[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does this board feel about indies remaking retro games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Cave_Story_gameplay.gif (64KB, 540x362px) Image search: [Google]
Cave_Story_gameplay.gif
64KB, 540x362px
How does this board feel about indies remaking retro games?

pic semi related.
>>
>>3846257
pic not related at all
>>
Cave Story IS retro now that there's a MD port but I'm not sure what it would be considered a remake of or what other IPs would be so worthless indie devs could get away with stealing?
>>
>>3846263
Is an interesting question.

someone could remake top 25 atari 2600 games and put it on steam you know.
>>
>>3846263
It isn't done, and I don't think you can even play it past the plantation...

That said, I am hyped for it, and I enjoyed what I played of it on a flash cart despite not all weapons yet being implemented.
>>
>>3846257

I can't think of any examples of that happening right now besides the Abe's Oddysee remake. It was pretty good, looked great. The only downside was that the new engine definitely had more bugs than the original. I don't ever recall the original game glitching out on me on PSX but New n' Tasty fucked up a couple of times while I was playing through it. Besides that, I think it's a decent idea as long as they don't fuck with the core gameplay too much.
>>
>>3846257
>How does this board feel about indies remaking retro games?

Please don't. Unless you happen to be a skilled creative writer with a professional background and proper education, then you're not doing anyone any justice.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
AM2R is pretty fantastic
>>
>>3847074

AM2R is the one great exception.
>>
>>3847074
I'm glad that even if Samus is relegated to solely being a smash character, we at least got this.
>>
>>3847074
It's not an indie, it's a fan game.
>>
>>3847145
OP said
>indies remaking retro games
Indies meaning a person in this case.
>>
>>3847074
>AM2R is pretty fantastic

Overrated. AMR2 is very much a GameMaker-tier project, and it rips too many assets directly from Zero Mission. ZM's assets unfortunately look awkward and disproportionate when scaled up for a PC game. And the GBA isn't capable of the same level of color detail.
>>
>>3846257
they feel awful and nothing like the real thing, these hipster fucks cant even include scanline filters
>>
>>3847169

>only lists some minor nitpicks
>overrated
>>
>>3847074
Not even a proper remake of M2. AM2R has the same problem Zero Mission does: it bills itself as a remake when it's a re-imagining at best.
>>
File: z.png (17KB, 330x298px) Image search: [Google]
z.png
17KB, 330x298px
>>3847993
would you be more interested in a graphical overhaul?
>>
>>3847169
I've gotta agree with this. Also the music is mediocre except for about 3-4 tracks and on hard enemies don't drop nearly enough rockets so I have to backtrack to save stations. The metroids before the queen fight could have been a bit tougher and the queen metroid fight was a bit weak too.
>>
>>3848150
I want a Metroid 2 remake that has a Monochrome/Color option and looks like the Baby Metroid cutscene in Super Metroid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM-pz1IweC8
>>
>>3846257
They're not that bad, but it don't quite get the hard-on with making sidescrollers. I instantly lose interest in an indie game as soon as I find out it's another sidescroller that adds nothing to what we already have.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.