[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here ever actually seen a battery-backed NES game's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

Has anyone here ever actually seen a battery-backed NES game's internal battery run out?

I have a bunch of carts with their original batteries, and all of them save just fine. It's rather impressive, considering many of them are going on 30 years. How long do you think they can last?
>>
Have they been stored somewhere very cold IME that extends the life of lithiums
>>
I've been reading magazines of the time and they often advertised these as lasting 5 years.
>>
>>3842608
Really?
It's rated for more like 15-20 years (without a RTC).
>>
>>3842615
"5-year Lithium Battery" was a literal buzz phrase
>>
>>3842624
Seems odd that they'd undersell it.
>>
Several.
I end up changing them everytime I end up opening a cart. Regardless.
>>
>>3842627
Some too-respected nip engineer carried the 1 wrong when he was calculating the draw and shit rolled downhill.
>>
Only one for me, and that it was one which was dead when I already bought the game. All the battery-backed games from my childhood are still kicking.

Game Boy is another story, where I've already had 3 games bite it for me.
>>
It's crazy really

My save file from FUCKING 1989 is still on my Zelda 1 cart

Zelda 2 (AoL) cart still has a fresh save file from around 1996 when I was playing it

Zelda 3 (LttP) dead, 100% dead. Save, come back, gone

Maybe it was a SNES thing because my Super Mario World has a similar problem
>>
Saves are for kids. Just keep your console on like a real man
>>
>>3842545
I have had to replace the battery in an SFC dragon quest game.
>>
I've seen a handful of cases. A Zelda II cart, a Zelda GB cart, and especially Pokemon carts. My copy of Pokemon Blue that I bought new-in-box had its battery expire about one year in. Although I had purchased it years after release date.

I don't know if this is true, but I always figured that proactively overwriting saves causes a small spike in voltage use, which would wear the battery down faster. (e.g. if you happen to be save-scumming through a game, or just playing the shit out of it)
>>
>>3842943
What game is that in the SFC, even? What about it was worth keeping the damn thing on for all this time?
>>
>>3842992
It's in the pic ...
>>
>>3842545
Never had this happen to me. What happens if you try to save to a cart with a dead battery? Do you get a save error like you would on a pc or something, or would the game just 'save' until you powered off the system?
>>
I got my SNES in 1999 (so young me considered it "old") and my first SMW cart had a bad battery. Got a second one that worked, but even that one seems to wipe saves if I go too long without playing it (never bothered me too much because I like replaying it). A few of my other SNES carts do the same thing, but to be fair, some of those games I only dig out every couple of years.

I still have 15-20 year old N64 saves (and as a non-Zeldafag none of my NES games have batteries) but I've never completely trusted SNES saves. I tend to expect the worst when I boot her up.
>>
>>3843653
The latter.
>>
>>3843093
It's in Japanese ...
>>
>>3842545
My copy of Shadowgate still worked when I played it last year.
>>
>>3843667
Good lord fool, read the headline.

Umihara Kawase (fan claims SNES has been on for 20 years...)

海腹川背
>>
>>3843667
It's written in English in the headline, Umihara Kawase.
>>
I have a gold copy of The Legend Of Zelda with a dead battery. It sucks.
Luckily I can finish the game in one sitting.
>>
>>3842545
Yeah. Mine lasted only like 10 years. Coincidentally it was the same game in the OP.
>>
Well, not NES, but I believe I have a non timekeeper GB cart (JP Kirby's Dreamland 2) with a dead battery.

I also have a prototype Rayearth GB cart where the battery exploded.
>>
>>3842545
I've seen one other Zelda 1 cartridge do it. These days every pokemon game needs a new battery. The strange thing is that most other carts are doing fine, even if they're using the same size batteries.

I'm almost certain saving uses an extra jolt of power though I don't know enough to say why. Maybe it requires extra energy to set the bits on the chip or something. Because the games it happens the most in are games where it happens the most are are the ones where you can save often and play a lot (ie. pokemon). Or any game that keeps a running clock.

Most games use checkpoints or save on death so you can't really spam saving or at least don't have an urge to. But I suppose if you play the shit out of anything enough it will happen eventually.
>>
>>3842545
>get copy of Dragon Warrior, battery just fine
>get copy of Pokemon Gold, battery dead
What did the batteries mean by this?
>>
>>3843828
You realize the cart has power from the console when saving occurs? It has absolutely no reason to use the battery for this function.
>>
>>3843661
Most N64 saves won't disappear. When the N64 came about they started using EEPROMs instead of SRAM to hold save data, meaning it doesn't need a battery, though IIRC a few N64 games did have to use the older SRAM setup for some reason.
>>
>>3843840
I never said I was smart. But I hadn't realized that. I just noticed a behavior and tried to link it with a cause that was more unique to the games that exhibit the behavior. My thinking was: even with power from the console the battery is still physically connected to the SRAM, and I don't know if there's a separate circuit to take power from the console to the SRAM or if it just all goes through the same circuit. Could it be a side effect of that, if the later is true?
>>
What does the battery look like :O
>>
>>3843850
>a few N64 games did have to use the older SRAM setup for some reason.
It's due to those older EEPROMs having only a limited amount of space. If a game needed more saving room, they'd have to go back to SRAM (e.g. Ocarina of Time).

However, later in the N64's life, flash RAM became available for saving (e.g. Majora's Mask). which is non-volatile like EEPROM and even larger than SRAM.
>>
I found out the battery in my copy of Monopoly on the Master System has died. Now the game can't be played until I replace it. Sad!
>>3843974
It's a lithium battery.
>>
I have a copy of Final Fantasy that when I opened it had clearly had the battery replaced. It was one of those electrical tape jobs rather than resaudering.
>>
>>3844106
It's soldering, with an L. Why do Americans always say "soddering"?
>>
>>3843974

haha
>>
>>3844110
that is actually the correct pronunciation, you can't expect every English language nation to keep up with your changes. Most differences in american pronunciation are just them retaining slightly older variations of words.
>>
>>3844164
Untrue on both counts.
>>
>>3844165
Oh fuck off, Sodder became solder because it sounded too much like sodomy for the sensibilities at the time
>>
>>3844168
No, yanks just have weird pronunciations, like wadder instead of water.
>>
>>3844169
That is true, but not this specific instance
>>
>>3844110
Crap, I'm an idiot. I knew it was spelled with an L but for some reason I didn't think to write it that way.
>>3844169
Maybe, but you guys like to spell everything weird.
>colour
>yoghurt
>centre
>oestrogen
>>
>>3844179
You're just used to simplified English.
>>
My original Zelda and link carts are still kicking and saving. I have had probably 5 tecmo super bowl carts stop saving and eventually changed the battery. I think the tecmo bowls got used alot more and on a yearly basis so batteries drained quicker.
>>
>>3842545
Best Zelda game
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.