[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are genesis controllers particularly vulnerable to the effects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

Are genesis controllers particularly vulnerable to the effects of time? Just bought a genesis and a controller today, and bought another controller from a used game store.

One of them has a B button that's fucked and won't read an input unless you press excessively hard on it. Same story with the other one, except it's the C button. They both look fine cosmetically. Anything to look out for when buying genny controllers out in the wild that would indicate whether they are decent or not? Are there any new 3rd party controllers that are as good as the real deal?
>>
>>3847334
I remember wearing out the B button on my cousins Genesis controller some 20 years ago. They are prone to having problems. Did you open them up and see what they look like inside? A lot of times they can get dirt and small bits of debris that can block buttons.
>>
The way they look just makes them seem so solidly built. I always liked the way Sega designed their hardware. Much more so than anything Nintendo ever came up with. Just being honest here.
>>
The way they're arched makes the B button a little looser than the other two so it gets more dirt in there. Take it apart, take the membranes out, clean them with warm soapy water then let them dry completely (!) and put them back together.
>>
>>3847334
chances are the membrane or contact is dirty and isn't completing the connection propperly. Take it apart and give the membranes a good clean, clean the PCB with a dry cotton bud too. I had the same problem with my SNES controller with the start and select buttons
>>
>>3847352
I'll do it when I get home. Will standard tools take one apart or will I have to deal with some proprietary screw heads like with snes stuff?
>>
>>3847359
Yeah iirc they just have Phillips screws. I'm pretty sure "game bit" is a Nintendo thing.
>>
>>3847334
I would say yes. But NES controllers even more so. With NES controllers, the buttons have issues registering after time.
>>
OP here. In case anyone is curious, I took both controllers apart, put all the contact pads in a very hot water and dish soap solution for 30ish minutes, used vodka and q-tips to clean the little mobo, and dipped am old tooth brush in the vodka and scrubbed the shit out of the case to clean out the grime. Put both of them in and tested them out, both work like a charm now.

Thanks for the suggestion to clean it everyone itt. Most of my /vr/ related stuff is mine from childhood, and I guess I've taken good care of all my shit because buying these new genesis controllers is the first time I've ever had to deal with a unresponsive controller thst wasn't simply worn the fuck out from too much use.
>>
I have two three button and one six button controllers which still work great. I helps if you don't don't slobber on it and shove it up your ass.
>>
>>3847334

This shit wouldn't concern you if you went for emulation and an iBuffalo SNES-style controller instead. kek
>>
>>3847869
Why did you use vodka?
>>
>>3847869
>vodka
>not pure alcohol
>>
>>3848121
>>3848117
I thought I had some isopropyl at home but couldn't find any. My other options were vodka and finger nail polish remover, and I went with vodka because I figured the potential for it having an additive that is bad for electronics was lower than the finger nail polish remover, which is essentially acetone and some shit that turns it purple.

It worked just fine, just took longer to dry than isopropyl alcohol would have.
>>
>>3848032
I already have an emulator box and ibuffalo setup. Switching between the emulated versions of thunder force 3/4 and the saturn gold packs, the input lag became very noticeable. I play more shmups than anything on the genesis these days so I figured I'd just invest in the actual hardware and a flashcart. The genesis is cheap as fuck (got mine for $30), and the flashcart for it is much cheaper than the one I have for my n64 (somewhere between $40-$50 for a kryzz or however you spell it). Since I'm not a complete poorfag, a >$100 barrier to entry for a genesis isn't that big of a deal.
>>
>>3848309

Input lag depends on your setup. The Retroarch cores themselves should not have noticable input lag. If you're playing on a Raspberry Pi though -> different story. I had one and immediately got rid of it because Recalbox had horrible input lag. On my PC on the other hand I have a low lag display, an Intel i5 and a recent graphics card. I can run the BSNES core with hard GPU sync and the crt-royale shader. The entire setup cost like 1000€ two years ago, though. Emulation can be pretty good but it will cost you. It's a myth that it is only for cheapskates who can't affort used game cartridges because the hardware for really good emulation is pretty expensive.
>>
File: rats off.png (69KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
rats off.png
69KB, 375x360px
And this guy right here >>3848309, Ladies and Gentlemen is doing it exactly right. He's been sampling games through emulation, he's aware of the advantages of real hardware however slim they may be, he correctly identifies the platform to offer him the best return he can get on a modest investment and he makes it without delaying enough for prices to rise further and discourage him.
>>
>>3848347

Don't encourage him to spend tons of cash on dying carts and hardware. La Emulación is the way to go.
>>
>>3847869
yeah a lot of problems with hardware are surprisingly simple. Most of the time it's just dirty contacts. Always keep in mind some of these components are like 30 years old. It's a good idea to learn some skills like soldering too just in case your consoles or other components start acting up you can always maintain them. It is easier than you may think if you haven't done it before.
>>
>>3848337
I've never really looked into more high end emulation. I have a decent pc that im sure could handle it just fine (i5 with a gtx 970), I just wasn't aware that there were 8-16 bit emulators that actually used gpu. I've been using snes9x, nesterj, and that sega emulator that starts with a K since the early 2000s, and I'm pretty sure all of those just use one core of your cpu.

I use a raspberry pi as a daily driver with an HDMI to composite converter so I can play on a crt tv. I don't really have any desire to play retro on my pc honestly. But like you said, it's far from perfect. Hence why I've been digging my old consoles out and buying ones that I don't own to phase out the use of the raspberry pi.

My raspberry pi is actually pretty cool. I put it in a (legitimately fubar'd) nes. The original LED lights up when you power it on, the original power and reset buttons carry out their intended function with the pi, and there's 2 usb ports per original controller port, so there's 4 player capability. It looks nice, and is great for playing 4 player arcade games like Xmen and stuff. Made my own splash screen for it and everything, it was a really fun project. When the time is right in sure I could get some hipster to pay a pretty good amount for it.

Splash screen:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CSE6N0_xlXQ

Here's another I made that's alright but a little too over the top for my tastes: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8islalTN8
>>
>>3848362
>blowing money on carts
Lol no

I haven't bought a cart or retro disc based game in at least a decade. There's a flash cart or a way to play burned discs on every retro console that matters.
>>
>>3848362
A Genesis is solid state and built so robustly that it'll outlive OP's kids - assuming nobody plugs an NES power supply into it.

>>3848374
>I put it in a (legitimately fubar'd) nes
Hmph. Well can I have the 72 pin connector at least? Also have you checked out the thread about getting 240p directly out of RPis? I still haven't fucked with one but it sounds like a pretty recent hack and money-saving as well.
>>
>>3848402
Gave the connector to a friend. I'll have to check out that hack, would love to get an easy boost in image qualify
>>
>>3847367
SNES controllers have phillips head screws too, I've taken few apart over the years for cleaning and mixing and matching of parts. The carts and console itself use proprietary screws though.
>>
File: 1469795697841.gif (4MB, 171x200px) Image search: [Google]
1469795697841.gif
4MB, 171x200px
>Trying to take apart console/controller
>Hidden screws under the stickers

As a preservefag. there has to be a better way.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.