[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This manga got me legit interested in fighting games. What are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: Hi-Score Girl.png (576KB, 810x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Hi-Score Girl.png
576KB, 810x1152px
This manga got me legit interested in fighting games.
What are some good retro fighters not named Street Fighter 2?
>>
Actually SF2 could be a pretty damn good start because learning it will teach you the basis for pretty much any 2D fighter. Otherwise just try anything by Capcom or SNK.
>>
Karnov's Revenge
>>
Waku Waku 7
>>
KOF 98
TMNT TOURNAMENT FIGHTERS (SNES)
FATAL FURY 3
KILLER INSTINCT
>>
>>3815274
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Garou Mark of the Wolves
King of Fighters '98
King of Fighters 2002
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Vampire Savior
SNK vs. Capcom Match of the Millennium
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown II
The Last Blade
The Last Blade 2
>>
Play every version of every Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Vampire and The Last Blade game ever
>>
>>3815274
Wind Jammers
>>
>>3815389
this anon has basically covered anything that people still play.
>>
>>3815274
Guilty Gear XX is best.
>>
>>3815274
The game from pic is Vampire/Dalkstalkers series. Cool games with anime-ish style and horror movie theme. Contains some hot waifus people still drool about. It's good but personally it's not my cup of tea and I can't say much about it.

As for the rest, these are generally the must-play fighters you should know of:

—Street Fighter Alpha 2/3—somewhat low-budget but cool evolution of SF2. Simple enough for beginners.
—Street Fighter III 3rd Strike—touted by many as "the thinking man's 2D fighter", it's a game known for its good-looking animations, parrying ability and overall depth. FGC's holy cow.
—Marvel vs Capcom series—over-the-top attacks, tons of features, but pretty broken too. Still fun to play and watch.
—King of Fighters '98/2002—2 biggest KoF games where SNK got everything right. Very memorable characters, focus on pressuring, and pretty easy to play.
—Garou: Mark of the Wolves—SNK's "answer" to SFIII. Excellent graphics, but small character roster and somewhat OKish gameplay.
—Samurai Shodown 1/2—perhaps the best SF2 clone in existence. A fighter with feudal Japanese theme, it doesn't have long combos, but offers quite a lot of depth to make up for it.
—Virtua Fighter 2—laid the foundation for all 3D games to come. Not flashy, but very technical fighter.
—Tekken 3—heck, it's Tekken. If you haven't played it, you're sooo lame.
—Dead or Alive 2—very much like Virtua Fighter, but with tits.
—Soulcalibur—probably the most "fun" and easy 3D fighter. The most broken one too.
>>
File: Fighting Game Mains.png (443KB, 2310x5000px) Image search: [Google]
Fighting Game Mains.png
443KB, 2310x5000px
>>3815274
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
The King of Fighters 97, 98, 2000, 2002.
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Savior
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Tekken 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 1
Guilty Gear XX(Any of the XX games are good)
Soul Blade
Soul Calibur 1-2
I think that's all the important ones. Also anyone else in this thread have any mains in /vr/ fighting games?
>>
Fightanvidya and fightcade
>>
File: my chart.jpg (1MB, 1897x2000px) Image search: [Google]
my chart.jpg
1MB, 1897x2000px
>>3816206
still have this old chart but tastes havent changed
>>
>>3816261
That FF Yamazaki has a creepy smile… "Let's give you a butt check"
>>
Samurai Shodown 4, 5 Special and 6 a.k.a Tenka
>>
File: 1457507910426.jpg (72KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
1457507910426.jpg
72KB, 268x265px
>>3815274
Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire: Jackie Chan Densetsu
>>
>>3818391
Umm frankly I think there's not much to add to this thread. The first choices for fighters are always Capcom/SNK/Namco's biggest hits, Virtua Fighter, Guilty Gear, and Killer Instinct/MK. If you've played all of them and still want more, there's a vast library of less known Capcom/SNK fighters, more obscure Neo Geo stuff and 3D fighters, gems like Gundam Wing: Endless Duel and interesting unique games like Bushido Blade.

These games are known for a reason. Beyond this, you have games ranging from OK stuff like Power Instinct and modern waifu fighters, to such turds in the rough like Clay Fighter, all the SFII and MK clones from the early '90s, and pre-SFII fighters like Pit Fighter. Really, unless you have a fever and the only prescription is more fighters, you can (should (must)) safely skip these, and live a fulfilling life playing actually worthy games.
>>
>>3815274
Does anyone else here reads Hi Score Girl?

I think that the manga in general is a good homenage to /vr/ games, both arcades and home consoles, even with plot things happening it never loses the focus of games, the story is cute too but never cheesy, just fun.
>>
>playing fighting games in something else than an arcade
why even bother
>>
>>3818457
>Does anyone else here reads Hi Score Girl?
Me since about 3 years ago, I don't even read/watch other anime/manga.
>>
File: 258.jpg (110KB, 490x503px) Image search: [Google]
258.jpg
110KB, 490x503px
Well Vampire Hunter obviously, since it's in your OP pic.
>>
>>3815274
play KOF98 or SFIII: Third Strike -- well regarded games that are still played somewhat often (both are easy to find matches on Fightcade with, but you'll get bopped if you just jump straight online first thing)
I really like KOF98. Sure, you need to learn 3 characters, but it's not a massively difficult game to pick up. Third Strike is fairly tricky to get going with, in contrast.

if you want other games, literally just look at any of SNK or Capcom's other fighting games
you can ignore most SNK fighters released before 1995 with the exception of Fatal Fury Special and the Samurai Shodown games though
>>
>>3819052
>Sure, you need to learn 3 characters, but it's not a massively difficult game to pick up.
I myself learned from single mode first. Set the number of rounds to 5 and just kept playing and practicing with favorite characters. Then when I felt confident, just picked a good team and trained with it.

I also noticed KoF has somewhat similar moves between many characters. It's all pretty standardized: 90% of characters have an anti-air, some close-range move like rekka, and a projectile or a command grab. There are few chargers or unconventional characters (like Leona, Choi, Chang, etc), but if you don't pick them it's pretty easy to learn. Also, commands are usually similar too: I used to think that commands for grabs were fucked up, but they're mostly either HCF+K/P or HCB,F+K/P.

My recs for easy strong chars:
Ryo (literally a shoto), Terry, Benimaru, Clark, Joe, Mature

Avoid these:
Daimon, Leona, Chin, Choi, Chang, Heidern, Heavy D., Brian
>>
>>3819052
>>3819090
i'd rec 2002 over 98 for new players. it's "easier" to grasp and you can build a good base and grasp on most characters to go back to 98 later

its also pretty effing easy to use kensou, chin and athena team in that game
>>
File: 36598_front.jpg (392KB, 640x654px) Image search: [Google]
36598_front.jpg
392KB, 640x654px
One /vr/ waifu fighter that doesn't suck total ass is pic related.

I know, it doesn't say much, but it fills a particular niche. Gameplay is reminiscent of Alpha 2 and Real Bout.
>>
>>3815274
what's wrong with street fighter 2? it's literally one of the best and most enduring games ever made, regardless of genre.

>>3818457
i haven't started it yet, i think the guy that writes that manga is or was involved in the vampire savior scene in japan to some extent, i heard he still shows up at tournaments. seems pretty cool but i don't have a ton of time to get into reading a new manga any more.

>>3820028
ummmm hello? arcana heart?
>>
>>3820086
Arcana Heart is not /vr/.
>>
>>3820086
>ummmm hello?
Kill yourself. Right now.
>>
>>3819090
>avoid chin, choi, chang

why even live?
>>
>>3820089
i always forget that game is newer than mvc2, the examu board it runs on is basically pentium 4 hardware so it feels pretty retro to me
>>
>>3815274
Be more specific. Do you find SF2 boring in setting? Slow? Do you care for art? Balance? Good single player? Combo length? Do you have issues with team based games? Do you mind not retro? Strictly 2D movement? Micro difficulty? Macro difficulty? Character design? Do you prefer vastly different character playstyles? Want underground stuff? Want to dial-a-combo?
I could go on, but you get the deal.
>>
>>3819414
Well that's arguable.

On the one hand, 2002 has a little bit easier inputs, it's faster and it takes away confusing stuff like Extra Mode. Also, some sprites/animations are improved, but for some it's a matter of taste.

On the other hand, it has some very complex or strange features of its own. Max mode and HSDM are tricky to use and require training. You can go without using them, but then again there are tons of unconventional newcomers like May Lee, Angel, K9999, etc. Also, the hitstun is notably shorter, making some combos arguably harder (e.g. stuff with Terry's df+C).

> kensou, chin and athena
Chin? Isn't 2002 the game where he can't do shit without drinking first? I don't pick him ever anyway, despite I play with 80% of the roster.

>>3820098
To play good characters. I mostly skip matches with Choi, they're all bullshit. Chin isn't too great in neither OG '98 or OG 2002, I barely see him picked in any matches and I've seen a lot of them.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.