[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are characters in fighting games that are the most unique,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Anakaris.gif (30KB, 287x166px) Image search: [Google]
Anakaris.gif
30KB, 287x166px
Why are characters in fighting games that are the most unique, the most shit?
>>
File: 281095-twelvetshqiy2.jpg (23KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
281095-twelvetshqiy2.jpg
23KB, 480x480px
sort of agree
>>
Anakaris is a fucking beast. GTFO noob. Lrn2play
>>
>>3850587
Guess that the devs thought his walking under hadoukens and dash made him overpowered, ironically, he is the most fit to beat gill because of XCOPY
>>
>>3850617
air dash*
>>
Anakaris is missing tools that the rest of the cast has (pushblock, fast air movement) while his unique tools ("trap super" instead of a proper reversal, teleporting by walking off the screen, disjointed jumping attacks) aren't strong or safe enough to compensate

There's still a few players who manage to take names with Anak but it's a thoroughly uphill battle, same with Victor and Jedah

Also, for weird characters that are strong: '02 Angel, Eddie/Zato in most versions of GG
>>
I can't claim to be any sort of expert but the way I see it there's a bunch of fundamental archetypes for fighting games that work very well and are safe concepts with little risk. The sort of guys that capture exactly whatever the game (or metagame) is about and do it efficiently, so you see them in high level play all the time.

When you stray from that and make more unusual characters, sometimes whatever's so important at high level play is lost. Not that it's a bad thing, or anything. Different people will want to do different things.
>>
>>3850621

>Jedah

I always felt Jedah is a character that has every tool you'd need to win matches in Vampire Savior, but none of those tools are powerful enough to win matches on their own so you, the player, would have to compensate and mix-and-match on the fly just to keep up.
>>
>>3850662
I think this is fairly close to the mark, Jedah's biggest flaw that's immediately obvious is that both of his supers are most effective when set up after a knockdown but without a sweep he can only get knockdowns off his slow and telegraphed overhead

Jedah's pinwheel move can lock down opponents briefly but not long enough for reliable super setups (probably for the best though), Raptor and Rikuo have similar supers that rely on a knockdown but are much better at actually setting them up
>>
>>3850584
Anakaris is far from being shit though.
>>3850662
Jedah's problem is that while you have basically every tool you'd ever need most of his tools are often subpar compared to those of other characters, he has projectiles(stationary even) but no real range or speed, he can grapple and has a nifty AtG command grab(that is vastly shit), he can fly, he can zone adequately and has decent damage but falls behind most of the cast, he has defense but not really on par with most of the cast, you can kind of mix up but not really as well as most of the cast, even his normals are a mixed bag.
So in theory you have this really good character that can do almost anything but since he does nothing truly well you have to make up with tons of skill, in a way he's similar to Anakaris, but many of Anakaris' normals are very good if you can zone even at basic levels, can't say the same for Jedah.
Jedah's similar to Donovan for some things, I guess that's why they didn't include Donovan in the original release, they're very similar characters, jack of trades master of none.
>>
>>3850584

>why is the one character who plays differently not as easy to control or use as the ones who all generally play the same way that I've been using for years I really don't understand it so let me shitpost

Tl;Dr get gud scroob
>>
>>3850584
pretty sure Anakaris was top tier in VS.
>>
>>3850584
imo its worse when the most boring character is stupidly op
>>
>>3851216
is this a patented /vr/ baitpost?
he is the worst character in the game.
>>
>>3850621
>Also, for weird characters that are strong: '02 Angel, Eddie/Zato in most versions of GG
The issue with this pick is that it's GG. The only characters that aren't weird are Ky, Sol, Jam, and Chipp.
>>
>>3852585
I'd argue GG still has a spectrum of weird characters, would you say that characters like Zato/Zappa/Bridget are less weird than Millia/Potemkin?
>>
File: 280533-75.jpg (1MB, 2144x3092px) Image search: [Google]
280533-75.jpg
1MB, 2144x3092px
>>3852585
>Axl Low
>Weird

He's pretty much GG's Billy Kane.
>>
>>3851216
Anakaris is widely considered to be bottom feeder tier, not the worst character in the game but far from being viable, at least he's not Lilith.
Then again, Victor is also considered bottom tier but I've seen amazing Victor players over the years, Tiers aren't really anything more than generalizations over which character has the easiest time against others and requires less effort in learning how to use well.
>>3852690
GG's cast is extremely weird, from cartoony characters like Faust to the seemingly ordinary Slayer, what's great is that most characters are weird in gameplay too, see Venom, one of the most unique and fun zoners ever conceived, even Slayer's gimmicks aren't that straightforward, backdash cancelling, bite loops, Dandy Step, you name it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.