[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why SNK allowed Crystalis to be remade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: crystalisgbc.jpg (27KB, 350x351px) Image search: [Google]
crystalisgbc.jpg
27KB, 350x351px
Can someone explain to me why SNK allowed Crystalis to be remade on Game Boy Color when they were pushing the Neo-Geo Pocket Color as a competing platform? Would've made more sense if they had just made a God Slayer sequel for the NGPC.
>>
>>3818794
That's a good question, and I have no answer.

I'm not gonna complain though, I though it was a pretty decent port.
>>
Game Boy color was a pretty popular platform that many people owned
>>
>>3818794
NGPC was discontinued in a barely a year after its release, and before Crystalis was released.

Plus the game never got a sequel, it was pretty old… Don't think SNK treated it like a very important IP. Which is not surprising coming from a company that ran iself into the ground and stuck to a 15 year old arcade board till the end.
>>
File: crystalis-nes-flyer-74126.jpg (593KB, 546x750px) Image search: [Google]
crystalis-nes-flyer-74126.jpg
593KB, 546x750px
>>3818794
Nintendo bought the IP and then ported it to the GBC where it sold poorly because a) the new boxart sucked dick compared to the OG one and b) it was a shit port altogether and only little kids who never grew up with an NES think it's a good version of the game.
>>
Nintendo bought it from SNK. It's all Nintendo now.
>>
>>3819265
They completely changed the music which really ruined the entire game.
>>
>>3818846
they did not
they just fucked up releasing their 3D board (really badly -- everything the OG Neo Geo did right, the Hyper Neo Geo 64 fucked up, it wasn't the easy swap system like the original since you had to have the right board type to match the games, there weren't any third party licenses, cost, the games weren't that great, etc)
and by 2001, they were gone, they didn't have any time to make another attempt

on another note, the NGPC's fate is kind of depressing, there really wasn't a time from 1995-2001 where it could have been released and do well, and it didn't help that SNK was busy dying
because SNK actually did put out a fair bit of good shit

it died so quickly that I'm pretty sure they never released the NGPC link cable in the west despite the machine getting a (really) mild bit of popularity, I remember wanting one back then and no one had them
>>
>>3821238
I've got an NGPC link cable in an English language package. Pretty sure it's not imported.
>>
That port rustles my jimmies
>>
The GBC version was never released in Japan so it wouldn't have affected business even if the Neo Geo had been popular.
>>
>>3821238
Oh how about
—AES
—their failed CD console
—never porting most of their stuff to consoles in US
—barely making anything in non-arcade genre games like RPG
—making a handheld to compete with Nintendo when they were heading to bankrupcy already
>>
>>3818826
It's terrible. The image is cropped severely.
>>
>>3818794
SNK sold the IP. They had no say in what it got ported to.
>>
>>3818794
Why even ask that when they never had a problem with their Neo Geo games being ported?
>>
File: tumblr_nszplzdNMc1udwanoo1_540.png (135KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nszplzdNMc1udwanoo1_540.png
135KB, 512x512px
>>3818826
>GBC Crystalis
>Pretty decent port

And the retard of the day award goes to...
>>
>>3823915
The dumb frogposter.
>>
It was a good GBC game,
but a bad Crystalis game.
>>
>>3818794
I have always heard about this game, but have yet to try it. Good?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.