[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did you figure this out on your own thanks to the signposting,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: SMetroidShatteredGlassScreen.png (37KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
SMetroidShatteredGlassScreen.png
37KB, 256x224px
Did you figure this out on your own thanks to the signposting, without being told, spoiling yourself, or randomly running around bombing everything in sight out of frustration?

Be honest.
>>
>>3828372
Pretty sure I just got lucky and had it happen by clicking the wrong button while in the room and setting off a bomb... back when I first played this game I didn't have the Internet... wow that sounded weird typing
>>
I always entered Maridia from Crateria, right of the Crashed Ship. When I would end up there I just tried a Super Bomb to see if I could shortcut back down to Norfair.
>>
Yes I noticed the broken tube and just tried all my explosives.

Mind you I got stuck there and spent several days wandering around the entire game world. I'd much rather have just had it spoiled for me.

There's things I've noticed in games before that make me feel smart, this one really didn't.
>>
>>3828372
it was made of glass and I wanted to break it open because that would be cool so I used all the weapons on it

I was 7
>>
>>3828372
The commercial.
>>
I noticed the broken one, the fact that there are explorable areas around the fixed one, and I think the demo shows you what to do as well.
>>
>>3828372
Can we stop posting this all the time?
its always the same thread no matter how many times people post this.

One group of people will call it needlessly obtuse, then another group will say that you can infer it is breakable because there is another broken pipe in Maridia. Then the two groups will insult each other calling each other stupid or autistic back and forth until the thread gets bumped off.
>>
File: pepe underage kid.png (17KB, 651x641px) Image search: [Google]
pepe underage kid.png
17KB, 651x641px
>>3828372
Dude glass tube lmao
Dude water temple lmao
Dude Sonic 3 barrel lmao
>>
>>3828372
Spoiler your image next time, dick
>>
File: i told you about vr.jpg (102KB, 788x1024px) Image search: [Google]
i told you about vr.jpg
102KB, 788x1024px
>>3828501
I don't even know why I keep coming here.
>>
>>3828543
Woah dude did you just say "psx"? I find that very problematic. Do you realize you're triggering people? It's 2017, you can't just go on the internet and call PlayStation "psx", you're obviously an underage bigot so I'm calling other oldfags and reporting you to mods
>>
>>3828372
My bro has discovered it without any help. I remember myself watching him play when he did it.
>>
I knew it right away because you also had to do it in Zero Mission.
I discovered it by pure random chance in Zero Mission though and it made me piss my pants.
>>
I don't remember ever being stuck there, but where I actually got stuck was the part where you had to speed booster jump to a really far away platform to progress. I hope I wasn't the only one.
>>
>>3828372
These threads are getting boring.

Honest.
>>
>>3828543
>hipstercalling and games not ageing in the same tier than PS2 and e-celeb threads
Fucking hipsters stop ruining everything
>>
>>3828372
Yes. Not everyone was as retarded as a kid as you were.
>>
>>3828372
Honest? Never played Super Metroid nor do i intend to
>>
I got stuck on a lot of parts in the Metroid games, when I was 14. Still figured them out eventually. My deductive reasoning is a little faster now. Pretty sure figuring some of these things out for yourself is the point of each Metroid game.

I realize this is another shitpost pot thread, but seriously, weren't the puzzles in Metroid games nice the first time around? I wish I could do it again. We should've had more Metroid games.
>>
>>3828397
This is actually really interesting from a psychological standpoint. As an avid videogamer, you're trained to tokenize the aspects of the game as you navigate through them: A moving object becomes an enemy or shootable target; a wall with an out of place marker becomes a sign of a hidden passage; glowing spots on enemies are automatically assumed to be weakpoints. People have been trained to reduce everything down to abstract concepts and repeatable logic.

I have a hypothesis that younger gamers who do not have that much experience in games will figure out the destructible pipe faster while older gamers will actually take longer because of the typically more efficient way they process the gameworld.
>>
>>3828372
Yes, I played and beat this game before the internet became mainstream.
>>
>>3828372
I recall that I just started bombing shit looking for extra pickups
>>
>>3828372
The tunnel is cracked.
It felt fishy from the start.
I messed around with it for a while until I powerbombed it.
That's it.
>>
It was a "screw this tube" moment. I remember thinking the map clearly extends....Eff it.
>>
>my regular bomb won't work here
>oh now I got a bigger bomb let's go back there

I figured it out when it was released and I was 10.

>>3828480
Playground chatter material. Nice.
>>
>>3829343
It really is. I've done some small-scale game design and realized that modern videogames have honestly evolved an entire visual language.

The tube is hard for modern gamers because it's the equivalent of a spanish sentence in an english book.
>>
>>3829343
>>3829579
Well, I only discovered Metroid when I was 16 (in 2004), through the glory of emulation, since where I live, SNES was absolutely nowhere to be found, while Genesis and its chinese hardware clones were everywhere.

However, I was an avid Doom/Quake player before, and they taught me, that anything standing out in the scenery has a high chance of being a secret.

That was not the case with many games, but Metroid quickly taught me to return to my old ways and shoot/bomb everything that looked even remotely suspicious, so bombing a glass corridor was a natural action to me.
>>
>>3829650
And here we see somebody reverting to an older visual language to solve problems.
My thesis is proving itself.
>>
It came with a guide in Germany.
>>
>>3828372
I'm pretty sure I just fucked around and thought it would be cool if I could break it.
>>
I saw it in the Super Metroid TV commercial
>>
>>3828395
same i just figured it out somehow
>>
The room has a unique tile set for the tube thats not seem anywhere else and the map shows that you can go up and down in that area. So of course I dropped a few bombs and missiles to try to break it.

I was around 8 at the time.
>>
>>3828372
I did, yes. I think it was a last resort, out of desperation - I didn't think for a second that it would actually work.

Which made it all the more satisfying when it did.
>>
>>3831095
Yeah and the map changes to Maridia for one room.
>>
>>3829343
Not everybody thinks in the way of convenient memorizations. Personally, I don't memorize rules and patterns that only apply to specific rulesets or contexts, instead I wash myself of assumptions and reduce things to the lowest irreducible components and structure before building up my understanding of the possibilities at work and predicting the behavior of the design through the likely motivations of the designer.
>>
>>3828372

This is a full blown meme at this point.

My first dev work will be a "belt-scroller" based around destroying glass tubes with power bombs.
>>
>>3831354
I want to sleep with you and build kingdoms of idealistic madness.
>>
>>3828372
Randomly running around bombing everything in site without any frustration, the way the developers originally intended.
>>
Okay, for one, you don't even *have* to break that tube to beat the game. For two, if you come into Maridia via the east (Wrecked Ship), you see an identical pipe that is busted just to clue you in. For three, you can clearly see that an area exists below it yet the map shows no clear route, meaning bomb it and the rooms around it, which you will likely just power bomb to save time and then BOOM. Ya did it.
>>
if you had an older brother this was one part of they game they would spoil for you
>>
>>3828372
Watching the movie in the game.
>>
>>3829650
My experience with metroid taught me to bomb every floor, wall and ceiling tile, because bombs reveal everything, and if they don't then there's nothing there. I never would have thought of power bombing the damn thing. I never used powerbombs.
>>
>>3832218
>I want to sleep with you and build kingdoms of idealistic madness.
that sounds nice if you actually mean sleep
>>
I remember I spent hours looking for the entrance, I even contemplated just looking it up online, instead I just stopped playing it for a month and found it rather quickly once I started playing it again
>>
>>3832897
I think I solved it once walking into the area with the broken glas thought about how much of a dumbass I was and went on my merry way to beating the game
>>
>>3828372
I honestly don't remember having trouble with this part.
>>
>>3828372
there's a platform up there. of course you're supposed to blow it up.
>>
i did figure it out on my own, but a few things to consider:
• I had found the power bombs already
• I was already stuck, so I was just trying out all kinds of shit with Power Bombs to find a secret passage anywhere
• iirc there's something funny going on in the map around that part.. doesn't it change momentarily to Maridia for just those three rooms or something?

desu i had more trouble with finding kraid's lair
>>
>>3828372
no i had to use a guide
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.