[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was never much into fighting games, but I'm looking to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: KillerInstinctSNESBoxjpg.jpg (262KB, 1500x1096px) Image search: [Google]
KillerInstinctSNESBoxjpg.jpg
262KB, 1500x1096px
I was never much into fighting games, but I'm looking to change that.

Would pic related be a good start? I like Rare.
>>
Start with the gold standard of Street Fighter II, though KI would be a fine secondary title to jump to after that.
>>
>>3840290
KI is one of the stranger franchises out there. I wouldn't recommend it until you've gotten the hang of other 2D games like Street Fighter II or KOF '98. It nearly all comes down to being able to utilise extensive combos, and you'll find it pretty frustrating at first compared to a lot of other 2D fighters.
>>
>>3840290
The arcade version was fun. The game itself is a jugglefest.
>>
try the following
>bushido blade 2
>bloody roar 2
>street fighter 3rd strike/alpha 3
>gundam seed - battle assault
>tekken 3
>dead or alive (5 was a masterpiece but any will do to introduce you)
>kof 98 (obligatory)
>darkstalkers 3
if you want to try some of these with fightcade for online play
>>
>>3840290
It's a decent game, not outstanding though. KI is like Mortal Kombat, except with Street Fighter controls (which is far more intuitive).

If you want to start from something, I'd suggest to at least try Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition/Turbo, then Super Turbo. Learn how to perform the quarter circle moves, cancel normals, etc. This scheme is uniform to 90% of 2D fighters.
Then you have the following choices, in order from fun to more serious:
—Marvel VS Capcom series
—Darkstalkers series
—Street Fighter Alpha 3
—Garou: Mark of the Wolves
—KoF'98/2002
—Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
You can also try Guilty Gear and other games by ArcSys, but it can be hit-or-miss and have edgy 2000s anime vibe.
Now when it comes to 3D, it's even more obvious. Definitely try Virtua Fighter 2 and Tekken 3. Also maybe Soul series, they're fun and you can do a lot with mashing.
If you didn't like any of it, congratulations. Enjoy your life as a Smash Bros fag.
>>
>>3841025
>KI is like Mortal Kombat, except with Street Fighter controls

So it's not like MK at all.
>>
>>3841038
It has a similar combo system, something like chain combos. They're still pretty different, I agree, but it does have somewhat similar feel.
>>
Killer instinct might turn you away from fighting games completely.

The ONLY two things that stand out about KI is graphics, combos and Orchid's tits.

If you don't care about doing ultra combo's then go for it, but if you care about doing the ultra combos then prepare for frustration, because fucking up your timing at any point during the combo will lead to you not getting the ultra, especially sucks to not finish off a person without that ultra combo.

With MK combo system each button is move and you have more freedom to combine them as you want. Killer instincts are almost "pre-designed" if I remember correctly and they go a certain way or you won't do them. You got to memorize the shit. That's how I remember it.
>>
>>3840425
>guy wants a fighting game to start with
>3rd Strike
>Alpha 3
Umm, no. I'd dial it back to Alpha 2.
>>
>>3841361
Yeah just get custom combo'ed to death, that will teach him.
>>
>>3840290
My fav fighting game. ULTRA COMMMBBBOOO! Orchid was boss and very well animated!
>>
>>3840406
Yes extensive combos is the most amazing thing about this game. Snes/arcade. The sequels are very shitty!
>>
>>3840425
Bl2 was awesome as is sf3 and dead or alive.kof is great each version grows upon the first. Never played darkstalker,but i will now!
>>
>>3840290

No, it's a great fighting game, but it would be a bad choice for a first. It relies too much on special moves to do damage and link combos.

Smash Bros. is a good fighting series for newbies.
I'd also recommend Marvel v. Capcom 2 and Super Street Fighter 2.
>>
>>3840290
Dude, soul caliber 1-2, teken 2-3.
>>
>>3841038
It has that pervasive VIOLENCE 'N GORE 'N MATURE SOFTS FOR ADULT MEN atmosphere that all shit Western devs hamfistedly imposed on their games in the '90s. It's also incredibly British.
>>
>>3841375
Smash bros is barely a fighting game. Going into more beloved fighting games from smash is an utter shame. I love smash, dont get me wrong, but i would never compare it to "actual" fighting games! Combos have been key before smash was a thing. You need to go into fighting games knowing you will lose, they are nothing like smash bros(but technically smash is a fighting game) eache character has specific combos, usually only pertaining to that character. There is overlap, but its hardly a given!
>>
>>3841393
>It's also incredibly British.
Right, MK is nothing like that, it's chinaboo made by americans.
>>
>>3841345
>With MK combo system each button is move and you have more freedom to combine them as you want. Killer instincts are almost "pre-designed" if I remember correctly and they go a certain way or you won't do them. You got to memorize the shit. That's how I remember it.

You had leeway and different ways to do KI's combos. Though you would usually do the few unbreakable ways anyway.
MK1 and 2 combo's were just juggling. MK3 literally had what you just said about KI's,only worse since it was incredibly restrictive.
>>
>>3840290
great start, KI was the best fighting game at the time no doubt.
>>
In my opinion fighting games are about the people you play with, and the skills you learn. If your friends are into fighting games, play the game they play. Competition will drive you to get better, and having common ground with people is enjoyable.

If not, then consider Street fighter 2 Hd remix as a good place to start. It has classic and modernized versions of street fighter 2 Super Turbo. The king of fighters series is under-rated. If you want to emulate a game then Capcom verse SNK 2 has great levels and super solid gameplay. I never played killer instinct, but if you enjoy it then play it.

If you want to quickly learn a bit and improve your game as well, read the following website. Everything on sonic hurricane is golden, and will provided valuable information in every fighting game ever made, as well as many non fighting games that involve real time combat.

http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

In highschool i started a super smash brothers brawl club and we had tournaments, which i consistently got either first or second in out of 8-10 people. The information about street figher, improved my ability to play super smash brothers. Today i play league of legends, and the things i learned from fighting games has helped me.

To wrap it up, good luck mate, fighting games are a journey, and i wish you the best.
>>
>>3840290
Evil zone ps1 was fun
>>
>>3840290
if you actually want to get into fighting games, get some fightcade roms from fightanvidya and hop into any room that has people playing.
if you really just want to get into mashing buttons on super nintendo by yourself against the computer, i recommend the sailor moon fighting games or tmnt tournament fighters.
>>
>>3840290
play the arcade version
>>
>>3841770
It's way more glitchy and unbalanced than the SNES version.
>>
>>3841615
My esteemed personage of Nubian descent!
>>
>>3841549
It's a good game, but it gets stale after a while. It has absolutely no throws. Every character jumps the same way. Every character has very similar tools, like DP/fireball/charging move, with very little deviation from standard; normals are also very similar, little interesting stuff like slides/etc. Every combo works almost the same way, mostly mashing plus a little bit of directional inputs. It's fun to look at them for some time, then you get sick of it.
I am not saying it's not good. It is, for a while, and it controls well, unlike MK. But it's a very, very watered down game compared to SF2 or even MK. The variety just isn't there.
>>
>>3840290
new killer instinct is better
>>
>>3840290
Start with Mortal Kombat 2. It's still the best fighting game ever made.
>>
File: you.gif (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
you.gif
3MB, 800x450px
>>3845136
>MK
>Best of anything
>>
Crap port of a crap game. If you're looking for a SNES fighter go with Super Street Fighter II, SFII Turbo, or Alpha 2. Or Saturday Night Slam Masters.
>>
>>3845149
Hot opinion

>crap port
Only in graphics and sound, gameplay was actually better than the arcade.
>>
>>3845161
>gameplay was actually better than the arcade.
Interesting. How so?
>>
>>3845192
KI arcade was released in 1994, the SNES port in 95. They had time to tweak the gameplay and balance it out.

There's a bunch of infinites that broke the game in the original, but were fixed on the SNES port.
>>
>>3840290

No....
GOD NO.

KI is hot trash compared to everything else objectively. The only thing it has going for it is meme announcer.
>>
>>3845625
>compared to everything else

Maybe japanese games, KI is the best western-developed fighting game.
>>
>>3840290
No original KI is a janky mess

Get Fightcade
https://www.fightcade.com/

Pick a game from the list and give it a go, if you like the feel of it try playing it against other people, if you dont like it nothing wasted.
>>
>>3845630
KI was still worse than MK at the time
if you're talking about current games, skullgirls is better but they're all trash
>>
>>3845827
>KI was still worse than MK at the time

No, gameplay-wise, it seriously wasn't.
And soundtrack-wise, it also wasn't.

The only thing MK did better was the fatalities, but even MK copied KI with the Brutality (ULTRA COMBOOOOOO)
>>
to be perfectly honest I always felt like the control set up for Mortal Kombat was retarded and then it was reinforced when I played Killer Instinct

I essentially felt like I was playing a more fun Mortal Kombat.I still like Mortal Kombat's characters better but yeah, KI just controls and feels nicer overall.
>>
>>3846527
Basically this.
KI does have its flaws (see >>3841972), but at least its controls were logical, like in SF, and it feels so much smoother (even on SNES). MK always felt so clunky to me, and the move and combo inputs just feel random and make no sense.
>>
File: 1465217922167.jpg (92KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1465217922167.jpg
92KB, 800x600px
>>3840290
>Would pic related be a good start? I like Rare

I don't care much for fighting games myself, but I did enjoy Bushido Blade. Rather than having to remember a bunch of inputs for various character combos, you just impale your opponent and they die immediately. No health gauges or any of that nonsense.

You do have to pay attention to your opponent's fighting stance, though. It's a kind of rock-paper-scissors ordeal. Certain stances will let you block certain maneuvers, or at least walk away with a broken limb instead of being killed outright.

The sequel was equally as good, if not more so.
>>
>>3841590

Fuck off with your weeb degeneracy
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.