[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is gaming on the original hardware a much more preferable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Atari.jpg (74KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Atari.jpg
74KB, 640x427px
Is gaming on the original hardware a much more preferable than on an emulator?
>>
>>3818679
Yes.
>>
>>3818679
Depends really. I mean if you want to use an HDTV or don't have room for a CRT, may as well emulate.
>>
>much
Depends how accurate the emulation is
>>
Well, if we're talking Atari 2600, Stella is pretty much the definition of a perfect emulator, so going that route is a perfectly acceptable way of doing things.

That said, I much prefer playing Atari games on original hardware. I don't know why, there's just something about how simplistic that machine is that makes it so much fun to use. Plus, it's one of the best/cheapest systems to collect for nowadays.
>>
>>3818679

Ironic that you post an Atari 2600, which the console that you would rather emulate than play the original hardware.
>>
>>3818786
It's very interesting that the Atari 2600 has essentially been obsoleted by emulation after all this time. It suggests that over the course of many decades the same thing could happen to other consoles. Someday in 30 or 40 years when SNES consoles are impossible to find, maybe bsnes will constitute a "perfect" emulator that preserves that console and its library for all time. In a hundred years when there are no 20th century consoles left, people will probably study the games (academically even) exclusively through emulators, and that will be good enough to understand them from a sociological and artistic perspective.

Of course it feels a little silly to post this while all that stupid preservation-gone-awry stuff is happening with byuu right now.
>>
>>3818796

I think the big problem on the 2600 is the controller. Most of the games you have an unfair handicap because the controller doesnt live up to the challenge of many of the games. I grew up with the XEGS and i wish i had a Sega Genesis controller back then to play the games.

As for preservation, yeah, probably in 10 years more most NES/SNES games will be at the same price when they were new. Probably if the prices keep rising, someday we will have real clones of the hardware, pretty much like Brazilians do with the Master System/Sega Genesis.
>>
>>3818679
Usually. Although I prefer my handheld over my H6+CRT+++ when traveling.

>>3818796
2600 hardware has only been obsoleted for kids who want to play ET and lol about how much it sucks. There's other 2600 shit that you're not aware of. Nor should you be. It's mostly not impressive if you just want fuck around with the few fun games that work for you.
In 40 years I'll be 87. No one in my recent family history has died younger than that so I'm pretty sure my SNESs will be in the cabinet as usual. I play on master race hardware so I rarely take them out. There will never be no 20th century consoles left. By the time you imagine that might happen you will be able to get a new one and a cup of earl grey for a replicator credit.
>>
In most cases yes, the ones that aren't in that category generally are those that it's way too convenient to just emulate.
>>
>>3819239
>By the time you imagine that might happen you will be able to get a new one and a cup of earl grey for a replicator credit.
That's exactly my point. The physical consoles that were manufactured in the 20th century won't last forever. Maybe some will be preserved in museums, found in cabinets in old people's homes when they die, etc., but at some point they will become as inaccessible as Gutenberg bibles. But both future scholars and amateur enthusiasts will probably be able to understand the "culture" of these games, even after everyone who is alive today has died, because they have been preserved in a format that can be accessed by anyone.

In the future, maybe it will be because of bsnes that our replicators will be able to construct a functioning SNES. People have painstakingly programmed computers to "understand" how these consoles work, so even when the chips are no longer manufactured, even when silicon semiconductors are completely obsolete, future people will be able to understand how they worked and future machines will be able to reconstruct them.
>>
>>3818796
>people will learn about no-intro the same we people learn about the people who wrote down and collected sheet music
Man, what a world the future will be
>>
>>3820118
The only thing bsnes will do in the distant future is give psychologists an insight into autism in the 21st century.
>>
I would never play Banjo-Tooie again on original hardware when it could be played with a stable framerate on an emulator.
>>
File: IMG_1897.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1897.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>3818726
Agreed, playing emulated 2600 feels fucking weird to me. I'd rather play on a 5" B&W CRT at my desk.
>>
>>3820317
That's fucking adorable
>>
>>3820317
Holy shit, I have that same TV in the basement somewhere.
>>
>>3818679
Yes. Playing games on original hardware is liking eating a steak at a steakhouse vs eating a home cooked steak at home. It's the whole experience with all the nuances.
>>
>>3820530
I prefer eating steak at home....
>>
File: IMG_1616.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1616.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>3820427
Thanks! It's actually a pretty fun rig for RF only retro shit. I've been hunting high and low (locally) for a color set of the same size. I might have another pic around here... NES isn't as playable due to not really being designed with B&W TVs in mind. That said, I'm running into some issues with certain Atari games and not being able to tell what the hell is going on due to two shades of gray looking exactly the same.

>>3820457
You should dig it out! I'm just using a 1/8" stereo to RCA cable for the aerial RF lead. The 'left' channel sends a good enough signal despite not being shielded properly. I snagged it at Goodwill for like $5.99 and cleaned the shit out of it, it's actually a pretty solid radio as well. The one tiny speaker sounds excellent for whatever reason.
>>
>>3820607
Is 4chan just acting weird as fuck for anyone? My posts are just omitting half of my text, but I think everyone else sees it fine?
>>
>>3820612
Yeah it's been doing that for a while. Some guy in another thread swears he didn't include a wikipedia link in a post. He gave a screenshot to prove it but other people see it. Another post was apparently missing parts when views by others but not the poster. I had a post tagged as (You) that I definitely didn't make. I'm sure the faggots on /x/ have an explanation.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.