[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's get this shit going. The only rule to this: Legality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: emulation.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
emulation.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
Let's get this shit going.

The only rule to this: Legality is not an argument. Fuck the police, lol.
>>
all of the NES nintendo re-releases from Wii on have had a shit dull fucking color palette.

thats all.
>>
>>3817018

What the fuck is that supposed to tell us? Higan or Retroarch's NES cores don't screw with the color palette.
>>
>>3817021

uh they All screw w the color palette. there were only 63 colors. Shoutouts to NESten's warm palette in them days. was the most accurate.
>>
>>3817027

Yes, if you run those games pixel perfect. Try some CRT shaders.
>>
>>3817036

ill stick to my console and Everdrive thx
>>
Original hardware is better but more expensive. If money isn't an issue go with original hardware. If it is an issue emulate.
>>
>>3817051
Whats better about it using the original console?

I'd say Emulation is better.
You know since:

Its free.
Region Free
Almost100% Compatibility unlike everdrives
Shaders
Save States
Sprite Limit Removal
Overclocking
Custom Palettes
Rom Hacking.
Translation Hacks
Can use any controller you like.

Though I suppose you cant play duck hunt.
>>
>>3817018
Yeah, Wii virtual console was an astonishingly bad emulator, on the other hand the virtual console games on the Wii U that were ported by M2 were astonishingly good
>>
>>3817064
>Though I suppose you cant play duck hunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgnnMQLC3Vs
>>
>>3817012
>emulation
>legality
>original hardware
Welcome to /vr/ champ. The place where people 18+ are free to discuss games legally emulated on original hardware. Such as nintendos latest turd. How's your first day going so far?
Have you managed to fool anyone on the 18+ thing?
>>
>>3817090

OP here. I'm 30 and have been emulating for the past 15 years. Started on ZSNES playing Secret Of Mana on the keyboard with crackling sound. Back then I would have jumped the original hardware bandwagon but with the means of emulation available today I don't see the point.
>>
>>3817151
Well that's just sad. I woulda thought someone your age would know better than to fall for the "emulation is illegal" meme and run around shouting fuck the popo with your bad ass gangsta rom stealing. Obviously I was very wrong.
>>
>>3817064
Accuracy versus frivolous bullshit. I don't give a fuck about ROMhacks.
>>
File: fuck video games.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fuck video games.gif
2MB, 500x500px
Original hardware
---------------------------
Pros:
-Looks cool
-Accuracy
-Feels

Cons:
-Price
-Might need modding and external devices to get best quality out of
-Takes up space
-CABLES
-Requires maintenance

Emulation
----------------------

Pros:
-Literally free
-Easy to get great quality out of
-Takes up no space
-No maintenance
-What cables?

Cons:
-Accuracy
-No feels :(
-Doesn't look cool :(

Sidenote: You can purchase purchase flashcarts which reduce the cost of playing on original hardware significantly although some don't support all games, SNES is an example
>>
Original hardware will degrade over time. More consoles and game carts will decay beyond playability over the decades. Official digital re releases from things such as Nintendo's Virtual Console will delay the inevitable as these services shut down and newer console break and decay.

Millions of people have digitally stored ROMs of these games and there's no shortage of people willing to archive and freely distribute them. Emulators can relatively easily be updated to work on new versions of Windows and Linux, and a similar amount of people are willing to preserve and distribute this software.

In terms of game preservation, emulation is absolutely necessary. It will exist as long as some sort of digital peer-to-peer file sharing exists. Nintendo and other companies could go tits up tomorrow and decide that they no longer want to support emulation of older games on their platforms, and these old games would quickly die. You would have to get rid of the entirety of the internet to stop PC emulation.
>>
>>3817064
>Its free.
Not really an argument of why it's better, just stating real hardware may not be worth it.
>Region Free
There's usually a way to get around this unless you wanna play games designed for NTSC when you have PAL, or vice versa. Then of course there's speed issues.
>Almost100% Compatibility unlike everdrives
True, but only important for roms you couldn't normally play on the system anyway. That, and save states.
>Shaders
Most of them are based on how a CRT looks. If you want that, just play on a CRT with your preferred cables. If you wanna use HQX or some shit, you have a point. But I never liked that look personally.
>Save States
Everdrive.
>Sprite Limit Removal
>Overclocking
>Custom Palettes
Yeah, real hardware can't really imitate these abilities.
>Rom Hacking.
Advantage for creating, not for playing.
>Translation Hacks
Everdrive.
>Can use any controller you like.
Again, real hardware can't really imitate this.

I personally prefer real hardware, partly because I like collecting, and partly because I worry about accuracy. But emulation is a great alternative for the systems that are accurately emulated.
>>
>>3817615
Because everyone serious enough about retro gaming to consider getting real hardware is definitely gonna use VC as their main method of emulation. Also, you forgot to mention how the emulators themselves aren't illegal, but the roms are. Too bad you didn't clarify that, now everyone in this thread is still gonna be stuck in the dark.
>>
>>3817012
Emulator depending on the accuracy. NES seems to be near perfect but I'm not PS2 anytime soon.
>>
>>3817012

Cycle accurate emulation only, hardware for everything else.
>>
>>3817668
>I personally prefer real hardware, partly because I like collecting, and partly because I worry about accuracy.

You can download the full collection from NES roms instantly.

Only none accurate emulators that we are aloud to talk about on this board are for the N64 Saturn and Dreamcast. Three consoles people dont tend to give a shit about. Everything else is better to emulate.
>>
>>3817012
Look, when I was a kid I had systems and games coming out of my ass. Great times. Still even have some of collection to this day. Am I happy about that? You bet.

I'm 38 years old now. I had the "authentic experience" when it was still new and relevant. I lived through the so-called "golden age" people like to remember fondly. I don't necessarily need to live it again with actual hardware. I don't have the room, the finances, or the motivation to try to start collecting for old systems I loved as a kid, let alone something like "completionist" collecting. I just don't have it in me.

Enter emulation. Where I'm not only playing ALL of my favorite games from back in the day again, I'm also playing ALL of the other games I missed back then. Total cost? Zero. Just a little bit of my time and bandwidth to get things downloaded and set up.

I didn't play Little Samson back in the day, and I sure as hell couldn't afford to do so now with the prices and rarity as they are. That said, I did recently get to play it. You can guess as to how. Had a good time with it. I don't disparage anyone for collecting and enjoying original hardware. If you like it, I love it. I'm just not the guy to do it.
>>
I had a NES until I was like 9 or 10, did one of the DUMBEST things ever and gave it to my then friend (this was like 94). There was a few times where I thought of getting a nes again, but I for whatever reason never did, I love my sega genesis have over 100 games, 5 years ago I had a chance man to get a nes, but I just think fucccck another system to collect a shit ton of games for? ehh.
Add so I never bought it, always just emulate it and I am fine with that.
>>
If a genie magically appeared in front of you right now and offered you all the video games you'd ever want, but you had to choose between emulation and OG hardware, what would you do? (PS: no reselling or genie kills everyone you love)

In otherwords, factor out things like cost and scarcity. I think nearly everyone is going to chose the hardware option, and the rest are savescum babies who fastforward through RPG battles.
>>
>>3820840
Do you have any idea how much space every game I would want would take up? I don't live in a mansion and I'm not one of those mutants that dedicates one or more rooms in my house to shelves of games. If I ever need to transfer them it would be a nightmare. I'd take a hard drive filled with a few hundred gigs, maybe even a couple terabytes, of ROMs.

Also, when I have the ability to fast forward in an emulator I quickly forget that the option exists and I mostly quicksave when I'm paranoid that the emulator will crash. I would do the same on hardware if I had the option.
>>
File: OHYEAH.jpg (34KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
OHYEAH.jpg
34KB, 400x400px
I use original hardware because I love to collect cartridges and cd's and games, and emulation just doesn't feel right to me. I mean, lets just say that I can emulate an N64 game on pc, I'll do it if I already own the game, because then, whats the trouble? But to me, I just hate playing old console games on a keyboard, I love the controllers. Besides, unless the game has some mods I can install for better graphics, then I might by a USB n64 controller and try it out.
In fact, for me, I've set up emulation rules. people should only emulate videogames if the either already have a copy of that game, if its a ROM hack, or if it is otherwise impossible to get. (Lets say, a Japanese copy of the game, or if the game was never released.) Another reason I don't pirate is that sometimes, its actually illegal. You might say, "Oh, its an NES game, Nintendo isn't selling that game anymore!" Well, you should check Nintendo virtual console first, because they're selling retro games there too, and if you get it for free, that's not helping Nintendo at all.
So in conclusion, just buy the original hardware, you'll be cool and all of your nerd friends will gawk over your collection.
>>
>>3817012
I'm like 95% convinced that I have Asperger's or some ASD so I just love collecting and shit. That or I have a tremendous gaping hole in my life that I pathologically attempt to fill with something else. Probably both.
>>
>>3817012
>Fuck the police, lol.

Keep acting tough that's really gonna scare them from putting your thieving ass behind bars.
>>
>>3817018
Probably to avoid seizures attacks.
Japanese companies are very conservatives about this problem.
>>
>>3817012
Emulators
-Input lag

Real Hardware
-No input lag

Stay blind, emukiddie. Once you get real hardware there's no going back. They don't even compare.
>>
>>3820901
b-but i don't notice any lag! how about you git gud lol
>>
>>3817012
Just played through thunder force 4 on a raspberry pi after having played the Saturn port throughout the last week.

The input lag is definitely noticeable. I used to think it was a meme, but I noticed it when playing super mario world the other day too.

It's sort of a mindfuck, I always thought you guys were being autistic and imagining things / trying desperately to justify spending $200 on physical copies of games you could play on your computer for free when talking about input lag, but sure enough it is real.
>>
Shitty question. "What are you using it for?" Need to train for some retro tournament? Trying to do speed runs? You pretty much need original hardware and a CRT.

But I find emulation with a good shader looks MUCH better on a modern 1080p set than original hardware that the TV is scaling itself. For casual gaming on modern video equipment, emulation is king.

And yes, please do fuck the police. They appreciate it.
>>
>>3817012
I like emulation, although I also like playing on hardware. I've got stacks of burned PS1 games because of that, even though I own several dozen things that can emulate the system.

emulation does have raw convenience (auto savestate on close is amazing for anyone who has a life -- being able to immediately just jump back to where you were when you get home is wonderful, being able to load pretty much anything you want on demand without having to pay through the nose for it from resellers or buy a flashcart/modchip, and you can use whatever USB controller you like, I use a pair of PS1 SCPH-1080s for everything) and optional enhancements (for example, if I'm playing PS1 games I can fix the texture distortion issue, run at higher resolution, increase positional accuracy so things don't jitter so much, smooth the textures if I'm a piece of shit, etc)

hardware has accuracy (for example, I'm pretty sure that Terry's stage in MOTW is still fucked up in MAME, playing on my friends MVS made me notice, and some MAME versions regress and made it jittery when it used to scroll smoothly, even if at the wrong speed) and guaranteed minimum input delay

>>3817018
Adjust the display, the Wii outputs fairly dark colors on VC in general.
also, the NES is a nightmare to deal with regarding colors, outputting a fairly out-of-spec color signal, there's no real consensus on what colors an actual NES is supposed to display

>>3820840
sure everyone will pick hardware of course, but that's entirely because this isn't a decision unless the genie kills me for going and downloading the entire GoodNES [!] set or whatever
>>
I played emulation fornlike 6 years but it had its issues. Like i could never emulate ps1 or anything higher that great almost to the point of unplayable. Also some n64 to titles didnt loom right. All the 8 amd 16 bit games where flawless. Anyways i realised that buying the consoles and the actual games every now and then isnt too expensive and it feela great to have the console there and to slap in the game. No save states so u have to play the games properly and die a fuck ton of times but itd so more rewarding when u beat it. Currently over the last 2 years i have collected nearly all the games and consoles i wanted. It makes my work life easier cause now i feel like im actually working for something enjoyable. Im always on the hunt for any games people are just getting rid of cheap. Picked up silent hill and a bunch of other ps1 games last night and felt great haggling for the right price.

In short go the original console
>>
>>3817649
>>3820840
>>3820862
All my consoles and games take up a small shelving and i have a lot. The trick is to not collect EVERYTHING just the shit u actually want. We all arent avgn's over here
>>
>>3817076
Currently experimenting with a few possible solutions

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Presenter-Laser-Pointer/dp/B002GHBUTU/ref=pd_lpo_147_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3PGKW0AFAWYKD3XQXENQ
>>
>>3821091
That's why you need both. Emulation helps you cheaply decide what is the shit you actually want.

I didn't realize I couldn't go through life without my own 7800 and copies of Asteroids, Joust, Centipede, and Food Fight until emulation revealed the truth to me.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.