, puts it above the SNES in that regard.
Last I checked, the name of the game(and universe) is SHADOWRUN, and that's something notably missing from the SNES version. The stats may largely be pointless, but they are THERE to play around with, same with spells/deck programs/etc. The window dressing may be just that, but it's THERE to add more, to add a little variety.
No argument that the Genesis version can get you buttfuckin' lost though...spent years trying to find a feathered scale before I found the clue in the Matrix. But that only adds to the universe in that not everything is handed to you...sometimes, you gotta go out and really search for the answers/clues.
>>
>>3854104
>examine matchbook: the game
>>
SNES Shadowrun is a decent idea but poorly executed. The controls are a mess and many things are underused.

I'm playing the Mega CD Shadowrun and it does the adventure game a lot better. There's less random puzzles and more choices and consequences.
>>
>>3854496
that's because it is mostly a VN
>>
>>3854528
What's that supposed to say?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.