[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, given that you only want to talk about your childhood, tell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Ok, given that you only want to talk about your childhood, tell me how did you react to the transition between snes and n64.
I'm specially interested in the opinion of people who enjoy RPGs
>>
>>3833426
I thought it was cool and enjoyed playing new games.
>>
>>3833426
>Zelda
>RPG
Pick one

Anyway I was super stoked about the N64. I was basically like those two kids from that internet video when I unwrapped mine on Christmas morning. Seeing Mario in 3D for the first time was pure fucking magic.

That said, I still continued to buy SNES games. I particularly remember getting Earthworm Jim 2, Bomberman 2, and Super Empire Strikes Back on the cheap from retail store. Around that time I started getting into game trading on this site called UGTZ (used game trading zone) where I would trade old NES, SNES, Game Boy, and N64 games for other games.

Though I have to admit that I was an RPG fan and not having any on the N64 sucked. I wanted to play Final Fantasy 7 SO FUCKING BADLY that I swallowed my Nintendo fanboy pride and bought a used PS1 (Which came with Wipeout 3) from that site I mentioned. I reckon from that point on I was a dual-system guy, which continued onto 6th gen by getting both a Gamecube and PS2.
>>
N64 magazine was so based.

I still have the very 1st issue with the N64 promo VHS

Happier times
>>
>>3833426
I was 11 when the N64 dropped, and I was psyched. Mario 64 was mind-blowing. People can talk like it's a meme, but there was literally nothing like it at the time. Folks look back now and complain about the lack of games, but that was never an issue to me and my friends, since we were still just kids, it's not like we went out and bought games ourselves faster than they could make them. I didn't consider my family poor back then, but I often went at least 4 or 5 months between getting new video games until I had my first job and could buy shit for myself. As a kid, I also spent WAY more time exploring games and getting the most out of them (mostly because I had the spare time to spend), and N64 games just begged to be explored.

I still played my SNES, though. I remember taking advantage of snapping up cheap games from flea markets, still sealed. (I feel like they were stolen off the trucks for retail stores or something). I recall using my SNES quite a bit, even into the Gamecube era. I actually played ALttP for the first time AFTER Ocarina of Time. To me, the two systems very much existed side-by-side, and offered two very different gameplay experiences.

I wasn't a fan of RPGs (Mario RPG was my first. I rented it without knowing what "RPG" meant, and was very disappointed) so that never really affected me, but even my close friend who was a super RPG fag didn't really mind that the N64 didn't have anything. He was too busy playing everything else.
>>
Considering the N64 has a grand total of about 4 RPGs it was more of a transition to Playstation.
>>
>>3833523
I never understood why people act all autistic about Zelda being classified as an RPG. I know Nintendo never marketed it as one, but it has a few basic elements common to the genre. The only objection is that your HP is represented by hearts instead of numbers. Big fucking whoop.

>>3833620
This for me. PS1 was already getting plenty of third-party support. Knowing that Square would be making FF7 for the PS1 was the last straw. I did get the Saturn and N64 eventually, but PS1 was my primary gaming console that generation.
>>
>>3833656
RPGs have XPs. The only Zelda game you can grind is 2.
>>
>>3833426
>tell me how did you react to the transition between snes and n64.
>I'm specially interested in the opinion of people who enjoy RPGs

I basically dropped consoles and ascended to PC.
>>
>>3833656
>Knowing that Square would be making FF7 for the PS1 was the last straw
JRPGs are shit. Big fucking deal if they didn't show up.

Yamauchi was right about everything. He is a demon king after all.
>>
>>3833656
>I never understood why people act all autistic about Zelda being classified as an RPG. I know Nintendo never marketed it as one, but it has a few basic elements common to the genre. The only objection is that your HP is represented by hearts instead of numbers. Big fucking whoop.

It has almost nothing to do with RPGs.

>real-time action combat
>platforming and puzzle-solving focus
>no stat progression of any kind
>no character customization of any kind
>no way to influence the story in any way

There are some minor RPG-like elements in the series, like being able to get new gear and take on side-quests by talking to NPCs, and maybe "leveling-up" your hearts when you kill a boss and get heart-pieces. That's really it.

It's an action-adventure game in every sense of the world, not an RPG at all.
>>
>>3833426
That was your mag?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.