[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Games you initially thought were going to be bad but enjoyed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: FF4DS_NTSC_front.jpg (29KB, 256x228px) Image search: [Google]
FF4DS_NTSC_front.jpg
29KB, 256x228px
ITT: Games you initially thought were going to be bad but enjoyed a lot and glad you tried out.

I thought the weird ass chibi look was unfitting and that the game was gonna be dumbed down to pander to wider audiences, but I'm glad that I tried this out anyway. Love it and still play it. About to fight Rubicante.
>>
>>3842094
What
>>
>>3842094
...are you stupid or something?

>>3842071
Pretty sure this isn't retro but I agree with you, the DS port is pretty damn great. Ff4 was always my favorite so I might be biased but I really like what they did with it.
>>
>>3842096
It's just the raw stupidity of you thinking that's actually a thing.
>>
>>3842094
>you cannot prove otherwise btw
>you cannot disprove a subjective opinion
>>>/v/
>>
>>3842103
My favorite was FF8 purely because it was the first one I played back when I was like 9. I only ever picked up the DS FFIV because Projared said it was great and he's also an avid FF fan, so I decided to and I'm glad I did.

Yeah in hindsight, this probbaly isn't a "retro" thread by basing off of FF4...

>>3842094
Are you autistic? I said that I THOUGHT the game would be dumbed down. I turned up speed and turned on the active battle so I get my shit pushed in but I still have fun.
>>
>>3842071
I've never played final fantasy before (never wanted to play a jrpg until now), is this a good first final fantasy game for a noob?
>>
>>3842202
Yes it's quite accessible for new players while still providing a bit of a challenge.
>>
>>3842104
yo learn english
>>
>>3842202
It's simple to learn to be honest.

You can change the speed of battle (timing between each move you can make). For beginners, I'd recommend leaving it in passive mode instead of active. This means that the loading pauses when moves are done, giving you more time to act.

Bosses reach have their own special attributes you need to figure out before beating them. Some are more annoying than others but it's all fair. Minor grinding needed.

Story is tippy top notch too.
>>
>>3842094
What the fuck is wrong with you?

>>3842202
I'd strongly suggest going for the PSP version. The DS version is the better version, but it's also very hard compared to all other versions of the game. That being said, I'd also say a better FF to start with is VI or IX. IV is kinda weak in my opinion.
>>
>>3842071
it's hard to go back to the original SNES game after playing it
>>
>>3842104
You forgot to delete this one too
>>
File: Monster World IV.jpg (255KB, 800x1127px) Image search: [Google]
Monster World IV.jpg
255KB, 800x1127px
I didn't like the Wonder Boy series until I played Monster World IV. This is one of my favorite games of all time.
>>
>>3842094

Hey what did I miss, seems like this post was too harsh even for 4chan's standards.
>>
>>3843469
Nah, anon just sperged out and made an ass of himself, showing he didn't read the OP or didn't understand it. Not harsh, just dumb.
>>
>>3843446
>MWIV
Mein Neger
>>
>>3843469
I called a faggot out on his "dummed down gaems" bogeyman and the mod decided to censor opinions directed at his boyfriend
>>
>>3842071

the DS version of IV is a completely different game. more than a remake = not retro faggot.
>>
>>3843469

probably nothing, the /vr/ janny has been on a mad tear the past few days, deleting comments that have absolutely NO business being deleted.
>>
File: Legend of Dragoon (2).jpg (389KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Legend of Dragoon (2).jpg
389KB, 1600x1200px
>>3842071
Whenever people talk about this game it's only to shit on it but I actually kinda like it. In terms of JRPGs I played I'd rank it alongside FF9 but for polar opposite reasons; both succeed where the other fails i.e LoD had good gameplay but bad story, while FF9 had bad gameplay but good story.

>>3842202
Play the PSP version instead. The DS remake is more pitched towards hardcore veteran fans of the game/series.
>>
>>3844261
LoD was okay. The only thing I didn't enjoy about it was soulless localization.
Everyone sounded like fucking robots.
>>
>>3844264
Indeed, it makes FF7's "this guy are sick" localization look masterful.
>>
>>3842202
PSP version for beginners to the series (or JRPGs/RPGs in general).

Once you mastered it, head to the DS version where the difficulty ramps up especially if you put it in active mode.
>>
>>3844261
Why does Dart have the face of a Ken doll?
>>
>>3844398
Nah, get it on PC. DS version is a sub-240p alias-ridden mess with battles running at 15fps.
>>
>>3845761
Also I should mention the audio quality is MUCH better on Android/PC.
>>
>>3845750
JRPG protags in general are femmy looking.
>>
>>3845761
Just emulate it, and DS version is harder than the other versions. Also 15fps in a turn based game isn't exactly that bad.

Also, the only framerate drops I noticed are when Rosa uses Pray on a 5-person party.
>>
>>3846249
>emulate
If you want worse visual and audio quality, sure. Otherwise you're better off just pirating the PC version.

>harder
No, the PC and Android versions are based off the DS version. They are in no way easier.

>isn't exactly that bad
But it's still bad, thus being a con. One more reason to avoid the DS version.
>>
>>3846654
emulate the PSP version with 10x internal resolution

PSP version reigns supreme, how can people even considerate the DS version baffles me
>>
>>3846667
I like the PSP version when I want a quick, easy playthrough. But it's piss-fucking-easy, just like the GBA and US SNES versions.

>10x internal resolution
What would increasing the internal resolution do for a 2D game? Cheeky sod.
>>
File: Dart_portrait.png (37KB, 135x154px) Image search: [Google]
Dart_portrait.png
37KB, 135x154px
>>3844261
>>3845750
He looks different in his portrait
>>
>>3846669
Game was easy until i reached ultra turbo giga bahamut black edition and had to remember how to actually play the game

10x does make it look better, mostly spells and shit
>>
>>3846667
PSP looks better but DS is just more challenging. I play it on my 3DS (still have the DS cartridge nut no DS).
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.