[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Besides tracking down an arcade cab, what's the best way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: HotD.jpg (111KB, 968x720px) Image search: [Google]
HotD.jpg
111KB, 968x720px
Besides tracking down an arcade cab, what's the best way to play House of the Dead today?
>>
>>3845418
Model 2 emulator by elsemi, a screenshot of which you're displaying right now since the game doesn't run at a high resolution
>>
>>3845421

Yep, easy to set up with an Aimtrak or other sensor based gun. Even fun with a mouse.
>>
>>3845421
>a screenshot of which you're displaying right now since the game doesn't run at a high resolution
what?
>>
>>3845418
there are some ports
>>
>>3846201
The ports aren't very good. Emulation is the way to go, the hard part is getting a REAL light gun into the mix.

The only viable options are waiting for an act-labs gun to pop up on eBay, and then playing on a PC CRT as long as your graphics card still supports VGA via DVI-I, or using a guncon 2 on an older XP machine and a graphics card with S-video out. Both have pros and cons, but short of buying a cabinet, there's not much else out there.
>>
>>3845418
Nintendo Wii
>>
>>3845428
How can you not understand that?
>>
>>3845418
The saturn version with stunning 30fps gameplay
>>
I thought the original whatsit was lost so it can only be played in an arcade cabinet.
>>
>>3846323

I'm confused too. What constitutes as "high resolution" to you? I have a 1600*1200 monitor and it's grand.
>>
>>3846427
The source code was lost, so it'll never be ported again.
>>
>>3845418

PC port with glide isn't the worst thing in the world as long as you have cd music
>>
>>3845418
Use your pc boxed copy like i got.
>>
>>3846480
>>3846487
>PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCKDT4y7nxE
At the time, and if you're running on a toaster, maybe. The textures are worse, there's no shadows, if you aren't running on 98 then you'll probably have framerate issues, it's just one of those games you're better off emulating.

I feel like the difference between HotD2 arcade and PC isn't half as bad as this, and it comes with all the extra modes and shit so it's more of a toss-up. And the port for 3 is great as long as you hack the crosshair and disable auto-reload.
>>
>>3846505

Yeah ok, fair enough
>>
File: tod01.png (407KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tod01.png
407KB, 640x480px
>>3845418
>>
>>3846434
It is a screenshot of an emulator.
>>
>playing HotD
Why? Virtua Cop is better.
>>
>>3846426

More like 20. It's weird how Sega did such a great job porting the Virtua Cop games to Saturn, only to shit the bed so hard with House of the Dead.
>>
>>3846691
i just like it

can i play both?
>>
>>3846709
virtua cop was am2 (their best, most prolific team)

hotd was am1 (also known as wow entertainment)

i'm not saying that that's the reason but that's the reason
>>
>>3846709
Virtua cop was a far more simple title. Just compare the shadows. The lighting engine is what made HotD such a pretty game, while Virtua cop is practically on fullbright with very simple textures that are easy to downscale.

You just couldn't find that kind of lighting outside of the arcade back then.
>>
>>3846709
>>3846725
It's also to do with Virtua Cop being developed for the most basic Model 2 configuration, while HotD was developed for the most beefed up Model 2 configuration.
>>
>>3846749
I don't think people appreciate how absolutely insane the model 2 was. This is a system that came out in 93, using a 2 million dollar ex-military chip, supporting hardware T&L that didn't come to home computers until the tail end of the 90s. The Saturn and PS1 didn't have any hope of keeping up.
>>
>>3846762
The hardware T&L in Model 2 isn't actually part of the Lockheed-Martin chip. Sega just gave the CPU 6 powerful Fujitsu FPU co-processors.

It's not too different from GTE on PS1 or the SCU DSP in Saturn.
>>
>>3846725
>>3846749
>>3846762
>>3846774
You guys know your shit.
>>
>>3845418
By suffering like G did.
>>
>>3846675
>Characters running around with keyboards instead of guns.
I have yet to play.
I'd better fix that
>>
>>3847142
>Characters running around with keyboards instead of guns.
>I have yet to play.
>I'd better fix that

Damn right you do. I don't care if you play the Dreamcast version, the PC port, or hell, if you manage to get your hands on one of the Japan-exclusive arcade cabinets, but Typing of the Dead is one of those games that you absolutely must play at least once in your life. And if you liked Overkill, they made a Typing of the Dead conversion of that too.
>>
>>3846201
The ports are awful. Saturn port has a delay from when you pull the trigger to when the game recognizes the input causing your shots to lag behind where you actually aimed.
>>
>>3845418
I play on a Dreamcast, CRT, and found two cheap Pelican lightguns a little while back. If you can scrounge up a cheap DC and a free CRT, you'll come across lightguns for decent prices on eBay, although an emulation option sounds really great.
>>
>>3846905
I don't wanna die!

My god.
>>
>>3847190
Typing Overkill is so fucking good.
>>
>>3845421
>Model 2 emulator by elsemi

Wish I could use the Wii mote with it for using as a light gun. i mean if dolphin can do it why can't this emulator do it if I could also use my mouse
>>
>>3849116
I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to use one of the programs that turns wiimote movement into mouse movement.
>>
Goldberg...
>>
>>3846709
VC 2 was ported by AM2, HOTD was outsourced to Tantalus i believe
>>
>>3845418
man I remember downloading this off of Kazaa
>>
>>3846675
>>3847142

Legitimately how I got good at typing in high school. I still have fond memories of the crazy shit you had to type on the chainsaw boss.
>>
File: community_image_1385422486.png (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1385422486.png
86KB, 640x480px
>>3846675
>>
>>3846691
There's 50x more depth to the limb-shooting mechanics in HOTD and HOTD 2.
>>
>>3846505
The Arcade version in 1080p actually looks pretty fucking good. The textures are extremely nice for 1996, though that's just the superiority of Arcades at the time.
>>
>>3851265
But there's no depth, all you do is aim for headshots which are super easy. Meanwhile high end VC score play is all about shooting hands for justice shots.

The problem with HotD as a series is it has far too many moments where you turn a corner and have to react instantly or you take damage. Virtua cop is far more forgiving of this, while it has the odd "gotcha!" it never feels bullshit. Add in the bonus weapons, and the desire to keep the automatic for as long as possible ramps the tension far more than just one health point normally would.

>>3851269
I play all my shit at 640x480, but yeah, it still looks great. Only the jacket bugs me a little, they couldn't have spared a few more polygons for that?
>>
>>3850013
I remember downloading CP off kazaa
>>
>>3845418
People here will tell you here the Saturn port is shit. It's not, it's very faithful and you can play with a light gun if you have a CRT. It is ugly though.
>>
>>3851309
>it's very faithful
I didn't realise the game ran at 20 fps.

If it's your only option, it's better than playing with a wiimote knockoff at least. But the real game emulates pretty well if you happen to be one of the half a dozen people still running a PC with a true lightgun.
>>
>>3851282
>there's no depth, all you do is aim for headshots

So? That doesn't change the fact that the depth is there. Have some fun and blast them across their bodies, arms, legs etc. There is no parallel in any other railshooter (that I am aware of). There's also a lot of enemy variety to supplement this. For example the skinny fucks in HOTD 2 are so fragile their arms come off in one shot, which is pretty funny. HOTD is more my thing because VC is just humans who die in one shot. I still enjoy VC though.
>>
>>3851323
It's got all the routes, enemies and gameplay of the arcade game, that's what I meant by faithful. There is no way the Saturn could have hoped to compete from a technical perspective with the arcade version.
>>
>>3851309
Pretty sure it misses a lot of secrets and bonuses, with some rooms having missing tables or people to save etc.
>>
>>3851327
The interactivity in shot placement is very nice, but it's there just in a different context in VC. You can go for 3 point shots if you're crazy.

The one shot kills are one of the reasons I like it so much, you know that if you've landed the hit, you're safe. With HotD, sometimes an enemy will recover much faster than you expected, and there are some enemy types like the monkey cunts that almost border on being a chore to fight, because it's not safe to attack at certain points or you'll just die to a grab while you reload. They're better in 2, and I appreciate the concept of different enemy types, but that's about it.
>>
You know what nobody ever talks about? Vampire night.

Honestly, aside from some lacklustre bosses, it feels like the true HotD3.
>>
>>3851269
How do I get it running at a higher res? If I try to up it the crosshair gets desynced with my mouse.
>>
>>3852873
Are you maintaining the aspect ratio?
>>
>>3852709
Vampire Night was the shit. But I never found a cabinet in Canada, only in Scotland for some reason. Meanwhile it seemed like every arcade had HotD3
>>3852878
Yeah. I'm using the Model 2 emulator. Even going fullscreen fucks up.
>>
>>3845418
>play DC House of the Dead
>make it about 5 minutes, every time
What the fuck do I need to get good at this shit, a second gun?
>>
>>3852881
2 guns is always a terrible idea. Fun, but terrible. Make sure you're always shooting the closer zombie first, and spend an extra 5 seconds on calibration really dialing it in. Look up gun holding stances if you really need to, but HotD is pretty forgiving of accuracy. Reload speed is pretty useful.

>>3852880
I'm glad it had a PS2 port, I doubt I would have ever seen it otherwise. Emulates pretty well, too.
>>
>>3852930
Thanks for advice anon, I might look up stances as I generally am terrible at lightgun games, my only childhood practice was Duck Hunt and playing the first level of Lethal Enforcers about 10,000 times
>>
>>3852940
There's definitely a bit of a knack to it, a gun with a nice sight profile might help. I haven't got a DC gun handy, but I feel like the official one had a weird set-up. The original Gun-con is pretty nice, although you'll probably want to use it on PS2 games because the accuracy is better.

I really don't understand why Time Crisis has such a shoddy calibration screen. In the arcade, it's fucking five points you have to shoot, and it's pixel perfect. In the PS1 version, they just kind of assumed everyone would have X amount of overscan, and so it's completely out of wack towards the sides if you have a decent screen. And you can't play it on MAME unless you cheat to get past the helicopters.
>>
It is a bit dinged up, but I'm glad I have a HotD cab. A shame that it never got a proper home port.
>>
>>3849116
you could try playing the wii port on dolphin
>>
>>3853047
I wish the model 2 emulator was a bit better, I might have to go Nvidia next time just for better emulation support. With ATI, I get some weird Z-fighting shit on the spooky backlit windows and in a few other parts. Still, 95% is pretty good, I'd be so sad if I had to settle for the Saturn or PC ports.

HotD is one of those cabs I'd easily pick up if I saw one going cheap.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.