[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anybody here got any experience creating games that can run

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: 1476953361369.jpg (82KB, 650x693px) Image search: [Google]
1476953361369.jpg
82KB, 650x693px
Has anybody here got any experience creating games that can run on a nes emulator? I asked on the technology board and was advised to come here. I can't program, but I'd like to just be able to print text to screen maybe and create some sprites that I can display with a nes emulator. I saw one video of somebody writing code to make a sprite fire bullets..it was like hundreds of lines of indecipherable text, and I just kinda decided programming wasn't for me. But I'd like to try and create something like a visual novel on a retro platform.

Is there software that can make a language like C or Javascript understandable to a nes emulator, or is it more complex than that?
>>
It might be easier to start out by romhacking. That way you can learn how the NES works within parameters you know won't crash the system, and once you know your way around it then you can think about doing something original.
>>
>>3817316
Java is a interpreted language, so that's not going to run at any reasonable speed on an NES (you'd also have to write a java interpreter), and C is for the most part still too abstracted, so the compiled C would be too large or inefficient.
Basically, Java and C will put too much overhead on the NES to run well.
You could probably get away with C on the SNES though.
>>
>>3817365

I might reconsider and look into doing it on snes instead. Is there a language you would recommend for something like this? I know its possible in theory, but not sure the best way to put the idea into practice. Maybe I'll start by messing with colors in existing roms.
>>
>>3817395
You might want to consider the gba platform, since you don't want 3d stuff. It's very easy to make a visual novel, but harder to do tile based games. Just search and use mode 3 while you code .
>>
>>3817395
I would recommend that you do assembly, if you're programming on the SNES.

>>3817404
Is probably right about the GBA. There are several good C compilers for it.
>>
>>3817365
You'll be able to find a C compatible compiler for the 6502 family, and you'll be able to get something out of it, but the processor doesn't go well with it. The performance will be really slow.
>>
>>3817420

is assembly the language the games were originally written in?
>>
>>3817470
Yes
>>
>>3817316
There are C compilers. You can use some off the shelf libraries written in assembly to handle the complicated stuff and do your high level shit in C.

>>3817365
Top kek kid. Do you even code. Are you aware there's even BASIC for nearly every 65xx system. Even the 2600? And that Nintendo made a thing called Family basic? What a fucking goof.

>>3817453
Maybe it's slow because you code like shit. What's what, you never even tried?. oic
>>
>>3818153
Fucking cancerous.
>>
>>3818153
No one said that java or C were impossible you imbecile, the just said that ASM is going to give superior performance.

Try making something like Recca or Solar Jetman with fucking Java on the NES.
>>
>>3818153
Written by someone who obviously knows fuck-all about the 6502.

OP, stick to assembly. The systems are actually very simple so it's not painful, with a decent macroassembler.
>>
>>3818164
That's exactly what was said. But I guess I shouldn't expect someone who thinks Recca or Solar Jetman are visual novels to have much in the way of reading comprehension skills.

>>3818234
Top kek kid. I was programming on 65xx systems before you were born.

OP, use whatever tools you're comfortable with. You can ignore the armchair engineers. They're just assmad they posted before they googled and ended up making fools of themselves. kek
>>
>>3818621
Would go fuck off back to stackoverflow please.
>>
>writing programs for the 6502 in any high level language
lol

anyway GCC can target the GBA's processor i'm pretty sure
>>
>>3819321
>some complicated parts
The whole fucking graphical subsystem was written in assembly.
>>
>>3819338
No just some stuff that you'd never us in something like say, a visual novel. Like, you know, what OP wants to make.
>>
>>3817316
Originally you could program on nes/famicom using g-basic/family-basic cart.
Not sure how that would work on emulator tho.
>>
/v/ is full of Apple-tier consumer retards, you won't find anything of use here.

http://www.romhacking.net/documents/
>>
>>3817316
>javascript
No
>C
There's the cc65 compiler (http://www.cc65.org/) that targets the 6502 and its variants, but you won't get typical code for a PC running on it unmodified

You should really start off with the NESdev Wiki: http://nesdev.com/
>>
>>3821665
>/v/
>here
sad but true
>>
File: 1485216226234.jpg (26KB, 275x295px) Image search: [Google]
1485216226234.jpg
26KB, 275x295px
>>3818621
>"That's exactly what was said."

>>3817365
>Basically, Java and C will put too much overhead on the NES to run well.

>>3817453
>The performance will be really slow.

point to me the word "impossible" in either of those sentences

>"I shouldn't expect someone who thinks Recca or Solar Jetman are visual novels to have much in the way of reading comprehension skills"
point to me the claim that those games were visual novels

>"hurr he shouldn't have to care one bit about hardware because he's not a professional just use libraries lol I will now bring up the advantages of BASIC"
spoken like someone who's spent decades writing C and machine code

The reality is an NES programmer is going to have to care about machine instructions and hardware limitations whether they want to or not. If you're not interested, pick a different platform.

>>3821665
>/vr/ recommends resources on 6502 assembly and hardware
>"hurr everyone here is retarded they don't know anything"
>links to resources on 6502 assembly and hardware
fuck off and die
>>
>>3822735
>assmad autistic rant
Kek. I have no interest in arguing with an autist. I Just wanted OP to know that yes he can use C for what he wants to do. You've proved your advice is useless by back pedaling and spergsplaining. OP's good. I'm good. You're butthurt. Life's good.
>>
>>3822972
>LOOK AT HOW HARD I CAN PROJECT
>>
you can't program, don't want to program, but want to somehow create the intended output of programming, and you want to do this for very old consoles?

wow kid
>>
>>3817316
that fucking image

is the cringiest one yet
>>
>>3823097
Give OP a break. He may be new, but it's not terribly hard to learn.

Yeah it'll take time, and it's harder than Unity where loads of work is done for you, but it could reasonably be done.
>>
>>3823008
We all saw. You can project very hard.

>>3823097
>wow kid
wew lad
Learning to program in C or Javascript is programming sport. No matter how hard core you want to pretend to be.
>>
>>3817316
No but good luck
>>
File: EXPERIENCE TRANQUILITY.jpg (38KB, 600x453px) Image search: [Google]
EXPERIENCE TRANQUILITY.jpg
38KB, 600x453px
>>3817316
https://github.com/gutomaia/pyNES

Here you go. I haven't tested this shit myself, but Python is very easy to get started with and it should let you tinker with getting some stuff on the screen. Good luck in your explorations!
>>
>>3824472
Wow. Nice. Not sure if that's finished enough to do what OP wants but it looks really good for a "proof of concept". Hope the guy continues developing it.
>>
>>3825351
Yeah, it does look petty nice, but the example code is still pretty much ASM.

Here's the example:

Example of waitvblank function:

@asm_function
def waitvblank():
BIT('$2002')
BPL(waitvblank)
RTS()

This is translated to:

waitvblank:
BIT $2002
BPL waitvblank
RTS
>>
>>3817316
>Is there software that can make C or Javascript understandable to a NES Emulator?

No, you will need to learn assembly to program for the NES. The guy who made retro city rampage released a set of developer tools to create NES games, though.

You won't have enough memory to create any kind of "novel".

The fact you are asking for advice on 4chan is enough proof that you will give up on this in less than a week.

Genesis is much easier platform for amateur programmers.
>>
File: shot1.gif (19KB, 464x508px) Image search: [Google]
shot1.gif
19KB, 464x508px
>>3817316
maybe go for Genesis instead of NES and look into basiegaxorz
it's not terribly difficult at all

>>3817365
you can get away with C on most platforms, although you would need to be aware of certain things that are more expensive than you'd expect (like actual function calls)

but pointer arithmetic and array notation are worth it even if you write the whole thing as one big-ass function with gotos and liberal amounts of inline asm
>>
>>3825562
Careful, you're going to trigger Autisimus Maximus.

>>3825582
>you can get away with C on most platforms, although you would need to be aware of certain things that are more expensive than you'd expect (like actual function calls)
True, although the point was if you try to use C like you would for any modern system, it's going to run pretty terribly.
Either way, OP is going to need to learn at least some ASM.
>>
>>3825492
The python examples are under pynes/examples. That's an example of how to write and call an assembly function.

>>3825562
An actual valid point on the memory. Without a huge rom and bank switching you're not going to accomplish much in the way of a visual novel. Assuming multiple disk card images isn't an option.

>>3825582
basiegaxorz is great and easy to use but most likely the Genesis isn't meme enough for what OP wants to do.
Also, be careful. If you mention basic ITT you're likely to trigger the kid who recently learned what assembly language is.
>>
File: 1389207759006.jpg (74KB, 500x481px) Image search: [Google]
1389207759006.jpg
74KB, 500x481px
>>3825562
>No, you will need to learn assembly to program for the NES.

sdcc, which is a C compiler, can target the NES. sdcc makes more efficient machine language than a newb programmer can glue together in asm.

I'm not discouraging learning and using 6502 asm, just pointing out that it is completely feasible to write for the NES in C (if you know C) and have the program be faster and more efficient than if you only have a few months of 6502 under your belt.

>You won't have enough memory to create any kind of "novel".

If you insist on trying to have a hundred backgrounds that aren't assembled from a smallish tileset, or having every character with full facial animation, then sure. If you constrain the number of locations in your novel to a couple of dozen and use multiple palettes to get extra mileage out of your character data, you can certainly make a long and complex visual novel.

>The fact you are asking for advice on 4chan is enough proof that you will give up on this in less than a week.

This is probably true. I'd like to encourage more people to program, so I will help anyone.

>>3825643
>Careful, you're going to trigger Autisimus Maximus.

Oh fuck, he got me didn't he?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.