[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

City-Builder Thread Pic related, I just finished Phraroah. Going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

File: LastMission.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
LastMission.png
1MB, 1024x768px
City-Builder Thread

Pic related, I just finished Phraroah. Going to start Cleopatra.

Such a shame the genre died
>>
File: Zeus.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Zeus.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>
File: Caesar.jpg (190KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Caesar.jpg
190KB, 960x720px
>>
somebody tell me i build nice cities
>>
>>3831903
Nice cities
I played the first 2 sim cities
Are pharaoh and cleopatra period versions of sim city?
>>
File: LastMission2.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
LastMission2.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>3831913
Thanks. Yeah, kind of. There was a series of period city building games with very different mechanics from the sim-city games.

I think they may have been the inspiration for factorio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Building_(series)
>>
>>3831903
that first image you posted is a housing block im not a fan of. in fact, i dont get the point of having double roads, and always make my blocks with the housing on the inside. and only one road accessible to them.
the only time i stick to a format, or use a specific block from the internet is when making palatial estates. the desiribility they require is insane. also, really utilizing the "dont buy" options for bazaar helped hugely in stopping common neighbourhoods from buying luxury goods, and then getting huge employment shortages.

i've always loved pharaoh and caesar 3.
i completed pharaoh + cleo for the first time 2 days ago.
if you've not played cleo before, i hope you enjoy it more than i did. too many time limits for my liking, and repeating the same map over and over again. alexandria's a really fun map, but doing it for the 3rd time is kindve boring.
the final mission as well, is absurdly easy i found.
i actually enjoyed original pharaoh alot more. i've been doing a few custom maps since finishing cleo. henet-new is a gooden, that is fairly challenging. but each to their own, hope you like cleo.

does anyone else wind up having to make huge culture blocks at the end of the levels, on missions that require high culture ratings. i always seem to have to build about 10 bandstands meshed together, despite everyone in the city having musician access. its annoying, because everything looks good and runs smoothly other than that.

one of these days i will complete caesar 3, but the lack of roadblocks is a really sore point for me.

i tried zeus but not for long.

i completed emperor last year, and feel pharaoh is a far superior game. i'll give zeus a better shot this week.
>>
>>3831913
No, they're "sequels" to the Caesar games, but set in Egypt, and much more difficult in terms of objectives. While Sim City is more about zone desirability management, the Caesar games (plus Zeus which was also posted) are much more involved with focus on supplying people with food and goods.
>>
>>3831927
I've only played Caesar and some of Pharaoh, how do Zeus and Emperor hold up?

>Calling it Emperor and not Dynasty
>>
>>3831935
The double road is so you can cover it all with plaza. Its sorts out any desirability issues. You can then just have tons of 'arms' coming out to your industry. This way you don't have to have lone huts in the middle of your industrial estates. I hate doing that.

Having repeatable city blocks is almost a must of the later levels, if my city aren't ordered in some way I think I wouldn't be able to cope.

I don't like doing the huge culture walls, I always though they were a bit gimmicky. I just turned all my junctions into bandstands.

You can use gatehouses in Caesar 3 as roadblocks. They're not available in every game though, so you need a backup plan. I was never great at it.
>>
>>3831940
Zeus is much simpler. Its not quite as in depth as pharoah/caesar and it feels a bit more arcadey. Still a great game though, its an excellent introduction to the series.

I've never played Emperor unfortunately. I don't know where to get it.
>>
>>3831945
>I've never played Emperor unfortunately. I don't know where to get it.
Gog have it (finally)
>>
>>3831942
Ah yes i always forget about gate houses. Shame they are so much bigger, and uglier, and cumbersome than roadblocks.

I guess im quite OCD about giving people choice in terms of where they can walk (especially firemen/architects), and thus never ever use bandstands because i have no t-junctions. Pavillions on the other hand i place one per housing block, but immediately roadblock one of the junctions off.
It was only in the last few missions of the game where i realize i could place 3 juglers booths per housing block, and save having to make juggler booth city at the end of each map ("your city needs more juggler booths" =eugggh).

I dont mind having a few slums in industry intensive areas. The only irritating thing is they always catch plagues, and i get pop ups telling me about it. I dont care you vagabonds!

And dont get me wrong, i am not opposed to housing blocks, i do the same thing. but they vary somewhat, and are focused with the housing in the middle, shops and services on the outside, gardens/statues in the very dead centre.
your stuff looks good, alot neater than mine, and certainly alot more spacious. i tend to squeeze in as much as possible, into smaller areas, particularly when it comes to industry.

i tried to take a screenshot of my city for the level i finished today, but playing it on mac through wineskin, and cant seem to do so.

really pleased someone made a thread about this OP, as i absolutely love these games. igot caesar 3 with a demo disc for my windows 95, and have adored them since. have you played Cleo before? if so what did you think?
>>
>>3831949
Holy fuck about time. Well, better say goodbye to the next month of my life.
>>
>>3831945
I found Emperor to be the worst out of the 3 i've played (pharaoh+caesar 3).
It's not that it's a bad game, but as you say its far simpler, a lot easier, and in my experience, you end up making near indentical cities on every map. I know its best to use housing blocks on most of impressions city building games, and that obviously leads to similarities between cities, but in Emperor i was producing almost indentical layouts, to the point where it got boring very fast. This is my fear with Zeus.
I also dont like the heroes.
Pharaoh cannot be topped imo, Caesar 3 is excellent as well, but lacks the precision of control in building and operating your city which pharaoh provides.
>>
File: LastMission3.png (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
LastMission3.png
2MB, 1024x768px
>>3831950
The great thing about the blocks I use it that for the double road on the outside you can have people literally walking anywhere, the ring with all the essential buildings is in the middle. It gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of where you can place things. When I finished all my houses were at the later stages, only really limited by the second food source because I couldn't quite get the distribution network going properly.

I'd usually use more condensed housing blocks for the earlier levels where you're more limited for space, but when its asking for 80 culture and 80 prosperity you really need all your houses to be maxed.

I played cleo first when I was a kid but I sucked at it. Zeus was the only one I could hack. Got back into them recently. Been trying to get back into caesar but as you said the lack of roadblocks is killer.
>>
>>3831956
The thing I enjoyed about Zeus was that because its much simpler you could play about more with your city design. Instead of being constrained to the only things that will work you could go and have a bit more fun, eg the walled city in >>3831868
The missions were also much more varied too. Instead of just getting presented with a new blank map every level, you had about 8 campaigns you could do. Each campaign had missions that followed from the last so you could stay with the same city throughout instead of having to rebuild every time. Was this the case with Emperor?
>>
>>3831962
Well, im glad the is someone out there who has also been playing this game alot recently. It really does become addictive. I bought pharaoh and caear 3 for £1 each back in the 2000's at woolworths. I also got (on the same trip) dungeon keeper gold, rollercoaster tycoon and starcraft for the same price.

Those 5 games, for £5. i'd never read about any before, just thought they looked cool. What a great day that was.
>>
Also Lethis Path of progress.
>>
>>3831968
Yes, emperor did a similar thing where some missions were extenuations of cities you'd built previously, sometimes more than once.

i didnt enjoy it personally, as more often than not, since i seem to build cities quite cramped, it meant having to delete huge parts of cities in order to add the new stuff required. (not always.)

i will play zeus some time.
>>
>>3831973
>I bought pharaoh and caear 3 for £1 each back in the 2000's at woolworths

I think I did the exact same thing.
>>
File: Emperor.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Emperor.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>3831949
>>3831953
If Anyone's still here I'm a few missions into Emperor. The aesthetic is really comfy.
>>
>>3831856
It's not dead though. EA just killed Maxis.

Cities: Skylines is fucking epic. Even though it's off topic to the board.
>>
When you think about it, the whole closed loop road thingy is not how real cities work. But AFAIK they're the only way to beat these games. It's how they operate.

Why do they work so weirdly?
Why can't you have a nice grid pattern and have walkers optimize their routes instead of walking randomly? Or have the sort of bunched up building clusters barely separated by narrow roads style of real medieval towns?
>>
>>3834216
I think the OP was referring to the periodic city building series, which had its own unique mechanics.
>>
>>3831856
To me, this game looks like trash.
>>
>>3835673
Maybe you should try playing it then
>>
>>3835673
That's an awful thing to say. It's looks deluxe
>>
No Simcity 2000/3000/4 fags here?
>>
>>3834365
the Tropico series is pretty much historical reference after historical reference even if it's for a much more recent period, a lot of it is fairly subtle and you'll only pick up on it if you know the event or entity they're recreating

>>3837647
I feel like those belong in their own thread, they play way different from these themed games where you directly lay out and manage everything
>>
>>3831927
yikes. i dont like
>>
File: Emperor2.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Emperor2.png
1MB, 1024x768px
The mechanics of Emperor are a bit funny. Every time I try to quell a rebellion with military all my other colonies go from loyal to rebelling.

The hero mechanics are a bit shit too. I preferred trying to build automation, not having to remember to do things every now and again.
>>
File: Monopoly-tycoon-cover.jpg (52KB, 412x500px) Image search: [Google]
Monopoly-tycoon-cover.jpg
52KB, 412x500px
Does this count?
>>
>>3838497

All military and fighting mechanics in E:RotMK are fucking retarded clusterfacefuck.

Thanks god that everything else is good, so game is fun as hell
>>
File: serf city.jpg (128KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
serf city.jpg
128KB, 640x480px
How about some Serf City / Settlers love. Granted they weren't huge cities but it's a fun series that went on for at least 8 versions.
>>
>>3835673
To me, your taste is trash.
>>
>>3840194
Settlers was fucking great. But, they are village builders, not city builders.

The copy protection in Settlers 3 was insane and still haunts me to this day. Sadly, all it achieved was making you think the game was bugged as fuck, on top of normally being buggy as fuck and crashing on bigger maps.

I still replay Settlers 4. I love those maps where you need 1000+ soldiers to win. It's just a shame that you never really need to expand once you get your economy up, since most maps give you enough ore to finish all enemies in one sitting.

I remember there was one map that did not allow you to do that, and you had to build an impenetrable tower wall to discourage the AI from attacking, all the while building a secondary colony on an island in his back, because it was the only place that had enough ore for an actual army.

You could also mod the executable to display 1080p natively. It looked insanely great.

Such a shame that the game doesn't work on Win10 anymore. There's some DirectDraw emulator that attempts to fix it, but it only works half as good, and bugs the graphics out every few minutes.
>>
I am super shit at those games. Picked up Caesar III for a while and I just kinda don't get how I can still have uncontrollable fires when the Praetor should be able to extinguish them easily when he is nearby. Meeting the Caesar's quota is also impossible. I just haven't quite figured out how to make my villagers actually move from their houses to the buildings, how to efficiently give everyone water, and so on.

Same with Constructor. Same with RCT2, too, actually.
>>
>>3840475
Use the shortcuts to see which house needs what. W for water, F for fire etc.
>>
>>3840475
Caesar is really hard. I've completed all the others but Caesar is the hardest by far. Try Zeus, its much more straightforward.
>>
File: settlers7.jpg (225KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
settlers7.jpg
225KB, 1920x1080px
>>3840435

Settlers 1 was horribly buggy. Multiplayer games were a mess and I remember having to make sure I didn't move the mouse while saving because it would usually crash the game and often corrupt my save. I don't think I ever experienced the S3 copy protection issue, maybe I got lucky and purchased good cd's.

Somewhere after 3 it started getting too complex for me to enjoy. Pretty much same reason I stopped playing the Sim City series. Tried 6 or 7 can't remember which one, it was ok but it just didn't interest me like 1-3 did.

All the animations one the later games were great, did help pass the time since I often found myself waiting on one thing or another.
>>
File: Emperor3.png (859KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Emperor3.png
859KB, 1024x768px
fuck these fucking constant floods
>>
I need to get back into these
>>
I can't beat Caesar 3...
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.