[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/, I'm looking for some kind of light gun emulation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: lightgun.jpg (30KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
lightgun.jpg
30KB, 600x300px
Hey /vr/, I'm looking for some kind of light gun emulation pack.

A MAME set without the fluff would be nice. I used to have most of them, but SSD failure killed my slowly growing collection.

In an ideal world, someone would have built a front-end or some shit with everything up to DEMUL, but I'm probably going to have to do all that myself again, given I play everything on Windows 7 with a secondary VGA monitor. So it's back to forcing programs into fullscreen, hiding cursors, and using macros so that offscreen reload works.
>>
>>3843949
interested in this too
i remember hearing about how those guns that use infrared sensors are too inaccurate to be worth playing, never tried them on pc but i did notice i couldn't play with the cursor turned off when playing time crisis on the ps4 or any of the games on wii,
speaking of the wii, hows it handle og light gun games on mame?
>>
>>3845320
>>i remember hearing about how those guns that use infrared sensors are too inaccurate to be worth playing,
Yeah, they are. It's a shame, because from my time in the arcade, I don't remember having any calibration issues with games like HOTD2 deluxe or VC3, both of which used the same concept as the wiimote, IR LEDs around the screen. But the arcade stuff is set up for a known screen size and resolution, and there's probably some fancy processing going on behind the scenes to determine angles and tilt based on the relative positionings.

Light guns just aren't popular enough for any manufacturer to start making a new gun, the only hope after CRTs are dead is probably going to come from alternate sources like the Vive's tracking stuff. It'd be nice if that stuff took off and companies like Sega and Namco released some bundle packs of old light gun games in VR.
>>
>>3843949
have you looked into using a modded xbox? the gun for that system was really good but i have no idea which light gun games it can emulate well. i only remember playing hotd 2 and 3 off the hdd.
>>
>>3845918
I have, the support is pretty lacking. The gun is alright, and HOTD is nice, but I can play both of those games on my PC thanks to a native port and solid model 2 emulation, at a higher resolution without interlacing.

My set-up is pretty good, although after messing around with emulators, I've found that 6 year old hardware isn't quite good enough to get PS2 emulation at 100%. I could deal with a few glitches for the convenience, but TC2 constantly drops down to 70%. My next upgrade could kill the dream though, because it looks like DVI-I is finally dying out on this generation of cards.
>>
Just got around to setting up PSX emulation, mednafen actually works great once you get past the config stuff and figure out how to disable the cursor. Weirdly, it runs perfectly fine in windowed, but the mouse hooking it's doing doesn't work right in fullscreen, so I had to use a borderless windowed hack.

Last time I tried this shit with PCSX-R, and it was just awful. All I need now is to hook my pedal up, but spacebar will work for now.

I also had a look at something not retro, Blue Estate. I thought the swiping shit would make the game unplayable with a traditional gun, but luckily you can map that junk to the keyboard and disable the cursor with a hack. Unfortunately, the game has a very dumb way of supporting 4:3 resolutions, so even with raw mouse input, it displays in a shoddy widescreen that makes your aiming out of sync, right at the top of the "display" is actually only halfway up the screen, and you have to shoot the black borders to aim any higher. I could probably manually stretch my screen, but that'd look awful, and the game really isn't made for low resolutions anyway, with far away enemies turning into a blur.

Maybe this time around I'll be able to get Area 51 working, the dumb way it handles off-screen reloads has been a constant source of pain.
>>
I'm really curious about this, light gun games are probably my favorite genre of arcade game.
Is there any way to emulate both console and arcade shooters and play on a CRT with proper light guns like the g-con or justifier?
I got a flat screen Phillips CRT about a year ago just for time crisis and I'd love to play all the other games I've missed
>>
>>3846795
You can hook up a Guncon 2 as long as your graphics card supports S-video out and you can mess with the cable to get C-sync out, or you can just get an S-video to composite cable and use that. You're limited to 480i and can only emulate up to PS1 or so though, given how old the card has to be to still support S-video. Or you can use a (VGA) act-labs gun and a PC CRT.

It's easiest to just pick up a PS2 and stick to all the stuff available there, if you want HotD you could pick up an Xbox or a Dreamcast too, PC emulation only adds a few middling titles like Maze of the Kings, and better versions of some titles like HotD and Virtua Cop thanks to arcade emulation.
>>
File: file.png (351KB, 504x508px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
351KB, 504x508px
http://www.happmart.com/Pro_Details.aspx?id=264&sid=71&px=9

Should I buy one...? It's probably my favorite light gun. I don't think any of my guncons come close to an actual arcade one. This guy seemed to get it running for his PS2 pretty painlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4PACUHxghw
>>
>>3848018
130 bucks for a new one is pretty nice.

But honestly, mine is just sitting in a drawer. When I tried hooking it all up with a cheap power supply, it caused major picture distortion and latched every time I pulled the trigger thanks to EM leakage. Every tutorial out there is just "worked for me :)", with no actual "this is the PSU I used" info.

There's also sadly no way to get the recoil working "properly". You can build your own timer circuit but you're still going to get recoil whenever you try and off-screen reload, and the machine gun in TC2 will never be quite right. You can get a recoil signal out through MAMEhooker with a serial port adapter or something, but then you're limited to MAME.

They're also extremely heavy, for someone with weak little nerd arms like me, holding up a gun WITHOUT a massive solenoid in gets tiring after 20 minutes or so, that's even worse with the real thing.

Honestly, consider just getting a cab of point blank or TC1 if you see one cheap. For 300 bucks or so, you're getting 2 guns you can easily remove and try this stuff with, as well as a cabinet of a great game you can just play whenever you want.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.