[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Nintendo manage to make a CGI-inspired 2D game uglier

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: yoshi-story.jpg (83KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi-story.jpg
83KB, 960x720px
How did Nintendo manage to make a CGI-inspired 2D game uglier than Donkey Kong Country with 50 times the hardware power and 3 times the ROM space?

Also what the fuck is with the gameplay?

Was this farmed out to the interns? The ones that would later make Skyward Sword?
>>
And the annoying Yoshi's voice. Don't forget that fucking voice.
>>
>>3837827
> CGI-inspired

U Wot
>>
The game is crap not because of the graphics, it's crap because of the concept, the gameplay and the level design.

We all know the game is downright unplayable if you just collect any fruit since you finish the level like one third into the level because there are so many fucking fruits.

Recently I tried the recommended melon only run and gave up in the first level because Yoshi's ability to detect secrets with his nose ruined the entire game. You seriously need to use this ability in the entire level to find all melons, you need to press the button go a few steps and wait to see Yoshi's reaction and this the entire level. This is when the melon only run died for me.

So how are you supposed to play the game to have fun? There is no way. Even if you go trough the entire level before finishing it it isn't much fun.
>>
File: yoshis-island_world-8.gif (2MB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
yoshis-island_world-8.gif
2MB, 256x224px
>>3837872
I don't think is really that bad a game; it's just it's so depressingly underwhelming in comparison to Yoshi's Island
>>
>>3837875
I think Yoshi's Story is a bad game and Yoshi's Island is a good game but really overrated.
>>
What? it looks great.
Gameplay is good too.

The problem is the concept and design.
>>
>Production Meeting in Kusoge, Japan
>"Miyamoto san, many Amelicans did not rike baby Mario voice in Yoshi's Isrand."
>Miyamoto: "Amelicans no rike baby voice on Mario? Me have super idea #1! We get rid of Mario for sequel!"
>"That is very divine and inspired idea Miyam-"
>Miyamoto: "And we give baby voice to Yoshi!"
>"..."
>Miyamoto: "Also make game super easy and with only 16 levels! We have surefire best seller! Beat playstation demon with much haste!"
>>
Embyro here.

I was a kid when this came out (i.e. the target demographic) and I loved this shit.

Still do.
>>
>>3838359
I don't think Miyahon was involved in Story. Maybe as some sort of supervisor or something? But the producer was Tezuka.
The baby Yoshi voice can be attributed to Kazumi Totaka. I think it actually works in this game, it's cute, the different voice effects depending on yoshi's mood are cool, and it also fits with the story because the Yoshi in this game are babies, not adult ones. But it can get irritating for people who can't stand cute.
And the game has a total of 24 levels. The amount is... okay, not as many levels but they're rather large levels with man different sections or sub-levels each, so it works. The big problem is having to unlock like 75% of them.

Also I don't think Nintendo expected Yoshi's Story to be a best seller. It was the time when they were focusing on 3D.
IIRC Yoshi's Story actually had decent sales and reception in Japan.
>>
>>3838375
Still pretty low compared to Yoshi's Islands 6 worlds with 9 levels each (54 total).

Though on the flip side, I THINK all of Yoshi's Story's levels were unique? No reused assets? Or am I way off?
>>
File: yoshistoryNeuronjungle.png (43KB, 320x237px) Image search: [Google]
yoshistoryNeuronjungle.png
43KB, 320x237px
>>3838443
Some levels share some of the assets, but most of the time it's all new assets and different themes.
>>
>2d sidescroller
>No d-pad support

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
>>
File: yoshi designs.png (245KB, 653x521px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi designs.png
245KB, 653x521px
>>3838375
Oh no, it's not cute. And I love cute.
But Yoshi's isn't cute, he was cute in Yoshi's Island. Then he was flanderized to the max since Yoshi's Story, from the cool dinosaur bro from SMW to the massive insuferable faggot from modern games that doesn't even resemble a dinosaur anymore.
>SMW
Cool smug dinosaur bro. He is cuter than the villains, but he is a fucking dinosaur and will kick Koopa's butt

>SMW2
The dinosaur bro is now cuter, of course, as he is babysitting baby Mario. Nice for a change, looks good, stylish.

>YS
No more dinosaur bro, Yoshi's is now an annoying baby.

>modern games
HAHA

>future games
Yoshi's now just a giant spherical nose shitting smelly eggs. Every single game sound is a fart or some baby voice.

Who likes modern Yoshi? I wanted to befriend original Yoshi, while I want to shoot modern Yoshi, but who wants to befriend modern Yoshi? Not even kids. Kids like what's cool, kids liked Sonic, kids liked dinosaurs.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.