[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>this little shit costs 2x as much a Master System with controllers,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

>this little shit costs 2x as much a Master System with controllers, games and guns
Fucking how?
>>
>>3848726
Rarity/availability I expect.
>>
>>3848726
>Fucking how?

Reseller scum buying up and hoarding all the stock they can find, thereby creating an artificial scarcity.

I owned a couple of these back in the day. They were never particularly rare.
>>
>>3848734
>>3848737

Yeah, so how are resellers making money off of these things if I could just as easily purchase a standalone Master System and not have to worry about controller compatibility and needing a Genesis?
>>
>tfw I mailed my Master System to Sega in 1990 and they mailed me a PBC plus two free first wave Genesis games.
>>
>>3848753
Seriously? Because you don't have to hook up and plug in a whole new console.

It's quite sad and bizarre how sega didn't just shape the cartridge slot to allow Master System games, was there any actual valid reason for that?
>>
>>3848763
To sell the attachment of course.

That said, I see the convenience factor but I don't understand what SMS fan would be willing to part with more than double the money for the Converter. As for hipsters, doesn't having another console earn you more reddit gold than just a peripheral?
>>
I know of a game store with a Master System for $60. Is it worth that much? The only MS game I've played is Phantasy Star.
>>
>>3848753
Because there is demand for them
>>
>>3848772
>As for hipsters, doesn't having another console earn you more reddit gold than just a peripheral?

Pretty sure more obscure peripherals count for more than widely known and available consoles, plus sega isn't big with hipsters so it's sort of like a double rare?

I dunno why though, I've had a PBC for a couple years, mostly because I got it cheaper than an MS and it can take the 3d glasses and cards unlike some MS units which makes it handier for me even though I don't own any 3D games or cards for it.
>>
>>3848726
I never even knew this was a thing growing up, My cousin and I both a Genesis and later I got a SNES.
Maybe it was my location in Texas but I didn't learn the Master System existed until about 10 years later.
>>
>>3848778
Get something like this instead
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini-fm.html

At least then, you get FM sound.
>>
>wanting to play master system
there's only like, one or two actual good games on it
>>
Before this thread goes too much farther someone should really mention that the Everdrive can also run Master System games.
>>
>>3848887
No FM sound though. Would be tempted to get >>3848850 but the cost is way to high. Maybe if it were $30.
>>
>>3848883
Nah.
Wonder Boy 2 & 3,
Alex Kidd & Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, California Games,
Zillion 1 & 2,
Shinobi,
Land of Illusion & all the other Disney games,
Ninja Gaiden.

Master System is worth it.
>>
File: MD_2011_03[1].jpg (138KB, 600x638px) Image search: [Google]
MD_2011_03[1].jpg
138KB, 600x638px
>>3848892
Neo Myth MD is an older MD flash cart that also supports FM on MS games
>>
>>3848772
>To sell the attachment of course.

I'm not sure I buy this argument. Remember that consoles usually sell at a loss or break even, they really want the consumers to be able to buy their games which they can make money off of. That's why there's a focus on making consoles backwards compatible nowadays if at all possible. Think also about all the logistics, packaging, transport etc. and all of that bullcrap adding extra money to it when it could be part of the original price.

You may well be right, but I'm just wondering if there might be some other plausible explanation other than to screw over their customers and gain a tiny markup value on their "peripheral" after all that bullshit, when they could have just advertized it as a selling point for the console itself. I want to believe it wasn't that retentive.

Can it even be called a "peripheral" when it literally just connects the cartridge pins? It's more a connector if that's all it does isn't it?
>>
>>3848762
Tripcode was not need for this post
>>
>>3848920
Needed*
t. Phoneposter scum
>>
>>3848920
Of course it was

He's "saving the board"
>>
File: GS Mikami smug.png (8KB, 581x666px) Image search: [Google]
GS Mikami smug.png
8KB, 581x666px
>>3848762
So that's why you're so pro-Sega
>>
>>3848762
Sounds like a cheap stunt for publicity and the illusion they care about you. Big companies should treat everyone the same.
>>
Seems they can be picked up for pretty cheap on ebay, but the Master System was popular here so maybe it's a regional thing.

But if you can find a Master System for half the price, why not get that?
>>
Sega tax
>>
File: 1394260564225.png (295KB, 406x360px) Image search: [Google]
1394260564225.png
295KB, 406x360px
>>3848968
>sega tax is a thing now
>>
>>3848763
So you're saying the converter is a more desirable product than the original console. Also, while I don't know the sales figures, I doubt the converter sold the 10 million+ of the Master System.

So why would a one item cost more that a less desirable and more common alternative?

It's a tough one...
>>
>>3848901
>Wonder Boy 2
better on arcade
>Wonder Boy 3
better on tg16
>Alex Kidd
shitty mario wannabe
>Zillion
shitty metroid wannabe
>Shinobi
better on arcade
>Land of Illusion
was a game gear game in places that matter
>Ninja Gaiden
shit compared to any of the nes ninja gaiden games
>>
>>3848975
>So you're saying the converter is a more desirable product than the original console. Also, while I don't know the sales figures, I doubt the converter sold the 10 million+ of the Master System.
>So why would a one item cost more that a less desirable and more common alternative?
>It's a tough one...

What the hell are you blathering about, are you trying to be sarcastic in your last statement or something? As was pointed out to you the converter IS apparently more desired. I offered you the suggestion that it doesn't take up a lot of room and is neatly part of the system. You don't need extra cables and a power plug. Particularly nowadays when we have 20+ consoles possibly worth owning. But even back then, it makes sense to stick with one console if the conversion is indeed perfect. Why would you want another brick around the place if it was all in one device?

The "point" you made about the converter not selling as well as the Master System is incredibly stupid. First of all, I'm pretty sure it came out a long time after the Master System was released. Secondly, not everyone had a Genesis/Megadrive they could hook it up with. If they were left with a choice between buy a master system or a much cheaper converter, they would almost definitely have gotten the latter.
>>
>>3848997
Yes it was supposed to be sarcastic, well spotted. I was making a point that the simple economics of supply and demand explains why the Power Base Converter is a more valuable product. Obviously that point sailed cleanly over your head.
>>
File: Trebico.jpg (42KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Trebico.jpg
42KB, 600x450px
>>3848954
Pretty much, yeah. I'm sure they were also recycling the processors and other components to help meet the demand for Genesis. Just think of all the sweet angular plastic cases that got melted down. If they'd just waited 20 years until Regular Show came out they could have made a killing!

>>3848945
I'm just saving all my love for your mom
>>
>>3848983
It really shows that you haven't played the majority of those games. Calling Zillion and Alex Kidd "wannabe" says enough about that.
>>
>>3848778
They sell them for $150 at the retro store near me, $60 is reasonable if it's the original model. Model 2 is RF only.
>>
File: 1451935385100.png (152KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1451935385100.png
152KB, 500x500px
>Fucking how?
Well to start I've never even seen one irl and isn't the idea of a cool semi rare (from what I've seen) device to add to your genesis just rad?
>>
>>3848831
Did you know about the SC 3000?
>>
File: jazzclub_nice.gif (1MB, 287x206px) Image search: [Google]
jazzclub_nice.gif
1MB, 287x206px
>>3849018
I don't have a mom but you're welcome to have a crack at my mum.

Bring a duster though, for the cobwebs. She was born in 1944.
>>
File: Leia Beach.jpg (158KB, 1200x1205px) Image search: [Google]
Leia Beach.jpg
158KB, 1200x1205px
>>3849149
I don't like to assume that people getting cheeky with me are my age (or older) and British because your mama snaps still work surprisingly well on chan kids especially when you assume they had a neglectful one with a series of lame ass boyfriends. Just playing the odds, you understand.
>>
I love this thing. I used to play my MS collection on my genesis for many years.
Kinda sucks I can't use it on my JVC X'eye though.
>>
>>3849274
Agreed - and I used to display it on top of my model 1 stack but now I can't even find it now that I haven't been using it since I got the X'Eye
>>
>>3849139
>SC 3000
Nope. I remember renting the Sega CD from Blockbuster. They required a big deposit so it was rare my parents would let me.

I remember hearing about the PC engine but never saw one, it was referred to as "another 16 bit system with some awesome RPGs". I just thought my friend was bullshitting me at the time. We were big in the Final Fantasy and stuff back then.
>>
>>3849257
unf
>>
I have one of these that still works. $150.00? That's nuts
>>
>>3848892
>not modding for fm
top kek kid
>>
>>3848912
Check the pinout on the mega drive vs. the master system. They'd have had to nerf the mega drive to accommodate the older console.

Opposite thing happened with the GB vs. GBA. They maintained the same cart slot and as a result the 32bit GBA had to make do with a 16bit data bus. If they had been willing to use 2 cart slots or do away with BC the GBA code could have run at full speed with full instruction widths from the cart directly.

Easier to reroute the pins with an adapter.
>>
>>3849548
Are they really that much in America? You could just buy one f4om the UK, even with ahipping it wouldn't cost half that.
>>
>>3850945
I like my games to run at the right speed though
>>
>>3848726
There was not a single good SMS game
>>
>>3853646
>zillion
>power strike
>rastan
>golvellius
>action fighter
>kenseiden
>bomber raid
>cyborg hunter
>sagaia
>the ninja
>ninja gaiden
>global defense
>phantasy star
>golden axe warrior
>time soldiers
>quartet
>spellcaster
>astro warrior
>choplifter

Why you gotta lie tho
>>
>>3853671
that's some shit taste ya got there, mate
>>
>>3853675
Damn, you sure showed me
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.