[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth playing the SNES version of Tales of Phantasia or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: tales-of-phantasia-game.png (425KB, 600x540px) Image search: [Google]
tales-of-phantasia-game.png
425KB, 600x540px
Is it worth playing the SNES version of Tales of Phantasia or does the PS1 version improve on it on every way?

Also if not ToP what are some other decent non-FF/DQ JRPG's to kill some time on my SNES. Energy Breaker looks interesting, but the character sprites are kinda ugly
>>
Try Bahamut Lagoon or Star Ocean? Or Seikendensetsu 3?
>>
>>3826915
Star Ocean was great, which is part of why I want to try Phantasia.
Bahamut Lagoon never really clicked for me. I found the battle system really unwieldy when compared to the other great SRPG's of that generation
>>
>>3826910
>Energy Breaker
that's an obscure one, still have to finish it
Try Treasure Hunter G
>>
>>3826910
No. Best version of ToP is included on psp in Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
>>
>>3826910
I'd say play the playstation version.
>>
>>3826987
Treasure Hunter G looks interesting. I did somewhat enjoy the Evolution games from a mindless dungeon crawling perspective
>>
>>3826992
Does it have a translation patch?
>>
>>3827029
absolute zero (translations)
>>
>>3827059
It says in progress for their translation. How playable is it?
>>
>>3827083

i'm not the guy you are replying, but i remember playing the ps1 remake completely translated at least 5 years ago. if there is not another translation project around i would say that i played the absolute zero one, i can't remember tho.
I do remember it had a selection screen that would let you pick if you want translated ability names or just a romanization of them (which i found very nice).
>>
Eternal Filena?
>>
>>3826910
SNES has better music (in my opinion) but PS1 is better in every other way.
>>
>>3826910
Not really. The SNES version is perfectly playable, but playing it after the PSX version is just a stepdown in every way. The definitive version is >>3826992 but while there is a patch in the works, you can't play it in English right now.

>>3826910
How about the Breath of Fire series? Breath of Fire 1 is generic, but it tries its hardest to be more than that and I think it does a pretty good job of it. Breath of Fire 2 is a gem hiding under a shitty translation. Play it with the retranslation patch. 3 and 4 are great games even on their own.

There's also World of Wozz (I think that's the name), Adventures of Hourai High and the Metal Max games. Live-A-Live is also worth a look at.
>>
SNES version has the best music, but the worst translation. Would be nice if a group retranslated it.
>>
>>3830689
This guy has some big balls. I liked the shitty translation.
>>
>>3826910
How much does this game go for typically?
>>
>>3826910
I'd say the SNES version is the best for it's what came first with Phantasia. DeJap's translation team did a good job at adding a few lines that is categorized as fan service, too.
>>
>>3826910
the only reason to play Phantasia SNES is if you really like the goofy as shit DeJap translation
>>
>>3828681
Man, I played this like a month ago. Something weird happened with the save and gameplay was kinda boring for me to start over...
>>
How are the old Tales games compared to more recent ones, I dropped Vesperia, Graces F and Abyss. Maybe I'll get to finishing them one day, but there's just something about Tales games, I get halfway and lose interest.
>>
>>3826910
Eh, I'm actually surprised no one mentioned Lufia 2. What a great game.
>>
It's probably the third-worst version but the most technically impressive one given the system its on.
>>
File: Tales of Fantasia 1-1.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Tales of Fantasia 1-1.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Here's a pic of the SNES version running on the 640x480 native screen of my Moto Flipout which really gives me a pixel boner but truth be told I've never been able to get into a Tales game not this one, not Tales of Eternia, not the brand new Tales of Besperia. What am I missing?
>>
>>3829291
BOF2 is still a mediocre game even with that new translation.
>>
>>3830703
I suppose it was fine for its time since it was one the early SNES translation projects, but it also could have been done better.

I just don't like the rearranged soundtrack the Playstation version has.
>>
>>3831559
plz respond
>>
>>3834550
I finished Abyss, couldn't stand Legendia
>>
>>3828681
That was the one with the "hurr durr technology bad nature gud" plot wasn't it?
>>
File: 0EbcANZ.jpg (106KB, 900x960px) Image search: [Google]
0EbcANZ.jpg
106KB, 900x960px
>real ToD2 will never be translated

The only ones who touched it are those faggots at Phantasia
>>
>>3834716
>ToD2
I'd much rather have Destiny Director's Cut or Vesperia for PS3.
>>
>>3834789
There is a translation for PS3 vesperia but it requires CFW or something.
>>
>>3831559
2D Tales feel very different from the 3D games, especially the battle system.
Try them for yourself. I recommend Eternia, but Destiny and Phantasia are also good choices.
>>
>>3835051
Destiny has better characters and story, but Eternia has a better, more fluid combat system.

Of the first 3 tales games - Destiny is the only one where the combat felt like a chore more than a feature
>>
>>3834660
It's more about fighting slavery. But I guess you could say there's some part of it.
>>
>>3834660
And lesbians... Why is it the only retro game with s/u/ch...
>>
File: tales chart.jpg (1009KB, 1824x2280px) Image search: [Google]
tales chart.jpg
1009KB, 1824x2280px
How true is this?
>>
>>3835517
Never before have I seen such shit taste.
>>
>>3835517
No way in hell Hearts is god tier.
>>
>>3835517
shit chart
>>
>>3835517
How can the PS2 version of Destiny completely replace the original when there isn't even a way to play it in English.

The original isn't perfect but at least I can follow the plot
>>
>>3835942
I never played the remake, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was one these >>3829101 cases.

But man, I sure love Destiny. Likable characters with nice designs (Stahn is a little too much, but the rest are great), interesting story and setting, even the Swordian mechanics are fun to mess around with.
>>
>>3834660
That was the shitty subplot in Chrono Cross anon
>>
Bit late but I preffer the SNES graphics, it's just a bit less SD and I like it. PS1 version is for everything else.

Still, my only complain about ToP is the encounter rate. It's high as hell even with a holy bottle, and fucks up the pacing of the great dungeons so much.
>>
>>3836473
Isn't it the other way around? SNES is more SD (big heads and hands), while PSX has a "mini" aesthetic.
>>
SNES ToP has the worst translation. Stay away from it.
>>
File: phantasia3ke.jpg (255KB, 1206x903px) Image search: [Google]
phantasia3ke.jpg
255KB, 1206x903px
>>3836483
Not really, at least not in my opinion. Chester's head is really big on PS1/GBA, for example.
>>
>>3836718
"GBA was a mistake" - Miyamoto Shigeru
>>
>>3836718
Now that you say it, you're really right. I've played ToP SNES back in 2001, so I didn't remember.
The only things I remember from that game are Cless' face when he gets hit, and Suzu's parents petrifying you with a backstab movie. I think it was the only time I died in that game.
>>
>>3836814
*backstab MOVE
>>
>>3826910
Beauty!
>>
File: 1416509727925.png (57KB, 735x460px) Image search: [Google]
1416509727925.png
57KB, 735x460px
>>3836718
I still have this.
>>
File: TP_Characters.jpg (182KB, 960x636px) Image search: [Google]
TP_Characters.jpg
182KB, 960x636px
>>3837989
The transition to PS was so weird.
Mint suddenly is a nurse? What is happening?
>>
File: Rondoline_E._Effenberg[1].jpg (65KB, 459x650px) Image search: [Google]
Rondoline_E._Effenberg[1].jpg
65KB, 459x650px
>>3837989
Is that Phantasia / Narikiri Dungeon X fan-translation still going? Rondy is cute.
For people who played it, where does she fit in the storyline?
>>
>>3838374
>For people who played it, where does she fit in the storyline?
She was just shoved into the game.
Apparently Rondoline is from the past timeline, she met Dhaos before he started the war with Midgard and now she just wants to meet him again.

She doesn't participate in any skit or dialog outside her very specific events, you can't even find weapons to her, her swords are automatically updated.
>>
>>3838201
Those are NAMCO redesigns, they didn't like the look of the original cast much.
>>
File: 14248524861485.jpg (2MB, 1600x1440px) Image search: [Google]
14248524861485.jpg
2MB, 1600x1440px
>>3838374
>>3838561
Ironically but not surprisingly she still gets more attention than the twins who are actually the MC of their game.
>>
>>3835775
Hearts R isn't, but Hearts is definitely god tier.
>>
Graces F is the best 3D Tales game

>b-b but i don't like the stor- Nigga shut the fuck up, it's a Tales game.
>>
>>3835517
I have a really hard time getting into Xillia 2. Most of the characters' stories seem like they were resolved or nearly resolved in the first game. It also doesn't help that there are tons of rehashed towns and dungeons.
>>
>>3826910
The witch is the cheapest character. You can solo Dhaos with her.
>>
>>3838570
Which is heretical, original Mint is a million times cuter
>>
>>3835517
Shit taste
>>
>>3839212
The truth.
>>
Is it just me or is there something inherently different "feeling" about older and newer Tales games?

It's not just a nostalgia thing because Abyss was my first one but the PS1 Tales and Symphonia are just a lot more pleasant to play. They all the same goofy anime-ish characters and plots but I just can't get into Hearts R or Berseria the same way I can into Eternia or Phantasia
>>
>>3838848
Why is that?
>>
>>3827083
Unplayable since a0t doesn't tend to release unfinished patches. They're also working on Tales of Destiny at the moment, after having dropped ToPX after a longass time of slow updates.

They do good work but they're extremely slow and not very focused. I don't blame them, and they don't owe anyone anything, but don't hold your breath for the next few years.

>>3827415
ToP PS1 was translated by a0t as well (there should be another translation floating around as well), but their ToPX project is a completely different project I think.
>>
>>3843324
There are wildly different feelings when it comes to Tales games yes. Symphonia was my first one, and plot-wise I think it feels closer to games like Phantasia and Eternia than Abyss does. Abyss is kind of a weird game in general, since it feels a lot more linear and constrained (although I'm only about halfway through atm so I can't make a very good judgment).

Then you have games like Graces with their weird but interesting battle systems, and Xillia with its fair amount of fanservice (as well as linearity + boring dungeons, but a fun battle system), and Xillia 2 with its godawful quest/debt system (never played more than a few hours of this one, even if the battle system was better than Xillia 1, it just felt so grindy having to get money to advance the plot).

Unfortunately on /vr/ we can only really talk about Phantasia, Eternia, Destiny and Destiny II, but I would definitely recommend Graces. It has a nice plot that's divided into different story arcs, and the combat is pretty challenging, unlike most post-Symphonia Tales' combo craziness or retro Tales' hit-and-run tactics.
>>
>>3826910
The PS1 Version is the superior one, so yeah, go for it (at least until the translation for ToPX is finished).
>>
>>3836718
I will never be able to like the SNES Designs of the characters after watching the 4 shitty OVAs of Phantasia and playing the GBA Version (because of reasons, pls understand), fuck.
>>
File: 1353156046163.gif (16KB, 94x122px) Image search: [Google]
1353156046163.gif
16KB, 94x122px
>>3832067
>What am I missing?
Taste
>>
>>3836384
Quit spilling salt everywhere, EOP.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.