[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they think that being constantly interrupted by dozen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (93KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
93KB, 750x600px
Why did they think that being constantly interrupted by dozen of random encounters would be fun? I really can't stand this game mechanic.
Why the chrono trigger version of this, more soft and enjoyable has never taken hold? Why this random encounter garbage began more popular?
>>
They tried to copy Wizardry where you get random encounters upon entering a room and once in a while when walking around.
DQ didn't implement rooms so they only popped up while walking around.
DQ was immensely successful so nearly everybody went on to copy it and continues to take hints from there.
>>
>>3845051
Final Fantasy 2 kinda did it with rooms that put you in the middle and had an obscene encounter rate.
>>
>why randoms
because d&d
>>
>>3845063
You don't get a random encounter every three steps in DnD.
>>
>>3845069
Typically 1:6 or 2:6 chance every 12 steps unless there's a dwarf or halfling.
>>
File: hoshii wizardry dragon quest.jpg (285KB, 600x921px) Image search: [Google]
hoshii wizardry dragon quest.jpg
285KB, 600x921px
>>3845026
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
>>
>>3845074
What module had a random encounter every two turns?
>>
>>3845083
1:6 during the day 2:6 at night/in high traffic areas is pretty standard
>>
>>3845125
For an hour of travel.
A lot of times it will be handwaved as one encounter no matter how long the journey is.
>>
>>3845026
It accomplishes a few different things.
1) It lets you keep the map scale zoomed-out, so exploration is faster. Visible, avoidable enemies require a more zoomed-in design with space to maneuver, slowing down the movement scale.
2) Unavoidable encounters ensure a continuous drain on player resources, which gives the feeling of an exhausting adventure.
3) A high rate of weak enemy encounters creates a feeling of heroes dashingly slashing through hordes of enemies. (The turn-based version of the non-elite enemies in something like Diablo.)
>>
>>3845026
Japs are addicted to grinding.
>>
>>3845026
I wouldn't complain as much if it didn't interrupt the music every single encounter. Modern games had the great idea of giving every music track an exploration and battle version, where the battle themes picked up pace and played with more instruments or added a driving or underlying rhythm to them.
>>
>>3845132
That's outdoors. Hexes not squares. I assumed we were talking about in dungeons. Retro JRPGS especially third gen ones had pretty limited map space though so you can't blame them for scaling down outdoor travel.
>>
I'm surprised more games didn't take an approach like Zelda 2 or Seventh Saga. I thought those two systems for enemy encounters were fantastic.
>>
>>3845542
>Visible, avoidable enemies require a more zoomed-in design with space to maneuver, slowing down the movement scale.
no, that's just how it's usually implemented. like >>3845629 said, devs could use a zelda 2 approach if they wanted to.

there isn't any need to have visible enemies unless there's a significant puzzle/avoidance aspect to the game. and since encounters add length for the game and function as a skinner box for the typical player, allowing the player to avoid them would seemingly make the game worse (despite making it better). plus, the manhours that would be spent on enemy placement can be spent on something else.

>>3845582
>I wouldn't complain as much if it didn't interrupt the music every single encounter.
just need good battle music. what's bad is when the map music restarts at the end of each battle instead of picking up where it left off.
>>
>>3845026
Oh man I just hate when I'm trying to figure out where to go or something in the game and get interrupted by battles.
>>
>>3845629
Not /vr/ but I was amused to see this come back in the two sequels to FF13. Enemies would warp in around you and you could just fuck off and run past them. I liked it.
>>
>>3845026

I like Chrono Trigger but i hate JRPGS.
>>
>>3845692
Last Remnant had world map enemies like some other games in the genre, but I liked you could aggro multiple groups and get a huge random encounter all at once. The more you killed in a single fight, the bigger the rewards were.
>>
>>3845665
>having to solve a block pushing puzzle or something similar with random encounters

I hate this shit so much. At least give me a break from fighting so I can work this bullshit out.
>>
>>3845704
Reminds me of Persona 4. If you kill an enemy formation when two are in the room, the second fight starts in a chain.

Anyway I was introduced to RPGs with Paper Mario, and honestly I really do prefer field encounters. Makes the monsters feel like they actually belong in the area and I'm pissing them off by trespassing on their turf.
>>
>>3845054
This. Even the normal encounter rate was ridiculous.

People say that the battle system is the reason why FFII is the most hated final fantasy, but for me it's the encounter rate. It was mind-numbing just trying to say I've beaten FFII. Got there in the end, don't know if I'd ever play it again.

Story wasn't bad, even if it was star wars.
>>
>>3845026
Random encounters add thrill and risk to an otherwise thrilless genre of turn based games. If you have control over when you have encounters you're never put in a tough spot and that is boring. These games are about managing your dwindling resources in a deep dungeon where nothing is certain.

Random encounters are good and were absolutley neccesary to make the classic console RPG good. Even today random encounters could still be used well, if anyone could be arsed.
>>
>>3845813
This. Random encounters aren't magically a bad thing once put in a game, but they're an incredibly frustrating mechanic that can sour a game if misused. A lot of little things, like how the player can manage resources or the encounter rate, or the rate you gain exp or gold... all of this shit has to be dealt with very carefully.
>>
>>3845026
The idea stems from early PC games where system limitations and ease of programming made random battles a lot more attractive to developers. Early console RPGs were influenced by those games and adopted the idea, and then later RPGs were influenced by those early console RPGs.

I mean, modern games have pretty much thrown the idea away, probably in large part due to massively increased asset development budgets and system resources being virtually limitless.
>>
i like random encounters
>>
>>3845891
Ultima rarely did random encounters.
>>
>>3845902
Huh? Ultima 1 had random battles on the overworld.
>>
>>3845914
Randomly placed enemies you could easily avoid if you didn't want to fight.
>>
>>3845542
>3) A high rate of weak enemy encounters creates a feeling of heroes dashingly slashing through hordes of enemies.
It's more akin to pushing the lawnmower across the yard.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.