[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mother/Earthbound thread We can all now be safe knowing Mot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

File: c.png (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
c.png
38KB, 400x400px
Mother/Earthbound thread

We can all now be safe knowing Mother/Earthbound's unique legacy won't be tarnished.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mother4/comments/5wzfjk/todays_announcement/

>So, this project started a long time ago and leadership has changed hands a number of times, has been worked on by different groups and over time it has grown from a Mother 3 imitation to something more original. It changed multiple times, and today we’re announcing one more big change.

>Yes, we are rebranding. That probably raises some questions, like...

Q: Have you been hit by a DMCA?
A: No! We haven't. This change is one part preventative measure, following several large fan project takedowns, and two parts acknowledging what we've actually been making - and what we've been making is a celebration of the games that meant a lot to us growing up, something familiar but also different. The game has grown up with us. We want to share that.

Q: What's going to change?
A: Most things will stay the same! This is still the story of Travis and his friends fighting the mysterious Modern Men. Leo still lights his smokes with paranormal fire. However, if something is associated with the official Mother games, it won't be in this one. Mr. Saturn? Bon voyage, amigo. The title will also be changing.

Q: Are you selling out?
A: This game is and always will be free.
>>
>They finally got rid of the Mother 4 name
Cool.
>They're dropping the Mother property from the game altogether
Well all the power to them I guess.
>>
>>3833257
Thank God. These faggots had the fucking gall to call it Mother 4. Hope they fade to obscurity, or better kill their down syndrome brainchild before it's born.
>>
>>3833280
I don't know why people here are so against this game, in japan fangames of existing franchises are always received with open arms, be it a parody or a legit attempt to reproduce a official one.

I think it's a bit biased to hate it just because it doesn't has the Itoi brand in it, from the looks I really feel like they are in the right track with this game, just playing the release to know if it will be "Mother" or not, but I have relatively good expectations.
>>
File: 1487935891359.jpg (18KB, 252x233px) Image search: [Google]
1487935891359.jpg
18KB, 252x233px
>>3833453
Because 4chan is full of autistic basement dwellers who fucking hate everything because it's beneath them.
>>
>>3833461
and because the Mother franchise is a sacred cow
>>
This fangame is not retro.
>>
>>3833453
First, the EB fanbase is cancerous as hell. Judge a tree by its fruit. People hate EB because of the autists and manchildren who surround it.
Second, I'd simply disregard Mother 4 and forget it, if it wasn't for its name. Stop making a strawman out of it, it's not the "Itoi brand". You have to be extremely, ridiculously arrogant to pose your game as the direct successor of Mother series. You're not even pro devs, let alone tied to Nintendo or Itoi in any way, OK?
Third, you mention Japan? Well, it's fitting to remember Yume Nikki, a game inspired by Mother. INSPIRED, not literally a carbon copy of it. It's not called Mother 5 too. Japan has different standards, but even then I doubt they would see "Mother 4" as acceptable. That name is plain riding off the fame of the IP, a laughable pretense to being as good from no-name, no-skill indie devs.
All in all, if it was called, I dunno, Plastic UFO Band: One After 1101, I simply wouldn't care, let them make whatever they want. If they had good artists and devs with ideas onboard, I'd maybe check it out. But as it was, it was just a ridiculous show-off.
>>
>>3833491
True, but it's Mother/EB thread. It's a good news Mother series' name will not be further contaminated by these shits. Maybe after several decades under a radiation-proof sarcophagus, we will finally be able to talk about good points of EB series.
>>
>>3833476
This, but unironically. Undertale/LISA are the same.
>>
>>3833513
I still want to play Undertale sometime.
>>
>>3833476
the first game was good and the "le quirky humour!" didn't take precedent over the story

and mother 2 was still pretty good despite that

mother 3 was shit though I'll hand you that
>>
>>3833257
>Q: Are you selling out?
>A: This game is and always will be free.

fucking mong obviously has no idea what "selling out" means.
>>
>>3833476
How did you get this picture of me?
>>
>>3833574
> "Selling out" is a common idiomatic pejorative expression for the compromising of a person's integrity, morality, authenticity, or principles in exchange for personal gain, such as money.
>>
>>3833453
>in japan fangames of existing franchises are always received with open arms, be it a parody or a legit attempt to reproduce a official one.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/2/12770344/nintendo-slaps-metroid-2-remake-and-500-plus-fangames-with-takedown-orders
>>
File: 1487905821022.png (116KB, 430x324px) Image search: [Google]
1487905821022.png
116KB, 430x324px
>>3833593
Presumably he didn't mean by license holders but by fans.
>>
Wow, who didn't see this coming? May as well have it an excuse to delay the game again.
>>
>>3833496
The game will not be named "Mother 4" anymore, so all this wall of text is invalid.
>>
>>3833643
What if it's called Motherless?
>>
>>3833643
He asked why people are against this game, I said exactly why I WAS against it. Now I simply don't care, but I'd rather that they don't make it. Because one of my points didn't change, they're still no name god knows who devs who only have manchild autism and not much more to bring to the table.
>>3833652
Step-Aunt
>>
>>3833257
>why are you keeping it free even after the rebranding? You guys totally deserve something in return for all this :-/

>Will there be a way we can donate after the game is out?

>Have you thought about at least offering a pay-what-you-want option? I'm sure I'm not the only one that will feel uncomfortable playing this for free.

Jesus fucking H, plebbit is pure unadulterated cancer.
>>
>>3833257
>can't_tarnish_a_legacy_if_you_don't_have_one.rollsafe.jpg
>>
>>3833750
>implying
>>
>>3833747

i wonder were all those people who give free money on the internet to other people live. Killing them would be more helpful than killing niggers and terrorists.
>>
File: 1487372495249.gif (2MB, 291x244px) Image search: [Google]
1487372495249.gif
2MB, 291x244px
>>3833747
>>3833765
Back in your holes boys
>>
>>3833257
Earthbound sucks imo
>>
File: 1488364368117.jpg (107KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488364368117.jpg
107KB, 1920x1080px
>>3835576
>>
It's unfortunate that Earthbound/Mother series has been so inextricably linked with hipsters and reddit and tumblr and all the other things the epic trueblood 4chan person is supposed to hate. I'd like to talk about the games sometimes but when every thread gets hatefucked into oblivion with the same meme words every time, it's not likely.

This name change was a long time coming though, for all the "pretension" that people complain about, idealizing your fan work as a true successor is pretty cut and dry pretentious.
>>
>>3833257

That's fine. Now people can stop being so hilariously assmad over "MUH TITLE MUH LEGACY HOW FUCKING DARE THEY CALL IT MOTHER 4 HOW FUCKING DARE THEM BAWWWWWWWWWWW" and just enjoy a neat-looking rpg.
>>
>>3833496

>yume nikki
>inspired by EB

What kind of stupid fucking shit are you spouting? This post might be a day old, and that might be obvious bait, but shut the fuck up retard you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
File: EarthboundD.jpg (112KB, 641x482px) Image search: [Google]
EarthboundD.jpg
112KB, 641x482px
>>3837173
You must have some mental disorder if you can't see that.
>>
File: adventure.png (281KB, 500x399px) Image search: [Google]
adventure.png
281KB, 500x399px
>>3837173
It literally has an entire section dedicated to mother you chucklefuck, see >>3837294

Anyway I never got the autism over the title. Assuming it releases then one of two things happen. Either it turns out shitty or just mediocre and is forgotten and meaningless to the actual series being a fan game or it's actually good and becomes a nice "what if" by some fans.
>>
>>3835640
>there will never be a live-studio-audience sitcom as good as Frasier ever again
>>
>>3833524
It's a decent game, it just attracted a fuckawful fanbade that jerks it off way too hard. Kind of like Earthbound, funnily enough.
>>
>>3837173
>the average /vr/ poster has an IQ of ~70
>>
Anyone who can't accept that we might have both "le hipster retro vidja" AND "just a big fan of Mother" type people in this world, is seriously suffering from autistic thinking.

I hate the hipsters too, but why does /vr/ get so perpetually baited over the topic? Every fucking time. You shitters.

If you see a retro Earthbound hipster, by all means call him out. Else your job is to call the trolls with an obligatory (you). Try to fucking remember this.
>>
>Reddit: The Game
>reddit link in OP

Checks out.
>>
>>3837173
Yume Nikki is directly inspired by both EarthBound and LSD: Dream Emulator and you're an idiot if you think otherwise.
>>
>>3833257
nice
>>
>>3833496
It's also fitting to remember that the fan-made sequel to Yume Nikki is literally a carbon copy of it and is literally called Yume 2kki. So yes, it seems to suggest that Japanese fans don't give a shit about that type of thing.
>>
>>3833257
>We can all now be safe knowing Mother/Earthbound's unique legacy won't be tarnished.
I wasn't aware this game was official.
>>
I'd like to play this series. Should I start at Mother 1? I have no idea how the canon/continuity of the series works, so if I can get by just playing EB/M2, I'd like to because I hear M1 had some bothersome design choices.

Playing some EB clones really got me thinking that I should check out what the original was like.
>>
File: eagleland_by_osakaqcvow-d8zvhch.jpg (219KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
eagleland_by_osakaqcvow-d8zvhch.jpg
219KB, 1131x707px
>>3839616
M1 is very good but can be a bit much if you're not used to jrpgs of that era. It's a bit tedious, can be cryptic, and kind of ugly. Though it has a ton of heart and an amazing soundtrack.

You should be fine playing earthbound first. While some things carry over you will understand everything just fine. What's more important is you play EB before mother 3. There it is more then just subtle connections.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I will be glad to help.
>>
>>3839616
Doesn't matter much, just a few references. The games have a VERY archaic UI, so enjoy picking talking and examining from a menu as well as having a permanently full inventory.
>>
>>3840176
>talking from a menu

Wrong, you can talk to characters directly by facing them and pressing A.
You never really played the game, did you?

Also, it's more than just a few references, it's the whole backstory of the main villain of Mother 2. That said, each game in the series can be played individually. It's just better if you play them all and in order of release.
>>
>>3833496
Basically this. This RPG maker garbage has been in dev hell for years now, and has been on the cusp of being "released" several times now. Fan games are great, but there's a way devs present the games that make it cancerous, and these devs thought themselves to be so in-the-know of what makes a Mother game that they want to call it Mother 4, despite knowing fully well that Itoi has stated the story was never meant to pass the Mother 3.

So these "fans" are shitting on the creator of the franchise because they are so autistic that they need to label it as a Mother game and do everything they can to capture the Mother "feel" but will never do so.

Compare this monstrosity to how amazing AM2R ended up. Why do you think the latter got a cease and desist and Mother 4 didn't?
>>
>>3833652
It would most likely involve fapping to videos of teenage girls getting naked on webcams.
>>
Well if it's not Mother anymore I'm not interested.

This was probably their plan all along. They knew no one would care about some random indie game, so they advertised it as a Mother sequel to get people hooked and pulled the old bait and switch on us.
>>
>>3840176
>he didn't figure out he could use the L button to talk to people or interact with ATMs/telephones

Fuck you're stupid.
>>
>>3840209
>Why do you think the latter got a cease and desist and Mother 4 didn't?
probably because one is a remake of an already existing game and the other is something mostly original
>>
>>3841510
>bill your game as a sequel to Nintendo's IP
>"mostly original"

Hilarious
>>
>>3841515
original as in not a remake or a rom hack
>>
>>3841520
That still doesn't protect you from the long dick of Nintendo. I doubt the project ever got their attention.
>>
>>3841526
it got itoi's attention at least
he's aware of it
>>
File: 1488262612063.jpg (55KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
1488262612063.jpg
55KB, 600x597px
>>3841526
Yes, once its realeased the lawsuits will be glorious.

As stated before, it was only supposed to be a series until mother 3. The fact that they are calling it earthbound 4 is a horrible mistake.

I hope nintendo sues for copyright and sells it to nintendo fags on the switch as a shitty rpg maker port!
>>
File: 1459486280817.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1459486280817.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>3837393
I weep. The ignorace is overwhelming. It may not be a longshot to say the big bang theory is as close as it will get!!!
>>
>>3841543
Why do you do this.
>>
>>3841550
Truth, my nigger, truth!
>>
>>3833496
Didn't Itoi say that he has no intention in continuing the series but if someone was to make one they could do so?

If so they are obviously taking him up on his word. He obviously didn't mean in professional sense, but in a fan made project one.
>>
>>3841649
He said something along the lines of not wanting to make a game but play one.
>>
>>3833652
They said the name won't be similar to MOTHER or Earthbound

Also PK is now VOX, go figue
>>
>>3840209
Because AM2R came out? That thing had been in open development for years and only received the C&D when it was released, you retard

Also Schmother Schmour isn't RPG maker, they switched to game maker and then an engine they made themselves in C+
>>
>>3833257
Just forget this game
>>
File: 1488510121858.jpg (18KB, 270x208px) Image search: [Google]
1488510121858.jpg
18KB, 270x208px
>>3841510
>mostly original
>>
>>3841774
>original story, characters, music, engine, and graphics
i'd say so
>>
File: image002.jpg (9KB, 540x53px) Image search: [Google]
image002.jpg
9KB, 540x53px
>>3841715
Nintendo will get a link to this game. Hopefully they sue the shit out of them!
>>
>>3841649
>>3841662
I remember reading about this, but will the game be available in japanese so Itoi can play?
>>
File: 1433048836701.jpg (49KB, 460x452px) Image search: [Google]
1433048836701.jpg
49KB, 460x452px
>>3841781
It's as original as DeviantArt OCs. Literally.
>>
>>3833593
You do realize AM2R (and that bunch of fangames) isn't a japanese fangame, right? The author isn't japanese, the fangame wasn't developed in Japan, and It was takendown by only NoA. NCL has nothing to do this with this.
>>
>>3841507
Yeah, desu, they planned it all 8 years ago.
>>
>there are all kinds of earthbound fangames
>several of them even use earthbound or mother in the title
>4chan doesn't give a shit about those
>only mother 4
d o u b l e s t a n d a r d s
>>
File: GS Mikami smug.png (8KB, 581x666px) Image search: [Google]
GS Mikami smug.png
8KB, 581x666px
>>3845323
>d o u b l e s t a n d a r d s
It's 2017 and gen Z phone posters still think spacing text is cool because it's vaporwave
>>
>>3845992
i've noticed a trend in older people jumping to silly, usually false conclusions
>>
>>3833524
Play it, but never explore the fandom at all. Don't even dip your toes in to the edge of that fucking fandom. It was claimed by the absolute most cancerous parts of Tumblr.

Keep that in mind with Undertale and you're gonna have a rad time.
>>
>>3833453
I think that fangames should be fine, but calling it Mother 4 implies that it's part of the official canon and that Nintendo and the Mother devs have anything to do with it. Nintendo doesn't want that, partly because it infringes on their intellectual property and probably also partly because people might try to hold them liable for certain things.

I mean, if you produce a fan-made Star Wars Episode VIII you can bet you'll have a lawsuit on your hands, too, and it's totally justified.

Also:

>Q: Have you been hit by a DMCA?
>A: No! We haven't.

Yet. For big projects it looks to me that Nintendo waits until they're close to release (like for that Metroid 2 remake, and those big-name Pokémon projects - Uranium and Prism, I think it was).
>>
>>3846001
>gen Z memester got triggered by a Mikami smug post

Like poetry.
>>
>>3846119
Pokemon Prism is still getting made by different people.
http://pokemonprism.com/logs.html
>>
>>3846156
>>3846119
Blessed Reggie fighting fan-made cancer. God's with us
>>
>>3846121
all you did was prove my point
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.