[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into Virtua Fighter series. My sole option is emulation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: virtuafighter21.jpg (150KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
virtuafighter21.jpg
150KB, 1024x819px
I want to get into Virtua Fighter series. My sole option is emulation on RetroArch. Where do I start? Tried VF2 with Saturn core, it was a slideshow. Same with MAME core, it works even worse.
>>
Model 2 emulator

http://nebula.emulatronia.com/
>>
File: vf2.jpg (18KB, 236x335px) Image search: [Google]
vf2.jpg
18KB, 236x335px
VF2 is still pretty much perfect.
There was a PC port of VF2 released back in the 90s, not sure how good it is compared to Saturn (which goes at constant 60fps)
>>
Buy a Saturn, cheap faggot.
>>
>>3814910
>buying an abortion of a console to play a shitty port when you can just emulate the arcade version on any computer
Why do people keep pushing the Saturn meme?
>>
>>3814910
Why not a factory sealed arcade cabinet, huh
>>
>>3814909
>There was a PC port of VF2 released back in the 90s, not sure how good it is compared to Saturn (which goes at constant 60fps)

It has better lightning and an option for using the model 2, er, character models instead of the Saturn ones. Backgrounds are same as Saturn I thinkg.

>>3814920
Being able to play 300+ games without worrying about emulation errors for $100 is now a meme?
>>
>>3814920
>shitty port
It goes at 1 extra frame then the arcade version, and has more modes and options.
>>
>>3814928
Clearly equivalent choices
>>
>>3814932
>It goes at 1 extra frame then the arcade version
Damn, you've sold me.
>>
>>3814902
>retroarch
>>
>>3814902

There is an XBLA/PSN version that's definitive available.
>>
>>3814963
Wasn't trying to sell your sorry ass, just making clear it isn't a shitty port.
>>
You can buy a used PS2 and Virtua Fighter 4 Evo for $65, or buy a used PS3 and Virtua Fighter 5 for $90 if you want online.
>>
>>3814902
Model 2 arcade emulation is flawless with >>3814907, stop using Retroarch you shader whore.
>>
>>3814902
>Tried VF2 with Saturn core, it was a slideshow.

Did you tried enabling threaded video for the core?
>>
>>3815281
>buy for PS2
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Get an HDD and stick it inside a fatty model. You will get both VF2 and VF4 Evo plus extras like Fighting Vipers and The Last Bronx.

>buy for PS3
ABSOLUTELY! Get VF5 Final Showdown for $15 or if you like customization get the $30 complete set.
>>
Although I know the Genesis "port" of VF2 is terrible, but me and a friend spent an entire afternoon playing it one day and it was enough to hook us up into the series.
>>
>>3815346
>the Genesis "port" of VF2 is terrible
it's actually a really well made 2D fighting game.
>>
i wish virtua fighter 3 had a good port
>>
>> >>3815347
I don't think so
>>
File: tumblr_nc2t14tiU41slig2vo1_400.gif (2MB, 280x199px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nc2t14tiU41slig2vo1_400.gif
2MB, 280x199px
the evade button in vf3 was kinda funky but it resulted in super fun movement once you got the hang of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXMim20eNs&feature=player_detailpage#t=1733

really underrated game imo
>>
>>3814902
Dont waste your time virtua fighter is shit
>>
Play it in Yakuza 5
>>
>>3815318
Hm, no… Thanks, I'll try it.

>>3815467
Ayy it's the local anti-VF troll
>>
Somebody already suggested the Genesis version but I'm going to speculate that OP is running RetroArch on a Wii in which case I'd suggest getting the virtual console version
>>
>>3815676
>>3815346
How terrible is it? Is it "GB fighting game ports" tier?
>>
Anyone else unironically really like Sonic the Fighters?
>>
>>3815350
It is a good port, just not arcade-perfect graphics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsdwrrOoTg
>>
>>3815867
How's VF3 for a starting point? Will evade button fuck up my perception of it?
>>
>>3815859
>Is it "GB fighting game ports" tier?

No, it's a solid 16-bit 2d fighter. The animation is extremely choppy and that makes the game look more like 8-bit, but I imagine that's because they had to pull over a shit load of animation for all the moves.

But the gameplay is pretty damn solid, for what it is. It plays like VF2 with choppy animation.

>>3815898
If you mean a starting point for getting into VF, play VF2 first. VF3 was very experimental, it did things decades ahead of its time, and some of those things weren't yet "figured out" for best gameplay so to speak. So a lot of stuff it did was removed or changed up later.
And IMO the graphics were not up to how advanced the gameplay was. Things like joints look fucked up for example.

Go for VF2, maybe Fighters Megamix if you want to get used to the extra moves from VF3, then go for VF4/evo/VF5. Then once you are hooked, send daily hate mail to Sega until they make VF6.
>>
>>3815943
OK. I hope I get decent emulation of VF on Model 2 emulator or at least RetroArch's Yabause. If it fails I'll try Genesis version.
>>
>>3815982
Are you using a Wii?
>>
>>3815982
>Yabause
Use Mednafen Saturn core ffs.
>>
>>3816002
No, I'm on OS X. I can run it on Windows but it's a bit of a hassle

>>3816010
It's slow. I tried threaded video and it's alright, but still slower than needed. I'll try playing with settings
>>
>>3816018
Well there is a Windows 95 version of VF2
>>
>>3815982
Yabause is a joke.

Just buy a fucking Saturn ffs, it costs something like $50 and you only need a piece of tape and a $1 demo disc to run backups.
>>
>>3815284
>Model 2 arcade emulation is flawless with >>3814907

Wrong.

Graphically it stills leaves something to be desired, and not all games function correctly. Virtua Striker has issues with sound desync, and Last Bronx crashes at the bonus stage, to name but two examples.

It's still the best we've got, though.
>>
>>3815867
aren't there gameplay inconsistencies in the dreamcast version?

like wolf being able to get a free pickup after giant swing
>>
>>3817796
I wish ElSemi would opensource his work. It's getting dated and need new blood.
>>
>>3818705
To say the least. Years between minor updates, and now no updates for 3 whole years. We've basically been playing more or less the same emulator for the past 10 years. And that's a bad sign.

He won't do it though, mind you. I don't know what it is about Spanish cultures, but they're really protective of relatively irrelevant creations, and try to profit off of their stuff in anyway they can, usually. Hell, a lot of Latin Americans actually sell roms. Unironically. And no one seems to have a problem with it either. Not to mention using Adfly and the like. I know emulation is a bit sketchy in the first place, but it isn't a justification for being an asshole.
>>
>>3818705
Getting open sourced does not mean that the emulation will improve. Gens was open sourced and it took something like 6 years to get it working on 32bit desktops (it used to switch to 16-bit mode). Yabause is open source, and if anything, it just keeps getting worse with every new release.

If there would be anyone else capable of writing a decent model 2 emu, and keep it open source, it would already be in MAME.
>>
What's the best MAME?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.