[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the /vr/ approved method of playing PS1 backups on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

What's the /vr/ approved method of playing PS1 backups on a PS2? I have freemcboot installed.
>>
>>3816484
That PS logo is missing something very important
>>
There is no soft mod method other than using emulators like popsloader and they don't have full compatibility. either get a mod chip or use a swap trick with psxlauncher.
>>
>>3816487
thank you
>>
Get a ps1 and put a modchip in it.
>>
>>3816484
Psxlauncher with a good CRT, or if you're unfortunate like me where there's no listings for good CRT's, something that accepts component input and a 240p signal.
>>
>>3816484
The only way to play PS1 properly is force the machine to invoke PS1 mode, which is done using the laser I believe, meaning you gotta pop a disc in. I previously used Popstarter through USB and SMB but the results were all over the place.
>>
File: raidendx.png (317KB, 706x866px) Image search: [Google]
raidendx.png
317KB, 706x866px
>>3816979
Forgot my pic

At least integer 2x through component looks nice for 2D games.
>>
I wanted to play PS1 imports on my PS2 and got a Freemcboot card, but mine didn't come with swap magic.

Someone showed me the swap trick in this video a couple days ago:
https://youtu.be/UTx9l6XFBlU

I tried it on a PS2 fat with a flip top case and I finally got it after 30-40 minutes of practice and rewatching the video. A PS2 slim that's been lid-sensor modded would be an easier way to do it.
>>
>>3817023
So install swap magic?
>>
>>3817028
Is that an option?
>>
>>3817038
Yes of course. Either put it on a USB stick and copy it over using your file browser or if you don't have a file browser either copy both of them over ftp.
>>
>>3817042
am I looking for an iso or an elf?
>>
>>3817028
Still gonna need a flip top or a magic key to physically swap discs on a fat.

Or am I missing something?
>>
>>3817050
I thought OP said he had a flip top.
>>
If you've got a flip top and at least one game, PSXLAUNCHER.elf. If you've got a phat, fucking give up. You'll have an easier time installing a modchip than trying to use Popstarter for anything.
>>
>>3818359
Flip top is a toploading case mod for fats
>>
This is getting real fucking confusing for n00bs. Please stick to clear terminology.

A flip top case is not the same as a PS2 Slim and they need to be differentiated.
>>
So if I have a PS2 slim with freemcboot, one legit pressed PSX game, and a way to keep the lid sensor from triggering, can I use PSXLAUNCHER.elf to run playstation isos over a network like I can with OPM?
>>
>>3818428
No. When the PS2 is in native PS1 mode it can't access the network or the hard drive or the USB or anything like that. You gotta run from disc
>>
>>3818436
So it sounds like psxlauncher is just an aid for the swap trick.
>>
>>3818448
Pretty much yes. It just stops the disc spinning and waits for you to press a button, similar to how a Goldfinger or Sharpshooter does on a regular Playstation.
>>
Buy a launch ps3.

Enjoy the universal playstation machine + still relevant media platform.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models
>>
>>3816484

I used to just burn whatever the swamp magic for ps1 disc was called and booted it with the ps2 swap magic disk.
>>
>>3818526
What's even better about this is that in a short span of time your PS3 will automatically upgrade into a glorified paperweight, unless you jailbreak it and control the temps, besides modding its fan, albeit it will still be extremely unreliable.
>>
>>3818592
Agreed. After 8th gen launched and chasing a working 4-usb PS3 with breakable firmware in the wild for six weeks or so and looking at their prices online I just bought a $50 PS3 and a flip top case when some appeared on eBay out of France.
>>
>>3818526
They're too unreliable to be worth the effort. Source: I bought 3, returned them one after another because they were all junk and got a Super Slim instead. I use it all the time. PSN has most of the good PS2 games available for like $10, and it plays PS1 games as well as all the other PS3s. Also it's tiny and cute.
>>
>>3818627
Agreed. It's a bitch to find a fat ps3, they're unreliable, and it's a bitch to downgrade/hack. They're wonderful if hacked, but it's so much damn effort. I enjoy my legit collection of ps1/ps2 downloads on my super slim ps3.
>>
>>3818526
If you want a first party HDMI PS1 party box, I recommend picking up a PSTV even though the reality is a Pops exploit isn't out yet for it. I don't recommend getting a phat PS3 because there's a fair chance it may die. PSTV allows up to 4 pairings of Dualshock 3 or 4. It's also a micro console and fits in your pocket. Like I said a 3.60 exploit for Pops bubbles is not out yet so the only option at the moment is Retroarch which may or may not be ideal.
>>
>>3818359
I have a flip top on my phat. It's a case mod. And it's not hard to install.
>>
>>3818526

Do not do this. I had mine hacked, had the glue cleaned out prior to purchase and even controlled the fan temp via homebrew like an autistic nut and it still fried itself. They're literally made to die, there's no way around it.

That being said, hacked newer PS3's are good for Playstation support. The one drawback is the console can't output at 240p which breaks some games and makes it look like interlaced shit on any CRT.
>>
>>3816484
There isn't one. Curious why you'd want to do this when PSs are a dime a dozen. Would another console take up too much space next to your wifes sons retron?
>>
use POPSTARTER!!!! I'm playing ps1 games RIGHT NOW on my PS2 fat with freemcboot from a USB key (no HDD nor ethernet adapter). It works like a damn charm and I have been doing some researches this week on this topic: this is the best option you will get without having to swap discs.
>>
>>3820186
That's only a good option for some of the games though. Compatibility is still too patchy for a wholehearted recommendation
>>
>>3820186
>best option without having to swap
yes
>it works like a damn charm
hell to the no

It sucks, a ton of games are not supported or are severely flawed. By the way, I personally found that Pops on PS2 is different than Pops on PSP. For example, Rollcage Stage II plays on PS2 but not PSP.
>>
>>3816484
Do you have a Slim PS2? I've found the easiest way is to just cover the thing that tells it if the tray is closed and swap a real PS game with a burnt one. I've played pretty much every PS game that way since I bought my Slim and there's never been a problem, other than the tape coming off while playing and making me lose my progress
>>
File: 41KwcuECfIL.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41KwcuECfIL.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
>>3818420
This. When someone says to get a flip top, they mean get one of these case mods for a phat. They don't mean get a slim.
>>
Can you back up a memory card to a flash drive on a PS2 with FreeMcBoot?
>>
>>3822163
dont know about flashdrive, but you can do it through FTP.
>>
Whats the best emulator for PS1 these days?
>>
>>3823850
PSP
>>
>>3820186

popstarter is garbage, might as well just emulate desu
>>
>>3816484
What? Just play on slim model PS2
>>
>>3820337
>>3818420
But a slim works exactly the same and you don't need to buy anything extra.

If you're not trying to run your games off a hard drive it's the cost effective way to go for PS1 + PS2
>>
>>3820337
Why buy a fat for disc swapping when you can just use HDloader?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.