[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Decided to play through the Zelda series from the first, though

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

Decided to play through the Zelda series from the first, though I've heard some shit about the second game, is it worth playing?

Black sheep in the series, or underappreciated?
>>
>>3838897
of course it's worth playing

it's a fun game with a decent amount of challenge

very good combat
>>
>>3838897
Underappreciated, my favorite NES game of all time desu.
>>
>>3838897

Both. Just try it, how are we supposed to know if you like it. It's 2D and has xp, it will be different.

Play until you get to the other continent with the raft. Should take an hour most, if you don't like it till then then stop playing
>>
>>3838897
It's my favorite game in the series, and a great game in general. It's definitely worth playing. The hate Zelda 2 receives is a relatively recent phenomenon, and I'm not really sure what started it.
>>
So is there any way to heal up other than just bothering the townsfolk in the villages I come across?
>>
>>3838923
>The hate Zelda 2 receives is a relatively recent phenomenon, and I'm not really sure what started it.

You're young and have been on the internet for a short time.
>>
>>3838923

I like it too, had it since it came out. But the hate was always there, maybe it just got a bigger voice because of the internet
>>
>>3838923

They changed the formula a lot from the 1st one, of course it was hated since day one. Just look at SMB2.

On topic though, it's a fun game if you aren't emotionally invested in your idea of what the Zelda series is.
>>
>>3838956
I too enjoy pretending to have psychic powers.

>>3838964
Every game receives some hate. However, Zelda 2 was extremely successful financially and generally received very positive reviews. The idea that it's some awful game that should be avoided did not become common until much later.
>>
it's a good game that deserves atleast 1 full playthrough
>>
>>3838941
magic, faeries, leveling up
>>
>>3839000
I remember both SMB2 and Zelda II being well-received when they came out and didn't really hear anything negative about them until years later.
>>
>>3839321
I played the damn thing through twice and it just about killed me. A beautiful game, but even it pales to LTTP.
>>
>>3839358
when you got older and actually had access to other people's opinions?
where did you think you would read criticism of a first party nintendo game back then? Nintendo Powerâ„¢?
>>
>>3838897
AoL is the Dark Souls of the Zelda series.
>>
>>3839383
lttp is objectively a much better game but i love the world building in zelda 2, i wish more of it survived into the later games
>>
>>3839275
e-celebs probably didn't help either
>what a shitload of fuck

people like to have repetition, and it got more obvious it deranged from the franchise the more games came out
>>
Zelda 2 has aged a lot better than the original Zelda tbhwy
>>
>>3838897
Adventure of Link is to classic Zelda as Majora's Mask is to OOT.

Great in it's own right. But it tried something different. Which, for some was annoying as fuck. For others, awesome to the max.

Personally, these two games are of the "grow on you" type. As when I was a child, I wasn't too fond of these games. But as I get older, I appreciate what they are, and what they tried to do, more and more.
>>
>>3838897
It's different. It's more of it's own thing than any of the other games in the franchise so it's really a matter of perceptive. That and it's a little challenging, sometime unnecessarily. But over all if you can push yourself through the beginning it's decent, definitely above average. Definitely a unique title either way.
>>
>>3838897
It's like being kicked in the nuts over and over but eventually you love it.
>>
>>3839772
Tbqh avgn liked to take a shit on other great games. I actually really like street fighter 2010 the final fight.

I still think his satire is meh but it worked also definitely pandering towards the younger gen of vidya players.
>>
>>3841153
He does this a lot. I'm the same age as he is and had a huge video game collection as a kid.

I rarely had issues landing the plane in Top Gun, liked Dick Tracy and Who Framed Roger Rabbit games as well.

Zelda II is a great game. It was a little irritating when I was a kid because the first game was a phenomenon. The 2nd game got delayed once, maybe twice and when it finally came out it was different. Everyone still played the hell out of it but I think everyone was expecting something a little more like the first.
>>
ITT: Hipster contarian gobshites.

More concerned with disagreeing with AVGN for /vr/ points than they are with critically appraising the game and realising that it really is shite.
>>
>>3839772
>>3841153
>>3841164
>>3841180
The irony is that AVGN never shat on Zelda 2 and instead defended the game.
>>
>>3841232
The irony is you watch AVGN. Neck yourself bruv.
>>
>>3838897
AFAIK the only hate it really gets is because upon dying you have to repeat a lot of shit.

but it's fucking zelda so it's not super hard, and you can just use save states if you get to a part difficult for you.
>>
>>3838897
Sleeping beauty knock off. What the fuck was Nintendon't thinking?
>>
>>3838897
It's the best Zelda bro
>>
>>3838897
High quality game that had the misfortune of being sandwiched between two superior games.
>>
>>3838897
It will take time to get good at the combat but it's worth it. It's fun if you appreciate a challenge.
>>
>>3841245
The irony is that you keep disagreeing even when you know you're wrong
>>
>>3838897

The game isn't bad. In fact, it's great. It just diverges from the original so much that die-hard fans of LoZ1 refused to tolerate it.

It was a good design principle in theory: Challenge LoZ veterans by producing a sequel that involves a totally different perspective of gameplay. We had already mastered overhead labyrinths and block puzzles, so what else could Nintendo have done to ensure we got out money's worth with Zelda II?
>>
What I love about this game is that the dungeons really feel like dungeons: really old structures of great significance. More than any other Zelda, in Zelda 2 I feel like the world has a historical presence.
>>
>>3847392
>What I love about this game is that the dungeons really feel like dungeons: hallways and elevators.
>>
>>3847375
>die-hard fans of LoZ1 refused to tolerate it
i don't really remember that being the case, but i knew very few people who had played both games back then. are there newsgroup posts on the subject i can go back and read?

>>3847392
>I feel like the world has a historical presence.
same, i think the world feels "old" unlike any of the other zelda games i've played. like all the architecture is in disrepair and there's a graveyard the size of a fucking continent. i want more zelda 2 hyrule.
>>
>>3847406
>i don't really remember that being the case

I meant that from a post-second generation point of view. Zelda II sold incredibly well, but in retrospect, a lot of people who grew up in that generation still dismiss Zelda II as the black sheep of the series.
>>
I was in 5th grade when I got link and I loved it. People hated it from the beginning. It was different and much harder combat wise. Almost everybody I know that revisited it at an older age really enjoyed it. Wind waker seems to be in that same boat, people shit on it and when the HD remake came out they changed their tune.
>>
>>3841256
>not super hard
I'm not even halfway through the game and there are single enemies that give me a harder time than a room full of enemies in Zelda 1. It's a whole different beast.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.