[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please tell me that I'm not the only one that bought one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_3891.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3891.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
Please tell me that I'm not the only one that bought one of these at RadioShack back in the day just to listen to my N64 in surround sound. I had to purchase an in-line volume adjuster to go with it, but when I put those headphones on and started up Mario64, the sound of the waterfall behind me was epic.
>>
>>3842259
>RCA
>Surround
>>
>>3842342
While your sentiment is correct, Dolby Surround is transmitted over stereo RCA leads and decoded into surround by the receiver. So something like...
>stereo headphones
>surround
...would have been more appropriate.
>>
>>3842259
You just reminded me that I need to buy some of those cables to finish up my PVM/capture setup.
>>
>>3842361
Is it even possible to have Surround sound in headphones
>>
>>3842379
There are surround sound headphones with like, lots of little speakers in them, but they're expensive and kind of dumb. Good stereo headphones can give a great sense of immersion and space, surround headphones are a wholly niche and largely meme market.
>>
>>3842413
Sure, but I mean Surround sound only makes sense when the sound comes from different places, when you have a headset, it can't really come from any other place besides very cramp spaces next to your ears
>>
>>3842418
Exactly, there's not really enough space to actually do it. I mean they try, but that's why I said good stereo phones will give largely the same experience.
>>
>>3842379
Technically yes.

There's what >>3842413 mentioned, but there's another option.
Some decoders can manipulate 5.1 surround into two channels for headphones.
It's not the exact same, but it's a decent approximation.
>>
OP here. They were just standard headphones, but the surround effect was definitely there. I know it wasn't true SS, but damn it sounded good.
>>
>>3842413
>>3842418
getting surround from stereo headphones requires your source to have proper HRTF applied.
>>
File: Crushers.jpg (161KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Crushers.jpg
161KB, 2000x2000px
Pic related is fucking awesome for gaming.
They have integrated subwoofers, which can physically shake the headphones.

Shit blowing up or bosses roaring can get pretty intense, which makes it great for games like Starfox or The Legend of Zelda.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (80KB, 1352x1016px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
80KB, 1352x1016px
I just ran it through my Dolby 5.1 with a sound field.

I remember being mildly annoyed my DSP couldn't decode pic related into actual surround
>>
>>3842413
Not dumb at all. If you need surround sound and everyone else in the room doesn't want to listen to your game it's about the smartest thing you can do.

>>3842418
All the sound you hear comes though an even more cramped space inside your ear einstien.

>>3842420
There's plenty of space and stereo headphones don't come close. I'm guessing you've never actually used surround headphones.

>>3842612
>awesome for gaming
They are. I have something similar. The bass is great but I actually turn it down in a lot of games because it's distracting. What surround headphones are really good for is subtle sounds. Like footsteps.
>>
>>3842729
>All the sound you hear comes though an even more cramped space inside your ear einstien.
True but a headset gives very little room for sound direction doesn't it?
>>
>>3843137
A headset makes it stupid easy. You just put speakers in the obvious locations and pipe the obvious signal into them. There's nothing to stop you from making surround earbuds though. Aside from having to process the signal in real time to simulate the outer ear which is likely noticeably different for each individual.
>>
>>3842575
No, it was in stereo. Only games with dolby output surround sound and you'd need a decoder. You probably just had a mono tv.
>>
>>3842259
I probably have a dozen of those adapters from when an ebay seller was doing close-out and had em priced $1.50 apiece. They're useful for tons of stuff
>>
Do modern receivers even decode Dolby Surround anymore? I've never had a surround set up but I kind of want one for the few /vr/ games that supported it.
>>
>>3842612
Sounds fucking stupid, enjoy your hearing loss.
>>
>>3844958
Except it's not loud, it's all infrasound.
>>
>>3844914
I think if the receiver supports analog audio, it's likely to still support Pro Logic. It's dead simple compared to modern digital stuff, and it seems to be cheap to include, I think it's likely. If not you can get decoders on AliExpress for dirt cheap that do digital too. I was thinking about building a completely ghetto surround rig using a decoder and several goodwill amps.
>>
>Caring about the sound setup on a console with audio as shitty as the N64's.
Ridiculous.
>>
File: placebo_newheader_0[1].png (131KB, 980x400px) Image search: [Google]
placebo_newheader_0[1].png
131KB, 980x400px
>>3842575
>They were just standard headphones, but the surround effect was definitely there.
>>
>>3842575
>the surround effect was definitely there
>IN MY MIND!!!

>>3844958
Enjoy your hearing loss. It starts at around age 13 so you'll be experiencing it soon.
>>
>>3844964
>a 2 inch speaker can produce infrasound that physically rattles the headphones
>>
>>3845280
Educate yourself.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/unique-bass-sensation-skullcandy-crusher-page-2#zjPMS2bAwtYfPzk7.97

The entire marketing gimmick for the Crushers is how pants-on-head retardedly much bass they have.
>>
>>3842413
Surround headphones tend to suck. I used to use one of those turtlebeach surround sound headsets... went through quite a bit of them because one of the bits of plastic kept breaking, through intended use of all things, meaning I dreaded putting it on and taking it off. I pretty much eventually said fuck it and went with headphones for music.

Surround sound headphones are a meme
>>
>>3845414
Turtlebeach is infamous for having really shitty fragile plastic.
>>
>>3845414
Agreed completely, a good stereo set is pretty much all you need.
>>
>>3845414
>i bought meme shit so everything is meme shit
>i talk about listening to music on a video game board
>after i scratch my butt my finger tastes like yellow
>>
>>3845592
My sister bought it for me
>>
>>3845414
shitty_retarded_gaming_headsets.png
>>
>>3845830
>tfw there are people who seriously think Gaming headsets are good
>tfw I learned the hard way that all that is bullshit
>they never fucking listen
>>
>>3846394
>tfw kids be stupid on the internet
>>
>>3846861
Sad thing was, they weren't even kids, they were young adults. I warned them about overpriced gayman headsets and said "You can get a better and more reliable pair of headphones and a mic for much cheaper", but they didn't listen and kept insisting that Gaming headsets were the better thing.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.