[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on Mode 7? love it, hate it? did it hampered or improved

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: mode7.jpg (42KB, 600x521px) Image search: [Google]
mode7.jpg
42KB, 600x521px
Opinions on Mode 7? love it, hate it? did it hampered or improved games? (let's ignore that F-Zero/Pilotwings/SMK exist for the sake of discussion and talk about games that used it occasionally)
>>
It's just a quasi-3d gimmick. It signaled Nintendo's aspiration to go fully 3D but everybody knew that was where gaming was going anyway.
>>
File: smw_reznor_us.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
smw_reznor_us.png
4KB, 256x224px
Most people seem to think that Mode 7 is only for that background effect on your pic, but it's mostly used for sprite rotation and scalation.
And yeah, sprite rotation and scalation is cool.
>>
>>3818568
>Most people seem to think that Mode 7 is only for that background effect on your pic, but it's mostly used for sprite rotation and scalation.
Funny you mention that, why do you think the background in your pic is black?
>>
>>3818571
Yeah, but it's used to rotate the woods that gold the Reznors' platforms, it's used for a 2D trick, not a pseudo-3D one, like most people seem to think Mode 7 is for.
>>
>>3818576
He's trying to tell you that's not a sprite it's a background layer.
>>
>>3818582
I know gramps, but I'm saying that it's not the same effect as the one on the OP's pic, which is the kind of thing that comes to most people's mind when it comes to mode 7.
Your post said it, "a quasi-3d gimmick", when for example the mode 7 used on the reznors isn't trying to be 3D at all.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 252x200px
>>3818550
Flying in FF6 feels pretty good, it's fast and I like how the camera tilts, but I don't really like how the effect is used even when you're in the ground, I prefer how FF4 and FF5 did (in the ground it's perfectly normal, but Mode 7 is used for airships).
>>
>>3818571
The SNES can have more than one background.
Nothing stops it from having a proper background and still use one layer for Renzor.
>>
>>3818550

Sega Cd is the only one that used that effect well since it could be combined with other scaled sprites.
>>
The best use of mode seven was in the Super Star Wars trilogy. prove me wrong.
>>
>>3818596
>nothing
Imagine the slowndow.
>>
>>3818617
What?
Just look at the OP. One layer for the ground (mode 7) and than a second background layer for the sky and clouds.

F-zero was the same. Mode 7 on the track, and then a second layer as the city skylines.
>>
It distorts images and creates ugly artifacts, so it's not something I want to be looking at for long. But used sparingly for effect it can be good.
Using it for the airship in FF4 and FF5 was good. Using it the entire time for the overworld in FF6 was bad.
>>
>>3818593
>>3818653
Damn, imagine what FF6 would be like with orthogonal map screens?

No surprise really, they messed up a few things from previous FFs. Like classes, they should have at least allowed Terra/Celes/Relm some exclusive spells (denied them to others).
>>
It did what it was supposed to but it was kind of unimpressive to me.

Even as a kid I just saw this shit and thought but why is everything still flat?"
>>
>>3818653
That can be mitigated by using a better source image in the first place. Stuff like overworld maps based on sprite-like pixel art as in the OP pic comes out looking gross, but if they were smarter about it in the first place it wouldn't be so bad.
>>
>>3818568
Mode 7 cannot rotate or scale sprites. Only backgrounds. If you make sprites into a background, then and only then can it be rotated or scaled.

Of course that means only one plane can be scaled or rotated at any one time.
>>
>>3818817
I know, read: >>3818584
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU6uzsb385U
>>
File: Castlevania_IV-013.png (53KB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_IV-013.png
53KB, 768x672px
>>3818817
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>>3818571
>>3818617

Mode 7 was a background layer and had color 0 transparency support, just like the others. I don't see why it would cause any additional slowdown.

>>3818891

That bridge is a background, not a sprite.
>>
>>3818645
When running in mode 7, there's only one BG layer, unlike most of the other SNES video modes.
There are a few options for getting around that:
>lay some sprites down to make the background up
>do palette changes mid-screen for a gradient BG
>change the SNES video mode mid-screen (as long as the mode 7 bit isn't overlapping the scanlines used by the actual background, you're good)

IIRC, F-Zero does the last option, which allows for the overlapping parallax (which wouldn't be possible if it stayed in Mode 7 for the entire display).

>>3818949
that bit does the first and last option I listed above -- the top line of bricks and the hud aren't in mode 7, but everything below it is, the "background" below is composed of sprites
pretty sure that >>3818568 could have easily had some "background" objects, though -- you can put a ton of sprites on screen and on each scanline

>>3818598
I wish the Sega CD wasn't bottlenecked so hard. It can scale and transform a lot at once, but actually getting it onto the screen at a reasonable framerate is a heroic feat.
>>
>>3818550
Eh tech reasons aside, I still have a love for it as it tickles my nostalgia gland, particularly in the case of >>3818891 , I'll never forget that feeling of "oh shit, no going back now!!"
>>
I wasn't aware people hated it. Yeah it was a gimmick, but it was a cool gimmick.
>>
>>3819110
it is such a cool gimmick that sega does it better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwW5y4rrvwk
>>
I love that shit

>>3819123
>that
>better
what
>>
>>3819123
>tech demo created by some homebrewer in 2015
>counting
fucking lol, you Mega BRAAAP fans are so deluded it's hilarious
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>3818550

I fucking love it. Whether it's a gimmicky world map like Terranigma or an actual gameplay aspect like F-Zero, I can't get enough.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.