[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've heard you can play this game as either an RPG or a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 2

File: Planescape-torment-box.jpg (41KB, 404x502px) Image search: [Google]
Planescape-torment-box.jpg
41KB, 404x502px
I've heard you can play this game as either an RPG or a point-and-click adventure. How does that work? Are enemies initially NPC's that will only attack if you attack first? Do you go into "fight mode" if you choose the wrong dialogue option? If you choose to fight some enemies, are you "locked" into RPG mode for the rest of the game? What specs should you go with if you mostly want to play it as an adventure game?
>>
>How does that work?
You can negotiate your way out of almost every encounter.

>What specs should you go with if you mostly want to play it as an adventure game?
Charisma. But the most important stat is Wisdom so you'll recall your memories.
>>
>>3825215
>You can negotiate your way out of almost every encounter.
But if you mess up, does it let you try again? Or does it initiate a fight?

>But the most important stat is Wisdom so you'll recall your memories.
What does that mean? The character remember more of his backstory?
>>
There are areas with hostile creatures and you will have to subject yourself to really shitty combat occasionally.
>>
>>3825192
is Torment any good?
>>
>>3825315

There is a particular prominent youtuber who says it's his favorite pc game of all time
>>
>>3825232
You'll be attacked several times throughout the game and there's nothing you can do but know how to avoid them, run when they happen or fight.

But people like to play up and exaggerate the 'you can talk your way out of anything!' aspect. Ye can't talk ya way out of some berk who just wants ta stick ya for some jink, ya jig?
>>
>>3825315
It's shit. People praise it mostly for writing.
>>
>>3825192
>I've heard you can play this game as either an RPG or a point-and-click adventure.
You heard wrong. It's a regular RPG, just with lots of dialogue options and choices that can let you avoid combat very often. Emphasis on "very often" and not "always". There's unavoidable encounters in the first half as well, but most of your time is spent running around the city gathering clues and talking to various NPCs, hence the reason people may call it a point'n'click adventure game at times. If you want to avoid combat as much as possible put points into CHA, WIS and INT since they all influence dialogue options.

That all goes out of the window once you hit Ravel's Maze (about halfway through if I recall correct) and the game turns into a linear dungeon crawler full of nothing but unavoidable combat encounters and constant running back and forth the only resting spot while suffering through the shitty combat. Only saving grace is that the enemies don't respawn.
>>
>>3825315
it's not for everyone, gotta like reading and shaping the story. I fucking loved, played a few times taking different paths, trying different builds, but in the end the ones that will get the best out of the game are the ones with high wisdom and intelligence.
>>
>>3826592
The people that do this don't particularly have great taste or anything. It's really just awful low-tier philosophy shit fluffed up with all this edge and gross-out purple prose

If you wanna think of it as a text heavy adventure game with rpg elements plastered on, it's passable. If you want to think of it as a DnD game it is absolutely terrible, it's one of the worst.

If you think of it as literature, it's downright laughable.
>>
>>3826592
>mostly
I praise it because it's immersive, not particularly because of the writing.
>>
>>3825304
>>3826940
what makes the combat so shitty?
>>
>>3825539
Who
>>
>>3826592
>Great writing
>Shit game
>In an RPG
Pick one. Writing can make or break RPG.
>>
>>3825315
If you like:
Overly verbose and flowery writing that will have you raging at the author to get to the point already.
Absolutely abysmal combat
Dirt aesthetics
Then you'll love it.
>>
>>3828489
It's just dull. You can solve most problems with the minimum of effort in a fight
>>
>>3828839
>Overly verbose and flowery writing

Purple prose was the term you were looking for, we'll go ahead and ignore the irony.
>>
>>3825192
>I've heard you can play this game as either an RPG or a point-and-click adventure. How does that work
Game has partly adventure and partly point-and-click moments. But I think D&D level cap is more abyssmal than combat settings. Especially playing TNO as mage is literally a torment.
>>
Does people actually consider Torment as an rpg game? I always thought it's way too linear for rpg standards.
>>
>>3829019
git gud. Playing as a mage is piss-easy if you actually learn how the spells work. I don't recall having any real trouble in any fight in that game, except perhaps a few cheap shots in the maze fight.
>>
>>3829197
Only neckbeards and autists play mage in an rpg game.

>t. thief masterrace
>>
>>3828760
Arcanum is written extremely well. It has a really cool setting; it is in fact one of the few steampunk settings that does not call for a slice to the cockles.

Barring its extremely rich and promising lore and the extensive options available in character creation, the game is, however, really shit.

Arcanum is the most fun I've ever had playing a shitty game, right next to Dink Smallwood.
>>
>>3829197
>>3829019
>keeping yourself only to one class
>not going full fighter/mage by using Dakkon
Fucking plebs.
>>
>>3829246
Your main character dialogue choices are influenced only by TNO's stats. No real point to playing a Fighter or Thief, because they don't benefit much from Intelligence/Wisdom.
>>
>>3829259
With a balanced party, you can easliy hold your wis/int high and become a prominent fighter at the same time.
>>
>>3829239
>Arcanum is the most fun I've ever had playing a shitty game
So true
>>
>>3827261
>If you want to think of it as a DnD game it is absolutely terrible, it's one of the worst.
Why can't Forgotten Realmsfags understand that Planescape settings are completely different than regular "slay the magician, kill the dragon" campaigns?
>>
>>3829295
Planescape is an outlier compared to every other D&D setting, not just FR; Greyhawk and Eberron will have the same kinda frame as well.

Nothing in Planescape inherently denies good dungeon crawls (just the modron mazes and the colourful traps here and there can give you a headache).

I'd be wondering why would you play D&D if you didn't want to be heavily action oriented. I like D&D, even 3.5, but I have to question that.
>>
>>3829298
>why would you play D&D if you didn't want to be heavily action oriented
That's the issue, not everyone has to like classic settings. That's why there are many campaigns for different tastes (Spelljammer for sci/fi, Ravenloft for horror, etc.)
>>
>>3829239
>Barring its extremely rich and promising lore and the extensive options available in character creation, the game is, however, really shit.
>Arcanum is the most fun I've ever had playing a shitty game, right next to Dink Smallwood.
My experience with PS:T to be honest. I heard Arcanum has a good story and whatnot later on, but it doesn't have the same unique drive in the beginning like PS:T does (talking namely about the completely alien Sigil) that gives you willpower to suffer through the shitty parts.

I tried starting Arcanum multiple times and finally managed to beat the fucking mine golems with a Harm spam mage, only to be met by rooms filled with even more trash foes and ended up quitting right there.
>>
>>3825192
Why TNO in the cover looks nothing like him in-game?
>>
>>3825315
The NPCs are pretty memorable
They feel a lot more human/whatever race they are than the characters in, say, baldur's gate
Demons, angels and extraplanars are also pretty well fleshed out. You mindlessly bash most of them but the few that you talk to have character.
>>
>>3825192
How can you play as both. What?
>>
>>3829891
The first Baldur's Gate is tongue in cheek satire for the most part, lampshading character tropes and DnD cliches with a good number of characters having actual backstory and fleshed out characters that don't perfectly follow archetypes or anything.

All of the characters in PS:T perfectly follow archetypes though. It's very paint-by-numbers regardless of how long the prose is.
>>
I have a save file for this game and I'm trying to play it on another computer. Should I install all the updates and then put in the save file or put it in anyways?
>>
>>3829543
Because it's Guido Henkel with a shitty mask.
>>
I'll never understand PS:T's target audience. It's definitely not for kids, and too deep for an average rpg gamer neither.
>>
If you've graduated highschool, and have a decent attention span, you'll probably love this game. The game requires strong reading comprehension skills, and patience. I look at the game more as an adventure game than an RPG. The battle elements/character stat development are utterly secondary to choices one makes in-game. I wouldn't play this game as solely an RPG. Be sure to give your character strong intelligence going into the game; he'll be able to communicate better with NPCs that can give you valuable information.
>>
>>3829031
>too linear

lol
>>
You're better off talking you way out of this game because with the atrocious D&D Combat rules your fights will consist of 90% missed attacks and the other 10% of you losing just because the dice wasn't on your side. Hope you like save scumming.
>>
I tried really hard to get into planescape after hearing so much about it. I think I must've had about three attempts at it now and haven't got more than a few hours in each time. The game is such a chore to play. The quest log is shit so you never quite know where you have to go for the side quests. The combat is awful. And the text literally consists of 50% gore description which you have to endlessly scroll though. I'm sure the story gets better but the mechanics were dreadful.

>>3827261
Pretty much this
>>
>>3831345
Boulders gate 1 is so shit compared with 2. 2 is an all time classic.
ps:t always chrased for me :(
>>
>>3833079
The intro parts too 2 always made me lose interest right away
>>
>>3825192

Im happy this /thread/ exist, soo hijacking it now.

I Skipped most of this type of games when i was a teen soo i feel like am missing out, i only remember finishing diablo 1, maybe 2, and the most commercial classic rpgs.

Should i try this one? Is it worth it?
How good is it? Hows the combat? How dated it feels?

Is this a Series of games? Is there something to play before this? I got curious on this game after seen a spiritual sequel or whatever is about to be released.
>>
>>3835202
You should play the original Baldur's Gate with Widescreen mod.

Don't play PS:T or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, don't use other mods, don't play Icewind or Neverwinter, play Baldur's Gate 1 with widescreen mod.

The expansion content for BG1 is okay too.

After playing BG1 you can do whatever you want it won't really matter.
>>
>>3828854
Stay mad.
The writing is garbage and only a few autists enjoy this shit pile of a game.
>>
>>3828854
>doesn't refute any of the accusations aimed at the game
Thanks for the meme term.
>>
>>3835212

Care to explain why?
I already finished one of the Neverwinter games years ago (I dont remember anything about it tho).

I wil try to find the original BG with that mod anyway to play first.
>>
>>3829298
>I'd be wondering why would you play (a roleplaying game) if you didn't want to be heavily action oriented (instead of roleplaying).
>>
>>3835243
BG1 is universally considered the worst of the bunch.
>>
>>3835337

Then why is this guy getting telling me to play it?
>>
>>3835343
4chan is a site known for its trolls and jesters.
>>
>>3835212
I also agree with Icewind, that game really sucks.
>>
>>3825192
So what toutuber made this popular
>>
>>3831345
>paint by the numbers
Dakkon was a special snowflake at the time he was written. His entire deal is being alien in behaviour for his chaotic race.

There's a chaste succubus.

They have a arc about things that can change the nature of person, hell the entire game is about exploring the fundamental concepts of the Planescape setting.
>>
>>3835212
I played BG2 first and the annoyances in BG1 meant to make it special take my enjoyment out of it if I'm honest. It's realtime with pause except if you go into your inventory the game unpauses. On top of that it has most of the balance issues AD&D has that were never fixed.

Faerun is a shit setting.
>>
>>3835574
>A protagonist with amnesia who commits a grave sin he no longer remembers
>The trusted acquaintance who isn't entirely honest with the protagonist
>A man of broken faith whose easily swayed and manipulated by others
>A harlot who changes her ways as a result of trauma and becomes stronger after finding a cult religion that can empower her
>A street rat with father issues
>A child prodigy who becomes psychotic after the abuse of his instructor
These were all BRAND NEW at the time, definitely not totally established literary archetypes or anything!
>>
>>3835343
>>3835579
RPG period writing from the late 90s, the first game being designed from the outset with softened DnD mechanics in mind.

Baldur's Gate is very just so, it is in all ways a videogame that is based on DnD, it is to be remembered for it's videogame-ness not it's DnD-ness. It was balanced as is, around itself, not so much stringently adhered to the ruleset it came from.

To a certain extent balance is restored in the sequels and in other games, those are more akin to real DnD in game form.

The thing is, if you play with mods to fix all the bugs and tweak all the exploits and make BG1 playable in BG2's engine, and link all the games together and improve the AI or encounter balance to make it a True Epic DnD experience, you'll never really appreciate the first game for what it was, it'll be married to the context you first played it in.

And that would be a shame.
>>
>>3827261
Have you ever read a book? I mean, literature.
>>
>>3836094
I have read books.
>>
>>3836110
since you described the writing as low-tier philosophy shit, I would be curious to know what you consider a great work of philosophy/literature.
>>
>>3835831
You forgot the best one
>a dead mercykiller who isn't even avare of his death and attacks nearly everything that moves regardless of what you say
>>
File: TTON-3D-Cover-Tags-1-510x600.jpg (44KB, 510x600px) Image search: [Google]
TTON-3D-Cover-Tags-1-510x600.jpg
44KB, 510x600px
Talking of Torment, anyone have the PDF of this?
>>
>>3835831
In several thousand years of writing you really think it's possible to make something that isn't similar to something else, especially if you word it in a way that ignores all the details? Or is it that you don't understand the concept of an archetype and its purpose in storytelling?
>>
>>3836116
I'm not sure I'm willing to call any work of philosophy "great" since I find greatness to be in deeds rather than words. Certainly I find that the most compelling philosophy tends to be written between the lines in books of religion rather than politic or sophistry. At times they are intriguing, but I've never really found any with a set of ideas I could completely respect. Perhaps I view philosophy instead as being something you carry with you and personally cultivate with your own wisdom, rather than a body of knowledge that can be acquired or referenced. Right now I'm reading through Gurdijeff's work, and you could call him something of a philosopher I suppose, though I'm not sure that's his intention.

If you want an example of a book that is comparable to what's written in PS:T, that is to say a fantasy book with moral ambiguity and lots of edge and lewdness, I'd probably recommend Sword of Truth, which is mostly better for the fact that it actually is a book and not a sloppy videogame.
>>
>>3836447
>In several thousand years of writing you really think it's possible to make something that isn't similar to something else
I have a few ideas kicking around that I can't share actually.

I'm not criticizing the use of archetypes, but I will criticize the linearity of the story and their presentation in it.

Rather, what I was originally saying, is that the story is simply nothing special.
>>
>>3836469
>I'd probably recommend Sword of Truth
Shit tier fantasy ((((novel)))) written by an author with the intelectual capacity of a teenager. Please don't recommend that pile of garbage to anyone.
>>
>>3836503
That's mostly what makes it comparable to PS:T, yes.
>>
>>3836469
>reads quack spiritualism
>criticises PS:T's philosophy
Why people are so eager at speaking out of their asses in this website?
>>
>>3836570
actually very little of it is about spiritualism, though perhaps you have not the capacity to take things in any way other than the literal
>>
>>3836582
>lowbrow scum tries to be an asshat
We often take things "literal" in actual literature chum. Come to /lit/ so we can make more fun of you.
>>
>>3836593
>implying /lit isn't just full of degenerate atheists and wizards
try impressing me with an actual argument instead of these insipid semantics and strawmen
>>
>>3835226
Any of the accusations? The only real negative he mentioned was the combat, which is objectively bad. The rest is just personal preference.
>>
>>3825192
Youtube popular
>>
I just started PS:T recently. I had fun in the Mortuary, I liked the dialogue and had fun doing all the sidequests/puzzles, but now I'm in the town and I really don't want to talk to all these assholes. Is the town different because it's like a hub? Like are the other areas of the game more like the Mortuary?
>>
>>3835202
If you want a frame of reference, this game was the most requested title to be put on Good Old Games for quite a while. I haven't played the game myself, but that might mean something.
>>
>>3837059
Combat isn't objective, though. You're just using a particular set of standards to define your aesthetics of gameplay, in the same way he's doing it for writing. It just so happens that the former is a lot less obvious than the latter, and it doesn't change that for both, if you don't provide an argument or explanation, you might as well not have typed anything.
>>
>>3839225
You might wanna try bungling your way through the game as a thief instead of trying to follow all the dialogue paths and quests and secrets or whatever.
>>
>>3825539
fuck you anon
>>
>>3825315
the new one aint bad either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVzz2qk11-E
>>
>>3840389
>it takes place in a far future instead of Planescape realm
[muffled frog scream]
>>
>>3825192
You just better play the game, Berk! Otherwise i'll grab a couple cutters and put you in the dead book fast, might make some clink off your corpse while we're at it.
>>
>>3825192
I was a designer on this game.

I recently finished Torment.
>>
>>3825315
best game I worked on

>>3826592
fuck you

>>3827261
philistine

>>3829239
I was a designer for arca\anum too and bloodlines
>>
>>3845594
Isn't it time you gave up this charade?
Every thread, same shit.
>still posts no proofs
>>
>>3845594
>philistine
stay pleb
>>
>>3845637
Ive posted proof several times..
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.