[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OK, so i went to a thrift shop and saw a bunch of N64 games,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 1200px-Nintendo_64_Logo.svg.png (66KB, 1200x1111px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Nintendo_64_Logo.svg.png
66KB, 1200x1111px
OK, so i went to a thrift shop and saw a bunch of N64 games, and God they were so expensive. Why are N64 games to expensive to buy? Genesis and PSX are dirt cheap by comparison.
>>
Nintendo tax
>>
>>3831298
everything Nintendo is more expensive thanks to ecelebs and hipster looking for easy retro credz
>>
last chance to get physical copies because everything is about to be on a digital library
>>
>>3831298
Because of bandwagon collectors like you.
>>
>>3831326
Then why are other consoles from the time not so pricey? Like i said Genesis and PSX are so cheap, even Saturn is cheaper
>>
>>3831329
As has been stated above, Nintendo shit is in very high demand compared to Sega/Sony, so these places feel they can charge out the ass for it. It's a problem that's only really popped up since 2010 or so - before that, all this stuff was dirt cheap. And once it falls out of style, it'll return to being dirt cheap. This same thing happened to Atari stuff in the '90s, but nowadays Atari games are worth less than pocket change - once the generation that grew up with it stops being interested, the value plumments.

Trust me - if you want to play anything NES/SNES/N64 in this day and age, please god do yourself a favor and get a flashcart. Sure they're a somewhat pricey investment, but you're saving shitloads of money in the long run.
>>
>>3831298
Two reasons mainly. The first being Nintendo stuff is generally more expensive as it's the brand the majority knows about the most. The second being a lot of Nintendo stuff is harder to emulate for a number of reasons. I don't know what N64 flash carts are like as I don't own one but it's probably the best way to go for now.
>>
>>3831454
Nintendo 64 is harder to emulate, not just Nintendo, stupid mobile keyboard
>>
>>3831454
Yeah you're right about emulation. Probably also the reason why Saturn is much pricier then other Sega consoles
>>
>>3831298
>building up small collection of n64 games
>Mario64: $60+, Smash Bros: $50+, etc
>Battletanx: $10, Vigilante8: $10, Wipeout64: $5
Just emulate the few games that are price-gouged to hell and take the opportunity to explore games that are still cheap because nobody goes for them right away.
>>
>>3831457
Yeah I don't collect Saturn but I've seen some shit prices. Even things like Dreamcast games are getting expensive in my area, which I find funny since you can burn the games with little effort lol
>>
>>3831460
>>Mario64: $60+

cart only, Mario 64 sells for $25-$30
>>
>>3831467
On ebay? Last time I looked I saw higher prices than that, high enough to discourage me from getting a copy. Hell I saw one for $30 with a 100% fucked up sticker not long ago. I could have just looked at a bad batch of sellers I suppose, but the one brick and mortar store near me charges original retail-ish for games like Mario64 and keeps 'em behind glass.
>>
>>3831442
DESU I find it hard to imagine N64 software to become dirt cheap again
>>
>>3831329
Genesis is cheap because Sega has been only releasing mediocre Sonic games for the past decade, that nobody cares about. Believe me if they were doing AAA Shining Force or Phantasy Star sequels every 2 years, people would jerk off to the Genesis nonstop.

Yes, I know Genesis had more hits, but no one remembers them because Sega doesn't remember them either.

SNES has Mario and Zelda and Final Fantasy, AAA games that are active today too, so hipsters get them and show off that they are playing the latest hot shit titles, but in a soooo retro way.

>Saturn is cheaper

hahahahha no.
>>
>>3831329
>even Saturn is cheaper
Bold-faced lie and you know it. The ONLY games on the Saturn that are worth playing AND cheap to own are Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter 2, and even they sell for $30 to $40 CIB.
Compare this to the N64 where every game in its library outside of the Mario Parties, Mario Kart 64 and Paper Mario can all be bought for $35 or less, and most of these besides Mario and Zelda are even under $25
>>
Basically what everyone is saying here. The cool thing to do is be retro among the hipsters, and the easiest and most recognizable way to accomplish that is old Nintendo products. I just tried looking up "old video game consoles" on google and what came up was all nintendo products. No love for the turbografx or neo geo, both may have actually been more powerful than the SNES too.

But yeah, it's all about cred. People walk into your house to find that Nintendo 64 and the memories come flooding back. People see your mastersystem and confuse it for a flashy VCR.

It's also worth noting, particularly in the era of N64 and PSX, that carts were much more expensive to produce than cd's. That also factors into it. Also better preservation in general with carts and no shitty load times of course!
>>
>>3831329
>saturn
>cheap
Yuo fuckign wot m8
The only system more expensive than sega saturn is neo geo. Even then, the quantity of expensive games worth owning easily makes it more expensive than neo geo.
>>
>>3831489
Ah. I havent looked at Saturn prices for long but after seeing N64 I thought the latter was more. I think I confused myself there
>>
>>3831489
Also I havent noticed Saturn's prices steeply climbing as N64's, if that is the case maybe N64 may eventually overtake in the medium-term
>>
>>3831329
Less Saturn LPs

>>3831480
I've bought master race Saturns for ¥400 and N64s for ¥500 so yes they can be cheaper. Usually they're both ¥500

>>3831489
>i can't play a game if it's not in a box
teh tism

>>3831507
I have never paid more than ¥500 for a Saturn. I have 8. I paid more than all those combined for my cheapest AES
>>
Psx isnt cheap by comparison. Almost all jrpg are $60+. Even the most popular games like spyro goes for $20. Ive had a much easier time on my wallet buying n64 games. To me mario 64 and mario kart 64 are the only hit games that are stupidly over priced.
>>
Where did the "Nintendo tax" meme came from?
Yeah a loose Sonic 2 is cheap just as a loose SMB/Duck Hunt is cheap.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.