[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any "lost" games? Games never emulated and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

File: ritsu question.png (194KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ritsu question.png
194KB, 500x500px
Are there any "lost" games? Games never emulated and are simply rare to begin with?

Comiket doujin games can fall in this category, how about actual console or arcade games?
>>
Socks the cat
>>
>Comiket doujin games
Old ones, i guess you mean. Nowadays you get Comiket collection torrents a few day after the event

As of the thread question, i guess all those regional adventure games that people sometime remember, ususally from europe. Those tend to appear on "games only you've played" threads.
>>
Polybius
>>
Bouncer
Vertexer
Primal Rage 2 until quite recently - go play that!
>>
Old asian phone games before ios/android. Ios games that only run on old versions
>>
>>3818507
Not every game is popular or good enough to get uploaded. I went to C91 and happened to go to town on Day 1 with the games, but other years its another story.
>>
>>3818494
About arcades, the first thing that comes to my mind is Ver-- anon beated me to it >>3818510
Vertexer is visually pretty amusing to me, even today, I really like the graphics and how everything is always changing as you progress, it's like a weird dream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-lVyYtkgRY&t

There's no public rom of this game, but I think some random guy has it as a "piece of collection".
>>
I'm sure there are hundreds of RPG maker games made in the late 90s & early 2000s which got lost to the nether.
>>
Has anyone ever tried to archive old video games so that they can't get lost?
>>
>>3818505
It's coming out
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socksthecat/socks-the-cat-the-video-game-based-on-the-clintons
>>
>>3818542
Besides all those emulator rom sites, there is also a (legal) software section on archive.org (with classic PC games, MS-DOS games and APKs)
>>
>>3818536
Imagine the thousands of games on floppydisk, long gone.
>>
>>3818508
stop perpetuating this meme, it never existed
>>
>>3818513
Second this. Nips have even remakes of old SMT and Persona Pinball at their phones.
>>
>>3818513
Frenzic for iOS was great but never took off. I can still download it but it doesn't work on my phone anymore.
>>
http://lostmediawiki.com/Roly-Polys_Games_(Rare_Japanese_Edutainment_PC_Games;_1997)
>>
>>3818494
Japan's got a bunch of rare-as-hell computer games. Like you have to wait years before copies show up online. And the sellers always want to burn a hole in your pocket with their prices.
>>
File: cityheroes-10.jpg (47KB, 320x253px) Image search: [Google]
cityheroes-10.jpg
47KB, 320x253px
city heroes, samsung
>>
File: sperisc1.jpg (109KB, 610x794px) Image search: [Google]
sperisc1.jpg
109KB, 610x794px
>>3818494
"Physical" arcade games both for the obvious reasons and because there aren't many people around who know how to repair them
>>
>>3820097
The magic word is "electromechanical" aka "EM" games and they are indeed rare and special.

https://youtu.be/i1WSYdn1b8I
>>
File: p04dvz38.jpg (247KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
p04dvz38.jpg
247KB, 1920x1080px
>>3818542
>Has anyone ever tried to archive old video games so that they can't get lost?

>>3818553

Other than emulators there is the Game Preservation Society, a Japanese group that has aims to archiving every single physical copy of every old Japanese computer game from systems like the PC-88, Sharp X1 and so on, and it's run by a frenchman called Joseph Redon. They restore old hardware too so the games are playable as they originally were released.
>>
>>3818494
Plenty.

Where in North Dakota Is Carmen Sandiego? for the Apple II series of computers for one example.
>>
>>3820132
What do they do with the archived games? Like if they make digital copies, do they just leave them on a giant hard drive for all eternity?
>>
>>3820136
That's half the point of old game piracy. Preservation.
>>
File: Capture.png (158KB, 1056x451px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
158KB, 1056x451px
>>3820136
>What do they do with the archived games?

They'll store them in some sort of vault so they are available to future gaming historians I guess? I dunno, it seems they like the original hardware and games more than ROMs and emulators.

>Like if they make digital copies, do they just leave them on a giant hard drive for all eternity?

I don't think they want to make digital copies of the games, the idea of Joseph Redon is to preserve the original hardware and complete in boxes copies of the games since the games themselves are (presumably) available easily on the internet, he got the idea from another group he was part of that is preserving physical copies of Amiga games called Software Preservation Society
>>
There are still a few Satellaview games that haven't been found yet, and others that can't be emulated by their very nature.

For the uninitiated, the Satellaview was basically the Super Famicom's version of SEGA Channel. You could download games and participate in special limited time events, some of them with broadcasted audio. There were a few exclusives for the service that are lost unless someone out there in Japan still has them saved to their Satellaview cart. Every so often a previously "lost" game pops up on the internet, but chances of us getting EVERYTHING are slim to none. Anything that relied on broadcast audio is out of the reach of emulatability for obvious reasons. Some people have made unofficial recreations of such titles though.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the SEGA Channel had a few lost exclusives too. Some sort of Garfield game or something?
>>
>>3820147
>tfw I have a surprisingly large amount of Amiga games backed up because they're less common
>>
>>3820257
Ironically called Garfield: The Lost Levels
>>
>>3820327
how did they know
>>
>>3818557
>suit detected
>>
>>3818542
I made an image of an early 3d fightan game that i havent shared yet because its so bad
>>
I guess this answer is kinda cheating but most MMOs will turn into this eventually unless someday in the future computers become so cheap and powerful that it's possible to run a whole City of Heroes server on a regular PC (if not a Raspberry Pi 11).

That's what's weird to me about MMOs. You work and grind and struggle more for your advancement than in any other kind of game, but it's also the only kind of game that is able to just vanish.
>>
>>3820257
>Some sort of Garfield game or something?

It was Garfield: Caught in the Act, it had either a prototype or an extended version with two extra levels. One of those, Alien Landscape, made it into the PC port. The other was I think a train section on Catsablanca.
>>
File: 496209-914801_53244_front[1].jpg (75KB, 640x912px) Image search: [Google]
496209-914801_53244_front[1].jpg
75KB, 640x912px
>>3820645
There's a whole new levels of NOT RETRO server side video game content that's already lost or at best entrusted to short-living corporations with only profit motivations.

Hopefully the teams that produce this kind of thing are big enough that they have at least one data hoarding preservationist with access to the servers.
>>
>>3820136
They should etch them onto Voyager style gold disks with instructions on how to play them. It might take less space to just include schematics for all the consoles than it would for instructions on how to get retroarch to work well.
>>
>>3820160
>Software
>Concerned with physical presevation
>>
>>3818494
there's an absolute ton of /vr/ arcade games that aren't in MAME (like, there's not even a skeleton driver) and are rare
>>
>>3820097
>>3820120
I wish there could be a compilation disc with simulations of electromechanical games. Stuff like Pro Pinball shows that mechanical games can be simulated well.
>>
A lot of Konami's latter 90s arcade games.

Battle Tryst, in particular, which even had guest characters from other Konami games, and was supposed to have guest characters from Castlevania too, which never made the cut
>>
File: roadrage_b.jpg (22KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
roadrage_b.jpg
22KB, 320x240px
>>3821095
Road Rage/Speed King, which is a Wipeout clone set in Snatcher's universe and featuring Gradius ships as racing craft, really interests me. It has only one port on the PS1 that is really shitty, the original arcade version is so rare there are basically no videos of it on the internet. All that's available is stills from the poster and forum posts by people who played the arcade game saying that it is indeed miles ahead of the PS1 port.
>>
>>3823194
meant for
>>3821115
>>
>>3823194
Fugggg, never heard of that one, sounds amazing. Latter 90s Konami were so fucking weird. A lot of the games they did then we're supposed to be ported to the M2, which was to be the successor to the 3DO. Some games even used direct M2 hardware for easy porting, like Mango did for the PS1. The M2 ended up being vaporware, so it amounted to nothing. Still so weird that so many Konami games fell into obscurity.
>>
>>3823506
Mango = Namco, bloody auto-correct.
>>
>>3820635
what game is it?

>>3820645
>That's what's weird to me about MMOs. You work and grind and struggle more for your advancement than in any other kind of game, but it's also the only kind of game that is able to just vanish.
Some argue that the community aspect of the MMO is what really makes it which is why I guess they don't mind that the game they're playing will be dead within a year or 2.

>>3821115
I don't recall Battle Tryst having guest characters. It honestly looks like a terrible video game with simple graphics compared to the competition. Konami had a much batter, later fighting game called Fighting Bujutsu
>>
>>3818528
>>3818510
yup, Shoutime wields a PCB of Vertexer

he refuses to dump it until he acquires a PCB of Distopia (the last game Toaplan produced before going bankrupt) in fear that if he dumps it beforehand all those underground japanese collectors he has connections to will blacklist him and no longer give him any rare PCBs
>>
>>3820063
This was the korean answer to streets of rage right? said to have been quite the video game before getting scrapped?
>>
http://lostmediawiki.com/Category:Lost_video_games
>>
>>3823558
http://lostmediawiki.com/Madness:_House_of_Fun_(Cancelled_Mega_Drive_Platform_Game;_1993-1994)

what the fuck
>>
File: cityheroes-17.jpg (43KB, 320x253px) Image search: [Google]
cityheroes-17.jpg
43KB, 320x253px
>>3823556
>answer
Carbon copy (if not outright sprite swap) more like.
>>
All discrete circuit video game will eventually dissapear because they are too expensive to replicate and by definition, they cant be emulated by software.
>>
>>3823603
check out DICE emulator
>>
>>3823537
>Konami had a much batter, later fighting game called Fighting Bujutsu
Bujutsu actually came out in 1997 would you believe it. Yeah, a year earlier. It's now somewhat emulated in MAME, which is something at the very least.

And yeah, Tryst has both Elein Shiee from Gaiapolis and Pastel from Twinbee as hidden guest characters. I always liked when Konami did that cross-universe kind of stuff.

>>3823561
Didn't know that footage of that had been released, that's cool. I'm actually the anon who commented on that page.
>>
>>3818494
Conquest of the crystal palace.
>>
>>3823591
i'd take cityheroes over streets of rage any time, senpai
>>
File: 7360.ChunLiGameOver.jpg (22KB, 286x320px) Image search: [Google]
7360.ChunLiGameOver.jpg
22KB, 286x320px
>>3818494
Back when this board was, young, friendly, actually tolerable, and very un-4chan-like, a regular practice on the bpard was to try to find lost games.

Games like Necrobius, Garage, Graduation 2, and Chu-Teng. Even some unlicensed chinese gameboy titles. It was pretty fucking rad and made the board feel productive and actually important in the large community and ecosystem of games.

I really wish the board was still like that.
>>
>>3818510
>>3818528
I really want to play Vertexer. Wonder how we got the soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB406e71cuU&list=PLwIB6-hLUdhK1nF2sbLHh1FWHiRxp2T47&index=1
>>
>>3820160
>I don't think they want to make digital copies of the games, the idea of Joseph Redon is to preserve the original hardware and complete in boxes copies of the games since the games themselves are (presumably) available easily on the internet
No they arent, and the idea of "preserving" old disks and cds is asinine. That shit rottens faster than you can say "corrupt data". Doing constant and periodic digital copies is the only way to truly preserve data but this is far from being this fag's objective, he just want to hoard stuff and be talked about on the internet.

They're sitting on tons of prototypes and never released games that have no digital version avaliable but still wont dump them because "muh integrity". TLDR he just wants to be a speshul snowflake.
>>
>>3825786
What..? how is this lost? I own a cart myself, so it can't be that rare.
>>
>>3826330
Console war, emulation and waifu threads are much more appealing to the new demographic.
>>
>>3826330
>first visit back to /vr/ today in four years

Fucks sakes are we not helping people actually get their game on anymore?
>>
>>3827486
/v/ came in during summer, the useless janitors and mod did nothing and now they're all over

The /vr/ we used to know is long dead.
>>
>>3826431
IIRC the soundtrack was released by Taito as some kind of bonus content on an arcade collection re-release which makes some people think they do have the code and just haven't released it because reasons.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.