[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you believe Panzer Dragoon Saga is overhyped? Or is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: a.jpg (81KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
81KB, 700x483px
Do you believe Panzer Dragoon Saga is overhyped?

Or is ti genuinely great?
>>
Both, like most games that are overhyped. They are good, but not worth thousands of dollars or the insane "one of the best games EVER" praise.
>>
It's a good game, and almost nobody talks about it so it would have to be abysmal to be "over"-hyped. It's expensive and a prestige commodity because it had a low print run, not because people talk it up ad nauseam, but some people can't seem to understand the difference and for some reason believe that the prices of old games are a direct reflection of their quality.
>>
It is an A- or A game that honestly could have been one of the greatest games of all time except it clearly was rushed. Unlike Xenogears (another rushed game), PDS did have its entire skeleton laid out when the crunch came on but it didn't come together quite as tightly as Vagrant Story. PDS's world is canonically so vast though (compared to VS) that it feels extremely empty. It would have been so, so sweet if it had a Fable level of side quests but instead it has just teasingly enough that it might have been better if it had none. Then even more importantly while Vagrant Story short-cut their combat system by just nerfing all the mechanics they seem not to have had time to fully balance in PDS they just kind of guessed on some numbers that makes combat breakable around midgame. That gave me a power boner back in the day but it hurts my desire to replay and on top of that it has game-enhancer detection so I'm additionally discouraged from trying to raise the difficulty.

Still a very very good game with style out the ass and unique mechanics, one that scuttlebutt has the source code being lost so don't expect to ever get a port that isn't just emulation.

I have a real emo story about how I came by my first copy, and a tangentially related one about having two copies at once I could blog about but I'll control myself
>>
>>3846163
Panzer Dragoon Saga is literally a contender for the absolute best game on Saturn, so if anything the game itself is underrated because so few have played it. Add the Earthbound stigma where an average to pretty good game gets hyped as amazing and sold for high prices and you get people who just assume it's overrated because of its cost. Most any game fan who knows anything knows that PDS is so expensive because of it's truly extreme rarity more than hype and false accounts of rarity a la EB.
>>
File: Panzer-Dragoon-Saga-USA.jpg (2MB, 1600x2140px) Image search: [Google]
Panzer-Dragoon-Saga-USA.jpg
2MB, 1600x2140px
>>
>>3846163
PDS actually lives up to its hype.

Now, Battle Garegga and Batsugun are actual overhyped games.
>>
>>3846429
blog away tripfag. /vr/ is legitimately a great board. You guys actually care about your hobby of choice and want to discuss its merits and all that. Its infinitely better than shitposting console wars.
>>
>>3846575
Only shmup fans "hype" those games. In general, nobody knows what the fuck they are. But in any case, no shmup should cost HUNDREDS of dollars. Thank fuck Garegga got a PS4 port. Retards who shelled out 300 bucks for the Saturn version should be ashamed of themselves.
>>
It is a tremendous game that I'd encourage people to play it. Fantastic music, top notch art, some of the best art in a game period, a great battle system, and a really cool story. The combat is easy but each battle is very unique and encourages different playstyles or adaptive apparoaches very often making it really satisfying to get those excellent ratings and figure out how to engage. The attacks in combat have a real sense of awe too, nothing like having the entire shel couf be tossed at you, refighting the guardian dragon, and taking on atolms berserker rage.

Read some of the interviews about the post release from the game. Its really informative.
>>
>>3846163
It's absolutely amazing. One of the single most enjoyable, powerful experiences I've ever had with a game. Its presentation, combined with its music, makes for an almost hypnotic experience and it completely draws you into an amazing world. The fact that it's also such a mysterious game (everyone knows it's fantastic but few have actually played it, unlike FFVII or Chrono Trigger or some such) means it isn't overexposed, or even really exposed at all. It's one of the purest, best gaming experiences in existence; one where you fully enjoy the entire of it knowing that you're entering into something special, without spoilers in popular culture having ruined it long before hand. I had a very similar experience reading War and Peace in that way, and, well, that's all I really need to say by this point.
>>
I dunno lol
>>
Battle system is good. I wouldn't say it's an RPG, but more of an adventure game with RPG elements. Try emulating if you can't afford it.
>>
>>3846597
Well long story short, I just happened to find a copy at a Babbage's in a dying mall but I didn't have the $60 at the moment so my girlfriend bought it for me but I was kind of an ass about it and we broke up later that year so I have a bunch of memories of our relationship being not-so-good associated with the game. Then during the mid '00s I was accepting trade on some eBay auctions and I came upon a second copy that I actually dumbly got slightly concerned about which was which for sentimental reasons when I sold one off later.

On topic, even though I made out pretty well on that sale and on the trading in particular I probably should have held on to both copies.
>>
I'm about halfway through. The battle system was a nice novelty at first but I feel like I figured out all the ins and outs already. The story doesn't seem particularly interesting or well-written but the setting itself is very interesting. The random battles are a major bummer so I don't like flying around picking up items in every area or otherwise exploring. The music is decent and the graphics are tolerable; it's cool that the game tries to use a lot of gestures and whatnot to make dialogue more engaging but the saturn simply doesn't offer very much detail. I suppose it's an impressive attempt at 3d for the time but there are lots of older 2d games that look better.

So far it's decent but it hasn't lived up to the hype so far.
>>
Overhyped through and through. Just download it and try it in an emulator if you're curious.
>>
>>3846429
>We'll never get a finished PDS
>We'll never get a finished Xenogears or any of its planned sequels
>We'll never get a finished VS with literally double the content
>>
>>3847031
panzer dragoon saga is a pretty good length. Apart from expansion on Craymen, not a lot was really incomplete in the final game.

Of all the hyper-ambitious RPGs of the time, PDS is possibly the most complete.
>>
>>3847031
PDS more or less all it needed to be anyway. I'd only want more of the game simply because I love it so much; it doesn't actually need anything more though.

>we'll never get a finished VS

VS was bloated and convoluted as a game anyhow. One of those games which really just should have been made on the PS2. I agree with you on Xenogears though, that's just a tragedy.
>>
>>3847442
>bloated and convoluted
But that's everything that we love about Matsuno. People say you should slog through VS combat to experience the story but the dungeon crawling was the best part.
>>
>>3846232
>and almost nobody talks about it

Maybe ten or fifteen years ago but it's damn near impossible to not see it brought up in any discussion related to the Saturn now.
>>
I didn't know this 'til now, but Erio Itoh, the singer for what is objectively the greatest video game vocal track of all time also did the vocal tracks for Puella Magi Madoka Magica, a great anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhAAYJNQZ_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btmSuNcxiIU

Her range is impeccable.
>>
I find the visual design of this series spellbinding in itself. That on its own justifies any hype for me.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.