[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people like JRPG's? I can think of hundreds of games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 25

File: Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg (18KB, 250x248px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg
18KB, 250x248px
Why do people like JRPG's? I can think of hundreds of games I'd rather get on the Playstation than those expensive JRPG's, and yet, those are what many collectors seek. To me they seem boring, and I have no real interest in collecting them.

To me I prefer anything action, racing, or even puzzle / strategy oriented on the PS1 (example, Tomb Raider, Wipeout 3, Doom, Dune 2000, Metal Slug X, and even platformers like Spyro, Klonoa, and admittedly Harry Potter.

Looking forward to getting new games like Space Hulk, Tail of the Sun, and R-Types to name a few.

But Lunar, Grandia, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy, Arc the Lad etc just have little to no appeal for me, and with their prices, I'm like maybe I'll get one, but for the rest, not even going to bother.

So my question I propose is this
>why do you like JPRG's?
>and if you were to reccomend 1 JRPG for me to pick up and play (something with long gameplay) and just one that I'd love and adore, which game would you reccomend?
>>
I'm only a Final Fantasy fan when it comes to JRPG's.

Like, yeah I guess the Chrono series was good, for all two games they had, and Legend of Dragoon was okay.

But, really Final Fantasy 8 is my GOAT game.
>>
>>3815804
>But, really Final Fantasy 8 is my GOAT game.
OP here. funny you mention that, because that's the one Final Fantasy game that peaks my interest the most.
>>
>>3815806
It's great man. There's a lot of hate out there for it, but I can never understand where it came from.
>>
>>3815797
>Blah blah blah JRPGs are horrible
>Blah blah action is where it is!
I already know, JRPGs are something that you either like or you don't, I'm tired of this kind of discussion since the nineties.
>>
>>3815797
Not counting story (which is the obvious answer) the fun of playing a JRPG comes from micromanaging all your stats/skills/equipment upgrades and adapting strategy during fights. It's a constant unlock/reward mechanism. The FF series for the most part is a bad example because most mainline games don't excel at any of these.

Its not for everyone. I can't stand puzzle games and think they're boring as shit, but that doesn't make them suck.
>>
File: Screenshot (70).png (4MB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (70).png
4MB, 2736x1824px
Even if you don't like the show, glance at the latest episode of 'The amazing World of Gumball', they take a jab towards specifically jrpgs (and more specifically FFVII)

I think there are just different type of people with different taste in entertainment, I'd never play anything that has to do with racing. I find it boring, but I understand that someone could like it.

For the most part i think RPG players in general like to experience a certain progression in their games, they want to feel the character grow, be autistic about the item placement in the menu and complete all quests to 100%... almost a bit OCD, but hey, lots of ppl like that.

If you like action-oriented RPG's you could maybe try something like Tales of Symphonia, it has all the stats and spells but you control the characters on a battlefield in realtime and use button combos to cast spells or make special attacks.

Other than that:
>Grandia, Breath of Fire, Suikoden, etc...
>>
You either like them or don't like them. you might like strategy rpg's like Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre and Fire Emblem series, though.
>>
File: chrono-cross-cover.jpg (98KB, 640x610px) Image search: [Google]
chrono-cross-cover.jpg
98KB, 640x610px
Because it was insanely rare for action, racing or puzzle games to have good stories that take you on long journeys - and JRPGs were the closest thing to novels with characters that grow and change.

Contra and Mario have never exactly told gripping narratives.
>>
File: mygm.jpg (261KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
mygm.jpg
261KB, 1080x720px
>>3815820
>JRPGs are something that you either like or you don't
Perhaps, but I am willing to give one or two a shot man.

>>3815821
>micromanaging all your stats/skills/equipment
I could see that being a huge appeal, even for me. And that might be where RPGs differ from game to game. So are probably more story based than others. Whereas others might be more focussed on leveling and finding cool weapons n such.

It is difficult for me to get invested in a story with sprites. This might be one reason why I think FFVIII might be more fun. It has a darker feel to it, with less of an anime art style. Thanks for bearing with me with my question. Im sure this topic gets brought up a lot but I don't lurk too often on /vr/. Huge PS1 collector though. These are my games, just some highlights of the kind of stuff that i like to play.

If you have any RPG suggestions for me, I'm down to hear it.
>>
play a game like final fantasy tactics or tactics ogre
out of the ones you've mentioned I'd try vagrant story since it focuses more on gameplay than story
but don't force yourself to like things, I know I don't
>>
>>3815797
>>why do you like JPRG's?
Because they offer me something other genres don't, like micromanaging, planning and setting up strategies, some even have pretty cool worlds to explore and some decent roleplay.
>which game would you reccomend?
You don't even know which kind of game you like, so it's a pointless question.
If you want games with deep systems and replayability there's the SaGa series, but they're so different from the rest of the genre in terms of mechanics they're more of an acquired taste than anything.
If you want something more focused on worldbuilding and exploration with some decent amount of roleplaying there's Metal Max or the Shin Megami Tensei series.
If you want some classic, light RPGs with more focus on the story and characters there's FF, DQ and tons of other games like Chrono Trigger, the Mother series, Lunar, Xenogears etc.
If you want action/turned based hybrids there's Valkyrie Profile, Legaia, Legend of Dragoon or Solid Runner.
If you want some more action-y RPGs there's Ys, Tales of, the Seiken Densetsu series or Alcahest.
If you want TRPGs there's Der Langrisser, the Ogre Battle series, Vandal Hearts, Front Mission, Fire Emblem and so on.
And this is without going into japanese CRPGs like Lunatic Dawn, which is more or less the japanese Ultima.

Basically, just take a shot at whatever and see if it clicks, the japs came up with a lot of crazy systems, you just need to find what you like.
>>
>>3815806
it's also the worst. If you want to be turned out from the genre forever, play it. The amount of hate for it isn't unwarranted
>>3815813
>There's a lot of hate out there for it, but I can never understand where it came from.
it's like you ignore the arguments against it. Not much ago there was a thread about FF8 discussing its downfalls

OP, if you want to play a JRPG to see what the deal is, try Chrono Trigger (SNES version unless you like never-ending PS1 loading times).
>>
>>3815968
There are no downfalls in FF8, though.
>>
I'm an RPG player/collector but to state it bluntly the reasons JRPGs are highly in demand are

>They require little to no skill (widely accessible)
>They immerse you in authentic period culture

There's of course their cult popularity at the time leading to reasons on the supply side too but that's basically why almost everyone wants RPGs in their collection.

Both those things could of course also be said about period literature but apparently ain't nobody got time for no book learnin' anymo.

Actually Final Fantasy 7 and Harry Potter 1 have sold about the same amount of copies
>>
>>3815806
>that's the one Final Fantasy game that peaks my interest the most.
I don't hate FFVIII with the vehement nature others do, but I wouldn't recommend that for someone trying out the genre, it's way too polarizing.
Get FFVII, if you don't love it (or at least like it) then there's nothing there for you.
>>
I like jrpgs but if it's just the typical turn based gameplay with nothing unique I won't be into it. Games that mix some kind of element of action into it are my fucking jam. Like the final fantasy ps1 games have a great system you can toggle on/off where enemies attack you if you wait too long to move. There's also a cool down period after a character moves before you can use them again, so it's important to make each move count. You can turn up the battle speed so that enemies are almost always attacking and there's almost zero cool down, playing this way on max speed is crazy. If you aren't moving through menus at lightning speed and selecting the right options like two or three times per second you'll get fucking wrecked. It's actually a pretty intense experience, and I had to turn the battle speed to 2/3s max in order to keep up. There are also games like the Mario RPGs where you have timed hits and action commands, which basically make each attack its own little minigame.

The idea that all jrpgs are just "select attack, get hit, select attack" is wrong, even if there are plenty of games out there that are like that (and the ones that are usually have a higher emphasis on strategy, because otherwise they're just kind of a shitty game).

For a first jrpg I'd probably recommend ff7 since it has that system I mentioned earlier, but I believe 8 also has it. You could also try Mario RPG on the SNES, it's basically designed to be a person's first and get them into the genre.

And before anyone jumps down my throat for attributing the atb system to the ps1 FFs, I know the SNES games had then as well but it wasn't as good. Even at max speed in the SNES games there are times you're just sitting there waiting to move again.
>>
>>3816152
try playing the DS version of IV with the speed set to max
it can get pretty tense
>>
>>3815968
>OP, if you want to play a JRPG to see what the deal is, try Chrono Trigger
thanks man, ill give that a shot

>>3816027
>Actually Final Fantasy 7 and Harry Potter 1 have sold about the same amount of copies
haha, id believe it.

>>3816152
that sounds pretty exciting
>>
>>3815804
>But, really Final Fantasy 8 is my GOAT game.

Mah nigga.
>>
>>3815806
Final Fantasy 8 is literally the only FF game I've ever enjoyed. People seem to either love it or hate it. I love it.
>>
>>3815797
I like JRPGs for a couple reasons.
- Tactics. I like planning out complex tactics that make full use of a game's mechanics.
- Adventure. JRPGs often feature interesting worlds that you journey through.
And of course there's other factors like music which contribute to atmosphere and immersion which are a part of most video games.
Some of my favourites include the Fire Emblem and SaGa games, FE5 and romasaga2 in particular.

Another way to look at JRPGs is as puzzle games. Consider each boss battle as a puzzle, and the adjustments you can make to your party composition, equipment, tactics, etc. are the things you do to solve the puzzle.
>>
>>3815797

They talk directly to my completionists tendencies and I find them super addictive.
>>
>>3815797

You have to appreciate a slow burn.
>>
>>3815797
>im poor
>sour grapes
lol. Some people like them. Not my favorite genre but I enjoy some. I can afford $0.50 for a PIC so there's that as well.
>>
>>3815797
For me it's the pace and crescendo of the leveling up to beat tougher and tougher bosses. I play games from all genres, but when I just want to relax, take in a story, I go to the Final Fantasy series and its kin.

I highly recommend playing FF8, go for getting all the GF's.
>>
>>3815797
Because JRPGs are the genre of games that have the most artistic credibility and value of all the video game genres. As others have pointed out the have the strongest stories, tend of have the best OSTs, and immersive game worlds. Not saying other games can't have artistic value, the ones that do tend to be exceptions, not the rule as in rpgs
>>
File: bomain.png (47KB, 956x587px) Image search: [Google]
bomain.png
47KB, 956x587px
>JRPG

lmao this genre is european
>>
>>3815797
This genre is popular because the japs can't beat anything remotely challenging.
>>
>>3815797
You clearly just don't like the genre, dude. It's fine, it happens. Just be an adult and move the fuck on with your life.

I swear, there are the stupidest fucking threads on this board lately.
>>
When I was a kid I didn't have a lot of money to spend on video games and I always thought JRPGs were a better value since they had a longer playtime from start to finish than most genres.

As an adult I've realized a 40 hour run time doesn't really count for much if the bulk of the game I'm playing is just mashing the A button through dialog and random battles like in FF7.
>>
>>3816692
What's an A button?
>>
>>3815797
Weaboos like everything that's Japanese.
>>
>>3815897
Oh my god, Top Shop! That was such a hidden gem that pretty much noone knows about. It was one of my favorite games to play, back in the day.
>>
File: 120px-Gamecube_Button_A.png (16KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
120px-Gamecube_Button_A.png
16KB, 120x120px
>>3816696
>>
>>3815897
>I am willing to give one or two a shot

Honestly, the only turn-based games I ever recommend to people who hate turn-based stuff are the Shin Megami Tensei games, especially Nocturne (even if it isn't "retro" technically).
>>
File: Lich_psp.png (15KB, 180x188px) Image search: [Google]
Lich_psp.png
15KB, 180x188px
>>3815797
I've recently got interested in JRPG's, because of watching overlord.
Why there is no game where you are the villian?
>>
>>3815797

They don't have any choice.
>>
>>3815821
I agree, this is a big appeal for me. Unfortunately there are so many JRPGs where there's little micromanagement possible. I like games where you can choose which skills to power up, but many JRPGs lock you into this 'grind until you get X skill then grind until you get Y skill' path.

It's why I love games like Etrian Odyssey and Bravely Default so much when it comes to modern games. Old-school JRPGs can be very dull 'press A to win for all battles' shitfests.
>>
>>3817103
>Why there is no game where you are the villian?
Why do you make statements regarding things you know nothing about?
>>
I dunno, something about JRPGs are soothing to me. Maybe it's just autism and enjoying the nice digits in battle, or how music, art direction and story come together to deliver an experience. I also enjoy exploring the various mechanics JRPGs have like the materia system in Final Fantasy VII. Also silly minigames are fun in JRPGs. Playing Metal Saga now and really enjoying it.
>>
>>3817120
I meant why there are no more games, where you're the villian.
In regards for retro games.
>>
File: xenokino3.jpg (139KB, 800x496px) Image search: [Google]
xenokino3.jpg
139KB, 800x496px
>>3815797
JRPGs are more for intellectuals - simplistic sports, shooter and platformer games are for simple-minded people.
>>
>>3817103
Dark Half
>>
*why do people like jRPGs with random encounters

FTFY
>>
>>3815797
Star Ocean 2.

the things you have to do are a bunch, and there are 46 (if i remember correctly) endings. Which your choice of characters will reflect the ending. you can easily play one play through for 200+ hours if you have no idea where to go or how to solve a puzzle in a certain cave...
the story line is a bit unique with a bunch of 90s cliche properties. but all in all it is probably my second favourite jrpg (some may say it is an action-rpg) but the qualities are all there for a jrpg.
the battle system is similar to a tactical play mixed with action mixed with turnbased.
but it does have some negative qualities, but is to be expected. there are two times you have to grind... (both are optional, yet highly recomended. you can spend 30+ hours trying to get through the cave at the near end.) then after a few quests in the beginning to save up money to get an item earlier.
the other is the abundance of endings.
>>
>>3815797
I think Crash, Klonoa and Spyro are really shitty kids games. Opinions, man.
>>
>>3817249
I don't understand half the terms this image is using.
Also
>ranking anything worse than Xenosaga II
>>
>>3815797
Better gaming time for the price.
>>
>>3817080
And you press that when you play Final Fantasy 7?
>>
>>3817131
That doesn't make you any less ignorant and wrong.
>>
File: 1487852053956.jpg (150KB, 800x580px) Image search: [Google]
1487852053956.jpg
150KB, 800x580px
>>3817249
I really, really, really like this meme.
>>
OP here.

I think I'm going to go with either....

Legend of Mana
Star Ocean
Final Fantasy VIII

those seem somewhat up my alley. or maybe even xenogears.
>>
>>3817691
FF8 nigga. you know you want to.

play that card game
get into it
get all the GF's
renzokuken is best limit break in Final Fantasy history and you can abuse it bro.

Pro tip, leave squall at low health entire playthrough, but make sure you stock up on phoenix downs and save often.

high risk, high reward.
>>
>>3817691
Star Ocean. Skip the first and go straight to the second, don't bother with any of the other games.
>>
>>3817665
What does Dzieto mean?
What is the purple figure next to Kino meant to represent?
Is this arranged from left to right in terms of power level?
I have just left the theatre after sitting there for 2 hours.
Of course Dzieto would never be shown to the public and I don't waste my time or damage my soul with lowbrow movies or flicks, but how do I know if I what I just watched was a Kino, a Cinema, or a Film?
>>
>>3817784
you killed the thread i dunno wtf you're talking about
>>
>>3817691
>Everyone argues about why FF8 is a woeful choice for a newbie in the genre
>still wants to play it

I hope you're a teenager because if you don't, you'll hate it

See ya later in RPG threads posting "WTF do people see in this genre, it's absolute shit!"b
>>
>>3817784
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzie%C5%82o
>>
File: REEEEE intensifies.png (262KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEE intensifies.png
262KB, 600x600px
>>3815797

My god.
My GOD.
It's almost as though people have different preferences, and enjoy different things!
*inhale*
>>
File: ZeldaCinema.png (552KB, 800x496px) Image search: [Google]
ZeldaCinema.png
552KB, 800x496px
>>3817665
>>3817249

I wanna play too.
>>
File: 71722456.jpg (34KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
71722456.jpg
34KB, 250x250px
>>3815797
>why do people have different likes, dislikes, and opinions than me?
autism the thread
>>
>durr taste is subjective!

Not an argument.
>>
>>3815881
/thread
>>
>>3815881
If I wanted a story, I'd read a book. But I'm not an obese man child who can't relate to any thing besides anime characters. JRPG "stories" are trash compared to movies and literature. Hell, they are worse than manga or comic books.
>>
>>3816165
Currently going through the DS version on full speed with the setting that enemy movement doesn't pause speed.

Getting my shit kicked in constantly but damn it's fun.
>>
>>3819357
Post a picture of a book you consider "literature".

With timestamp.
>>
>>3819029
>Majora's Mask not Dzieło,
>>
>>3819420
yeah, it can get even harder if you mess up your augments
that's my only problem with the game, it doesn't explain the augment system very well
otherwise it's one of my favourites
>>
File: FunIsABuzzword.jpg (189KB, 940x1020px) Image search: [Google]
FunIsABuzzword.jpg
189KB, 940x1020px
>>3819352
Go back to /v/.
>>
>>3815797
For me it has always been clean, I like them because: Characters, situations, another world to see and explore, music, equipment, levels, skills, heroes & villains and the usual moral teachings.
>>
File: 1421309149227.png (1MB, 1596x777px) Image search: [Google]
1421309149227.png
1MB, 1596x777px
>>3815826
I've never seen an episode of this show before this episode but that was pretty funny.

>Make it stop!
>I can't! There's no command to skip through his cutscene!
>>
>>3815972
The story falls apart after the first disc.
>>
>>3815797
If you want a JRPG more focused on story then I highly recommend Xenogears. If you want a more lighthearted feel that focuses more on adventure then Chrono Trigger. If you want a good mixture of dark and light then Earthbound.

I don't recommend Arc the Lad, I only played the first one but it was boring as shit.

>>3815806
If you're not sure how you feel about JRPGs yet then save 8 for later. Play 7, 9 or the SNES games instead. Tactics is good but a bit different from the traditional JRPG.
>>
>>3819426
the fuck do you need a timestamp for? how about the sound and the fury?
>>
>>3815797
I used to love JRPGs. But that was back when I was a tween/teen and was still laboring under the delusion that Japs could tell a good story.

I also used to like the tactical game play of JRPG battles, but now that I've played through several dozen of them, only SRPGs and abnormally difficult JRPGs like the Shin Megami Tensei series really do anything for me.

It's weird though, no matter how much I loathe the idea of playing through a final fantasy game whenever I'm looking for something to play through, I still consider each of them an indispensable part of my collection. Probably for the nostalgia value, because I used to consider JRPGs high art.
>>
>>3819465
This is my first time playing FF4 and I'm at the cave where you're not supposed to use metal. Am I supposed to know about the augment system? I either don't know it's called augments or forgot they existed.
>>
>>3819812
you definitely should've given item lore, curse and another augment to palom and porom
doesn't matter now, just play on
>>
>>3819842
Oh ok I just didn't know it was called augments.

Did genuinely feel bad with Polom/Porom's story though. Hope they return like Tellah did.
>>
>>3819547
To confirm that you actually own the book and aren't just talking out your arse. This is 4chan.
>>
>>3815797
2 words
ANIME TITTIES
>>
>>3820000
>like Tellah did.
haha ;_;
>>
If you split your soft into two different stacks of 50, then combine them into a single stack.. you'll know what to do.
>>
>>3819518
>For me it has always been clean, I like them because: Characters, situations, another world to see and explore, music, equipment, levels, skills, heroes & villains and the usual moral teachings.
Well said. OP here. I ended up buying Final Fantasy VIII.

Thanks for the input guys.
>>
>>3815797
>Why do people like JRPG's?

An engaging story (obviously subjective and infrequent).

The other reason being I enjoy a lot of the combat and leveling systems. The bad ones are just hammer X to win, but the good ones are really engaging. I'm also a fan of puzzle and adventure games. I approach jrpgs from a completionist/puzzle mindset.

>he doesn't know bait

It's just delicious.
>>
>>3815797
>To me I prefer anything action,

Ys series, tales series
>>
>>3815797
I do not like them so
>>
you should be able to keep playing after you beat FF7

like, be able to finish up any non-sequential side quests, and talk to all the NPC's again who would have atleast one new line of text to add in some closure to the game.
>>
>>3815797
They are Visual Novel that don't assume what they are, so they fill it with "random ennemy encounter" and "combat" that involve no strategy at all.
>>
>>3820014
i don't own every book i've ever read, i check them out at the library usually. you sure are autistic
>>
>>3815797
they're like giant fantasy novels, think lord of the rings. easy to get completely sucked in to them.
>>
>>3817328
There's double that amount of endings actually

2 different main characters that influence who is able to join your party, up to 12 party members (on the psx), choose as little as 2 or up to 8, 4 active characters can go to battle, lots of skills and item creation, talent system, private actions, able to turn any two characters into friends or lovers, hidden dungeon of 13 floors with no save points, and so on.

This game can be as casual or as brutal as you want it to be. Unfortunately I only played through it once because of the sheer amount of gameplay that you do, but I made sure to accomplish everything, from beating the hidden dungeon and the secret boss after the dungeon too.

One of my all time favorites
>>
File: 5566664.jpg (375KB, 700x994px) Image search: [Google]
5566664.jpg
375KB, 700x994px
>>3815797
Sometimes their simplicity is welcomed. I only really like DQ, Mother, and pokemon since they aren't as "philosophical" and boil down to "kill god". Sometimes all I want to do is travel around a game world, fight monsters, and make allies. Their is a satisfaction in my opinion of seeing your characters grow.
>>
>>3820014
You've got issues, man.
>>
>>3815881
>>3819356

> good stories
>>
>>3819357
JRPGs are usually related to being anime/hentai hybrids nowadays but the stories that some of them have are extrenely compelling (Persona, some Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, etc). The other aspect of sitting down mindlessly reading a book doesn't appeal to me as much as being an actual part of the story.

RPGs in general are based off of amazing stories. My favorite example is The Witcher 3, which so far has done a better job of telling a story than books do. Partly because you can choose your course of action, experience masterfully made music, see the reactions on some of the character'a faces, and also requiring skill to pass.

A well-made game story (not only JRPG) > book in experience. Although I am inclined to agree that some manchildren only relate to anime titties (coming from /g/), they usually stick with that Osu game to be fair.
>>
>collecting PS1 games

Bro, CD-Rs.
>>
>>3821618
>the stories that some of them have are extrenely compelling
No, they aren't. Maybe if you're 7?

>Mindlessly reading a book.
You know when you read you have to use your imagination, right? As opposed to just staring at visuals and music being spoonfed to you?

>being an actual part of the story.
You are just pressing "attack" and watching numbers go up and down. You do the same thing while reading by playing with a calculator.

>Amazing stories
Citation needed.

>Witcher 3
lmao

I take it you haven't read any actual classic works of literature if you describe persona, final fantasy or chrono trigger as "amazing stories."
>>
>>3821643
no one gives a shit, anime poster
>>
>>3821643
>classic works of literature
Books are for plebs lmao. Just staring at pieces of paper is compelling for you? You must be autistic or something

Do you do taxes for fun? Name any classic works that are actually good (pro tip: there are none), then get off of /vr/ as this is a video game based board and go back to the reddit hole, /lit/.
>>
>>3821676
>autistic
>pleb
>reddit
Nice, resorting to ad hominem memes cause you're too retarded to come up with an argument. Pathetic.

I like plenty of games btw, I'm just not some illiterate man child who has to play JRPGs for "amazing stories" because I'm perfectly capable of reading.
>>
>>3821695
You're claiming something subjective as fact.

Still haven't provided any examples, animeposter.
>>
File: notto_disu_shitto_agen.jpg (58KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
notto_disu_shitto_agen.jpg
58KB, 640x360px
>>3821695
>>>/lit/
>>
>>3821702
Do you honestly think JRPG stories for children on a calculator game are on the same level as the Sound and the Fury?

>>3821708
good argument dude, really showed me. Any more epic image macros?
>>
I'm Japanese and I play some JRPGs, and surprising that some of you like to play it
(in Japan, we hear JRPGs have a bad name in overseas).

If you play "traditional" JRPG, I recommend you to play Saga Frontier 2.
I like all of this game, system, character, sound, and stories (in this game, "history").
>>
File: 1439115130252.png (204KB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
1439115130252.png
204KB, 800x750px
>>3821730
>Sound and the Fury
>That book I read in High School
I was expecting a legitimate answer like Stephen King books or Transcendence lmao.

It's different tastes. You like daydreaming like a baby while staring at ink on paper? Go for it dude I've seen weirder shit on 4chan. If you're scared of a challenge, physical labor, a real story not written by tranny hipsters, then that's fine too.

Just go to reddit where it's encouraged to assume objectivity in a purely subjective argument.

>>>/lit/ for discussign your "classical" literature.

There's plenty of places to shitpost. If you really go out of your way to shitpost on a japanese anime board then I feel sorry for you.

For reference, Fahrenheit 451 is my favorite book from HS :^).
>>
>>3821731
Can also recommend Saga Frontier 2

>>3820037
Getting my ass kicked by the Dark Elf's second form and that goddamn dark breath. Might have to turn down the speed for the first time, I don't want to grind and make the rest of the game a breeze.
>>
>>3821789
focus three times with yang (with fire claws) while he's in his first form
kill his first form with firaga
then kill the dragon with a powered up punch from yang
>>
File: 1486500092618.jpg (14KB, 210x263px) Image search: [Google]
1486500092618.jpg
14KB, 210x263px
>>3821782
>It's different tastes. You like daydreaming like a baby while staring at ink on paper?
>If you're scared of a challenge, physical labor, a real story not written by tranny hipsters
>physical labor
>challenge
>sitting down in front of a television for 16 hours a day constantly hitting one button
>this is what autistic weeaboos really think
Aahahahah holy shit
>>
>>3821798
No tengo fire claws rip
Can I focus more than 3 times? Gonna try out now thanks anon.
>>
File: cerny.jpg (7KB, 185x273px) Image search: [Google]
cerny.jpg
7KB, 185x273px
>>3821731
>SaGa weeb pretending to be japanese
>>
>>3821830
I think 3 is max
>>
>>3815797
I think it's autism. I've only played a couple of JRPGs and the most fun part in my opinion was spending a few hours drinking and grinding so that I could steamroll everything in the rest of the story.
>>
File: IMG_20170225_150424.jpg (2MB, 2400x3200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170225_150424.jpg
2MB, 2400x3200px
>>3821850
Thanks familia
>>
>>3821731
>I'm Japanese
Sure thing aniki.
>If you play "traditional" JRPG, I recommend you to play Saga Frontier 2.
Eh, SaGa Frontier 2 is only "traditional" in terms of being turn based, you're telling people that a game with no EXP, invisible fixed stats, sparking, comboing, channelling and other kinds of madness is traditional when it's far from that.
Oh well, at least it is virtually linear compared to other games in the series, but I wouldn't casually suggest people to play SaGa Frontier 2, it's a great game but it's not or everyone.
>>
>>3821782
JRPGs aren't "challenging" dude, you just grind. I like actual challenging games where you are, you know, doing stuff and not just watching the numbers go up and down.
>>
>>3822653
Not all JRPG's allow you to grind mindlessly.
>>
>>3822653
>Not doing lowest-level-possible runs on every RPG you play
Heh. Nice try, casual.
>>
>>3822653
Almost any gane can be boiled down to watching numbers go up and down. If grinding makes the game easier then don't fucking grind.
>>
>>3822682
>I have to purposely limit myself to make this game challenging
Protip: if you have to do something like this then it's not a challenging game at all.

>>3822860
>Almost any gane can be boiled down to watching numbers go up and down.
Incorrect

>If grinding makes the game easier then don't fucking grind.
Here's a better idea, how about playing a game that's contingent on reflexes and muscle dexterity instead of shitty autistic spreadsheet simulators
>>
>>3822865
>how about playing a game that's contingent on reflexes and muscle dexterity
Because not all video games need to be exactly same?
>>
>>3822860
>If grinding makes the game easier then don't fucking grind.
This.

If you have to grind for hours to beat any JRPG that isn't Wizardry you suck at video games.

Especially Final Fantasy games, people do level 1 runs of that shit all the time. Figuring out strategies to beat bosses without just mindlessly leveling up is when turn-based RPGs actually get interesting for me. It's also fun to see if you can sequence-break into areas you're supposed to be too weak to visit.
>>
>>3822878
>Because not all video games need to be exactly same?
They don't, but don't call JRPGs challenging because they aren't. Challenge means it's actually difficult for a lot of people to accomplish. Everybody on the planet with a few exceptions can press a button over and over again when prompted to, that's not a challenge.

>>3822889
See >>3822865
>>
>>3822865
A self-imposed challenge is still a challenge, but I get what you mean.

I agree with you that grinding is shit but I don't agree with your comment about reflexes and muscle dexterity though, not everyone has those things and I think strategy is more interesting than being able to push a button fast enough.

Too bad there's very few turn-based RPGs that reward or outright require strategy and planning ahead to win.

I'd like to see more traditional turn-based RPGs that do away with EXP and levels altogether, or which increase your character's power at specific intervals during the story (Legend of the Ghost Lion comes to mind). Just make it so fighting monsters gives you more treasure or something.
>>
>>3822925
What did you think of Quest 64?
>>
>>3822860
The games are easy with or without grinding. If you think JRPGs are a "challenge" you're retarded. Try 1ccing and arcade game or something.
>>
>>3822891
Dark souls m8
Its a JRPG
Its a RPG developed in Japan so it counts motherfucker. Hence the name japanese role playing game.
>>
File: 1487544180857.png (208KB, 824x542px) Image search: [Google]
1487544180857.png
208KB, 824x542px
>>3822996
It's not turn based therefore proving my point
>>
>>3822975
Challenge doesn't just mean reflexive skill.

As long as something is difficult it's a challenge. I play a lot of action games (especially fighters) but I'd still have to say the hardest game I've ever completed was either Dragon Warrior 2 back in the day or getting the Star Ocean 4 Platinum.

I mean, how can a game challenge you more than trying to break your soul, break your will, and to actively make sure no sane human being would try and beat it without cheating?

Batboons nearly drove me to suicide in 1991, and I think some guys almost died playing Final Fantasy XI because there used to be a boss that took 18 consecutive hours of combat to beat. I've never seen an arcade game try to murder anyone.
>>
>>3822891
I can think of a few JRPGs (especially SRPGs, if they count under that umbrella) where I'd get totally wrecked if I didn't have a game plan.

There are definitely turn-based games that require effort and strategy to beat, just because everyone can select something from a menu doesn't mean they're automatically a master strategist.

Of course, the difference between a turn-based game and a real-time game is that if casuals get really stumped they can just follow a guide. But cheating doesn't invalidate that the game itself posed a challenge.

I mean, stuff like Sudoku, Scrabble and Chess still require intelligence even though you can technically just be a fag and google the solution/best play possible.

That's why I like Roguelikes and other turn-based games with random elements that can't be 'solved'.
>>
>>3815797
What game is this?
>>
>>3822925
EXP and levels themselves aren't the problem. The problem is that the game allows player to grind. If they limit the number of monsters on a level/map, then there won't be any grinding.
>>
>>3823142
Hmm. Not a bad idea.

It does stand to reason that after killing so many baddies in one dungeon there eventually wouldn't be any left.
>>
>>3823142
They don't need that, some games have ways to circumvent this. On standard experience point and level up mechanics some games give you full experience at certain levels but when you start to go a bit over leveled not only do you need more experience to level, but you get much less experience from defeating those enemies to the point that it would be a waste of time.

Though I find SaGa's mechanics much better than any other JRPG's when it comes to character growth, if it is one of the games with racial mechanics or the natural growth ones.
>>
File: 1453673971062.gif (186KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
1453673971062.gif
186KB, 678x422px
>>3822865
>a game that's contingent on reflexes and muscle integrity
If you mean shit like Dark Souls with mindlessly memorizing enemy movesets after hours of grinding then no thank you.

I personally am a fan of Witcher 3, but even that is button mashing at some point even on Blood March (or whatever the hardest difficulty is called) and under leveled. With strategy games, there's some serious planning that needs to be done to take on the hardest super bosses (i.e. Ultima Weapon in FF8).

There's something called "strategy" that some people enjoy, things that require planning and managing and patience. This can be brought down with some JRPGs (i.e. FF4 >>3819420) where there's much less time to react and you need to be ready to make quick selections and decisions.

I'm a fan of Brutal Doom, MGS5, TW3, older FFs (Haven't beaten 15 yet), and even some CnC/Civ. Branch out some more instesd of shitposting on an imageboard claiming your one purely subjective narrow POV is superior to other people's purely subjective narrow POV.
>>
>>3822653
>JRPGs aren't "challenging" dude, you just grind.
You grind in all kinds of game, dude. What do you call spending hours on Mame repeating the same bubble stage over and over again?
There's also many games where grinding is either impossible or heavily punished, you would know if you did play more games than FF.
And you're greatly overstating the challenge provided by action games, the vast majority of them are extremely easy with the only truly difficult ones being some arcade SHMUP at high difficulty setting, and only because they're tailored to eat your money with pretty unfair bullshit no one can beat feasibly without grinding the same stage for hours, any genre has its challenging games, turn based or action based.
>>3823142
There's no need to limit monsters, just make them get much stronger faster than you do like SaGa does.
SaGa actually pretty much understood what makes a player overpowered in turn based RPGs and RPGs in general, grinding levels and cure abilities, that is why the series did away with both to the point that the last game has just two ways of healing, one which is pretty convoluted and slightly RNG based and the other requiring you to know how to learn one of the two cure abilities in the first place(and only one of them is actually useful) and survive long enough to use them in battle.
>>
>>3815797
Many people have no actual skill at games that require timing, platforming or thought. SO they play this junk
>>
>>3824086
>Muh twitch reflexes: the post
>>
File: zell_rocks_by_naughtyboy83.jpg (199KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
zell_rocks_by_naughtyboy83.jpg
199KB, 1191x670px
why would balamb gardens allow their teenage pupil to get a slutty lower back tattoo on his face?
>>
>>3824495

I like to assume he did that himself, and they just weren't going to make it worse by pointing it out.
>>
>>3815797
>"Why do people like stuff? Why can't people only like what I like?"

This must be the most stupidest and selfish thread ever that isn't even ironic.

Retard, people have tastes. That's all.
>>
>>3824495
why doesn't any ask him about it during the entire game?

Like, you don't see a single other character with face tattoo's, and I can only think of like one with any actual tattoo's anyway.
>>
>>3820702
>i don't own every book i've ever read, i check them out at the library usually.
What a shitty excuse. Get out of here and read books in your 'library'.
>>
Is there a cookie/browser version of some old FF game I could play while I'm at work?
>>
>>3824509
>google "play ff online"
here's the first result

http://en.gameslol.net/final-fantasy-vi-969.html
>>
They had a rather indepth plot, world, and cast of characters in most cases. Easy to pick up and learn. Great game length to cost ratio even if it's all padding with the random encounters, they pulled off the illusion well. And what I suspect is one of the bigger draws is the eye candy. These games could afford to make use of some pretty spectacular special effects compared to real time action games and it's fun to see stuff like that. Of course nowadays any big game will have good graphics and effects but back then nothing really had stuff on the level of JRPGs in that department.
>>
>>3815797
I, on the othetr hand, only like turn based rpgs. I hated alundra and even star ocean 2. I even hate atb and turn it off where possible
>>
>>3825052
I always hated ATB. Either be turn-based or not, picking things from a fuckhuge menu of junk spells and items while enemies can still take their turn is fucking stupid. And even if it pauses on menus, waiting for the little bars to fill up is pointless and boring.

I love Star Ocean combat though.
>>
Why do people call games like Earthbound a Dragon Quest-like?
>>
>>3825117
Because it has nearly identical gameplay, minus the rolling numbers gimmick?
>>
>>3824086
Nothing is preventing people from playing action orientated games and JRPG's.
>>
>>3825124
How?
>>
You can't post in this thread unless you've beat the Emerald & Ruby weapon.
>>
>>3825190
It's a turn-based RPG with a front-view battle system where you issue all of your commands at once and can either attack, use MP to cast magic, use items or run away. It has a world map which you explore from the top-down perspective, NPCs to talk to, treasure chests, traditional RPG equipment and level mechanics, random encounters and bosses which you must defeat to advance the plot, as well as multiple party members which you recruit along your mostly linear journey towards the final boss.

What ISN'T Dragon Quest about Earthbound besides having a quirkier fantasy setting?
>>
>>3825237
>What ISN'T Dragon Quest about Earthbound besides having a quirkier fantasy setting?

Earthbound is good.
>>
>>3825237
>It's a turn-based RPG with a front-view battle system where you issue all of your commands at once and can either attack, use MP to cast magic, use items or run away. It has a world map which you explore from the top-down perspective, NPCs to talk to, treasure chests, traditional RPG equipment and level mechanics, random encounters and bosses which you must defeat to advance the plot, as well as multiple party members which you recruit along your mostly linear journey towards the final boss.
that describes about every fucking SNES rpg
>>
Which Final Fantasy would you people recommend I play after I finish 7 if I think the combat is the weakest part of the game? I absolutely hated FF1 as well.
>>
>>3825237
Earthbound doesn't have random encounters.
>>
>>3826082
12, and 15 have very different combat schemes. 8 does too but it's mind bogglingly complex
>>
>>3815797
Idiots who fall easily for skinner box shit even if the gameplay is absolutely brain dead
>>
>>3815797

>Why I like JRPGs

Weird stories about weird people with barely matured relationships?

>Check

Simple battle systems that do not involve in depth overthinking or strategy, but minimal customization and engagement?

>Check

Cool looking outfits on just about every single character and NPC?

>Check

Excellent soundtracks?

>Check

Talking cat with fiery tail and edgy tattoo?

>Check

Excellent pet feature with GOAT tier side quest?

>FF7 Check

Summoning deities from the depths of a pixelated hell to devour an entire screen of enemies in one hit?

>Check

qt 3:14s in sexy outfits with cool knives?

>Check
>>
>>3819314
More like why is a genre with such awful gameplay so well regarded. Hell the most popular ones are "ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK " autism for most fights yet you'll see them being treated as the finest examples of gaming in a lot of places.
>>
>>3822682
And then it just becomes more about luck with rng than actual skill and planning for most jrpgs.
>>
>>3824143
Better than the garbage gameplay you find in this genre desu
>>
>>3826082
5. Its combat isn't great either, but the customization before battles is much more interesting.
>>
>>3826137
>yet you'll see them being treated as the finest examples of gaming in a lot of places.

So like Zelda, Mario, Street Fighter, Ninja Gaiden and all the other grossly overrated garbage people talk about everywhere?

90% of people are casuals with low standards, more news at 11:00, only people with no knowledge of a genre would ever believe that the highest critic or popular ratings are actually the finest examples of what a genre has to offer, that's something /v/ would shitpost about, people on /vr/ should know better than dismiss an entire genre on the premise of its most popular titles being shallow, because that's true to all genres.

People here used to know better than mindlessly shitposting just to get reactions out of people.
>>
>>3826161
Yeah but 5 doesn't have the production value that 7 has. I don't think I'd enjoy it. When the combat's boring and repetitive, the only thing worth playing for is the flash. I don't think I can regress.
>>
>>3826346
The combat is straightforward, but definitely not repetitive. You get new possible strategies constantly thanks to the job system. Playing rpg for the spectacle alone is pretty sad.
>>
>>3826460
I seriously doubt these "new possible strategies" evolve past "use your most damaging spell and then heal before they kill you". You --just-- said "Its combat isn't great either". If FF7 is anything to go off of you just exploit raw damage, since a whole lot of spells are completely unreliable, especially against bosses. I tolerate the game's combat. That's it.
>>
>>3826530
A lot of the fun for me, is micro managing the resources.

I mean, sure when you're level 99 and have all the materia maxed out, why wouldn't you just w-summon KOTR and mime all day, but that's because all that's left is super bosses.

The journey is about micro managing resources.
>>
>>3826530
Now the unreliable spells part is completely untrue in regards to 5. You can damage some bosses by healing them, reflect their buffs off them, manipulate their level, use status effects like mute, sleep or berserk. Few bosses are straightforward damage sponges, even filler bosses like the bombs encourage out of the box thinking.
>>
>>3815826
>"I forgot to save, I FORGOT TO SAVE!"
>"It's too late, the cutscene already started!"

That episode was too good.
>>
>>3826032
And all of them are Dragon Quest-likes.
>>
>>3825237
>>3826032
What about Wizardy?
>>
>>3827436
Wizardry has enough distinctions that separate it from Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest style RPGs. Hell, "Wizardry-like" is pretty much its own genre.
>>
>>3825103
Funny, I love atb and love it for being a hybrid of turn based and real time. Different strokes I guess.

Though I think it's worth mentioning you can rearrange your menus outside of battle. Put your best and most used stuff near the top and it shouldn't ever take long to find what you need. Increasing battle speed makes waiting usually a non issue, and I like that it's sometimes better to wait a second or two before moving, so you'll have someone ready to do stuff immediately after an enemy attacks. It adds a layer of strategy and planning.

Not saying you're wrong for not liking it or anything like that, just trying to explain what the appeal of it is.
>>
>>3827563
Fair enough.

Only ATB games I can recall playing were Final Fantasy so my opinion is probably skewed.
>>
>>3819528
>>3815826
>>3826789
So how does it feel to be born in this 2000s?
>>
OP, to understand the JRPG you first need to realize the JRPG was a product of its time: a time when the customer either got a game for the action gameplay, or the story-based journey. A good JRPG in its heyday meant you were going to get a decent story with some memorable characters and more strategic gameplay with stat-based mechanics. And even if it wasn't all that good, you were still going to get some kind of an adventure and at least a few dozen hours out of it until completion. If you wanted an interactive book/comic book, or a virtual DnD session, while getting what many considered the best bang for your buck, you played an RPG. Additionally, console action games weren't as impressive as their arcade counterparts so the JRPG genre was a good fit for long sessions on home consoles.

Also, realize that the appeal of an action game is completely different than the appeal of a JRPG. A JRPG is about the characters, the story, the stats, and above all, the journey. By not focusing on more action-oriented gameplay, the game's resources could instead be spent on creating the illlusion of an immersive journey through world-building, storytelling, stats, and a typically above-average soundtrack. Not only did this appeal to the nerdier sci-fi/fantasy crowd, it also appealed to people who either did not want to play a game that required action gaming skills, or were not very good at action games. In other words, it had a market.

As time went on and gaming became more advanced and well funded, JRPGs became more action-like, and action games became more JRPG-like. Several JRPG conventions are in almost all genres today, but a game with strictly JRPG conventions can still seem anachronistic. However, if you find one with mechanics you can enjoy, an interesting setting, and a tolerable cast, they are very much stiill worth playing.
>>
Be glad you don't like JRPGs, because post-JRPG blues is the most heinous fucking thing a person can experience. I finished a Xenogears replay about 3 weeks ago and the fucker's still haunting me.
>>
>>3828838
>Be glad you don't like JRPGs, because post-JRPG blues is the most heinous fucking thing a person can experience.
I've been a jrpg drought for years. FF and Square in general was my drug, but now they went the way of the mainstream so now I have nothing to fill in that gap. Only shit left now is anime shit with high school settings or stupid waifu bullshit.
>>
>>3815797
I really only played the SNES games. SHould i try this game again?
>>
>>3822925
Chrono Cross
>>
File: check'em.jpg (6KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
check'em.jpg
6KB, 259x195px
>>3827905

you activated my hidden trap card. I'm actually a man-baby in my 30's and can enjoy stuff that is not exclusivly from a time period when I was 4 to 14.
If you can't appreciate the effort the developers make for this show that's your lose... But if you've never watched it well then just a plain old 'fuck you' for you. It's one of the better written shows out there
>>
>>3815804
FF3 on SNES for me
>>
>>3815797
I'm someone who also never had understood the jrpg hype. When I was younger I tried playing the DS FF4 remake several times but never got past the part where you first get the ability to fly. I've tried playing others like Dragon Quest but could barely make it past the tutorial before losing interest.

Then last year I played Xenoblade Chronicles and loved it. Mostly, I liked that the combat seemed more interactive, like I was actually swinging a sword and timing it myself. What kept my attention by far was the world and music. The fact that I was on a giant being fascinated me and I loved the "epic" scale of the story. Then X came out and I played through that too. I enjoyed it too but for different reasons, mostly exploring the world and the more varied combat. Although the story was lacking I still loved the world and setting.

Overall, for me I think I love the feeling of scaling and progression. Also immersing myself into the world and feeling involved in it is a major draw. I'm now playing my first Tales of game (Symphonia) and hoping that the story and setting are able to draw me in again like XC did, although the combat doesn't seem to have much strategy so far (which I don't mind as long as the story and setting involve me).
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.